The Marvel Movie Character Rights (and where they are)

• 103 results
#51 Edited by hyiena (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: They had plans to reboot Daredevil but couldn't get everything together intime maybe the same will happen with F4

#52 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16373 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

@tazzmission: They had plans to reboot Daredevil but couldn't get everything together intime maybe the same will happen with F4

FF all ready has a script and a director. Its going to happen.

Also this post is over a year old and is not up to date

Sony - SM

Fox - X-Men and FF

Marvel - everything else

#53 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16373 posts) - - Show Bio
#55 Edited by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: They should just come to some agreement because I dont really like that X-men and Spiderman are in their own Universes...Its weird as hell.

#56 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16373 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: its never going to happen. the money they'd have to make in order for it to be a profit for both would be ridiculous.

say they make 1 billion on a crossmovie. about 1/3 of that money goes to the theaters, so 666 mill left over.

movie superhero movies are like 200 million production budget + another 50 million (on average) marketing. so that's 510 mil. 255 mil each.

ASM by itself made by itself made 752 mil. Meaning 500 went back to the studio. they had a 230 mil production budget..add another 50 for marketing and the movie made 220 mil for the studio.

So a cross over would have to make 20-25% more just to be about even. (and ASM had 30 mil more expensive production budget) Its never going to happen

#57 Posted by THORSON (2349 posts) - - Show Bio

ITS COMMON SENSE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD IF PEOPLE JUST USE A DAMN SEARCH ENGINE. i DID.

PLUS DAREDEVIL AND GHOST RIDER ARE NOT BACK WITH MARVEL IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

#58 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Actually Marvel does have the rights...even Kevin Fiege spoke on that.

#59 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

So far Marvel has gotten the rights of Blade and Daredevil back in their possession, Kevin Feige mentioned that Namor is still over at Universal studios and Fox reportedly has to begin filming Fantastic Four by mid-next year (exactly 7 years after the last FF film was released) or else the rights revert back to Marvel...

If you think about it, this rights-issue has been quite an improvement from last year.

#60 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

So far Marvel has gotten the rights of Blade and Daredevil back in their possession, Kevin Feige mentioned that Namor is still over at Universal studios and Fox reportedly has to begin filming Fantastic Four by mid-next year (exactly 7 years after the last FF film was released) or else the rights revert back to Marvel...

If you think about it, this rights-issue has been quite an improvement from last year.

its been what 10 years since the affleck one and affleck was a good dd but the movie sucked period when it came to the story so they havent done anything with the rights for a decade so yea im glad it reverted back to marvel

#61 Edited by Sebast_Allen (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost rider is back to marvel!

#62 Edited by sirexcaliber (1 posts) - - Show Bio

When does Universal lose the rights to Namor the sub mariner and Lionsgate lose the rights to man-thing. Universal has done nothing with Namor and Lionsgate hasn't done nothing since 2005 with man-thing that's almost 9 years and if Universal got the rights to Namor in 2006 then it's been 8 years and no movie how long should these movie houses be allowed to hold on to the rights and not produces a successful movie or a movie at all. If the executives of these production companies don't believe these characters won't produce profitable movies then give the rights back and stop holding these characters hostages.

#63 Edited by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

So far so good with Marvel re-obtaining the rights. They just don't have Spidey, F4, X-Men, or Namor. This may sound kinda dickish, but I actually hope TASM2 doesn't meet expectations and TF4 flat-out bombs so Marvel gets the rights to the Four back and Sony will notice their franchise is in a slow decline (since TASM was the lowest-grossing SM film) and they'll have no choice but to team with Marvel and put Spidey in the MCU. I'm also hoping DOFP bombs, but I don't want those rights going back to Marvel because the X-Men should be in their own universe. Instead, I want Fox to realize they need to completely reboot the franchise from the ground up with a 100% new cast and crew (with no one returning). Then, and only then, will we most likely get the X-Men movies we've always wanted. On the subject of Namor, Universal hasn't done anything with him or even talked about it, so I'm sure he'll be going home in no time.

#64 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterbelmont: sorry to hurt your bubble, but for me the big issue is how crossed the comics are, where are all the rights? How do you unpick them? Do Fox own the rights to Ms Marvel Powered Rogue, Dr Strange powered Juggernaut, Captain Britain Powered Psylocke?

