Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

The List: Recent Marvel Cancelations

• 144 results
    obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By obscurefan

You know, I hate to see any books get canceled, I like to think that each book has its own fans and followers who see something special in it and I hate to think that they will lose that. However, Marvel has honestly really needed a shock to their system recently with some of their decisions, and this might very well be it.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Whisper_

@Danial79 said:

It's all about money. As you may have heard, Marvel recently laid off a lot of staff as well. Sure it sucks, but if it keeps the company from toppling (again), then I'm all for it. Now if only Bendis would get fired and banned from ever writing comics again :)

Fixed.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i feel bad that they cancel black panther  i enjoyed david liss writing on the book. 
    glad they cancel daken's book, not so much that they did x-23 
    war machine series was bad needed to be cancel  
     i hope they don't cancel thunderbolts 

so now marvel only does team books 
    and DC does teams and solo

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By King Quisling

I'm enjoying Daken but sort of saw this coming

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Omertalvendetta

I like how people BITCH about Bendis but they buy his books.... the reason he gets work is because people BUY his books. capicé?

I came back to edit to point out that the reason there are 25 different avengers, spider-man, wolverine, and X-titles is because they SELL, and you- yes all of you bitching- buy them. These other books getting axed have small fanbases (me included, look at my pull list) but frankly, I can't blame it on Marvel. I have to blame the general comic book fan for their lack of interest. I do agree $4 a book is a little too much, but most of these titles were $3 a pop, so even that cannot be used as an excuse. People just don't care about anything else that isn't avengers, spider-man, wolverine and x-titles related. SBT!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By buttersdaman000

So.......they cancel these titles because of budget(?) yet they keep 3-4 different Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Avengers titles? And lets not even start with the X-Men titles.

Man....Marvel just rocks my socks

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By CATPANEXE

I'm not only losing X-23 but now Daken too? Well, that's cool Marvel, I needed to make some space for some of what IDW is offering anyways. Good with the bad. Thanks for the heads up Babs. \:

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#58  Edited By CrimsonTempest

I'll just put it as such: As I told a good amount of my acquaintances about these cancellations, 5 of them were struck with rage, 2 of them swore off Marvel immediately. How is it that Marvel, on the premise of sales, axes 2 books that had female leads, waste talent simultaneously by axing Spencer's Iron Man 2.0 and Victor Von Doom, have the nerve to let Axel Alonso say that "we don't do R&D"?

They're citing financial issues, then how come they're selling their books at $4 a pop? This is insulting, at the very least. Marvel needs, desperately, to get rid of Axel, Joe Q, and Brevoort. Get some new leadership in here, this triumvirate is becoming a cancer for Marvel.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By Trodorne

I think its about time marvel started cutting down its titles Deadpool Max should be next on the list of things to go. Marvel has over stretched itself in terms of titles and needs to cut back I will not be sad if they cut X-men,Astonishing X-men, and New Mutants. Get rid of Mighty Thor series, give up on the idea of bringing back the fantastic four, And I love the new Venom series, I just think that cutting back on spider-man titles maybe needed as well. 

DUY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DUY12

Sucks to see X-23 go, but... I'm excited to see what new ongoings will be coming out.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By The Jeff

I'm not a fan of all the X-titles or the Avengers titles. cancel some of those

shadowpdf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By shadowpdf1

Wait! Marvel's not going to finish the 8-issue series????

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

@shadowpdf1 said:

Wait! Marvel's not going to finish the 8-issue series????

Maybe they finish it in a couple years like "The Twelve".

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kadosho_16bit

I get that ugly feeling something isn't going well with a lot of Marvel's franchises. Sure the mainstays are doing fine, but the outside titles just aren't making the amount they demand. Its a shame, given choice they might have to liquidate even more.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#65  Edited By cody1984

@Trodorne said:

I think its about time marvel started cutting down its titles Deadpool Max should be next on the list of things to go.

