So...Why does everyone hate Bendis?

#1 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Excuse my possible ignorance in this, as I have only been into comics for the past 2 years, but in that time I have seen more hate for Brian Michael Bendis than any other writer. Having read alot of his New Avengers stuff and other things by him, my opinion of him is neutral. But I'm curious to know why everyone is so down on the guy and hates on everything with his name on it. Not that I agree or disagree, but I am just wondering about the deeper reasons behind the dislike of him, as usually I only see general comments about how awful he is without much explanation. If you guys could enlighten me, I would be grateful, thanks.

#2 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question. I LOVE his Ultimate Spider-Man stuff, but a lot of long-time marvel readers say that his run on Avengers is bad.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22305 posts) - - Show Bio

cause it's cool

#4 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

He put my three favorite characters on a team, and ruined my dreams by making it the crappiest Avengers arc ever.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32891 posts) - - Show Bio
@NyxEquitis: Because he totally ignores continuity and characterization and if a character isn't one of his "favourites" then he treats them like crap and usually kills them off are makes them go insane 
#6 Posted by Cosmic_Hobo (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I like most of his stuff. I actually love the vast majority of his Avengers stuff, but then Scarlet Witch and Vision are two of my least favourite members, so I guess I never minded how he treated them:P I genuinely like his characterisation and dialogue (most of the time), so I don't really get the sheer amount of hatred, and I can see why Marvel has mostly ignored it, as his books still sell well.

That said, he shouldn't have been in charge of the Avengers for nearly as long as he has. He's not really great at epic stories, because he doesn't know how to end them. he tends to do a huge amount of build up, and then things kind of fizzle out, which manages to be disappointing every time.

He's far better when he can have control of less invasive series that don't get all tied up in other people continuity. Ultimate Spider-Man is outstanding, and has been for an insane number of issues, and I loved both Alias and Powers

there are, no doubt, a lot of people who disagree with me. Rather vehemently I imagine:)

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12590 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad characterization, plot holes, bad roster choices ( Red Hulk....really!?!?). Stuff along those lines.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see, where do I start.... 

1.He made Luke Cage the worst leader in Avengers history, although he claims he loves the character. 
2.He will put anyone on an Avengers roster, especially character he has particular interest in or characters he created. He doesn't think about how that ruins the team dynamic. 
3.He brought Echo into the Avengerd..did NOTHING with her, had her absent for almost all of Secret Invasion,just to bring her back in a Moon Knight book and kill her off. 
4.He doesn't do his homework. He writes things that are sometimes contradictory to what has already been established (example.Ms.Marvel's flight speed.) 
5.Events. They are the worst thing about Marvel Comics right now and he orchestrates most of them.

#9 Posted by thespis (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Alias, Powers and Ultimate Spidey, but yeah, I haven't heard a lot of positive things about his work on Avengers.

#10 Posted by War Killer (19994 posts) - - Show Bio

His work on Ultimate Spider-Man is amazing, everything else though...not so much.

#11 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he only needs to do 1 book, while they keep shoving him into 29

"No such thing as chaos magic" = someone else fixing your eff up before other writers have to re-write a characters entire origin starting with the "Chthon" blessing.

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

His work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil are great but his Avengers is the worst thing ever.His characterization and plots are just blunt and suck all the way.

#13 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, thanks for the response everybody! It helps knowing why everyone dislikes him, I was genuinely curious.

#14 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked his Daredevil run, USM and the first New Avengers volume. But the rest was...nyaah.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.