Ill come and add more if you like, I'd have to dig through FF and Xmen methos... all fox own are the mutant aspects of the xmen universe, the rest is Marvels, so on one side the Xmen will always be rubbish, and The MCU will always have limitations. Same goes for Fantastic Four, all those cosmic powered enemies but no way to use them, The FF strength in the comics is the use of the Avengers, heck She-Hulk alone could save the franchise, but not going to happen.

Spider-Man is the only franchise that can survive on his own, he has his own collection of villains and they are all street level so no lack of cosmic team ups.

That's my opinion anyway, Xmen will die a death because of the way it can't help but let down fans, same goes for FF, they work for a film or two but then what... Reboot.

Spider-Man can go on and on for ages before needing a reboot, if Sony wishes.

#65 Posted by lavellelarue (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Question. Can I take an old character from Marvels like "Luke Cage: Hero For Hire" for example. Raise the money on Kickstarter ($100K+) or some other crowdfunding site. Take the money I raise and film the story. After I'm doing filming, I make the film into a webseries. Now I've done all of this work for FREE. Meaning that all the hard work that I put into doing this film would be all for the love of filming, the character and I just love Marvel comics. Would I be sued? Even if I'll make zero dollars.

#66 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@lavellelarue: No.I dont think so, well maybe I read that someone made a fan based film on punisher and Marvel shut it down or something but it was popular though

#67 Posted by adamschneider2 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so I have a question about new characters that are created in the comics by Marvel. For example this new character Silk that is being created in Spider Man from the same spider that got Peter Parker. So would she automatically fall under Sony's film rights or would she be Marvel/Disney's?

#68 Posted by FearTheLiving (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

Question. Can I take an old character from Marvels like "Luke Cage: Hero For Hire" for example. Raise the money on Kickstarter ($100K+) or some other crowdfunding site. Take the money I raise and film the story. After I'm doing filming, I make the film into a webseries. Now I've done all of this work for FREE. Meaning that all the hard work that I put into doing this film would be all for the love of filming, the character and I just love Marvel comics. Would I be sued? Even if I'll make zero dollars.

They can ask you to shut it down, but as long as you aren't making money off of it they won't sue you. However I imagine they can sue you for the kickstarter if they really wanted to and you managed to make that much, cause by definition you kind of are making money off of their character.

#69 Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@lavellelarue -

FearTheLiving is correct about the making money part. With regards to kickstart or any other sort of crowd-funding, I will have to defer you the younger Masters of the Universe who are much more tech-savvy than myself (hell I'm such a Luddite that in the 90s I printed up, sold and proudly wore T-shirts that read "Go Unabomb Go!") - my immersion into the intricacies of copyright law ended 2-3 years before crowd funding became a word, let alone the wonderful tool it has become for the film-maker.

And now, especially since the prices of cameras has fallen so drastically, for the first time, film-making can be a completely Democratic (it's worth a capital 'D') process.

However, back to the topic at hand - Not only would you get sued if you attempted to profit from the movie, they could also sue you if tried to advertise your film on anything but an anecdotal way - for example, telling individuals one at a time (even if you're spamming 200,000 accounts at one time, you would be okay). However, if you tried to advertise on any platform (it's debatable, but I believe that this would include any form of social media) that reached multiple people - depending on the nature of the advertising and the quality (or lack thereof) of the final product - you could be sued based upon the potential damage that you may be (hypothetically) causing to value and/or marketability of the character and the company that holds the character right.

And then there's the murky water of tortuous interference with a potential economic advantage and a number of other things that a creative lawyer can plead against you.

Basically, if this is really a dream of yours, my advice is that you contact the person who created the obscure character that you want to use - or their heir - and get, in writing, the blessing of the creator of that character (especially if it is Stan Lee). If you have that, and get sued by a major media company, you'll have something that you can take to the media which will raise the anger of the hard-core comic fans and the company would likely drop the issue.

