Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

The future of All-New Marvel Now is..."Future"?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Marvel just put a new teaser out, which has the word "Future" in yellow, with a thin purple outline. Not sure where the colors factor in, but I'm guessing that it's the WatXM relaunch. This is probably a total stretch, but Wolverine's always saying "Those kids are the future". That's honestly all I've got in the evidence department.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo! I'm right! I cannot express how happy I am that this is actually happening!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_
    green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds very Yogi Berra to me...the future is the future.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mercy_: ign.com/articles/2013/12/03/a-new-semester-begins-for-wolverine-and-the-x-men

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_

I may start reading this again.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

This is an odd one. It was selling fairly well, so it's not like it needs a big sales boost. Are they just relaunching it because of the change in creative team?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I'd assume so. Even if it's not a huge increase I'm sure it'll increase sales as well.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@peppeyhare: Definitely for the first few issues anyway.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

" as Quentin Quire steps into the big leagues and Fantomex joins the teaching staff."

OH YES!!! SO MUCH EXCITMENT!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maddpanda531

I really hope it's like issue 38. I really loved last week's issue because it focused a lot more on the students, which is what I really wanted to see more of in WatXM. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favorite series overall, but there's so much more it could have done with the kids. I was so bummed out when I heard the series was being cancelled, it's so great to know that it's coming back so soon! Although, I really would have loved to see a 50th issue...

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

This is an odd one. It was selling fairly well, so it's not like it needs a big sales boost. Are they just relaunching it because of the change in creative team?

Marvel appears to be relaunching a lot of their books, most likely a marketing gimmick to increase sales.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Are many actually getting a new #1 though? I only know of Fantastic Four, X-Factor and Captain Marvel.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I going to try this out.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maddpanda531

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yeah, it looks as though it's an actual new #1, which is strange because all the other #1's were just so they could increase the price from 2.99 to 3.99, but that logic doesn't work here...

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeppeyHare
    Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice Quentin in "the big leagues" he became one of my favorite X-men. I really did not like WaTXM after a while and I stopped collecting it a few months ago (exception being BoTA) but I am on board for the first few issues at least and I hope it will stay on my pull list for a long time :)

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: @v_scarlotte_rose: I think it's mainly to "clean up" their lineup, getting rid of all the pre-marvel now titles so they can be relaunched as part of the line. They probably planned this all along, just unlike New 52 it wasn't as sudden and let some of the old titles die out or have a proper ending.

As for Fantastic 4, that's pretty weird, relaunching a Marvel Now title...must be to distinguish it from Matt Fraction's run who got lower rating due to the comparisons to Hickman's run but that's just wild guessing on my part.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Latour said that the series will focus on Quentin Quire, Evan, and Idie. Pretty exciting, I've really come to like Quentin and I've wanted to see more of Evan. Not sure what to think about Idie still, though...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@maccyd: Ahh, that makes some sense.

I'm not totally sure about Fantastic Four, but maybe it's relaunching because they're merging it with FF, and wanted a fresh start with it going in a different direction:

"Marvel.com: So all I really know about your arc going into this interview is you’re going to destroy the Fantastic Four.

James Robinson: I think it was Grant Morrison that said a gentleman writer comes on a book, duly messes everything up for the characters, but then puts it back together again at the end the way he left it. So absolutely I intend to put the team through hell and obviously they survive because it’s super heroes but the way they do it—and this is something unique to the Fantastic Four—is that they triumph through their familial bonds. They love each other. That’s the family they are, as opposed to being just a team like other heroes. That’s definitely an aspect that I’m going to be playing up, what all four of them mean to each other. The ever-growing group around them too; obviously you have Franklin and Valeria, but then you also have the Future Foundation and Dragon Man, and then beyond that even you have Matt Fraction and Mike Allred's FF: Scott Lang, Darla Deering, Medusa and She-Hulk. I’m not sure about Medusa but apart from her you’ll see all of these characters and they will be a part of the story I have planned."

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Ah makes more sense than my guess. I didn't know they were combining the two books. Was it a creative decision (writer) or editorial decision (sales)?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I'm not totally sure. It was announced in August that Matt Fraction was leaving both titles to focus on other things, but the announcement of cancellation came about two months later. When the leaving announcement was made they sold 34,018 and 29,180 copies the previous month, and when the cancellation announcement was made, they had sold 31,426 and 25,443 copies the previous month. These aren't strictly the 20,000 cancellation points we hear about, but maybe they thought it was a bit low for a well known team, and perhaps low enough to consider a relaunch.

I get the feeling it was maybe a combination of creative and editorial. It could have been that James Robinson wanted to tell a story with all of the characters, or maybe FF was just close enough to cancellation numbers that they didn't think it would be worth relaunching.

I'll get back to you if I find a real answer. :)

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maddpanda531

@maccyd: @v_scarlotte_rose: All I know, as far as the F4 relaunch, is that I'm seriously going to miss seeing the Allreds' work each month...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: I know how you feel. I'm hoping Silver Surfer will make up for it though. :)

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maddpanda531

@v_scarlotte_rose: Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about that! (How did I forget about that!?) Now I'm sooooo looking forward to SS.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: I've never read a Silver Surfer comic, but The Allreds are making me look forward to it. :)

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yeah, I've really only read Silver Surfer in guest appearances (his fight witth Cable in Cable and Deadpool was one of my favorite moments from that series) and in Silver Surfer 50 (which I randomly picked up from a grocery store for a quarter). I've always thought him a cool character, though. I actually just noticed that he shows up on the FF 16 cover, which is curious.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: I think I've seen him in a couple of things, but never as a solo character. Hopefully it'll be fairly new reader friendly.

Maybe there'll be a few pages of preview or something. Perhaps that's unlikely though, what with there being a Silver Surfer segment in the Point One issue that's coming.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I'm sure it will be, that's what Marvel Now's all about, right? I'm totally looking forward to the Point One issue, so many cool-looking new series coming out!

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the FF series and the Infinity: the Hunt, I know people have mixed views on young heros, but the original Xmen did well, In fact from conception have probably been more successful then superman, batman or the avengers with countless spin offs. So I very much look forward to moving forward, be they mutants, aliens or inhumans, teenage teams will always have an audience and will always grow to successful adult heros if they are successful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.