Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Ultimate Universe line cancelled? (Hope NOT)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter
    TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TrueMarvel

Best thing to go on in marvel in the last decade. If they are conceling there best comics then Marvel is full of idiots. It'd be like DC canceling batman.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

If they really are cancelling the line, I think it's for the best. The original point for the Ultimate Universe was to bring a more modern and grounded version of the classic Marvel heroes, such as Spider-Man, the Avengers, and the X-Men. But since the launch of the Ultimate U, this idea of grounding the characters in a more realistic world has bled over into the mainstream universe and for years now writers have taken bits and pieces of things from the Ultimate Universe and incorporated them into the mainstream one. Personally I don't feel that's a bad thing, though I know some will disagree. The Ultimate U really was Marvel's way of playing around with ideas that they weren't sure would work in the mainstream universe, tinkering and changing things up; getting fan reactions and seeing what did and didn't work for the characters. If anything it was more of a playground for writers to mess with the classic status quo that fans so deeply latch onto without upsetting hardcore fans.

But now, the mainstream universe has slowly been incorporating things from the Ultimate U so much so, with things such as making the Avenger a more grounded superhero team, giving them closer ties to groups like S.H.I.E.L.D., tweaking certain characters and looks, such as Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, etc. All to the point that the Ultimate U has become outdated and is simply another random alternate universe. It just doesn't have the same feeling of "epicness" that it originally had, in my opinion, and I feel that it's time to put the universe away for the time being.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@War Killer said:

If they really are cancelling the line, I think it's for the best. The original point for the Ultimate Universe was to bring a more modern and grounded version of the classic Marvel heroes, such as Spider-Man, the Avengers, and the X-Men. But since the launch of the Ultimate U, this idea of grounding the characters in a more realistic world has bled over into the mainstream universe and for years now writers have taken bits and pieces of things from the Ultimate Universe and incorporated them into the mainstream one. Personally I don't feel that's a bad thing, though I know some will disagree. The Ultimate U really was Marvel's way of playing around with ideas that they weren't sure would work in the mainstream universe, tinkering and changing things up; getting fan reactions and seeing what did and didn't work for the characters. If anything it was more of a playground for writers to mess with the classic status quo that fans so deeply latch onto without upsetting hardcore fans. But now, the mainstream universe has slowly been incorporating things from the Ultimate U so much so, with things such as making the Avenger a more grounded superhero team, giving them closer ties to groups like S.H.I.E.L.D., tweaking certain characters and looks, such as Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, etc. All to the point that the Ultimate U has become outdated and is simply another random alternate universe. It just doesn't have the same feeling of "epicness" that it originally had, in my opinion, and I feel that it's time to put the universe away for the time being.

I kind of agree with all this too. It seems like ever since Ultimatum happened, it's kind of hard to really follow the Ultimate Universe characters without half of the other characters being there.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

Good riddance. It started off very strong, but turned to... Ultimatum...

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

If they really are cancelling the line, I think it's for the best. The original point for the Ultimate Universe was to bring a more modern and grounded version of the classic Marvel heroes, such as Spider-Man, the Avengers, and the X-Men. But since the launch of the Ultimate U, this idea of grounding the characters in a more realistic world has bled over into the mainstream universe and for years now writers have taken bits and pieces of things from the Ultimate Universe and incorporated them into the mainstream one. Personally I don't feel that's a bad thing, though I know some will disagree. The Ultimate U really was Marvel's way of playing around with ideas that they weren't sure would work in the mainstream universe, tinkering and changing things up; getting fan reactions and seeing what did and didn't work for the characters. If anything it was more of a playground for writers to mess with the classic status quo that fans so deeply latch onto without upsetting hardcore fans. But now, the mainstream universe has slowly been incorporating things from the Ultimate U so much so, with things such as making the Avenger a more grounded superhero team, giving them closer ties to groups like S.H.I.E.L.D., tweaking certain characters and looks, such as Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, etc. All to the point that the Ultimate U has become outdated and is simply another random alternate universe. It just doesn't have the same feeling of "epicness" that it originally had, in my opinion, and I feel that it's time to put the universe away for the time being.

I kind of agree with all this too. It seems like ever since Ultimatum happened, it's kind of hard to really follow the Ultimate Universe characters without half of the other characters being there.

Ironically, if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons for the Ultimate U was to allow new readers to access a universe full of their classic characters without them feeling overwhelmed by the decades worth of history for said characters. But now, 10+ years have passed since Marvel launched the Ultimate Universe and now there's 10+ years of history that make it very difficult to get into the universe. I mean the only one that would be really accessible would be Ultimate Spider-Man as all you need to know is that Peter Parker was the original Spider-Man, then he died, and now there's a new Spider-Man trying to live up to the original. I don't believe you need to read all of the original USM with Peter to understand Miles' story, just the basics. But the same can't be said for other Ultimate titles. X-Men is confusingly chaotic to the point that I can't even think of where a good place to jump in is, Ultimates has almost the same problem, I mean Cap's the President of the U.S., yeeeaaah, not confusing at all for new readers... <_<

