Serious Marvel Question

#1 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does it seem that everybody in the Marvel Universe doesn't care at all about the X-Men or mutants. It's like their in their own little world.

#2 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Firstly, when you say Marvel doesn't care about the X-men or the mutants, do you mean in the history of the MU as a whole, or just for the past few years?

#3 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Elemental says:

"Why does it seem that everybody in the Marvel Universe doesn't care at all about the X-Men or mutants. It's like their in their own little world. "

Because the X-Men have their own issues to work out. The issue on everybody else's mind is the Registration Act's passing. That's the issue. Nobody cares about the fact that they're dying.

#4 Posted by Owen_Porter (83295 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I dont fully understand the question.

#5 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Maelstrom says:
"Firstly, when you say Marvel doesn't care about the X-men or the mutants, do you mean in the history of the MU as a whole, or just for the past few years?"

I'm guessing he just means Marvel Earth over the past few years. At least since House of M."

Well, I'm asking for clarification purposes. :P

#6 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Firstly, when you say Marvel doesn't care about the X-men or the mutants, do you mean in the history of the MU as a whole, or just for the past few years?"

I'm guessing he just means Marvel Earth over the past few years. At least since House of M.

#7 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"Maelstrom says:
I'm guessing he just means Marvel Earth over the past few years. At least since House of M."
Well, I'm asking for clarification purposes. :P"

Ah, I can understand that.

#8 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean over the past couple years before House of M. I'm talking about Genoshan genocide and Six Month Gap time period. The Fantastic Four don't care at all and their son and possibly daughter are mutants. The only one who I can think of in the greater Marvel Universe is Jubilee who is part of the New Warriors as Wondra and Molly of the Runaways.

#9 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you mean most teams figure they handle there own problems.

Freakin' M-Day happened.

#10 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only is that harsh, that's also unfair how you're singling out the Fantastic Four like that. They've had their own problems to deal with for the past few years. Like Doom using Valeria as a magical familiar and kidnapping both her and Franklin, sticking him in Hell with demons. The team being viewed as traitors for liberating Latveria from Doom's ironclad rule. As well, as they're travels to Heaven to save one of their own. Not to mention the fact that the team had to deal with the government trying to take Frank and Val away, as well as the whole Civil War scenario.

#11 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just not fair how the X-Men are treated compared to the F4, the Avengers, Spider Man, etc.

That's all I wanted to say.

#12 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Elemental says:

"It's just not fair how the X-Men are treated compared to the F4, the Avengers, Spider Man, etc.That's all I wanted to say."

Unfortunately, that's the way the Marvel Civilians are. And I have to agree, it's NOT fair. Because the X-men have done a lot, but because they're mutants they're feared. Human nature is a weird thing even in comics.

#13 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Elemental says:
"It's just not fair how the X-Men are treated compared to the F4, the Avengers, Spider Man, etc. That's all I wanted to say."
Unfortunately, that's the way the Marvel Civilians are. And I have to agree, it's NOT fair. Because the X-men have done a lot, but because they're mutants they're feared. Human nature is a weird thing even in comics. "

It's weird, but it's realistic. That my favorite thing about Marvel. The realism. Anyway, I think used a bad example when comparing them to Spider-Man. Though Spider-Man is liked by very few people, he's still hated and his being liked by the people of the Marvel universe is almost barely better than the X-Men so he can still be considered to be treated as badly as the X-Men.

#14 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"I don't get why mutants are feared but not people who were affected by aliens or radiation aren't unless they're villains"

Double standard. Plain and simple.

#15 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why mutants are feared but not people who were affected by aliens or radiation aren't unless they're villains

#16 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"chameleone says:
"I don't get why mutants are feared but not people who were affected by aliens or radiation aren't unless they're villains"

Double standard. Plain and simple. "

yes ma'am. but I mean just because mutants are born that way? It makes me mad, but i guess i'm just a fierce pro mutant activist

#17 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"Maelstrom says:
"chameleone says:

yes ma'am. but I mean just because mutants are born that way? It makes me mad, but i guess i'm just a fierce pro mutant activist"

I think it deals with both ignorance and jealousy. At least other heroes, gain their powers through other means, so anyone has the possibility of gaining superpowers by accident or cosmic rays, or radioactivity, etc. As opposed to being born with those powers since it's up to genetics.

#18 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"Maelstrom says:
"chameleone says:
yes ma'am. but I mean just because mutants are born that way? It makes me mad, but i guess i'm just a fierce pro mutant activist"

People are afraid of mutants because there's no "scientific explanation" and people don't believe that mutation can do that to humans so they view them as monsters. Others like The Fantastic Four, ect aren't as feared because there is a scientific explanation for it.

#19 Posted by Vrakmul (23395 posts) - - Show Bio

They have their own problems. That is the cause of all indifference.

