The Marvel Movie Character Rights (and where they are)

• 66 results
#51 Edited by hyiena (1770 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: They had plans to reboot Daredevil but couldn't get everything together intime maybe the same will happen with F4

#52 Edited by Fallschirmjager (11571 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

@tazzmission: They had plans to reboot Daredevil but couldn't get everything together intime maybe the same will happen with F4

FF all ready has a script and a director. Its going to happen.

Also this post is over a year old and is not up to date

Sony - SM

Fox - X-Men and FF

Marvel - everything else

#53 Posted by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by Fallschirmjager (11571 posts) - - Show Bio
#55 Edited by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: They should just come to some agreement because I dont really like that X-men and Spiderman are in their own Universes...Its weird as hell.

#56 Edited by Fallschirmjager (11571 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: its never going to happen. the money they'd have to make in order for it to be a profit for both would be ridiculous.

say they make 1 billion on a crossmovie. about 1/3 of that money goes to the theaters, so 666 mill left over.

movie superhero movies are like 200 million production budget + another 50 million (on average) marketing. so that's 510 mil. 255 mil each.

ASM by itself made by itself made 752 mil. Meaning 500 went back to the studio. they had a 230 mil production budget..add another 50 for marketing and the movie made 220 mil for the studio.

So a cross over would have to make 20-25% more just to be about even. (and ASM had 30 mil more expensive production budget) Its never going to happen

#57 Posted by THORSON (2040 posts) - - Show Bio

ITS COMMON SENSE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD IF PEOPLE JUST USE A DAMN SEARCH ENGINE. i DID.

PLUS DAREDEVIL AND GHOST RIDER ARE NOT BACK WITH MARVEL IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

#58 Posted by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Actually Marvel does have the rights...even Kevin Fiege spoke on that.

#59 Posted by Tyrus (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

So far Marvel has gotten the rights of Blade and Daredevil back in their possession, Kevin Feige mentioned that Namor is still over at Universal studios and Fox reportedly has to begin filming Fantastic Four by mid-next year (exactly 7 years after the last FF film was released) or else the rights revert back to Marvel...

If you think about it, this rights-issue has been quite an improvement from last year.

#60 Edited by TazzMission (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

So far Marvel has gotten the rights of Blade and Daredevil back in their possession, Kevin Feige mentioned that Namor is still over at Universal studios and Fox reportedly has to begin filming Fantastic Four by mid-next year (exactly 7 years after the last FF film was released) or else the rights revert back to Marvel...

If you think about it, this rights-issue has been quite an improvement from last year.

its been what 10 years since the affleck one and affleck was a good dd but the movie sucked period when it came to the story so they havent done anything with the rights for a decade so yea im glad it reverted back to marvel

#61 Edited by Sebast_Allen (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost rider is back to marvel!

#62 Edited by sirexcaliber (1 posts) - - Show Bio

When does Universal lose the rights to Namor the sub mariner and Lionsgate lose the rights to man-thing. Universal has done nothing with Namor and Lionsgate hasn't done nothing since 2005 with man-thing that's almost 9 years and if Universal got the rights to Namor in 2006 then it's been 8 years and no movie how long should these movie houses be allowed to hold on to the rights and not produces a successful movie or a movie at all. If the executives of these production companies don't believe these characters won't produce profitable movies then give the rights back and stop holding these characters hostages.

#63 Edited by MasterBelmont (270 posts) - - Show Bio

So far so good with Marvel re-obtaining the rights. They just don't have Spidey, F4, X-Men, or Namor. This may sound kinda dickish, but I actually hope TASM2 doesn't meet expectations and TF4 flat-out bombs so Marvel gets the rights to the Four back and Sony will notice their franchise is in a slow decline (since TASM was the lowest-grossing SM film) and they'll have no choice but to team with Marvel and put Spidey in the MCU. I'm also hoping DOFP bombs, but I don't want those rights going back to Marvel because the X-Men should be in their own universe. Instead, I want Fox to realize they need to completely reboot the franchise from the ground up with a 100% new cast and crew (with no one returning). Then, and only then, will we most likely get the X-Men movies we've always wanted. On the subject of Namor, Universal hasn't done anything with him or even talked about it, so I'm sure he'll be going home in no time.

#64 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterbelmont: sorry to hurt your bubble, but for me the big issue is how crossed the comics are, where are all the rights? How do you unpick them? Do Fox own the rights to Ms Marvel Powered Rogue, Dr Strange powered Juggernaut, Captain Britain Powered Psylocke?

Ill come and add more if you like, I'd have to dig through FF and Xmen methos... all fox own are the mutant aspects of the xmen universe, the rest is Marvels, so on one side the Xmen will always be rubbish, and The MCU will always have limitations. Same goes for Fantastic Four, all those cosmic powered enemies but no way to use them, The FF strength in the comics is the use of the Avengers, heck She-Hulk alone could save the franchise, but not going to happen.

Spider-Man is the only franchise that can survive on his own, he has his own collection of villains and they are all street level so no lack of cosmic team ups.

That's my opinion anyway, Xmen will die a death because of the way it can't help but let down fans, same goes for FF, they work for a film or two but then what... Reboot.

Spider-Man can go on and on for ages before needing a reboot, if Sony wishes.

#65 Posted by lavellelarue (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Question. Can I take an old character from Marvels like "Luke Cage: Hero For Hire" for example. Raise the money on Kickstarter ($100K+) or some other crowdfunding site. Take the money I raise and film the story. After I'm doing filming, I make the film into a webseries. Now I've done all of this work for FREE. Meaning that all the hard work that I put into doing this film would be all for the love of filming, the character and I just love Marvel comics. Would I be sued? Even if I'll make zero dollars.

#66 Posted by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@lavellelarue: No.I dont think so, well maybe I read that someone made a fan based film on punisher and Marvel shut it down or something but it was popular though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.