Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Where to start?

Cam12399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want to start reading marvel comics, but everything seems so confusing. I was thinking I'd like to start with an avengers and maybe an xmen title but there are so many different ones. I would also prefer to start with a more recent version. Can someone help me out?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By waezi2

@cam12399: I would recommend the Avenger series from the late 90's, written by Busiek. It's a good start-point. It was he book that got me into Marvel Comics.

No Caption Provided

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how far you want to go back. Are you looking to jump in on a current run or are you wanting older stories and work your way up?

Cam12399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think id only want to go back to around the 2000s but I'll consider checking out the 90s if it's there, thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@cam12399: Find a team you like and read up on them. Like Waezi said, the Avengers is a good place to start, however the writing isn't always that great (Busiek is fine, just later stuff tends to be a bit...weak).

If you're willing to go back into the late 90s, I'd suggest reading Thunderbolts. Like, from the beginning, not the new stuff (with Punisher and Elektra and Deadpool and such). It's reeeeally good.

Cam12399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And is there a good recent sport to start with xmen?

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the Ultimate books from when they started, they really good and you won't get confused with continuity.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Marvel have a million varieties of the same book, it's so discouraging. They should really do something about that.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ScarletBatman

Start with any Marvel NOW! #1. They are designed to be new reader friendly and are perfect jumping on points :)

If you want to go back further, I would highly suggest you subscribe to Marvel Comics Unlimited, which is the Netflix of Marvel comics (including access to over 13,000 issues and all brand new comics from 6 months ago). It is an amazing tool you can use to catch up all the cool stories from the past to the present.

If you go that route, you cannot beat New Avengers #1 by Brian Michael Bendis. It is a solid starting point and will usher you through all of the most important storylines that dominated the era (Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, etc.).

If you prefer X-Men... Well, I'd honestly start with Morrison's run on New X-Men (#114). From there, head into both Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and M-Day event. From there, things get a bit more complicated but by then you will be an experienced comic reader and will be able to meander through the various cross overs like a pro :)

Cam12399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i was thinking of reading the new avengers but should i start with avengers disassembled first? I read something about them being linked?(new avengers)

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cam12399 said:

Yeah i was thinking of reading the new avengers but should i start with avengers disassembled first? I read something about them being linked?(new avengers)

Disassembled is the capstone to the old Avengers and tells you why the team was sundered. The New Avengers (By Brian Michael Bendis) starts a brand new story several months in the future where the team is re-founded by a new group of individuals (some of whom were only tangentially related to the Avengers previously). Disassembled is not required reading but it does give you a bit of context. There's no harm in reading it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Read it for a good grasp on the Marvel universe.
    Read it for a good grasp on the Marvel universe.

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cam12399: well if you like Hulk a we are only a few issues into a new HULK series just called "HULK" so far I love it, and now a new series called Savage Hulk is about to start so if you like Old Green Skin this is a great time to get to know him as those series are just starting.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the big events in Marvel then transition outwards. I read AVX then went on to finish avengers academy and im reading all new xmen now

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.