Honestly I feel Marvel should focus more on the whole Point One comics they've started doing recently, but point more energy and thought into them. Instead of telling new readers you need to buy so and so trades to understand a current storyline, they should instead just lay out the basics of said characters, how they became a hero, and get them caught up with what the character is currently up to. Personally I don't see anything wrong with Marvel just retelling the origins of certain characters (like Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc.) but keeping it consistent each time they are retold while also making it easy for new readers to jump into the current series of said character without feeling lost or like they missed something. (like Superior Spider-Man for example).
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

Ironically, if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons for the Ultimate U was to allow new readers to access a universe full of their classic characters without them feeling overwhelmed by the decades worth of history for said characters. But now, 10+ years have passed since Marvel launched the Ultimate Universe and now there's 10+ years of history that make it very difficult to get into the universe. I mean the only one that would be really accessible would be Ultimate Spider-Man as all you need to know is that Peter Parker was the original Spider-Man, then he died, and now there's a new Spider-Man trying to live up to the original. I don't believe you need to read all of the original USM with Peter to understand Miles' story, just the basics. But the same can't be said for other Ultimate titles. X-Men is confusingly chaotic to the point that I can't even think of where a good place to jump in is, Ultimates has almost the same problem, I mean Cap's the President of the U.S., yeeeaaah, not confusing at all for new readers... <_< Honestly I feel Marvel should focus more on the whole Point One comics they've started doing recently, but point more energy and thought into them. Instead of telling new readers you need to buy so and so trades to understand a current storyline, they should instead just lay out the basics of said characters, how they became a hero, and get them caught up with what the character is currently up to. Personally I don't see anything wrong with Marvel just retelling the origins of certain characters (like Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc.) but keeping it consistent each time they are retold while also making it easy for new readers to jump into the current series of said character without feeling lost or like they missed something. (like Superior Spider-Man for example).

I agree that Marvel needs to do more Point One comics. Those comics really helped new readers really understand the basic characteristics and stories of the characters themselves.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

Ironically, if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons for the Ultimate U was to allow new readers to access a universe full of their classic characters without them feeling overwhelmed by the decades worth of history for said characters. But now, 10+ years have passed since Marvel launched the Ultimate Universe and now there's 10+ years of history that make it very difficult to get into the universe. I mean the only one that would be really accessible would be Ultimate Spider-Man as all you need to know is that Peter Parker was the original Spider-Man, then he died, and now there's a new Spider-Man trying to live up to the original. I don't believe you need to read all of the original USM with Peter to understand Miles' story, just the basics. But the same can't be said for other Ultimate titles. X-Men is confusingly chaotic to the point that I can't even think of where a good place to jump in is, Ultimates has almost the same problem, I mean Cap's the President of the U.S., yeeeaaah, not confusing at all for new readers... <_< Honestly I feel Marvel should focus more on the whole Point One comics they've started doing recently, but point more energy and thought into them. Instead of telling new readers you need to buy so and so trades to understand a current storyline, they should instead just lay out the basics of said characters, how they became a hero, and get them caught up with what the character is currently up to. Personally I don't see anything wrong with Marvel just retelling the origins of certain characters (like Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc.) but keeping it consistent each time they are retold while also making it easy for new readers to jump into the current series of said character without feeling lost or like they missed something. (like Superior Spider-Man for example).

I agree that Marvel needs to do more Point One comics. Those comics really helped new readers really understand the basic characteristics and stories of the characters themselves.

Some do, but sadly some Point One issues actually make things more confusing as they writer of said Point One uses it to launch his/her current storyline instead of using it to get new readers familiar with the characters, who they are and why they do what they do. Which is the whole reason behind the Point One issues. That's why I feel Marvel needs to put more effort into taking advantage of their Point One initiative and get the best writers, who understand who and what said character is about, so that they can provide an easy, accessible introduction to Marvel most classic and well known characters without the reader feeling more confused than before. 
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

Some do, but sadly some Point One issues actually make things more confusing as they writer of said Point One uses it to launch his/her current storyline instead of using it to get new readers familiar with the characters, who they are and why they do what they do. Which is the whole reason behind the Point One issues. That's why I feel Marvel needs to put more effort into taking advantage of their Point One initiative and get the best writers, who understand who and what said character is about, so that they can provide an easy, accessible introduction to Marvel most classic and well known characters without the reader feeling more confused than before.

Sometimes I think that Marvel really needs to take control in what the writers should do with the characters, especially if they are insistent that whatever current storylines come out are still in continuity, because even though there's nothing wrong with a writer writing the characters the way they want to, it can get pretty confusing to the readers real fast if they don't at least allude to the characters' past histories.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@War Killer said:

Sometimes I think that Marvel really needs to take control in what the writers should do with the characters, especially if they are insistent that whatever current storylines come out are still in continuity, because even though there's nothing wrong with a writer writing the characters the way they want to, it can get pretty confusing to the readers real fast if they don't at least allude to the characters' past histories.

Agreed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.