Should the Ultimate Universe be cancelled?

#1 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion I no longer see the point in having the Ultimate Universe when the main universe's books are so much better. 

The novelty of the concept has now worn off.

Marvel should instead put more money into main universe books and launch new series: one for each ultimate title.
#2 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Presumably the ultimate books are selling well and provide an opportunity to tell stories outside of 616 continuity. From Marvel's point of view, those are good things they could lose by cancelling in favour of other (untested) books.

#3 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Presumably the ultimate books are selling well and provide an opportunity to tell stories outside of 616 continuity. From Marvel's point of view, those are good things they could lose by cancelling in favour of other (untested) books."
But haven't sales in books such as UXM dropped drastically? What I was saying was that it would be better if they dropped a few ultimate books and started new 616 ones: if they dropped UXm they could have a new x-men 616 book.
#4 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no guarantee that the Ult. X-Men readers would follow to a new book if it got canceled.

#5 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

What i want to see again is marvel doing non Original IP comics again. 

#6 Posted by Bookman (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore.

#7 Posted by Bookman (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore.

#8 Posted by The Shadow Knight (174 posts) - - Show Bio
Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."
I thought he was the same age in BND?
#9 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel looks like they're trying to expand the ultimate universe so canceling a book like X-Men is not a good idea. Plus whether the sales increased or declined, every month most or all of the Ultimate books do pretty well.

http://www.comichron.com/MonthlyRankings/Diamond2008/DiamondApril2008/tabid/301/Default.aspx

#10 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: No.

#11 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19302 posts) - - Show Bio

NEVAAAAAA I love the Ultimate Universe, and the Ultimate X-MEN are the best

#12 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey.
#13 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey."
Ultimate Spidey sells almost as much as Amazing so why not keep both eh.
#14 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

yahhhh i like the UXM...sometimes...there's no reason to cancel it

#15 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
zero edge said:
"Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey."
Ultimate Spidey sells almost as much as Amazing so why not keep both eh.
"

The sad thing is, Amazing should be thrashing it because it's one of Marvel's flagship books.
#16 Posted by Bouncing Boy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

For those of us who aren't actually liking the fact that SI is now in just about every title for the summer, I think the Ultimate Universe is perfect. Besides I love the New Banshee X-men. Angel looks cool as an Eagle.

#17 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

SI?

angel is an eagle?

#18 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"

SI?

angel is an eagle?

"

Secret Invasion and I agree, it's nice to have books that aren't thrown into summer crossover season. No idea about the eagle thing.
#19 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

oh mkay!

#20 Posted by The Shadow Knight (174 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"oh mkay!"

Augmented mutation triggered by use of ultimate "Banshee" (Mutant Growth Hormone).
#21 Posted by Bouncing Boy (24 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"

SI?

angel is an eagle?

"

#22 Posted by Bouncing Boy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

In the next issue of Ultimate X-Men you will see Warren mutated into an Eagle after taking the drug Banshee.

#23 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Marvel originally create the Ultimate Universe so young fans could follow a character/title from the beginning and to create a more adult version comic.  The later is a bit of a joke because everyday they try to go further and further in the regular comics than ever before.  I am getting at Ultimate Spider-man started the series from scratch and the Ultimates were the "R" version Avengers, Right?  Now Marvel has went and re-started Spider-man yet, again?

#24 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Somtimes you gotta go through the bad to get to the good =/

#25 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio
Bouncing Boy said:
"In the next issue of Ultimate X-Men you will see Warren mutated into an Eagle after taking the drug Banshee. "

Aw crap. I saw the solicitation image and was hoping that would be Ultimate Beak.
#26 Posted by PhoenixGirl (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the Ultimates. The main universe is so much better,

#27 Posted by Secret-Spider (123 posts) - - Show Bio

NO WAY!!!!! Why would you do that. i have to say that the old ones are better, but they already have so many ultimate comics. They still have a lot to do with them.

#28 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan.

#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan."
Agreed. I'm no fan of the Ult U, but from a business standpoint it makes no sense to cancel it.
#30 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell Frackin No!!!!!!!!!!

#31 Posted by dmstarz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spidey's still pretty good, but I do think the whole thing is becoming increasingly redundant due to the quality of the regular books.

#32 Posted by Marshall Madness (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I SAY THEE NAY!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by Blazing Eagle (280 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Korg said:
"The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan."
Agreed. I'm no fan of the Ult U, but from a business standpoint it makes no sense to cancel it.
"
I agree with both Gambler and Korg. Also if the Ultimate Line is canceled  like Cosmic Sentinel stated
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:

Ultimate fans would not go back to the Main Marvel Universe and they would just choose some smaller company or independent publishers like Top Cow, Image, or even B publisher.etc.

#34 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all.

#35 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Super-Buster said:
"I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all."
Yeah but when they start having the ultimate version of Nick Fury in the 616 version of Iron Man movie enough is enough. I understand what newer readers like you are saying, but can you imagine how confusing this is gonna get for an even newer reader.
#36 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Super-Buster said:
"I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all."
Yeah but when they start having the ultimate version of Nick Fury in the 616 version of Iron Man movie enough is enough. I understand what newer readers like you are saying, but can you imagine how confusing this is gonna get for an even newer reader.
"

yeah everyone else seemed to like that, but i was like, that's not nick fury...
#37 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Ultimates where their fighting Magneto in the Savage Land was awesome. And the art was cool to

#38 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio

At one point, Ult.Spidey surpassed Spider-man in sales.

I don't see the Ult.U getting canceled anytime soon.

#39 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
Slight said:
"NEVAAAAAA I love the Ultimate Universe, and the Ultimate X-MEN are the best"
Tevnoba said:
"Hell Frackin No!!!!!!!!!!
"
PREACH ON!
#40 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.