Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Seeking guidance

Craven_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've always been a big fan of super heroes and used to watch a lot of DC and Marvels' cartoons when I was a kid, but never really bothered getting into the comics.

Anyway, I decided to start with Hawkeye, Thor, Daredevil, Ms. Marvel, Captin Marvel, Black Widow and maybe Avengers and Spider-man, as reviews indicate that they're currently Marvels' best.

Let's take Hawkeye for example. If Is tarted with vol 2, which contains 20 issues so far, will I be able to realize what's going on? or is the universe too much of a mess right now to understand what's going on? What about Daredevel 2014? or Captain Marvel 2014?

Finally, which other heroes would you recommend? Who has interesting stories and villains?

I'm totally new to this and feel kinda lost.

Craven_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone? the guys at DC forums were more helpful.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would not be lost with Hawkeye, it is very self-contained and seemingly in its own pocket universe. It hasn't ended...yet, it has been a VERY long wait for the final issue but the whole series will be a good read (over rated somewhat but good).

Moon Knight is brilliant. Elektra would be good, also only 11 issues but amazing. Stay clear of the current Captain Marvel but read the prior run (pre-space).

Thor, God of Thunder leads into the current run and is a continuance, very solid save for the Dark Elf story (IMO).

X-men in general you will want to steer clear of, too convoluted and from title to title there is no continuity. All New was good until Immonen left but steer clear of the solo books except maybe Magneto (#savetoiletpaperusestorminstead).

Angela would be a good choice based on the first 2 issues too. How everything turns out following Secret War is tbd though. Maybe try Marvel Unlimited for a month and try multiple comics to see how they feel to you.

Happy reading.

Craven_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daymareprime: Too bad.. I really like X-men. Thanks for the help, anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.