Strength levels of higher end Marvel Characters

#1 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

Strength Levels of Marvel Characters

This has been a hotly debated topic in many battle threads and postings.

We have the official published Marvel figures that typically have most characters ranging from normal human strength to being able to lift up to 100 tonnes. There are many notable characters that exceed this 100 tonne threshold.

However, hundreds of published occasions have shown characters perform actions that are well beyond a ‘100 tonnes’ limit. As mentioned, there are far too many occasions to name in full but here are some examples that briefly detail the action, the character and their strength level according to a later version of the published Official Marvel Handbooks.

Sasquatch (70 tonnes) lifting up one end of a destroyer out of the water it was floating on. A loaded destroyer weights in at roughly 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes, although

Sentry (over 100 tonnes) struggling to slow a falling helicarrier. The helicarrier would appear to be similar in size and weight to a destroyer (so between 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes again).

Gladiator (over 100 tonnes) lifting the Baxter Building. The building should weight in between 60,000 – 100,000 tonnes. I use this example even though Reed Richards theorised that Gladiator was having his strength boosted by Sh’iar technology because this strength level seems to gel with others on this list.

Hulk (reasonably enraged – functionally calm 85 tonnes, at this level of anger, well over 100 tonnes) rupturing a 6 inch thick plate of carbon steel with a single punch. Through calculation, based on the strength of standard tempered medium carbon steel, and the size of the Hulk’s fists contact area being very large, he would require strength in excess of 100,000 tonnes, to deliver the needed tonnage to rupture the plate.

• Many other characters have performed similar destructive feats.

Thor (more than 100 tonnes) lifting the tail of the Midgard Serpent. He appeared to be lifting at least a 300 feet length of the tail, that was approx 50 feet in diameter. The weight of the tail (based on a nominal 1g/cm cubed figure) would be roughly 17,000 tonnes. As with many other Asgardian beings, this figure could be 2 – 3 times greater as the density of the flesh of these beings is 2 – 3 times higher.

Thor (more than 100 tonnes) lifting and throwing the Odin sword. The sword is at least 300 feet long. Using nominal dimensions and basing the material used on normal mild steel, the weight of the sword would be roughly 35,000 tonnes. To meaningfully throw it as well would require strength greater than 80,000 tonnes.

As you see, the published figures fall far short of the depicted events. However, the use of the official ratings can be used to provide some guidance and relationship between the various strength levels of the characters. For instance, Thor (lift over 100 tonnes – but lets say 110 tonnes) being perhaps 30% stronger than the Thing (lift 85 tonnes).

Do these strength levels fit in better with the powerhouses ?

#2 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah thats good excep thro lifting 110tons little weak wouldnt you say his done little to much to be considered just at 110 espically since marvel already stated thats their strongest hero hulk is the same yes but hes twic the size of tor so imagien him at thors size lol

#3 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else got any thoughts on the inacuracy of the origianl Marvel strength levels ?

#4 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

With that in mind I think maybe Marvel could hang in there with some DBZ people.

#5 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"With that in mind I think maybe Marvel could hang in there with some DBZ people."

Thats a good point.

It still however means that they fall far short of the DC powerhouses in terms of lifting strength.

#6 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they're inaccurate (as in straight up wrong) for the most part. There are definitely instances where they are (Sasquatch is one I've brought up before and there are others), but most of the time they're good. They are terribly vague though, especially when it gets to 100+ tons. That's one reason I don't use them as pure fact, I have to see where they fit alongside comic feats. (And similarly I don't take all comic feats as fact without comparisons because of the demands of plot and specific circumstances.)

#7 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"I don't think they're inaccurate (as in straight up wrong) for the most part. There are definitely instances where they are (Sasquatch is one I've brought up before and there are others), but most of the time they're good. They are terribly vague though, especially when it gets to 100+ tons. That's one reason I don't use them as pure fact, I have to see where they fit alongside comic feats. (And similarly I don't take all comic feats as fact without comparisons because of the demands of plot and specific circumstances.) "

As we all should do.

