Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

What If... Marvel did some decent What Ifs for a change

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By leokearon

I can't help but fear the latest batch of What IF?s by Marvel.  

As well as What IF? 200, there is  WHAT IF? WOLVERINE: FATHER , WHAT IF? DARK REIGN - THE OSBORN ASSASSINATION and  WHAT IF? SPIDER-MAN.  

The main problem with Marvel's recent batch of What If ever since they did these One-shots, is that they just make things worse. Baicially if fans didn't like the ending to a story, Marvel make a what if to show us that the lame ending we got was the best case scenerio. Many of them don't even have anyone from the original creative team. I wish they would stop making these, they are nothing compared to the earlier versions of What If?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Some were good, I thought. Except BNB, in which case I would have LIKED IT if Kingpin died and Aunt May survived - if only to prevent OMD from happening.

Will there be an Osborn Assassination What If?

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By leokearon
    @JediXMan said:
    "Some were good, I thought. Except BNB, in which case I would have LIKED IT if Kingpin died and Aunt May survived - if only to prevent OMD from happening.  Will there be an Osborn Assassination What If? "

There is, it's going to be called Dark Reign -  The Osborn Assassination (as mentioned above) it will deal with what if Clint Barton had Killed Osbron when he had the chance
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

The thing with the What If...? titles is that they always have to end miserably.  The conclusion of ths story must involve mass death & tragedy in order for regular continuity to look better.  Consequently, all the What If...? stories end up badly written.

I don't think it's possible to have a decent What If...? story.  Real shame.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#5  Edited By cbishop

My only gripe with the newer What If's - and this is since about the latter half of the second series - is that the covers don't ask questions anymore.  That's what drew me to What If as a kid.  "What If Dr. Doom Had Become a Hero?" (#22, first series).  "What If Daredevil Became an Agent of SHIELD?" (#28, first series - all time classic).  "What If Conan the Barbarian Were Stranded in the 20th Century?" (#43, first series).  Awesome, attention grabbing covers! 

The later covers were just "What If starring..." blah, and of course the newer covers like "What If Secret Wars" or "What If Thor."  I think it was changed like that as a reaction to DC's Elseworlds, but if that was the intent (to compete with Elseworlds), then why not make "What If?" a logo in the corner, the way DC does it, and give the story an actual title, like "Daredevil: Agent of SHIELD?"  I'd buy that, as opposed to just "What If: Daredevil."  Geez, that could cover anything.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By thechessclub

I think they should do What if...Deadpool wore a cape. I think that would be a funny read

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of the really recent batch i can say what i said elsewhere. Hit and miss. Lately usually sort of flat, but
    theres that occasional story that's intriguing. My actual honest to god preferance would be they didnt try
    to write them well, and went the exact opposite and wrote silly off the wall stuff like the classic What Ifs?
    we're. I loved that stuff! I actually remember when they first tried making What Ifs? serious, and as xerox-kitty
    pointed out, they also through in heavy grit and gore tones to try and solidify that edge. There was a Sabretooth
    one that was not all too bad, a mutated Spider-Man one, a couple of others. It really didnt last though. Bare in mind
    that was during the " vigilante " era of comics. Image Comics we're stepping up hard at the time, and anything
    with big guns set the tone for anything else. So this was sort of a natural evolution. Still i'll take the wacky stuff.
    I could read that crap all week long and never tire of it. I won't get that wish, i know, but a guy can dream. 
    And the dollar bins are always hopping with excitement for me...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cbishop
    @CATMANEXE: The Watcher cover I knew about, but... 

Where did the Sheep-Boy and Wolver-Wimp covers come from?  They're not shown on CV.  Are they fakes, or are they pinups from the inside of the books?
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cbishop: 
    Edited: 
    a bit sleepy here sorry, but from what i've seen of you your and intellect and deserve a better answer than i gave.
    there art from the interior of What If? V2 #100. the story's are actually one dealing with the Fantastic 4 ending up in the
    Land Of Oz (the now classic Earth-Fantastic-Voyage story, Fantastic Voyage by Coolio plays in my head when i type that, 
    idaknow,  lol).
    The other deals with Mr.Sinister knowing the Greatest Secret Of The Marvel Universe as the true cover implies
    (and nope, I can't tell you what that secret is, sorry).  

The images we're chosen to illustrate a point. What I personally
    think the current batch of What Ifs? is missing is fun! The thing WI had going for it was that it wasn't constrained.
    Stories we're open for the writers to do anything and everything that sprung to their imaginations without limit, and
    I as a reader was delighted to not only actually be surprised by what happened next, but got the break from the 
    mainline of stories that I needed. 

As time past What If? started to become cliche' to its own name. The stories
    would be told more and more so in the vantage of " how it would logically proceed if this parameter in time
    was changed ". Biggest problem there of course is predictability. I could read them and know the outcome.
    That took away what was special and fun about What If? to begin with. The number one improvement they can
    make in my view is to make the current stuff just off the wall, with no rules whatsoever to guide it. Not unlike
    the very recent tribute/incarnation of Strange Tales (everyone should seriously read this, it had Jhonen Vasquez
    doing a MODOK story, nuff said!).

On another note i was thinking on this last night, and i kind of pointed myself to more celebrated alternate universe 
    stories like Age Of Apocalypse, and DC Comics Tangent, and Amalgam, and tired to put my finger on what made those
    different than What If's? I think I found an answer, especially in the prior two, and its something that would greatly improve
    the What If? series as well. In the case of both Amalgam and Tangent, the stories we're told from the perspective that they
    we're "happening now", or a better description would be, they were "this months issue". Alot of What Ifs? recently go right into
    the very end. Amalgam and Tangent did things like they would point reference to prior issues in their contained universe
    that never actually existed as if they had, and the stories picked up from the so called "last issue" and usually ended with the
    " in the next issue/ to be continued " that we find in every main universe comic. They even went the distance as to make fake letters
    pages posing questions and rants about non-existent prior issues in the series, and characters from them, just to give it real
    authentic feel. I think that formula worked very well, and would in the What if? series as well, and would be another way to eliminate
    some of the predetermined story outcome and therefore predictability.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cbishop
    @CATMANEXE: Lol, the short answer was fine, man (saw it in my PM box), but thank you for elaborating.  I like the fun stuff, but I don't want them all to be fun - then it becomes like the What The?! title.  I liked the older WI, that the Watcher narrated.  I like how he'd say, "On your world, it happened like this, but what if...?"  Then the story would play out, and when the major difference had been laid out, the Watcher would come back in and say, "Because it happened like this, [whoever] was not there to prevent [ABC] so [XYZ] happened."  Those are cool. 

This doesn't really change my gripe though.  My main gripe is still that there's no question on the covers.  Those got my attention more than the current titles of "What If? Spider-Man," or whoever.  A title like that doesn't tell me anything except it's about Spider-Man.  "What If Spider-Man Refused Mephisto's Deal?" tells me that the issue is going to tangent from just before Brand New Day, and it will mean everyone still knows Spidey is Peter Parker, and wow, now I want to read that story. 

Titles are 
    Intended 
    T
    Let you know
    Enough about the 
    Story to make you want to read it!

;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.