However, if you have an idea that is really funny or interesting or tells a great story, a little black and white vignette; a story you really BELIEVE in - why not just take a chance and pitch it to the owner of the character rights. Just thinking about it, something like 4-5 little stories of obscure, back-room and third rate - yet poignant -characters, strung together in a Sin City sort of way, is just the thing that would get most of us hardcore pulp & staple comic lovers to leap up and roar in satisfaction. I've always wanted to see something like a Justice League or Avengers out of only the characters that NEVER had a full comic of their own, those who have never even soloed on the cover of a comic - I want to read THAT book, the League of Lethargic, Pudgy and Not-So-extraordinary Gentlemen (complete with a guest appearance by the 1-armed Green Arrow a la The Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Back. Even better: the grizzled Arrow vs. the entire Not-So-extraordinary league!).

Bring back the Freedom Fighters (You just know my Unabomb-lovin' a*s has all 15 issues)!

I wanna see Uncle Sam & the Human Bomb vs. the Red Skull teamed with a post-Dachau brainwashed and half starved Captain America! (only pic I could find but, this would work if the picture lost 300 pounds and took on the malicious glower of a man after a 5-day meth binge - slavering, teeth grinding, eyes wide & staring- just like someone who has just finished listening to Hitler read the entirety of Mein Kampf.

Twice.

#70 Posted by Tyger (753 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember back in the 90s, Spider-Man the Animated Series managed to do a bunch of crossovers. (X-Men, Iron Man) This was rather unique, as it was done between multiple animation studios, keeping the same appearance and voice cast.

The Hulk's appearance in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon seemed to be a continuation from the Hulk series that was contemporary to that.

However, doing so with a full movie studio might be a bit much... until someone with real pull (Peter Jackson, when he's done with Hobbit maybe?) wants to do Spider-Man / Wolverine or a WW2 storyline featuring Cap, Wolverine, and Magneto or Civil War.

#71 Posted by skarski10 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If we want these right back at Marvel, don't go see these movies in theaters. I know I'm just one person, but after the reviews of ASM 2, I'm going to wait till Red Box to see this movie. I also have zero interest in the reboot of the FF and the direction they are taking it. If more and more comics fans that want to see justice done to these franchises where to do the same, we might be able to make enough on an impact that they would have to offer Marvel Studios these franchises back.

Hopefully, is ASM 2 is as bad as the reviews say, less and less non comic fans will go to see ASM 3 and Marvel can get back the rights.

Even those who said they'd like X-men to remain their own universe, maybe we can get Marvel to keep the X-men in their own universe (if they ever get the rights back). I was hoping First Class was a reboot because I really enjoyed it and was by far the best X-men movie made. When I heard Days of Future Past was the sequel to First Class, I was very disappointed. I also wish they hadn't brought back Singer to make DOFP.

#72 Posted by kilowog52 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

I realize this thread is a couple years old, but are there still people who don't know about this? Anywho, neither Spidey nor Wolvey should be in an Avengers movie. Now a New Avengers movie would be a different story, because they were New Avengers. But classic Avengers? Nuh uh!

#73 Posted by FearTheLiving (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

I realize this thread is a couple years old, but are there still people who don't know about this? Anywho, neither Spidey nor Wolvey should be in an Avengers movie. Now a New Avengers movie would be a different story, because they were New Avengers. But classic Avengers? Nuh uh!

You'd be surprised. As for them being in the Avengers a lot of people who that are pro Marvel Studios for the character's return aren't even saying to throw them into Avengers and all that. We just want the characters home where they can be pulled and used as needed, especially when a lot of villains and other character that span across the Marvel U are tied up in those franchises.

#74 Edited by War Killer (20111 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind seeing Spider-Man join The Avengers, but I prefer the X-Men be in their own separate universe. I feel like trying to some how fit them into the current MCU would just become chaotic and the X-Men overall work better on their own in their own universe, away from other non-Mutant characters like The Avengers.

#75 Edited by Jphu8414 (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Still can't believe Namor is all by his lonesome self at Universal...how the heck did he get there?

#76 Posted by FearTheLiving (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

#77 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: He should of reverted back to Marvel by now...

#78 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-legendary-pictures-2016-event-move-is-marvels-namor-the-sub-mariner-20140516

Lol Universal is going to try to make a movie out of him and fail.