#8 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

Very well though out Creator. Could use some additional examples and details. I will try to locate and calculate some for this thread. Any specific Comic Titles/Issues for a specific hero (preferably on the high end of things, let me know and I will research for the list)

#9 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio
"Sasquatch (70 tonnes) lifting up one end of a destroyer out of the water it was floating on. A loaded destroyer weights in at roughly 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes, althoughSentry (over 100 tonnes) struggling to slow a falling helicarrier. The helicarrier would appear to be similar in size and weight to a destroyer (so between 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes again)."

2 other factors to keep in mind in these examples, the velocity of the objects and the fulcrum of weight distribution.

Sasquatch had an immobile object with a tail end fulcrum of distribution, this could decrease the weight factor as much as 70%

In Snetry's case the object would have been traveling at 200-250 meters/second (around 400 mph), and he is attempting to be the fulcrum of weight over the length of the helicarrier. Theses factors would increase the mass factor in excess of 10,000 times. Also, in the case of Sentry it is not just a matter of mass it is also his flight powers trying to arrest the mass and velocity of the helicarrier.

#10 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

hows about spawn? or magneto? cuz magneto ripped wolverines adamantium skeleton appart <.< with his magnetic powers of course...

#11 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

and thats a pieve of cake for hulk btw <.<

#12 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

The_Creator says:

"Strength Levels of Marvel Characters This has been a hotly debated topic in many battle threads and postings. We have the official published Marvel figures that typically have most characters ranging from normal human strength to being able to lift up to 100 tonnes. There are many notable characters that exceed this 100 tonne threshold. However, hundreds of published occasions have shown characters perform actions that are well beyond a ‘100 tonnes’ limit. As mentioned, there are far too many occasions to name in full but here are some examples that briefly detail the action, the character and their strength level according to a later version of the published Official Marvel Handbooks. Sasquatch (70 tonnes) lifting up one end of a destroyer out of the water it was floating on. A loaded destroyer weights in at roughly 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes, although Sentry (over 100 tonnes) struggling to slow a falling helicarrier. The helicarrier would appear to be similar in size and weight to a destroyer (so between 20,000 – 60,000 tonnes again). Gladiator (over 100 tonnes) lifting the Baxter Building. The building should weight in between 60,000 – 100,000 tonnes. I use this example even though Reed Richards theorised that Gladiator was having his strength boosted by Sh’iar technology because this strength level seems to gel with others on this list. Hulk (reasonably enraged – functionally calm 85 tonnes, at this level of anger, well over 100 tonnes) rupturing a 6 inch thick plate of carbon steel with a single punch. Through calculation, based on the strength of standard tempered medium carbon steel, and the size of the Hulk’s fists contact area being very large, he would require strength in excess of 100,000 tonnes, to deliver the needed tonnage to rupture the plate. - Many other characters have performed similar destructive feats. Thor (more than 100 tonnes) lifting the tail of the Midgard Serpent. He appeared to be lifting at least a 300 feet length of the tail, that was approx 50 feet in diameter. The weight of the tail (based on a nominal 1g/cm cubed figure) would be roughly 17,000 tonnes. As with many other Asgardian beings, this figure could be 2 – 3 times greater as the density of the flesh of these beings is 2 – 3 times higher. Thor (more than 100 tonnes) lifting and throwing the Odin sword. The sword is at least 300 feet long. Using nominal dimensions and basing the material used on normal mild steel, the weight of the sword would be roughly 35,000 tonnes. To meaningfully throw it as well would require strength greater than 80,000 tonnes. As you see, the published figures fall far short of the depicted events. However, the use of the official ratings can be used to provide some guidance and relationship between the various strength levels of the characters. For instance, Thor (lift over 100 tonnes – but lets say 110 tonnes) being perhaps 30% stronger than the Thing (lift 85 tonnes). Do these strength levels fit in better with the powerhouses ? "

The helicarrier has been shown to be large enough to carry a number of b-52 bombers. I don't see a flying ship the length of a destroyer bieng feasibly long enough to successfuly launch a bomber the size of the B-52 Stratofortress. =P

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"hows about spawn? or magneto? cuz magneto ripped wolverines adamantium skeleton appart <.< with his magnetic powers of course..."

Not a strength feat.

Warlock360 says:

"and thats a pieve of cake for hulk btw <.<"

Not true adamantium.

