Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Ultraverse & CrossGen - Anyone wanna see them revived by Marvel?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

Or should I say revived by Disney?  Since they own both CrossGen and Marvel (which owns Ultraverse). 

Anyone else miss characters like Prime, MantraHardcase, PrototypeRune, Ultraforce, or Exiles?   

What about Sojourn, Sigil, Negotiation, or Scion?  

I read something about contract structure prohibiting this from being revived again, but remember when DC bought Fawcett out in the 50's and the Shazam character was put to rest?  After years of fan demand, they eventually brought that character back after almost 20 years later. 

So with enough fan suport there may be hope that Disney/Marvel may do the same with the Ultraverse and CrossGen characters in the near future.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Marvel pretty much ballsed up with the UltraVerse in the early 90's.  Although times & comic tastes have changed, I don't think Disney would have much to do with those characters.

Slow Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Slow Burn

I loved the comics so i want it to happen

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Golden Cod

How interesting was Ultraverse?   I only remember seeing the cartoon, which probably isn't an accurate gauge of the comics' actual writing.   Although the cartoon included some heavy stuff for kids (the Zuke drug addiction storyline, hard choices), other parts of it felt really silly.   I really wanted to smack Prime and I shouted at the TV screen for Prototype to give Iron Man his armor back.

If Marvel were to revive Ultraverse, it certainly would be under a different title though because it's too similar to Ultimate Marvel.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Golden Cod said:
    "How interesting was Ultraverse?   I only remember seeing the cartoon, which probably isn't an accurate gauge of the comics' actual writing.   Although the cartoon included some heavy stuff for kids (the Zuke drug addiction storyline, hard choices), other parts of it felt really silly.   I really wanted to smack Prime and I shouted at the TV screen for Prototype to give Iron Man his armor back. If Marvel were to revive Ultraverse, it certainly would be under a different title though because it's too similar to Ultimate Marvel. "

I do remember that cartoon... I think it was just Ultra Force though (not Ultraverse), but I maybe wrong.  One thing that struck me was that the cartoon was pretty serious with the 1st episode actually ending with one of the members dying, Pixx

Remember the live action Night Man show? 

Imagine you're a dude waking up in a body like this? Yes, you wouldn't be able to stop staring at them too.
    Imagine you're a dude waking up in a body like this? Yes, you wouldn't be able to stop staring at them too.
    Anyway, Prime I though was a great character because it dealt with a 10-year old or so kid having the responsibilty of being a super hero; something that DC never fully capitalized on Shazam because whenever Billy Baston transformed to Captain Marvel, so did his age and maturity. 

Another one was Mantra (the original version, not Mantra II revised by Marvel), basically a guy reincarnated in a woman's body.  It was a very amusing read to say the least coping with the character's new found gender journey along with his/her power.
    Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

The Ultraverse was just starting and then Marvel messed everything up. 
     Marvel said they wanted Malibu for their coloring studio, and/or its catalog of movie-licensable properties. Others believe that Marvel simply wanted to put a significant competitor out of business.   

The later is what I believe. They were a competitor and unfortunately they sold out to Marvel.

There's a lot that can be done with the Ultraverse. 
    I hope something can be done with them in the near future.  
    With very little or nothing changed from their original model, or it will not work. 

BlaqueSaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BlaqueSaber

I disagree with   Cezar_TheScribe 
    I do want to see things done, both with the Ultraverse & CrossGen but I feel that there things that need to be done with the ULTRAVERSE to "fix" what was done by the Black Infinity event (Marvel taking over).

No Caption Provided
    THE NIGHTMAN
    I'd use Johny Domino's comic book (as well as Steve Englehart's original pitch to Marvel) to both fix what Marvel's done so far with the ULTRAVERSE and spearhead the new ULTRAVERSE launch.  There are two Nightmen: 1 in the Marvel U and 1 in the Ultraverse U.  Their paths begin to cross, across dimensions, and as the two Johny's simultaneously (neither knowing that the other is still alive or working on the same issue) tackle the same issues they inadvertently reverse the effects of the INFINITY event from the ULTRAVERSE at all leaving Johny Domino/Nightman in the ULTRAVERSE with quickly fading fragmented memories of what had transpired and Johnathan Domingo in the Marvel Universe who doesn't need to sleep and can hear evil thoughts but seems to have lost his memory.

No Caption Provided
    SOLITAIRE
    Solitaire is put back to normal (with the Nanites in his body instead of in his suit) as an evil corporation that his father Anton Lone had unsuccessfully attempted to take over sends an assassin to kill Anton, Solitaire, and Jin.  Solitaire escapes to fight this new organization that's taken over all crime along the west coast, in large part, by absorbing Anton Lone's organization (many of whom are Solitaire's agents).
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I would LOVE to see Ultraverse brought into the Marvel universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.