Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Recommendations for an old newcomer

Ciriaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ciriaco

TL;DR

Looking for recommendations. Likes WWH and cosmic stories (infinity saga, secret wars, Thanos FTW).

Wall of text

I've recently took up reading comics again years after reading spider-man as a kid. One big difference nowadays is that it's MUCH easier to read story arcs since it, thanks to Internet, is easier to gather necessary issues. Not to mention earning my own money instead of begging mum and dad :).

So now I'm looking for recommendations of story arcs (or must read single issues as well) I should look into. The following are some arcs that I've truly enjoyed a lot (and yes, apparently I have a thing for cosmic stories):

Secret Wars 2: SW1 was the first real story arc I read as a child and I found it awesome. So SW2 was the first I picked up now and even though it lacked 'punch' action wise the psychology and character development was great! As well as leading me into the cosmic events with Celestials and what-have-you-nots.

Planet Hulk and World War Hulk: Wow! Intense, gritty, emotional! The best comic story I've read to date (especially Planet Hulk)!

Infinity sagas (Thanos Quest, Gauntlet, War, Crusade, Abyss and The End): Just finished this one and I loved it, especially the Quest, Gauntlet and The End. From not having any 'relation' to Thanos he is now one of my favorites! Excellent character development and interesting twists throughout!

So any suggestions as to what I probably would enjoy next?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

I'm currently reading from Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Force and Daredevil. I was also reading Punisher before it ended. I recommend all of those.

From Marvel, I would also recommend Spider-Men, which was a crossover miniseries were 616 Spidey met Ultimate Spidey (Miles Morales). Fantastic read.

Oh, and DnA's cosmic Marvel work such as Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy. Loved those as well.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chaos Prime

Just Marvel?

Ciriaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ciriaco

@SmashBrawler:

Thanks! Spider-Men sounds like something fun and I've heard about the Guardians of the Galaxy before so I'll def look into that.

@Chaos Prime:

Yes, at least for the moment. I only read Marvel as a kid so I'm more at home in that universe.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Superguy0009e

The Ultimates 1 and 2 (and Ultimate Comics The Ultimates)

Ultimate Spiderman (and Ultimate Comics Spiderman)

Amazing Spiderman: Big Time

Iron Man: Extremis

She Hulk (Dan Slott Run)

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chaos Prime

then probably War of Kings might be just up your street :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Dogs of War is another great Hulk story arc. Its all about his different personalities.

Civil War is a good one. It doesn't involve much cosmic stuff but it is awesome.

Spider Island was a good Spider-Man story arc.

Ciriaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ciriaco

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated! And I've always had some fascination with Iron Man but not really looked into his own stories. If I want more from Thanos, have I already found the best stories or are there any more hidden gems to find?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.