Deadpool MAX is the only monthly series the MAX imprint will have after its flagship Punisher title ends. I don't like deadpool but if they get rid of his title and don't have a monthly ongoing to replace it Marvel most likely is going to get rid of it. Which is a shame since MAX does have potential but Marvel just doesn't do much of anything with it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Gambit1024

I didn't read any of those titles anyway... But I do agree that they should stop with the events and give some characters a chance. I totally would've read the Dr. Doom one.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Was hoping BP would last but didn't expect it. So disappointment mixed with "yea, we knew it was coming" is what I feel. But on a lighter note, I can keep up with DD's adventures as long as he's with the New Avengers :/

I'll hope, but won't hold my breath, for a new regular BP in his own book with his own numbering.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By KainScion

the last few issues of daken were pretty bad. but i'm going to be sad to see him go. x-23 going *tear drops*. i was really looking forward to a doom series. doom is always good (when i read doom speaking i always think of his voice in the first animated series simon templeton also legacy of kain' kain). doom has been treated kinda harsh lately. first a drooling monkey now someone's servant?? f you marvel.

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Chibio

Daken started off good, but it became very, very boring rather quickly, so I'm not wondering about the cancelation. I was actually enjoying Punisher: MAX and I don't understand why they're canceling that one! Can't complain about the X-23 cancelation, but I never liked the character though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By TDK_1997

I'm sad only about X-23

IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#71  Edited By IronHerc

for the next few months, three out of four marvel titles which i bought out of curiosity for the change of status quo for each character and became some of my favorites are already marked for cancellation (Black Panther, Herc, Ironman 2.0) well, at least Venom survived ^_^ and I really hope this is a plan for a new wave of interesting tittles or else I will be pissed

positronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By positronic

The article mentions DESTROYERS is cancelled. I work part-time in a comic shop (and fill the subscriptions every week) and even I've never heard of this one. Did the writer of the article mean ANNIHILATORS: EARTHWAR (meaning it won't make the end of its miniseries run), or is this another solicited-but-never-made-it-to-print titles like VON DOOM? If so, I missed the solicitation. On the other hand, Marvel just announced a month or two ago that the previously-limited ALPHA FLIGHT was upgraded to an ongoing series. Now it's cancelled? WTF?

MagmaGazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#73  Edited By MagmaGazer

Daken's going? Awh man. Guess I'll just have to put up with Wolverine titles after it goes...

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By Meteorite

This sucks! Honestly, a lot of Marvel characters on the list here (War Machine, X-23, Daken, Ghost Rider) should easily be able to hold their own series, and deserve them!

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AngeTheDude

@Kallarkz said:

it is a business...they have to make money

btw Marvel fire David Liss.

Why should they? Black Panther is one of the best books they have out right now.

Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Arevish

@buttersdaman000 said:

So.......they cancel these titles because of budget(?) yet they keep 3-4 different Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Avengers titles? And lets not even start with the X-Men titles.

Man....Marvel just rocks my socks

BTW with Disney we were supposed to HAVE the money for secondary characters. Cancel that fucking avengers academy and give me back X-23. Oh Moon Knight still going? Who is writing it? Oh, bendis. Ok. Fuck u and your architects :D

PS: Sorry for bad english and i love Moon Knight ^^

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sekele

@Nefilim927:

you won't be alone

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#78  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Surly by keeping Ghost Rider running till the new movie came out it would have started making more money 

fanbla72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By fanbla72

Daken, haven't read, yet, but I'm buying. no biggie that its being shut down, as long as the story fits the run. a good example is Secret Warriors with 28 issues, the story arcs seemed to fit nicely.

the big events have to be some of the most godawful storytelling ever. the hamfisted attempts at weaving the narrative of a single event throughout multiple titles makes for some pretty un-enjoyable and painful comics reading. unfortunately i assisted the commercial success of the worst product.

so, it is sad to see these smaller titles go, but it is no drama as long as they are replaced and hopefully the big events subsidize them.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Afro_Warrior
    LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LordRequiem

Enter Marvel's new 52. Oh wait a second...

Rellypie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Rellypie

I agree with whoever said to cancel a few x titles. I love the x-men, favorite comic, but man they are do over saturated.

comiccharlieuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By comiccharlieuk

@RedheadedAtrocitus: if the market can not support these stories and comics with 25 pages as a monthly COMIC marvel should turn the weak selling weekly comics into a monthly graphic novel with hundred odd pages so that fans can support the comics they are reading and marvel would still have an income from these stories and characters in a graphic novel form. In the long term all parties would be happier.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#84  Edited By ImperiousRix

Oh wow. My little bro is gonna be heartbroken that Black Panther is cancelled.

