Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

rumor rdj wants Mel Gibson in a Marvel Movie.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

this is where i say i hope disney pulls the family card and says no

i hate mel gibson and his spousel abusing racist arse

If there are two certainties in Hollywood, one is that nobody’s perfect and another is that people love comeback stories. After years of drugs, rehab stints and even a little jail time, Robert Downey Jr. became the biggest – and one of the most beloved – movie stars in the world. Arguably this should have happened years before, sometime shortly after the actor earned an Oscar nomination for Chaplin in the early ’90s.

The reason for Robert Downey Jr.’s comeback success? His talent speaks for itself and while his role in Shane Black’s Kiss Kiss Bang Bang certainly earned RDJ respect on his return tour, it was director Jon Favreau and the decision-makers at young Marvel Studios in 2007 that put the actor back on the map when casting him as Tony Stark in their first self-financed production, Iron Man. After a second Oscar nomination and starring in three of the top five grossing movies of all-time, Robert Downey Jr. wants to re-pay some of the debt for the support he received during his hard times.

A key to RDJ’s recovery was his support group, namely his wife Susan Downey, and his friends in Hollywood. Two of those friends, Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster, were present in 2011 when Robert Downey Jr. received the prestigious American Cinematheque Award, an honor presented annually to “an extraordinary artist currently making a significant contribution to the art of the Moving Picture.” Now, RDJ wants to return the favor and have Gibson and Foster join the Marvel Cinematic Universe with appearances in The Avengers: Age of Ultron or its untitled followup, the last two films on his extended contract.

The news broke on New Year’s day from Radar Online who claim to have a source revealing Robert Downey Jr.’s latest attempts to bring some of his best friends into the Marvel family much like he did in helping pick Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3 and getting a role in it for his pal Ashley Hamilton. Gibson halted his career when infamously arrested in 2006 for driving under the influence and following the act with that famous anti-Semitic rant – words that the source believes practically demolish any chance of Marvel’s high-ups giving any thought to having Mel Gibson show up in a Marvel Studios production.

iron man 3 trailer132 570x242 Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jodie Foster is an easier sell and popped up in one of this summer’s biggest sci-fi productions with a key role in Elysium. As for Gibson, he had big part in 2013′s Machete Kills when director Robert Rodriguez cast him, and Sylvester Stallone is similarly giving the actor (and Oscar-winning director) an opportunity with a role in The Expendables 3 – one of Screen Rant’s most anticipated movies in 2014. With rival studios Twentieth Century Fox and Sony Pictures making major franchise announcements in recent weeks, Marvel Studios’ otherwise high profile casting confirmations of Vin Diesel, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson partly got lost in the shuffle, especially with Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment dominating headlines as of late with rumors of Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson all potentially having roles in Batman vs. Superman.

Perhaps to compete in the war for marketing buzz with names and talent listed above, bringing in veteran talents including Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson could be legitimately appealing for Marvel Studios, who aren’t shy in giving talent with troubled pasts a chance, like Robert Downey Jr. and Mickey Rourke. What roles could they possible play in The Avengers 2 or 3 if that’s what RDJ is gunning for? According to Radar Online’s source, Downey Jr. tried to land Mel Gibson a role as the President in Iron Man 3 but Marvel wasn’t interested. Maybe they didn’t see Air America (a film starring RDJ and Gibson)?

Two things we can say for sure are that Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson are close friends with Robert Downey Jr. and that RDJ fights for his people – something several reports had him doing during contract negotiations for stars of The Avengers who apparently rallied behind him as a leader of sorts. Here’s what RDJ said to a cheering crowd about Mel Gibson – the surprise guest he chose to present the award – when the pair were on stage in 2011 for his acceptance of The American Cinematheque Award:

“Unless you are without sin – and if you are, you are in the wrong fucking industry, you should forgive him and let him work.”

And he later continued:

“This is my ’ time. Mel and I have the same lawyer, same publicist and same shrink. I couldn’t get hired and he cast me. He said if I accepted responsibility – he called it hugging the cactus – long enough, my life would take meaning. And if he helped me, I would help the next guy. But it was not reasonable to assume the next guy would be him.”

