Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Scarlet Witch & Jean Grey

Avatar image for therealjeangrey
    TheRealJeanGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By TheRealJeanGrey

REVAMPED RANT

I have never been a Wanda fan, though I think she is a great character with a great story. That being said I don’t like the difference in which they (neither the writers nor the Avengers in story) handled Wanda and her Decimation and Jean as the Dark Phoenix.

It’s crazy how The Avengers (Whom besides Carol I really can’t stand) came to Wanda’s defense after she was found during “The Children’s Crusade”. When the X-men came demanding retribution for her crimes they literally stepped in between and told them that is was an Avengers issue to handle. Offering sentimental monologues about “what does taking her and imprisoning her accomplish?” Graciously the X-men left them to their own devices. Wanda is given the chance to “redeem” herself. Which she will never do.

Then cut to Hope and the second coming. The Avengers come to Utopia for forcibly abduct Hope because of the “possible” threat that she poses with no proof as she has never done anything to warrant that type of protocol. They justify their action by calling it precaution and safety measures. Taking a child from the only family she knows after losing her father and imprisoning her against her will is different and more righteous than what the X-men wanted to do for AN ACTUAL CRIME COMMITTED BY WANDA how?

The Dark Phoenix saga is supposed to be this cautionary tale about Jean and the Phoenix and must be destroyed at all costs. And even though she destroyed an entire Solar system… The dark phoenix, besides sparring matches against the X-men and Shi’ar, has never devastated the Earth. Yet she is so much more vilified than Wanda who decimated an entire race and non-mutants didn’t care at all.

treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By treysome

Jean seems to bring out the passion in people love or hate.  You want anger, excitement, joy and more important money esp when you are selling something.  Jean brings all of those (Endsong sold really well).  I'd like to believe it got her into several media forms despite being gone.  If you are a fan you need to focus on the love and support of the character.  Who cares what the others think just be respectful.  Slowly the tide will turn.  It's better than when no one cares at all.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GREGalicious

Its good that JEAN is either loved or hated. The fact that ppl feel so passionate about loving or hating her is what makes her a GREAT CHARACTER!!!

Anytime the PHOENIX is mentioned, you cant help but think of Jean.

I dont think she's boring (like Cyclops is to me), she's just like INVISIBLE WOMAN; an average and normal woman. Aside from some of her power issues, she really doesnt have any character quirks or flaws.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

Define these... people, that hate Jean and give Wanda a free pass? Not that I don't believe that happens. Just a lot of people use the internet as their test, and gauge and the internet is not a very good place to take the measure of what is known as "people" and I like, know, 20 people who hate one character because of the actions of one person, and places where Jean is extremely popular. So what I mean, is that you are somewhat vague with your assessment. Personally I like both Jean and Wanda and think far too many people and fans of each, spend far too much tearing down other characters instead of supporting them. The funny irony is that Jean and Wanda have a retconned friendship, thats actually pretty cool. So for me, it seems like... well all comic characters get a hard time lol 

TheRealJeanGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheRealJeanGrey
    @GREGalicious: I think so too
    TheRealJeanGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheRealJeanGrey
    @treysome said:

Jean seems to bring out the passion in people love or hate.  You want anger, excitement, joy and more important money esp when you are selling something.  Jean brings all of those (Endsong sold really well).  I'd like to believe it got her into several media forms despite being gone.  If you are a fan you need to focus on the love and support of the character.  Who cares what the others think just be respectful.  Slowly the tide will turn.  It's better than when no one cares at all.

I completely kno wut ur saying.... I just wanted to get out how I was feeling at the time..
    arcano_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arcano_19

yup   hater on time turn into lovers of jen!!!!!

crj25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crj25

Jean was what got me into comics in the first place, I was like 8 and saw the fox x-men series and then later the second x-men movie and i was amazed by her but then i started reading the comics and it seemed like they were just telling the same story about her over and over again, and it wasn't even truly about her, it was about the phoenix. I think jean needs to be severed from the phoenix force (justifiably of course, i say being depowered by M-Day) and sort of let to figure out who she is without it. I think a great sort of anecdotal storyline would be inside jean's head about dealing with going from being a space godess to normalcy. I don't think people give wanda a pass and hate on jean. Wanda just has kinda a freudian excuse for her actions, her powers make what she wants real but then she mistrusts reality as a figment of her imagination. I think people hate on how jean is written, she goes through a cycle of completely weak, to moderately powerful, to a powerhouse, to a giant flaming space bird (?), and then dead. Jean and the phoenix force need to wave goodbye to each other and jean needs to spread her (non-flaming) wings and prove that she is a powerful character in her own right. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.