I definitely don't approve of this. It's been said enough here, but I'll echo the sentiments of everyone saying that it's ridiculous they keep so many duplicate books for different teams and "major" characters and then cancel all these fringe books. Especially after seeing how many books X-23 was outselling, it's just silly. Yes, I've seen the chart that says it had the "steepest decline in sales" of any other Marvel book, but it was still making more than quite a few titles (on-goings, even) that are not cancelled.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#85  Edited By Magian

Fortunately they are not cancelling any of the titles I am reading. But too bad for those who were reading them.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By doordoor123

Not only do they cancel both female solo books but they leave their only female writer with no work. Great.

They also cancel the only black hero solo comic.

Shame on Marvel for their lack of diversity.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#87  Edited By The Impersonator

Is it all about money, or is something big going to go down at Marvel starting in February, 2012?

It's not just about money. They don't spend enough time on their successful books. They're just want to write new projects. Stick with what you're doing and then come up with something new. Scope Creep is the real reason why the books got cancelled.

As for the next part of the question, is something big going to go down? Well, we may not know much about it. We just hope it's not that bad.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Kallarkz

@AngeTheDude said:

@Kallarkz said:

it is a business...they have to make money

btw Marvel fire David Liss.

Why should they? Black Panther is one of the best books they have out right now.

Hence its cancellation.

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#89  Edited By Dakens son

@Nefilim927 said:

Guess I'll be one of the few, sad to see Daken go...

That makes us two!

The problem is what the f*** is going on with Disney?

From the moment they got new crew(last June,ex-DC employees) on their comics department staff of marvel has been dismissed and then famous tittles have been canceled!They even canceled Daken and X-23 now when there was a rumored crossover between those two and wolverine!

I wish Disney gets bankrupt soon then crashed and burned along the way with all their stupid comics!!!!

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#90  Edited By GothamRed

Somehow I didn't expect alpha flight to last that long, it's nothing against them it's just that the team has been around for years and they really never gained much mainstream popularity, even within the comic book itself.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

NOT IRON MAN 2.0 PLEASE! Please Ineed to know who and what Palmer Addley is planning he 's a hero who need to break just please continue his series.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@comiccharlieuk: I agree, they should, similar to how DC does its "DC Comics Presents..." 100 page spectaculars they chug out. That's what they should do of course. As to whether they WILL do it, who knows for sure?

DrRoborto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DrRoborto

I have no clue how accurate this is, but recently I read a very interesting article about the current state of the Marvel workplace and its penny pinching CEO.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/10/21/marvel-layoffs-the-cheapskate-is-coming-from-inside-the-house-of-ideas/

If you listen to the latest Wordballoon podcast which has an interview with Rob Liefeld you'll find it seems to corroborate a lot of the things posted in here. They tried switching his terms in the middle of a project and seem to be on a massive budget cut overall.

NaNdoKaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NaNdoKaveli

"The New 52" a día de hoy está matando a la Marvel ya que por mucho que digan que se deben a los lectores, el dinero es el dinero y si bajan las ventas... cancelación que te crió. Es una pena ya que había series que merecían mucho la pena como "Daken: Dark Wolverine" o "PunisherMAX"

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By ReVamp

@BritishMonkey said:

i saw it coming with daken

Me too.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#96  Edited By RedOwl_1

@NaNdoKaveli said:

"The New 52" a día de hoy está matando a la Marvel ya que por mucho que digan que se deben a los lectores, el dinero es el dinero y si bajan las ventas... cancelación que te crió. Es una pena ya que había series que merecían mucho la pena como "Daken: Dark Wolverine" o "PunisherMAX"

Yeah Se espantaron los nenes por que DC les esta ganando en ventas por primera vez en años :D pero tienen razon en espantarse nadie esperaba que "The New 52" fuera tan grande, exitoso y popular

(Wow es al primera vez que respondo o veo español en este sitio :O)

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#97  Edited By CombatSpoon86

@IronHerc: Venom is a Rick Remender book. It isn't going anywhere especially when he becomes a regular in Secret Avengers. He has plans to interconnect X-force, Venom and Secret Avengers (all the books his writing). He loves his co-op spy world just like he said in his interview.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#98  Edited By lorex

Its a business abd these hings happen, Though that being said maybe they are concerned about Wolverine related characters over saturization and are trimming the fat so to speak. Now only if they would reduce Wolverine's total number of apperances each month, he could become interesting again instead of a mish-mash of multiple writers compeating ideas and influences.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#99  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

WHAT?! You canceled one of the best titles you had going?

Marvel, you officially suck now.

ns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ns2

That's so sad

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.