Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Tired of Marvel Messing With Us

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HexThis

I feel like Marvel is holding all of this stuff hostage lately, all for publicity, and it's just so offensive to me. They're teasing a crisis, teasing the loss of the mutants, teasing crap about Scarlet Witch, Pietro, and Magneto in Axis #7 that I really hate (hair-pullingly stupid revelation). This is just like when they kept killing people for publicity like Johnny Storm and Ultimate Spider-man or like how they, for years, kept dangling Jean Grey over X-men fans heads for years or like how they would use minorities and their supposed progressiveness to promote themselves. The wedding of Ororo and T'Challa? Damaged both characters, they're not even together anymore, Marvel did nothing but cash in on the publicity of the event and basically exile the character of Storm. Then how about Northstar? They made such a big coo about him getting married to his unexceptional, civilian boyfriend and now where is he? Hardly on any titles. No more prominent. NOW they've just gone nuts and are taunting us with this idea they're going to basically nuke 616.

I love a lot of the writers, the illustrators, I love the characters (obviously), and I love the movies. But right now, I hate the marketing big wigs who think it's funny to, instead of focus on amazing storytelling, just screw up their intellectual property to piss people off into paying more attention to them. Obviously, they're not setting the world on fire or else they wouldn't have to keep trying but they're so damn dumb they haven't realized that yet. I'm seriously considering just not buying their comics anymore.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I think both Marvel and DC need to realize they don't need the big events. That there characters can do fine just simply by giving them good stories. All of them! Maybe an occasional crossover to make it special when we see Captain America guest star in Daredevil or to make it special when Batman shows up in some heroes title that doesn't need Batman. I have had this frustration with comics for a while now.

I was reading this book called Comic Book Nation which discusses basically comics as a form of expression and how they evolved. It was published towards the end of the 90's though really it feels the same as nowadays. Back when comics were beginning to really about the 90's I realized how original Marvel and DC were. While each were changing they weren't using weird events to catch attention. They were just publishing good stories. The book pretty much notes with the direct market publishers started pulling off more events to really catch the attention. While I find it to be a great idea when it was come up (Because really where else would you have heard about comics from. It wasn't like now where you have the Internet to pretty much tell you all you need to know or having TV that was showing some pretty excited superhero stuff) it really doesn't have a place now. And the book went on about how basically as we all know comics go all event filled and gimmicky something I see nowadays.

Really back when all these characters were starting out they had success and I think the kind of success they had before just starring in independent titles kinda event free would help. With the addition of less guest stars to the point where some aren't special. I guess what I am calling for is change in the comics industry just how the stories are published. Less rebooting and trying to make things mature. Let things be mature naturally. Something I feel like has been problem with recent years. Really I just want these comics to be fun and easy to read without the need for Earth shattering events. Just give us stories about these heroes. And let more creating go on. I know Marvel and DC has limits to what they can write to follow continuity though really they should also let the creators create.

Honestly I am just rambling and typing up thoughts on the how I think comics should be handled. Comics should be handled like a good TV show. For example something like Batman: The Animated Series. Not to the style though just having a nice flow on what is featured in the all the comics with little crossovers and no big long storylines so when we get these storylines they are special.

Like I said I am just rambling. I have been feeling a lot like you. Or at least I think I have been.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

put the fans keep buying crossover and mashup events.
    as long as they do, expect this. Complaints will never talk like $$ does.
    for instance majority of the Thor fans I know hate the new thor girl for a variety of reasons
    I heard that new fake girl Thor outsold the current series by 3x or 4x, so there you have it.
    I didn't like the idea and haven't bought a Thor issue since this whole debacle. But anyways, get used to it.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cutter

Marvel, Disney, and Fox are just losing it. If people don't agree with their new looks, then, don't spent $$$$$$$ on something we don't like. For me to get used to it is like saying "f^^k it lets support the unusual" I rather not buy. I rather come here online and read articles about the events we dislike. If it turnout to be good...then I'll buy...if not...then f^^k it. And save $$$$$$$ for better use. I'll stick with WATXM and Magneto...then after that...where ever Magneto ended up....that's where I'm going. With or without the relation of the family (which I'm sure this won't last long). You better believe, that if Cyclops die at the end of Axis, and Havok take his place as a leader, I'm not supporting any of it. Is not that I don't like the idea, is not that I don't like Havok, but if Marvel just trying to alienate the X-Men (only to hurt Fox more), then....there is nothing left for me to continue with Marvel. They have done enough with the twins.

If only CrossGen still exist. And speaking of it....will Marvel began to used those CrossGen in order to alienate the X tittle? I wouldn't be surprise. So far I know they own all the CrossGen and I would love to see a comeback of those CrossGen....especially Negation.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I THINK DISNEY WILL TRY TO BUY FOX NEXT, IF NOT THEN DC COMICS

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

how else can they make money?

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely tired of them messing with us. I'm tired of Marvel doing unnecessary things just for the hell of it. I can't seem to think why marvel changes so much ever since the movie making? Don't they see that fans come from comics and not movie. Those new fans might wont even bother getting comics. They just like movie and that it. I can't wait for marvel gets their rights back so all this stupety ends. I wish they didn't sold the rights in the first place. I think that was their first stuped moves. Running out of money? I don't think Disney ran out of money EVER.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I'm also getting tired of Marvel changing the characters and the situations they are in every single month every time an event comes in. It just prevents the characters from really maturing and it just forces situations into the stories that really don't need to happen. If this keeps up and the characters become too unrecognizable, then I won't lift a finger to buy the titles (heck, I'm not even buying any of the current titles except for Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series and I might check into the Magneto series and Mrs. Marvel series.)

Avatar image for timetraveltravetz
    TimeTravelTravetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TimeTravelTravetz

Oh I'm extremely tired of Marvel excrement. Tired of their war between rights and retcons. Tired of putting up with their crap and tired of spending money on something that will change my way of liking comics. I know after one comic's done, I'm done with Marvel. I will only stick with Image and Valiant. Trust me, it will be less pain and headache.

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel & DC end of the day are Entertainment corporations so whatever makes them money they will do it regardless of how it piss off it's fans & followers. We all Love our Spider-Man's, Batman, Xmen, Suicide Squads or Justice Leaguers Etc etc.. They don't value creators or writers enough and they micro manage their talent...Meaning only so much can really happen to these characters or Books almost absolutely nothing will happen as a new development if so it's most likely temporary...or the following writers will ignore,forget or change the revelations to their liking.

Independent books are better....The excessive control at Marvel&DC is stunting their companies and Characters.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternalgrandmaster: I agree with this. At least with some independent comics they manage the keep the stories and the characters straight instead of putting their characteristics and situations all over the place.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UHypocrite

Oh yes, tired of every bit of Marvel messing with the fans. I wonder what Marvel can bring by doing such things. To me it brought hate toward Marvel.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its their company they can do whatever they want.

if you don't like something don't buy it and move on.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hexthis: And how do you feel after today???

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zarius

@thorson said:

That remains the laziest response to genuine criticism ever and does not make anyone look clever or approachable in a debate. It also makes anyone who uses it look like an easily-satisfied brand loyalist lacking any sort of critical faculties.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@thorson said:

That remains the laziest response to genuine criticism ever and does not make anyone look clever or approachable in a debate. It also makes anyone who uses it look like an easily-satisfied brand loyalist lacking any sort of critical faculties.

i knew someone was going to give me this type of response...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.