Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Something I've noticed about Marvel movies

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but Marvel has very few great movies.

Great Marvel Movies: Iron Man, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy

Average Marvel Movies: Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Thor: The Dark World

Bad Marvel Movies: Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems so weird, Marvel is famous for having amazing movies but they kinda... don't. What's up with that?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bandwagon effect.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd switch Hulk & thor the dark world and put avengers on average. But yeah you're right.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 SC  Moderator

I think Marvel are more famous for having financially successful movies (which is easy to gauge/measure), rather than necessarily great movies (which is a bit more subjective), and thats surprising in the sense that before Iron Man, to a large extent only the big name iconic characters had a chance to be profitable, at least in the expectations of many. I think that is what is up, with what some might say is that.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Kind of agree with this list since my favorite movies from the MCU are Iron Man, the Avengers, Captain America Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy and the rest were just okay. Let's see what the future MCU movies will be like.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Avengers, Guardian of the Galaxy, Ironman 1 and Cap: the winter soldier are good movies. The others are just mediocres

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: Avengers replay value dies down very quickly but the rest I agree with.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: I think it's a very spectacular movie, with a simple plot but great fightings. Man of Steel or the Transformers movies have no spectacular fightings, are just movies where the cities are destroyed.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: Mos city getting destroyed had a purpose unlike transformers. As for avengers that's all opinion so I can't argue.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: Seems unfair to group Man of Steel with Transformers. While MoS definitely had some pacing issues and the amount of destruction was maybe a little excessive, the plot was good and the fighting was actually really well choreographed and directed (there was just too much of it).

Transformers on the other hand is just the most basic of plots with no character development at all, and is mostly based around big robots blowing stuff up.

I'm not saying Man of Steel was an amazing film or anything like that, but it's way better than the Transformers movies.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: The plot of MOS is far from good, it's boring and lame and the fightings are really stupid, just super guys who pushing each other, like a bar fight between two drunk.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And yet dissing DC movies has become everyone's favourite pasttime.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say Incredible Hulk was a bad movie.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find most of their movies a too formulaic with plots littered with tropes unfortunately those are the types of movies that appeal to most people. Also I thought Incredible Hulk was better than both Thors.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: You not liking the plot doesn't make it bad. It's a genuinely interesting look at Superman, how he's had to become "human" and is scared of showing the world who he really is, it has him choose Earth and the human race over Krypton and his own people, it's actually pretty cool.

As for the fighting, I maintain that it's actually well done. If you actually look at what's going on it's much more thought out than most movie fights. You have Faora using Kryptonian martial arts taken from the actual Superman comics. You have Superman trying to fly off, only to be grabbed and slammed into the ground. You have Superman punching Zod through the air, then flying over to him and punching him again, all shot from over Superman's shoulder... it's actually much cooler than the standard fighting in movies.

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, you don't have to like Man of Steel, like I said it's nowhere near amazing, but it seems like it's just the fashion to think that all Marvel movies are amazing and all DC movies are crap, which is kinda stupid.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Moul

@minisaladfresh: I don't say all DC movies are crap. Superman 1 and 2 are amazing, the Burton's movies about Batman are my favourites cinecomics and the Nolan trilogy is pretty awesome (though I don't like TDKR). The Dark Knight is practically the best cinecomic ever made. MOS, sadly, is a very bad movie, there are a lot of things who don't work, a lot of actors whose acting is lame, the movie has no heart and there are a lot of ridiculous scenes (the death of Jonathan Kent is a masterpiece of trash). Plus I think Amy Adams is the worst Lois Lane I've ever seen. MOS had to be the rebirth of Superman for the general public, instead it has helped to kill the enthusiasm for Superman even more than before

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did you group Hulk with MCU films?

Beata

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By MatthewParker

@minisaladfresh said:

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but Marvel has very few great movies.

Great Marvel Movies: Iron Man, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy

Average Marvel Movies: Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Thor: The Dark World

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems so weird, Marvel is famous for having amazing movies but they kinda... don't. What's up with that?

Hulk is not part of the MCU. And what you put is all a matter of opinion.

I'd say.

Great: Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy

Good: Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2

Ok: The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 3

But since that's just my personal opinion i'm going to post critics' consensus.

Iron Man: 93% positive reviews

Avengers: 92% positive reviews

Guardians of the Galaxy: 91% positive reviews

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 89% positive reviews

Captain America: The First Avenger: 79% positive reviews

Iron Man 3: 78% positive reviews

Thor: 77% positive reviews

Iron Man 2: 73% positive reviews

The Incredible Hulk: 67% positive reviews

Thor: The Dark World: 65% positive reviews

That leaves Marvel with 8 "certified fresh" movies, 2 "fresh" movies, an avg 80.4% positive reviews for MCU movies. In comparison, the "DCCU" has, one "rotten" movie, and 55% positive reviews for its movie

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really only love three of their movies (Guardians, Iron Man and Winter Soldier). Avengers was great the first time I watched it but now I can't get through the first 5 minutes -- it's pretty bad nowadays. The rest really aren't that great and are severely overhyped by their fanboys.

IMHO I like Fox's take on the X-Men much more than Marvel Studios.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: Yeah those are all fair comments, I just disagree about the complaints with the plot and fighting - I think those are two things that the movie did well, amongst a bunch of bad stuff. I'd say overall it's about average. Compared to movies like Green Lantern, Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine etc. though it's hard to call it bad. We've seen a lot of awful superhero movies, and I think it's fair to say that while Man of Steel isn't great, it's definitely better than those.

@spidey_jackson I grouped it because it's a Marvel movie. The only movies I'm discounting are ones made by another studio, e.g. Spider-Man and X-Men. Technically Hulk is still a Marvel movie, even if it's no longer canon. Although wasn't it kind of hinted in Incredible Hulk that it might be sort of canon? I thought it was like a soft reboot, continuing the story but not really mentioning the first movie. Could be wrong though.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Outside of Thor 2, I think what MCU has pumped out has been awesome. (I don't count Hulk as MCU). It's subjective, I guess.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By THORSON

YAWN!!

i'm still able to enjoy all of them. Sorry you have to over-rate every movie you watch. All marvel movies are pretty good and fun to watch. They don't look like low budget filth so I'm happy with what I got.

If you are having trouble having fun with these movies then stop watching movies and find a new hobby. I'm so sick of people complaining and judging movies so hard.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would add another category... Good movies.. put Thor in their and TIH as well. The rest fit well

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They care about money more than quality films, and both hulk films were great in my opinion. I'd put avengers in the average movie category as well, although it was the most fun and entertaining

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kokemabb200

@cattlebattle said:

Bandwagon effect.

Definitely seems like it. A lot of the movies they've pushed have been pretty mediocre. I agree with the OPs selection of great ones except for Avengers (thought it was average). But the others don't really make an impression

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avengers, Iron man, winter soldier.

btw i thought Mos was a great film.

SteelEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't include Hulk from 2003 in with the other Marvel movies. Aside from that, I don't there is a bad film in the bunch. Avengers, Guardians, Iron Man, and TWS are all fantastic. TFA, Iron Man 2-3, and Thor were all decent films. Dark World and The Incredible Hulk are both decent but lower than the rest. I don't think any of them qualify as bad.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all good at best. Except Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. Those are very good.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Movies--Iron Man 1, Cap 2, and GotG

Good--Avengers

Average--Hulk

Bad--Thor, Thor 2, IM2, IM3, Cap 1

In my pinion, MCU has just a mediocre slate of movies. Even the good/great ones were massively overrated

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even the ones you list as mediocre had entertainment value above much is what is released and if you look at the overall financials, their track record and profits are far better than most.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.