Where to start

#1 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello everybody, I don't know where to begin. I am a huge DC fan, especially about the Bat, I read the Bat comics every months and everything, even if I began reading comics after The New 52 Relaunch, I have read many Pre-52 comics like Knightfall, Hush etc.... But here's the thing, i've never read any Marvel comics, I've only watched a few movies but I think it is time I begin to read comics. The question ? Where do I start ? 'cause I really don't know a goddamn thing about Marvel. The only cartoons I've watched when I was a kid were DC's.

#2 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

anybody ?

#3 Posted by Mucklefluga (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello everybody, I don't know where to begin. I am a huge DC fan, especially about the Bat, I read the Bat comics every months and everything, even if I began reading comics after The New 52 Relaunch, I have read many Pre-52 comics like Knightfall, Hush etc.... But here's the thing, i've never read any Marvel comics, I've only watched a few movies but I think it is time I begin to read comics. The question ? Where do I start ? 'cause I really don't know a goddamn thing about Marvel. The only cartoons I've watched when I was a kid were DC's.

It depends, what characters do you want to read about?

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Marvel just relaunched as Marvel Now so you might want to look into that.

And you can always try searching online "the best ____ stories" and try the most popular ones.

BB

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

You can start with some Marvel NOW titke but it depends on the characters you are most interested in.

#6 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't have anything to do with the recent movie but I'm kinda interested in Iron Man (Best Batmanlike in Marvel ?)

#7 Posted by p3t3r133 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to start a while back I suggest starting with the New Avengers, and as you come to events read those. The new Avengers is pretty central to many of the big events that happen in the 2000's and helps tie things together. I recommend not reading X-Men of any sorts if you are new, its a whole other bag of confusing cross overs. A great place to start Iron Man is at the Extremis story line, it gives you a retcon of his origin and is one my favorite runs he has it also is near the start of New Avengers. Spider man had a big reboot a while back with Brand New Day. But if you want to start more recently Dan Slott's Big Time is the start of all thats going on now in Superior spider-man.

Or you can just start with Marvel Now! All the writers were moved around and its supposed to be a great jump on place, they did this a while back with .1, but this seems bigger.

#8 Edited by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@russcovito: Hmmm If you're a Batman fan I would recommend:

• Black Panther
  • New Avengers (current)
  • Pre-Dying wish Spider-man (Spider-island era) or if you're quite happy to follow a sociopathic, murdering, genius you may like current Superior Spider-man

#9 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok thanks everybody ! So, I did understand right if I say that Marvel Now ! Is a Reboot just Luke New 52 is ? I'm not sure about liking Spidey a lot.. Maybe I should give it a try..

#10 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

What about "Ultimate" ?

#11 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Any reason your dipping into Marvel, is it just the Marvel movie craze? I would stick with what you know. The closest thing to the batwagon in Marvel is the Wolverine wagon and he's nothing like batman. Event Deadpool is a horse of a different color. I would pick up a few trades from Marvel like the big events " Civil War" " Secret Invasion" those use all the characters and with that you can see who you'd like to utilize further with.

#12 Posted by tupiaz (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

@russcovito said:

Ok thanks everybody ! So, I did understand right if I say that Marvel Now ! Is a Reboot just Luke New 52 is ? I'm not sure about liking Spidey a lot.. Maybe I should give it a try..

Nope not really just a relaunch. As far as I know all the old continuity still exist.

#13 Posted by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabidwolfdog No I didn't like the movies at all, and after the few Iron Man that I've just read I know who I'd like to "utilize further with"

#14 Edited by Russcovito (115 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just read Civil War, and I clearly understood two things : first is, the Marvel world is not as bad as I thought it was, the second thing is that Iron Man surely doesn't have anything to do with Batman. Now I am a bit interested in Wolverine, anyone could suggest me any Major-arcs to read ?

#15 Edited by Jackmaa (47 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.