What do you think? Should Marvel Studios consider Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster for roles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and if so, what characters could/should they play?

http://screenrant.com/robert-downey-jr-mel-gibson-avenger-2-3-cast/

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I can see him as Osborn.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TazzMission

i cant stand mel gibson after that whole thing with his now ex wife. dude threatened to burn her alive and it was recorded during the phone conversation they had.

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
    deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Troubled or not I can't see any role fitting for Gibson in all honesty. As for Foster I think she could pull off a SHIELD based character (dare I say maybe a new one written for her)

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phisigmatau

I can see him as Osborn.

no peter, no osborn

whats up with u people

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would fit right in playing Von Strucker or any member of Hydra

You know, because he hates the Jews.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@thecheesestabber said:

@phisigmatau said:

@thecheesestabber said:

I can see him as Osborn.

no peter, no osborn

whats up with u people

Hunh?

There is no Spider-Man stuff in the MCU.

I know, when the eventual Spider reboot occurs I would like to see Gibson as Norman

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Osbourne tower nearly made it into Avengers, I can see Sony and Marvel getting on a lot better then Marvel and Fox, so it would not surprise me to see cameos in future Disney or Somy films...

As for Mel... Yeah if a role fits, his an actor, let him act, I think he is nuts personally, but I still like his films, Jodie Foster is an amazing actress, she would make a really good painkiller Jane maybe, she suits best dark adult charecters, I can't see her in spandex...

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Keep him out of the MCU.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jodie Foster could play a high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent/world security council member... As for Mel, I don't know.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus said:

Jodie Foster could play a high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent/world security council member... As for Mel, I don't know.

mel could just be an extra corpse

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lykopis

"...hugging the cactus."

Interesting metaphor, one which makes even more sense when encouraging someone in taking responsibility. While I in no way condone what Mr. Gibson has done in his private life, I do find it interesting how much anger is still out there for him.

I commend Mr. Downey for his intent on "carrying it forward" (or rather, backward in this instance), I am not sure the time has come for the world at large to welcome Mel Gibson back on the big screen. Also, the assumption he wants to come back is there. People should be aware he is one of the most powerful and richest people in Hollywood. His production company, etc has and is making him a lot of money so I am sure this push to get him working again as an actor isn't economically motivated. At least not primarily.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No way Disney is gonna let this deal happen and i dont want him anywhere near Marvel or even DC for that matter

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite Gibson's personal life, I actually like the guy's work and would like see him take the role in a superhero movie, especially as a bad guy.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I'm not going to pretend that just because Mel Gibson said some nasty stuff that he's not a great actor.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Gibson is good at his job, if we're gonna start hating things just because the guy that did them is or was an asshole then pretty much all art, music, literature and film are going to be a problem. For instance Walt Disney was famous for his antisemitism that doesn't make Mickey Mouse any less of a pop culture icon.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thank you!

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gibson is good at his job, if we're gonna start hating things just because the guy that did them is or was an asshole then pretty much all art, music, literature and film are going to be a problem. For instance Walt Disney was famous for his antisemitism that doesn't make Mickey Mouse any less of a pop culture icon.

no im sorry but any guy who threatens to burn his wife alive i cant support. and if you think him being a good actor excuses that your no better than he is since you back him

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THey sHould play as Hank and Janet Pym. On Avengers 3.

ABstract4$$#073-

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: I never said it excuses that it just doesn't instantly mean he's bad at his job. There are probably serial killers that are great at their job, but just saying the dude is a good fry cook wouldn't mean I was excusing him being a murderer.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Mel Gibson is a horrible human being. He doesn't deserve work

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: I never said it excuses that it just doesn't instantly mean he's bad at his job. There are probably serial killers that are great at their job, but just saying the dude is a good fry cook wouldn't mean I was excusing him being a murderer.

excuse my french but thats bullshit. if tom cruise who is nuttier than a loon with his jumping up and down on a couch on orpha and saying medication for people with mental illnesses is bad and get dropped from paramount why shouldnt mel gibson be dropped? you have to think like a buisness because would you hire someone after recordings of him saying wile drunk ill burn you alive in the house plus forcing sexual things? after that guess what nobody would want someone like that and if they do hey im sorry but there idiots and they deserve every ounce of critizim from it because thats extreme and shows they prefer profit over .saying hey threating to set someone on fire is bad dont do that.

