Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Should I buy Age of Ultron?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The trailer for the new movie has whet my appetite for some Avengers stories, and it occurred to me that I've never actually read the original Age of Ultron story. I can get the hardcover for about $40, but the reviews for it are very mixed - Amazon has people rating it at 1 star, 5 stars, and everything in between.

So is it worth buying it for $40 or would it be a waste of my money?

If not, what Avengers book(s) should I buy instead?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Personally I tried reading the first issue and got so bored that I just ignored the rest of the event. It's not one of those super important crossovers, from what I can tell, so it's totally skippable.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It was a crap event.

Beata

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I only read an issue or two. I don't recall it being very well liked by people who read it. The upcoming movie isn't based on that storyline, but no doubt will it increase sales for that collection. I'm not much of an Avengers guy so I'm not one to make the best recommendations.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Not to get too off topic, but can anyone recommend some good Avenger events to read? I'm not interested in Age of Ultron if it's not too well-received.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@juke: Avengers Disassembled was one of the books that got me back into the comic shop after a decade long absence.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cap10nate

@juke: @minisaladfresh: Busiek's run on Avengers had some great events like Ultron Unlimited and Kang Dynasty. He also wrote a 12 issue miniseries called Avengers Forever which is one of my favorite Avengers stories. Red Zone from Geoff Johns short run is another great recent Marvel story.

You can also go back and read Under Siege by Roger Stern and Kree/Skrull War by Roy Thomas which are essential Avengers stories.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By magnetic_eye

Don't waste your money. Bland writing and nothing important happens. You would be bored to tears.

Just a few books you might want to chase up:

No Caption Provided

The Kree/Skrull War - The Avengers Vol. 1 #89-97

Celestial Madonna - The Avengers Vol. 1 #129-135

The Korvac Saga - The Avengers Vol. 1 #167-168, 170-177

Nights of Wundagore - The Avengers Vol. 1 #181-187

Under Siege - The Avengers Vol. 1 #270-277

Ultron Unlimited - The Avengers Vol. 3 #0, 19-23

The Kang Dynasty - The Avengers Vol. 3 #41-55

Red Zone - The Avengers Vol. 3 #65-70

Avengers Disassembled - The Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503 / also known as Vol. 3 #85-88

Avengers Forever #1-12

The Infinity Gauntlet #1-6

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Transformers1024

No, it's a waste of time and money. In fact, stay away from Bendis' work in general. It's total crap. Unless it's Ultimate Spider-Man - that series is one of my many personal favorite Marvel stories of all time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.