Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

What does Marvel own?

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal Chaos

What other comicbook companies belong to Marvel? Does Marvel own the Topcow, Image, Darkhorse, Vertigo? What does it own. Please IM me if you know what it owns.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zee crusher

They dotn own any of those marvel is popular because they came out 6 years after dc came out with superman they had their first person namor then they cae otu with human torch although he was hsi own and he sucked lol those other companies they are their own and arent really that popular because nto really ment for kids.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Marvel is basically three companies; Marvel Entertainment Inc. (based in NYC, handles the comics), Marvel Studios (based in Beverly Hills, games and films) and Marvel Entertainment International Ltd. (based in England, getting it to us foreigners). They also own Cover Concepts (which is free stuff for schools http://www.coverconcepts.com/ ) and Toybiz (guess what they do).

Just for completness, DC is owned by Time Warner ultimately, but is a company in it's own right. It owns Vertigo, CMX and Wildstorm. Unlike Marvel who produce movies alongside other studios, usually Fox or Paramount (depending who bought the rights), anything by DC is made by Warner Bros. (although there's no reason someone else couldn't make it under liscence).

GoocherLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GoocherLee

Doesn't Marvel still own Malibu Comics and its respective characters [Mantra, Prime, Ultraverse, etc.]?

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Malibu doesn't exist as a seperate identity anymore like Wildstorm does. From the Marvel boards:

"Malibu, is the only independent publisher that Marvel bought up since the old days when Timely and Atlas comics merged to become Marvel. All Malibu titles that pertained to "Ultraverse" are now an imprint of Marvel. But waning popularity and rights issues with the creators of the characters prevents Marvel from really doing anything but mention the Ultraverse in the Marvel Handbooks."

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Well does Marvel have some rights to any of these because I noticed they were making action figures for Witchblade.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eternal Chaos

I'm guessing Marvel has quite rights to alot of characters like Darkness, Judge Death, Monkeyman, Pitt, Witchblade... etc

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darth Paul

[quote]I'm guessing Marvel has quite rights to alot of characters like Darkness, Judge Death, Monkeyman, Pitt, Witchblade... etc[/quote] Marvel doesn't own the characters, but when Toybiz recently got renamed and reorganized into Marvel Toys, they decided to start expanding the lineup of characters in their Legends line beyond just their own characters so they sought licences from some popluar independents to produce toys for them. Why DC just didn't make DC Direct figures for the Wildstorm characters is beyond me.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

They probably make them under license. Witchblade (for instance) is published by Top Cow, who unlike Marvel and DC, don't have a toy division. Top Cow, Image and TMP are three independant partners. Many of their characters are creator owned.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eternal Chaos

o0o. I was reading something a few days ago that Marvel purchased some rights to the Darkness. It's even on his page. Type in The Darkness in the search thing here.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Methos

Eternal Chaos says:

"o0o. I was reading something a few days ago that Marvel purchased some rights to the Darkness. It's even on his page. Type in The Darkness in the search thing here."

i bloody well hope thats just a rumor...

Darkness should stay with TopCow, they have done amazing things with it... if it goes to marvel it will probably be ruined

M

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Prodigal Son

I think (guessing here) this might be a product of the recent Top Cow/Marvel crossover. Maybe Marvel got some toy marketing rights out of the deal. I think CS said it above, but Top Cow is inter-related with Image, that's why you see a lot of Image/Top Cow issues published.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Methos

i'm still hoping it's just a rumor...

Marvel do do good comics, no mistake there...

but they're not dark enough (no pun intended) to equal the last run of The Darkness... they'll make the character to 'super', where his normal, human side, is one of the more attractive qualities of the character

M

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eternal Chaos

I think that Marvel and Top Cow should join and wind up making their own stuff like they do now, just share certain rights to certain characters because if the teams work together, that's be really cool. Like picture the symbiotes working with characters like the Darkness, or like a rival for Mephisto being The Darkness ya know? It'd be really cool. Seeing some of these characters fight it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.