#14 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

" and thats a pieve of cake for hulk btw <.<"

That's an overstatement. He is visibly straining to squeeze that.

#15 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

Not true adamantium."

huh?

#16 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Scrin Supervisor 925 Unit Alpha says:

"Warlock360 says:

That's an overstatement. He is visibly straining to squeeze that."

i dont get what u guys mean^^

#17 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

i would put mags on HIGH rate cuz he did this with only half his powers

#18 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"i would put mags on HIGH rate cuz he did this with only half his powers"

but that's not using his strength. he has normal human strength. that's using his powers.

#19 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"Scrin Supervisor 925 Unit Alpha says:
"Warlock360 says:
i dont get what u guys mean^^"

What I'm saying is that hulk didn't squeeze the secondary admantium into a ball like if it was a snap. In fact he's straining to do that feat.

#20 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Warlock360 says:

but that's not using his strength. he has normal human strength. that's using his powers."

well mags beat collosus hand 2 hand

#21 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

"Warlock360 says:

Yes, he is squeezing, but he was not that pissed off, and this is a very young hulk (all things considered) he is much much stronger now.

#22 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

"Warlock360 says:
"Scrin Supervisor 925 Unit Alpha says:
"Warlock360 says:
i dont get what u guys mean^^"

What I'm saying is that hulk didn't squeeze the secondary admantium into a ball like if it was a snap. In fact he's straining to do that feat. "

well he made it fast enough to capture blaastor in it and thats what counts <.<

#23 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"Apparition says:
"Warlock360 says:

but that's not using his strength. he has normal human strength. that's using his powers."

well mags beat collosus hand 2 hand "

not using his strength he didnt. phoenix can beat colossus in hand to hand too, but she would be using her telekinesis. this isnt about a fight this is about strength alone.

#24 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Warlock360 says:
"Apparition says:
"Warlock360 says:

not using his strength he didnt. phoenix can beat colossus in hand to hand too, but she would be using her telekinesis. this isnt about a fight this is about strength alone."

if so then Drax with his Gem

#25 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say the destroyer armor. It is INFINITELY strong.

#26 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"Apparition says:
"but that's not using his strength. he has normal human strength. that's using his powers."

not using his strength he didnt. phoenix can beat colossus in hand to hand too, but she would be using her telekinesis. this isnt about a fight this is about strength alone."

if so then Drax with his Gem"

that's fine, but he isnt asking who the strongest is, just trying to determine how strong the strongest people are.

#27 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Warlock360 says:
"Apparition says:
"but that's not using his strength. he has normal human strength. that's using his powers."

if so then Drax with his Gem"

that's fine, but he isnt asking who the strongest is, just trying to determine how strong the strongest people are."

oh...

#28 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"Apparition says:
"Warlock360 says:
"Apparition says:
not using his strength he didnt. phoenix can beat colossus in hand to hand too, but she would be using her telekinesis. this isnt about a fight this is about **strength** alone." if so then Drax with his Gem" that's fine, but he isnt asking who the strongest is, just trying to determine how strong the strongest people are."
oh... "

lol

#29 Posted by BatDance (2206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dreadnaught said:
"

The helicarrier has been shown to be large enough to carry a number of b-52 bombers. I don't see a flying ship the length of a destroyer bieng feasibly long enough to successfuly launch a bomber the size of the B-52 Stratofortress. =P

"
I would rank both Ironman and Namor in the very same low heavy weight category
While both are incredibly strong and can probably lift 10,000 tonnes pretty easy, they both have exact limits to their strength and they both waste strength rapidly. With Ironman he depends on a technological power source, Namor depends on his natural bond to water to enhance his strength 

Needless to stay Marvel's 100 tonne class system is not accurate and out dated
#30 Posted by Alpha (7331 posts) - - Show Bio
@BatDance said:
" @Dreadnaught said:
"

"
I would rank both Ironman and Namor in the very same low heavy weight category
While both are incredibly strong and can probably lift 10,000 tonnes pretty easy, they both have exact limits to their strength and they both waste strength rapidly. With Ironman he depends on a technological power source, Namor depends on his natural bond to water to enhance his strength 

Needless to stay Marvel's 100 tonne class system is not accurate and out dated
"
Your last statement is so true.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.