#20 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I've often wondered this myself. Here's my analysis:

In the marvel universe, most of the mutants are hated for being themselves. Because of this they formed terrorist groups and killed many humans and themselves. Granted, the X-men have done many a good things and are 'positive mutant role models,' but how many of their actions are heard about in the public? Not many, also many of them have shaded pasts, like Wolverine and Emma Frost. Some are just weird looking, Beast, Nightcrawler. Humans aren't going to be too upset that natural born superhumans are dying off, even the "good guys" like Iron Man or Mr. Fantastic.

X-men has primarily been the book in Marvel that deals with mutants. The mutant problems don't really effect many other people. How does X-men portray mutants, as hated and feared. A fair share of Marvel characters make cameos in X-men, but Marvel has pretty much shut off the mutant problems from spilling into other books.

#21 Posted by Blowout (217 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#22 Posted by Blowout (217 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-men/mutants have always been like the black-sheep of the marvel-superhero family. I think this is because of Professor Xavier and Magneto relationship. If you look at the Secret Wars, the X-men are outsiders among the other superheroes. They don't trust the X-men because they support their own kind a lot (like Magneto, Mystique, Sabertooth (sometimes) Juggernaut, Emma Frost, or Rouge). Similar to House of M when the X-men were reluctant to kill Scarlet Witch because she was a mutant and Magneto's daughter. The X-men are really forgiving and understanding to others because they understand hostile mutants fear and anger toward the world, which sometimes other Superheroes don't appreciate. thats what i think anyways...

I don't think the X-men are treated like this by all the superheroes though. Ms. Marvel worked with X-men for a little bit when she was Binary, so i think she is kinda close to them (even though Rogue stole her powers). And Black Panther married Storm, which brings them closer to the Avengers and Fantastic Four. And Wolverine is on the Avengers which also makes them closer to the other superheroes.

#23 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's the entire foundation of what the X-men are all about. They are hated and feared by the general populace, because they are viewed as freaks of nature, and they can pop up (come into their powers) anywhere without warning. This has the potential to put people around them in very serious danger in short order.

Also, unlike heroes like the Avengers and other heroes (up until recently) the X-Men operated outside the law almost 100% of the time. Every now and then they dealt with Val Cooper, but that was pretty much it. Mutant hysteria in the Marvel U is largely due to how the media treats them. The government perceived that mutants, because they are born with latent or active powers, would grow exponentially in numbers, unlike heroes who gain their powers through other means, making them a potentially huge threat.

This, combined with mutant terrorist cells, their refusal to register and mutants' often frightening physical characteristics, made mutants a public menace on a huge scale to the egenral populace. Hence the creation of the Sentinels. Huge government-sanctioned robots designed to keep you safe from mutants are bound to make you think that mutants are a viable threat, especially when it seemed they were destined to replace regular humans. I think there are a lot of parallels bewteen both the Civil Right movement, and the current attitude towards Muslims. Mutants are oppressed for being different, and treated as dangerous based on the actions of a handful of radicals (Magneto, Brotherhood, Apocalypse) whose actions are more public than the majority of their species (X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, X-cetera). Magneto also saw parallels between the pight of mutants and the historical oppression of the Jews, especially after the genocide of Genosha.

The number one reason why other heroes don't "care" about the X-Men is that they are largely autonomous. They can't help the X-Men and fight their own battles while maintaining continuity. They're having trouble synching up the X-Titles as is. They do collaborate now and then, and I think more and more heroes are realizing what the X-Men have been going through all these years. As to why humans didn't care about the genocide of millions of mutants, and then the subsequent depowering of 90% of the remaining mutants, is that they hate and fear hem. Hopefully the Messiah CompleX arc will help bring more (positive) attention to the plight of mutants, and put them in a better light.

Hope that wasn't too rambling, and helped to answer some questions.

#24 Edited by SeSAW (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
Not really all that much IMO, the Xmen started off as kids being trained to use there powers by Xavier. At first some of the threats they handled were big but a lot were considerably less than say FF who was fighting Doom and the Avengers who always fought cosmic threats. But they have grown with age and now a lot of the original X men from the first 3 teams are well respected around the Marvel Universe. Some characters such as Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Cyclops, Rouge, Jean, and even Emma are respected just as much as anbody and have been on several other teams. And the mutant hating is still there but it is much much less than in the X mens first 30 years. The reason that society hates mutants anyway is because they fear them, and mutants like Magneto, Sinester, and Apocalypse give them good reason too. The public always respected the Avengers and Fantastic Four more because they always worked closely with the government, while Xavier did not. And thats what the whole Civil War thing was about Iron man who doesnt have any powers unless he is in the suit. He was trying to suck up to the government by basically saying, ill control these superhumans for you people, it was really an atempt to look good cause he knows the average human is scared of the potential damage any superhuman can do.  
#25 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Thread Necromancy++

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.