Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

The Incident of the cancellation of Fantastic Four

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

After hearing so much buzz about the cancellation of the Fantastic Four comics and the controversy surrounding that incident, do you think that Marvel is purposefully cancelling Fantastic Four comics because they don't have the movie rights or do you think this is all just a rumor?

For me, I think it has more to do with the Fantastic Four not doing well in the sales than the fact that it has to do with movie rights because if that were the case, then the same thing would have happened to X-Men and Spider-Man since Marvel also doesn't have the movie rights to those franchises. However, if this was all true, then it would be an all-time low for Marvel since it would seem like they would be purposefully trying to give Fox a hard time so that way they could get the movie rights back to the Fantastic Four.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think they cancelled it because the FF don't sell. Cancelling it won't do anything to impact how the movie does. Like not even .00001 percent of the gross will be affected.

I also agree with your points that they would have done it to X-Men and Spider-Man if that were the case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its cancellatiom probably has nothing to do with the movie.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@jayc1324: I agree that a comic book's cancellation won't affect the movies, especially if the movies were changing everything from the source material in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When was the last time FF did sell well?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FF hasnt sold well to my knowledge since Stan Lee was writing for them

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bummed about FF but a comic cancellation has nothing to do with movies... Honestly. How many of you started reading comics after the Avengers movie, sure you might have started reading them after watching the cartoons but not really after the movies...

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: I agree with this. Not everyone is going to immediately pick up a comic once they seen the movie. I mean, it took me over a decade just to pick up an X-Men comic, even though I've been watching the cartoons since I was little.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Cap10nate

I think that the lack of advertising and use of F4 characters in 75th anniversary promotionals is a result of them not having the rights but agree that the book is being canceled due to mediocre sales. I believe that the leash is shorter because they don't have the rights.

I've really been enjoying the current run so I hope it ends strong.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Though I can't shake a sneaking suspicion that the movie rights dispute might be a catalyst, I'm more inclined to think the rational cause of the Fantastic Four's cancellation is due to low sales for a supposed flagship title.

Which is a damn shame. Despite the lack of advertising, promotion and backing for the FF, Robinson's recent run was pretty good. Well worth continuing for longer than January 2015. Still, may it end on a positive and high note.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to care more. But i just can't. The F4 have just never been very interesting to me.

Beata

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Has nothing to do with the movie. That's a stupid conspiracy theory with no real credibility. It doesn't even make sense from monetary perspective. There's nothing more credible than money.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't put much past the group currently in charge of marvel. Then again the FF has been so bad recently it's almost a mercy killing.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they certainally have done it for spite for the xmen not too sure about fantastic four but I wouldn't put it past marvel

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The movie rights may be a small reason for why FF is getting cancelled but I think the main reason are the low sales. Marvel seem not to care about what the title is as long as it sells well but if it doesn't sell well they can cancel it without a problem and later relaunch it.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: It's their cynicism that irritates.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Yeah, a lot. But I have to say that both DC and Marvel are acting the same and no more a person can make a difference.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

When was the last time FF did sell well?

FF hasnt sold well to my knowledge since Stan Lee was writing for them

lol. No. They were one of Marvels top selling titles in the 70s and particularly when John Bryne wrote for them in the 1980s. Then they did well again when Jim Lee helmed the "Heroes Reborn" series in the 90s. They also were the top selling book of Marvel and DC a couple of years ago and Future Foundation sold rather well.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Agreed. I have to wonder was it always this way and I just didn't notice?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: That;s what I'm asking myself as well. In the past I think both companies weren't like this but maybe I was delusional about it and just didn't notice it.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: I like to think that there wasa time when the writers, editors and publishers looked at the characters as something besides a way to a paycheck or a better job in the movie industry, I'm sure there was and probably is, but so many of the publishing moves are just so cynical and manipulative it's hard to.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think they cancelled it because the FF don't sell. Cancelling it won't do anything to impact how the movie does. Like not even .00001 percent of the gross will be affected.

I also agree with your points that they would have done it to X-Men and Spider-Man if that were the case.

Even id it is .0001 percent, to Disney that's still something they can do to slow down Fox. Besides the series wasn't even at cancelation numbers.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: .0001 percent isn't enough to slow down a blockbuster. That won't even come close to blocking off a million.

And even if the people who read FF were angry with it being cancelled it's not like those fans wouldn't see the movie because of it. This has no bearimg on how the movie will do.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: The .0001 percent thing is a metaphor, the point is Disney is not on good terms with Fox.

Also the fans won't see the movie, because if you have been paying attention to the reports of this film, Fox clearly doesn't care about making a good or faithful FF movie. Also the comics do help get more fans in the seats, I can defiantly say the new Ant-Man series that's coming out will help Scott Lang get some fans.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't put much past the group currently in charge of marvel. Then again the FF has been so bad recently it's almost a mercy killing.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I doubt we'll ever truly know the reason. For myself the only thing I've seen out of marvel supergroups is forced disfunction, betrayal and near constant fighitng between the groups themselves. I think one of the reasons they might be canceling the title is because with most of the events featuring battles between the X-men and the Avengers there really isn't any room for a family title at marvel. The company and it's writers seem far too cynical to write anything with the hopeful spirit of adventure and exploration that once was the FF.

Or it could be that they needed to cancel a title to make room for another, threw a dart at the board and it landed on the Fantastic Four. The only thing I can be really sure of was that it wasn't done for artistic reasons because I really don't believe that marvel makes decisions based on those anymore.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt we'll ever truly know the reason. For myself the only thing I've seen out of marvel supergroups is forced disfunction, betrayal and near constant fighitng between the groups themselves. I think one of the reasons they might be canceling the title is because with most of the events featuring battles between the X-men and the Avengers there really isn't any room for a family title at marvel. The company and it's writers seem far too cynical to write anything with the hopeful spirit of adventure and exploration that once was the FF.

Or it could be that they needed to cancel a title to make room for another, threw a dart at the board and it landed on the Fantastic Four. The only thing I can be really sure of was that it wasn't done for artistic reasons because I really don't believe that marvel makes decisions based on those anymore.

You said it before I did. I really do think this symbolizes a loss of the adventure stories, quests, and teamwork that I grew up on.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very depressing news. I am really enjoying the current run.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's sales, since there are worse selling titles at Marvel.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: I definitely agree with this. It seems like lately Marvel is destroying relationships and family ties in their books now and maybe this was one of the reasons why the Fantastic Four is getting cancelled since the Fantastic Four is a superhero family (although that's just a speculation).

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@rabbitearsblog: I think that they've mistaken conflict and argument in a family as the entire plot instead of simply part of the plot.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FearTheLiving

@silverpool said:

This. The only thing I see Marvel doing to really "hurt" anyone was with them no longer going to create new mutants. Which makes sense why risk creating amazing character that Fox can snatch up for their movies when you could easily just make them Inhumans and keep their rights along with beefing up a new property under their complete control.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

This is very depressing news. I am really enjoying the current run.

I agree. The current run is actually very well written. Fox Abattoirs on the other hand really need to stop butchering Marvel characters. Turning the Fantastic Four into "Chronicle 2" is one of the dumbest moves ever.

Would love to see a proper Marvel Studios adaptation with Doug Liman (Edge Of Tomorrow) directing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.