and people wonder why i hate how hollywood is all a bunch of greedy a-holes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: At no point did I defend his actions, I just pointed out the very true fact that just because someone is a terrible person doesn't mean they are bad at their job. I never suggested he be forgiven or hired on to a movie. I was just pointing out that many people in artistic fields were actually pretty terrible people that still managed to do some good work.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Redskull is already taken.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TazzMission

@joshmightbe said:

@tazzmission: At no point did I defend his actions, I just pointed out the very true fact that just because someone is a terrible person doesn't mean they are bad at their job. I never suggested he be forgiven or hired on to a movie. I was just pointing out that many people in artistic fields were actually pretty terrible people that still managed to do some good work.

saying he should still be employed is defending his actions dude. i mean whats next do you just say oh forget it if an actor commited a rape or worse based on because you feel they may do a good deed? is the person to big for something that extreme where they shouldnt be held accountable? call me cold whatever but i i hate people with a passion who beat threaten there wives, girlfriends ,boyfriends or husbands.

or look at amy fischer. chick killed her first husband back in the 90's so are you going to say just because she served her time she shouldnt be looked at as a killer? her new husband was on the howard stern show promoting her sex video wich i would never watch cause the woman is nuts.

people can try a bury there past all they want but it will always be remembered by those who remember it

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

He would fit right in playing Von Strucker or any member of Hydra

You know, because he hates the Jews.

I was about to make a "Red Skull already was cast" joke...but you beat me to it.

Commander_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a drunk racist washup. Disney would have to be idiots to let that happen.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@commander_kane: I'm afraid I have to agree. I would just feel kinda sick watching him .

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkbeam

Don't care lol.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: So what the dude never gets to work again because he said some stupid crap when he was drunk? Its not like the guy did any actual violence, I didn't hear any complaints when Michael Vick got to go back to Football or when Chris Brown kept his record contract and those dudes actually did horrible stuff instead of talking about it. Vince Neal f**king murdered someone and nobody said a word about it when the next Motley Crue album came out. Why does Gibson have to pay for his bad behavior forever when those assholes got to move on with their lives?

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone has demons we've had to conquer , starting a thread to let your feelings known on a person is fine just dont kid yourself ,Mel is a fantastic actor and if he can keep personal issues aside from his working I dont see why he cant get a part in the MCU

We all have issues and things were not proud of the only difference is his issues were shown to the world. How about we spill the beans on some of the terrible things we've all said and done? anyone care to go first?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: 50Cent sold crack and talks like he's proud of it and he doesn't get s**t about it, Mathew Broderick commited vehicular Manslaughter and he kept his career, the guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland was a pedophile, so please tell me why all these s**ty people kerping they're careers was okay while Gibson has to pay forever?

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TazzMission

@joshmightbe said:

@tazzmission: 50Cent sold crack and talks like he's proud of it and he doesn't get s**t about it, Mathew Broderick commited vehicular Manslaughter and he kept his career, the guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland was a pedophile, so please tell me why all these s**ty people kerping they're careers was okay while Gibson has to pay forever?

broderick was in a accident he didnt chose to kill also what movie has broderick been in in the last 15 years as a leading role?. secondly the guy who wrote alice in wonderland should be put to death because pedophiles dont deserve to live imo. lol 50 cent? dont even get me started on him.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No thanks. I would find that distracting.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: My over all point was that you can't judge work by the behavior of the guy doing it. You don't have to support the guy and I'm not even saying he should be hired, I'm just saying that there are plenty of people who are just as bad or worse than Gibson and expecting him to just disappear while all these other people get constant fresh starts is a bit unfair. And for the sake of fairness lots of people say things when drunk that they'd never follow through with, not saying its an excuse it just is how it is. I know people that are some of the nicest most polite people ever until you get some liquor in them. Again this is not in any way support what the man said or did.

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By skypilotbinky

He'd make a good General Ross. Better than William Hurt who I doubt will ever reprise the role.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.