Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

What can be done to revitalize Marvel?

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By cosmo111687

If, like me, you feel that the quality of Marvel books have declined, what would you do to improve their story-writing/re-vitaliaze their characters? 

And if you don't think they're in decline, then which recent books would you cite as examples of contemporary Marvel at their best?

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

well I realy lke the invincible iron man by fraction, the pretty recent hawkeye and mockingbird mini and avengers academy that are just a few of them

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Go read Uncanny X-force, Invincible Iron Man, Venom, Amazing Spider-man, Ghost Rider, Thunderbolts and Avengers Academy.  

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I could go on about how Marvel could have done so many new things with Captain America and how they've thrown any chance of us seeing something new t in favor of a movie...but I know that would only turn into a rant. :P

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

I always find this type of question hard to answer, because I like to force myself to remember that billions of dollars are at stake, and so are many jobs of the people employed at Marvel lol and times are tough, generally money wise, and fans are... weird. I mean, I think the quality of a book like Journey Into Mystery, is better than Uncanny X-Men. I chose that example, because both are written by the same writer. Journey Into Mystery got to start pretty fresh ground up almost though, so I feel more of the writer gets to shine though. In Uncanny, they are carrying over plots from other writers and characters were already dealing with things before he picked up the pen. There is going to be a transition period. I think its a good book though... just not as good, original, creative or fun as Journey Into Mystery... thing is, I also understand why Uncanny X-Men sells twice as much. It has Emma Frost, Colossus, Cyclops, Magneto, Wolverine, in it usually, each week, on the cover so on... Journey Into Mystery has a little Thor, but mainly Loki is the main character. Now, I like Loki, and I like Thor, and I like Asgard so its easy for me to take a chance on that book. For all I know, there might be some awesome indy book I am missing out on each week because I have no interest in steam punk, or erm ladies (thats a Lady Mechanika reference yes)  

Now... suppose Marvel could promote Journey Into Mystery more, and harder... but what if people still don't pick up the book, and instead just continue to pick up Wolverine the Best There Is or New Avengers? (not that there is anything wrong with those books, I actually like both kinda) I loved this mini from a while back, by Oeming, Ares. Totally revitalized the character and made him three dimensional and badass. I would have much preferred he wrote Siege than Bendis. and objectively, I think the end product would have been better, given the characters involved and the themes involved and the scope. (also would love Bendis writing more Alias or even imagine him doing Shadowland?) Then again, Siege would probably, possibly, not sold as well. I am not sure by how much, but given the tough times we are in... then again... this big event could have raised Oeming's profile enough that the next ongoing book he started writing sold better since that exposure writing a big event would let people know him and his style and this follow him. Then maybe the next event he did would do really well, 2 years later... so in a way its really about risk taking and risk management.  

Marvel could be more proactive and take risks that could pay off in the future, but I can understand how now, they are sort of more on the defensive, acting out of fear almost, reacting to us customers and sticking to really tired and stale gimmicks to wring money from people. I mean, to return to Journey Into Mystery, its a Fear Itself tie in. One out of like... 50 lol I love tie ins, and will get most of them, but a lot of people will probably just skip it and assume its pointless like the rest, so we are jaded... but sort of for a good reason. Except if we don't care about quality and only about money (which is our right) Marvel itself sort of will do the same... care more about the money and less about the quality and thus flood the market with tie ins because short term, will make more money.  

Anyway, books I recommend, are X-Factor, X-Men Legacy, Secret Warriors, Amazing Spider-man, Avengers Academy, Journey Into Mystery, Herc. Hmmm. Yeah... oh and Heroes For Hire... 

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Keep Fraction on Iron Man, Gillen on Thor and loose the mega events for a few years, personalised stories and only have events take place in the main titular characters book.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By harleyquinn12

Read Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts. The first few trades are out. Admittadly, it has been getting bogged down in fear Itself, but everything before that is gold. The characters play off of each other very nicely, and it's a crazy fun book. Heroes for hire is another good one. If you like street level characters, then this is great for you. Another crazy book. There are really no consequences, so anything can happen.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Shadowdoggy

what can be done? 
    nothing short of re-stabilizing the world economy is going to breathe life into the failing print media industry 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.