#79 Posted by Jphu8414 (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: Wow, well at least if it's bad the rights can go back to Marvel right?

#80 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: Depends how big of a flop movie it is if its like Transdence and doesnt cover the production budget at all than maybe...Because they can still keep the rights if the movie sucks bad or not.

#81 Edited by Jphu8414 (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

lol who the hell was giving him directions? Deadpool?

@jphu8414: Depends how big of a flop movie it is if its like Transdence and doesnt cover the production budget at all than maybe...Because they can still keep the rights if the movie sucks bad or not.

I'm not really liking the sound of that, but hey a bunch of other characters had their rights returned back to Marvel so Namor isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I think a good movie is possible too, and even if it's mediocre, Mediocre Namor movie>No Namor movie. Let's put the rights to good use Universal!

#82 Posted by FearTheLiving (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414: Nope.

Considering he's Warner Brothers it all makes sense. That little stinker.

#83 Edited by BHXSpecter (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Even after this I'm confused about the whole thing. If one company owns the X-Men rights and the other company owns the Avengers rights then aren't they already on grounds to sue? It is my understanding they have the rights to the groups and not the individual characters so they should be able to use Wolverine and ask Jackman to play him or hire a fresh face. Otherwise I would think they could sue for use of characters that appear in both licenses.

#84 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know if Lionsgate still has the rights to Man-Thing? I doubt he'll ever see the screen under any circumstance but I'm just curious.

#85 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio
#86 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only characters right now Fox has a chance of losing is Deadpool and Silver Surfer.Silver Surfer more likely though...I REALLY WISH I KNOW THE EXPIRATION DATE FOR THESE CONTRACTS

#87 Edited by Tyger (753 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool is part of X-Men, as part of Project X (that made Wolverine.)

Silver Surfer, despite his breakaway, is pretty firmly in Fantastic Four. (Marvel offered to extend the right to Daredevil to get him and the Skrulls back, but Fox refused.)

#88 Edited by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyger said:

Deadpool is part of X-Men, as part of Project X (that made Wolverine.)

Silver Surfer, despite his breakaway, is pretty firmly in Fantastic Four. (Marvel offered to extend the right to Daredevil to get him and the Skrulls back, but Fox refused.)

The post in the front is misleading than and needs to be removed.

#89 Posted by Tyger (753 posts) - - Show Bio

The first part is easy. Three of the 5 X-Men movies revolve around Project X, and all of them revolve around Wolverine.

The second part: Google:

Marvell tries to get surfer back

Articles will be dated 2012, though I did make an error. It was Surfer and Galactus. They just used the Ultimate name for the Skrulls and didn't bother asking for them back.

#90 Edited by Ascended (549 posts) - - Show Bio

I pray that Spider-man does go back to Marvel and they recast everyone for the roles.

Cause I cannot be the only person on here who isn't a fan of the actor.

#91 Edited by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: do you have a link to somewhere that confirms this?

#92 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: No...Apparently Deadpool is apart of X-men and Silver Surfer is apart of F4 I thought their rights were seperate looking at the IMAGE in the 1st page

#93 Edited by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: Oh, I was talking about Man-Thing rights reverting back to Marvel. Earlier in the thread you said Lionsgate gave them up.

#94 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: Its more of a hunch really.In episode 20 of Marvel’s Agents of Shield “Man-Thing” is name dropped as existing in the MCU. So I think that it’s safe to assume it’s reverted to/ been purchased by Marvel Studios.Also I believe Ellen Brandt(Who has ties to Man-thing) was in Iron-man 3 Their is no confirmation on if Marvel has the rights but I felt like its safe to assume.

#95 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: wow i didnt catch either of those easter eggs. Thats really cool!

#96 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (1479 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't everybody know this stuff already?

#97 Posted by flameboy298 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by ElementSponge (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Guardian part of the X-Men movie rights?

#99 Posted by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@elementsponge: No, Marvel has him. I know this because Alpha Flight was name-dropped in Agents of Shield.

#100 Posted by AmazingSpiderman15 (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't everybody know this stuff already?

suprisingly some people don't like a friend of mine who watches the films but doesn't read the comics or articles on the movies so he thought that x-men spidey and avengers were all in one universe

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.