Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Should Marvel Start Up a Female Superhero (heroine) book?

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By GothamRed

DC has seen success over the years with their quasi-batman spin-off series Birds of Prey, which featured predominately, if not all, female heros.  Marvel on the other hand has had few super-heroine in recent years, and several of the ones they did have ended, so my question is, do you think it is a good idea for Marvel to go the Birds of Prey route and start up a team of women?  If so, How should they go about doing it and who should be on the team and why?

Ororo19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ororo19

Marvel Divas wasn't that good to me. 
    Maybe if they got strong characters and a good artist.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Depends who the line up is and who worked onit. The idea has potential if the right crews where put together.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By GothamRed
    @lazystudent: well that's why I asked who people thought should be on the team
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @GothamRed:  its tough really who to pick i assume using standard team of about 5. I would probs have Emma Frost , Rogue, Miss Marvel, Sue storm and She Hulk. its hard to narrow down since a few others i would consider.
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By XRiskyX

She-Hulk's Lady Liberators could maybe be a choice. Several on them are already on different teams but hey, Wolverine can be onn several teams at once, too so why can't Sue or Tigra?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian
    @Risky said:
    " She-Hulk's Lady Liberators could maybe be a choice. Several on them are already on different teams but hey, Wolverine can be onn several teams at once, too so why can't Sue or Tigra? "
    True and true.
    crackerjack82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crackerjack82

maybe not that Joe Q, god i hated him, is out as EIC and Axel is in we will get this

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Marvel really needs one, but they'd need one very good cast of characters. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes, but it'll only work with a top-tier artist using top-tier characters.  Marvel Divas had neither.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Isn't Heralds a superheroine only book?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

Marvel failed to hit any significant target audiences with their recent slew of female books.  They were too busy targetting the bored girlfriends of comic readers with titles like Models Inc & Marvel Divas.  Those titles don't even compare to the likes of Birds of Prey.  So I'd have to agree that it's about time that Marvel created a female group title that packs in characterisation & action.  A comic that comic girls can be proud to read... not too embarrased to pick off the shelves of their LCS.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Martian

I think that the Lady Liberators should have their own series =D

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator

Marvel should have the resources and money if not the knowledge already, to find out whether a Lady Liberators, or just Liberators book would sell well. Whichever had the better opportunity to succeed, launch that with a top name and top selling artist with a top selling writer, maybe Bendis, even if only for 10 issue lol 

Throw in She Hulk, Storm, and then other unused female characters, plus some select characters to help round the team off, and basically make it writable for the writer. I think Marvel should do that. Have it be fun too. I enjoy and loved Heralds and Lady Liberators arc in She Hulk, and She Hulk Cosmic Collision, one of those books were was a bit wordy though, apparently, according to most of my friends lol, the other, the art was too cartoony, and the other was a one shot.  

Get a skilled enough writer that can have it be fun, for the lowest common denominator but I want my quality writing that guys like Slott and PAD bring too. Majorie Liu writes all characters awesomely, so in my fantasy she'd be a strong contender for a writer too! Let it be a book that can slide as far as 14 k as well. If need be, relaunch it every five months with a new number 1. This would be the type of book, actually worth doing it for lol

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By fesak  Moderator

I'd buy a   Lady Liberators book, or maybe an all-female villain team book. There's not that many villain books around either.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Marvell needs to get their female character's back to their roots, like She-Hulk for example I think would be great if they gave her a ttle back along with bringing back her lawyer side again since personally I always felt that made her unique since we relly don't have many lawyers in the Marvel Universe, plus with the SHRA gone and the Avengers back, I can see people like Mayor Jameson trying to to sue the Avengers and other superheroes for destruction in his city, and who better to deal with that then a Gamma-powered lawyer, Jennifer Walters! ^_^ AND PLEASE!!! Stop making her sleep with EVERY other guy in the book, if they want to reach female readers, is it really smart to have their biggest and probably best female character's bed-hopping, I mean seriously, what kind of role-model is that?

As for a book like Birds of Prey, I think Lady Liberators would be Marvel's best bet, my only question/issue with it is that: What the heck would they do? I mean, we've got the Avengers, X-Men, FF....what would the world NEED an all female team for?

Personally I think Marvel should focus on their biggest female characters, like Ms. marvel, She-Hulk, Invisible Woman, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Black Widow, Emma Frost, ect and work on giving them their series and own title back, and if their not sure about a character, like Invisible Woman for example, give her a mini-series and see how it does.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Martian
    @SC said:
    " Marvel should have the resources and money if not the knowledge already, to find out whether a Lady Liberators, or just Liberators book would sell well. Whichever had the better opportunity to succeed, launch that with a top name and top selling artist with a top selling writer, maybe Bendis, even if only for 10 issue lol  Throw in She Hulk, Storm, and then other unused female characters, plus some select characters to help round the team off, and basically make it writable for the writer. I think Marvel should do that. Have it be fun too. I enjoy and loved Heralds and Lady Liberators arc in She Hulk, and She Hulk Cosmic Collision, one of those books were was a bit wordy though, apparently, according to most of my friends lol, the other, the art was too cartoony, and the other was a one shot.   Get a skilled enough writer that can have it be fun, for the lowest common denominator but I want my quality writing that guys like Slott and PAD bring too. Majorie Liu writes all characters awesomely, so in my fantasy she'd be a strong contender for a writer too! Let it be a book that can slide as far as 14 k as well. If need be, relaunch it every five months with a new number 1. This would be the type of book, actually worth doing it for lol "
    I absolutely agreed with what you just said =D
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By IrishX

The 2006 Heroes for Hire series led by Colleen Wing and Misty Knight was mostly a female group. 

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By NexusOfLight

If they made a book that wasn't focused on the "lady," "her-oes," "Ms" gimmick, but just happened to have an all female cast, then I'm sure it'd sell well.

superborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superborn

I nominate the sexy girl from the book Super Born: Seduction of Being. She could really help them out. She is not known as the Beoch in Black (B.I.B) for nothing! Throwing beer trucks always comes in handy.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Shadowdoggy

only if they can do it right 
    most comics centered around female characters in the marvel u end up being so contrived and condescending towards women that they are offensive and best, and uninteresting at worst 
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By harleyquinn12

It could work.  A Lady Liberators book would be intresting to see. I think an all female avengers line-up also could work. You'd need to have the right creative team. Marvel has so many great female characters(Spider-Woman, Ms Marvel, Sue Storm), and it would be a shame to see them go to waste.
    sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sandiego008

I cant imagine how they would be able to do this and do it well without having something like heros for hire.  What possible situation would call for all the top girl super heroes to get together and fight crime without their teams?  It would just be corny.

Now if they started a new team --- say a bunch of girls that somehow become mutants (think fantastic 4 style) then it may work.  Heck they could even have one of the big shots like she hulk take them under her wing and lead them.   And ... if they did the dangerous and made one of them over-weight ... it could draw a big following as they could write about how she deals with her weight and self esteem.  Heck bullying is a hot topic maybe she is bullied too!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.