Pour Out The Cup: An Open Letter to Marvel

Posted by Wolfgangg (13 posts) - - Show Bio

To whom it may concern,

This is definitely a difficult letter for me to write. Ever since I can remember, I have been a huge fan of Marvel comics. Growing up it seemed that the M universe was everything I wanted comics to be. Beautiful women, powerful men, and crazy story lines that could only happen in comic books. Wide eyed with wonder I would buy up everything I could [mostly those pesky X titles], completely infatuated with what seemed to be obvious metaphors for real life. I can recall [and I think anyone who was growing up reading Marvel feels the same way] wishing that my mutant powers would manifest themselves as I hit puberty. I was definitely a Marvel child.
Then I started to grow up. I graduated High School, and started moving my life forward trying to figure out what I wanted to do with myself. Most of my petty childhood dreams and ambitions had been thrown out the window, and with that, I just stopped reading comic books [for the most part]. I graduated college, got my life together, moved out of my parents house, and finally felt like an adult [the most someone of my n3rdom could anyways]. This was the time to start getting back into comic books [now that I actually had some free time and moolah].
This was right around the time that the Civil War was happening. Someone had suggested it as a good starting point to get back into the MU. After reading the first issue, I immediately gobbled up every issue [including variants] I could, loving every panel and digesting the story as I would a fine cut of Kobe Beef. Without doing an actual review of CW, I must say that the tie ins between this story and what America was going through in it's post 9/11 era were remarkable. A multiversal mirror saying things about events taking place in our own realm in ways that I could not. 
And then we get to the end of the story line. "Stand down. That's an order." [And no I did not need to look that quote up]. I fxcking cried, and I'm not ashamed to admit it [you should all know why]. Captain America has always been a personal hero of mine, and this only solidified the pedestal I put him on. And then the event that shocked the Marvel Universe [and my universe as well]. The death of Captain America. The end of the War was but a light sprinkle compared to the emotions I was feeling in issue #25. Brubaker did everything perfectly. It was written so well to get across the point and martyrdom of his death. It made sense. It was, to me, the only way Captain America should die. Saving the freedom of the American people by giving his life. Tony Stark was all of a sudden on my top ten most wanted list [seeing the movie was very difficult for me, but I loved it anyways]. No, top one most wanted list. I hated him more than Mojo [still do, but I get the feeling that he will be the hero of the now running, me not reading, Dark Reign, which may or may not change my opinion of the low life].
So where does the MU go from here? Alien Invasion. I mean, what can bring a divided people together better than the threat of an alien hostile take over. Taken place after the Avengers Initiative [which I thought was a really solid idea, but done fairly poorly], we all know what happens. Those pesky cows start to realize their past and decide that their "G-d" wants them to cleanse the universe [I know there is much more to it than that, what with the whole "Illuminati" and everything, but the cow thing is just so freaking ridiculously awesome].
Let me start off by saying Leinil Francis Yu's art is spectacular. I think that is probably the only thing that really kept me going on Secret Invasion. I had never really been a big fan of Brian Michael Bendis' work [or even read that much of it to be honest with you], so the artwork definitely had to keep me going. There were some spectacular pages in this series. The double spread of the last battle with the Watcher in the background? AMAZING. But I knew the story was lacking. And it really wasn't until the last issue that I fully understood how much I hated BMB. Brian, please answer me this one question: HOW THE EFF DO YOU GO ABOUT KILLING A FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE AVENGERS IN JUST ONE SINGLE PANEL WITH THE CRAPPIEST EXPLANATION I HAVE EVER READ?! I was appaled. Completely and udderly appaled. BMB was too concerned with seeding things twenty years earlier than he was concerned with explaining his horrific deeds. I will give you this though, having Norman Osborne take the kill shot to start the whole Dark Reign thing was a good move.
So what does Marvel do? They hand over the controls of the entire Marvel Universe to the b@stard that killed Janet. Then something happens that I didn't think could ever happen. BMB's head gets even bigger, and he decides to take a shit on the entire universe. I am not going to go into specifics [mostly because I don't read enough of the shit you are coming out with right now to even know where to begin, and also because it goes in one eye and out the other], but let me tell you there is definitely something faulty going on. Things are getting just a little too campy for me, and telling Marvel that they are getting campy is like telling Carrot Top he's getting less funny. It's just something you didn't think was possible.
Secret Invasion also set me up for something else I was looking forward to and completely disappointed in. The War of Kings. Blackbolt has always been a favorite of mine, along with Havok and some of the other Starjammers, but this tale was just a major let down. I couldn't even get through the first issue. Enough of this.
Now let's get a little bit into Millar's run of the Fantastic Four. This storyline started off really strong, and ended really weak [I mean, REALLY WEAK]. Marvel seemed to be asking too much of this prolific writer, and his stories suffered for it [with the exception of Old Man Logan, the best comic run in Marvel SINCE the Civil War]. It also seemed Brian Hitch was pressured into his shitty drawing because of the lack of time he had. Brian Hitch is one of my favorite artists, and the last two issues of the FF run were just terrible. I didn't even buy them to complete the series [not to mention the terribly timed Christmas issue].
Let's complete the circle and get back to Captain America. We all know what happens when a great hero dies in comic books. Do I even have to say it? They get resurrected [I guess I did]. And I think we all knew this was going to happen, but I remember reading an interview with Brubaker about the subject. Without being able to quote him at all, he basically said that Marvel had no intention of bringing the Captain back to life. There was no secret story in some basement about his resurrection. This made me a happy camper, because it did not lessen Cap's death or make it some sort of side show spectacle. It made it the real deal, and made what he was fighting for real, and made me even prouder to be his number one fan. AND THEN THE BIGGEST PILE OF GARBAGE I HAVE EVER NOT READ CAME OUT. Captain America Reborn #1. I bought it. Didn't even read it. My curiosity got the best of me and then I came across the spoilers for the arc. Time traveling multi universal Captain America's? WTF is that? Poor planning and MU's EIC being an @sshole [please refer to BND for his @ssholishness]. This was the straw that broke the camels proverbial back. I have had enough.
So without crapping on the MU too much more, where does this leave us? Some things I still like about Marvel. Deadpool. Their movies. Old Man Logan. Immortal Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons. Deadpool.  Bucky as Cap. Skarr. Marvel Zombies [although that's getting a little out of control as well]. The fact that Bruce Banner may very well not be able to turn into the Hulk anymore. Spider-Man [with the exception of that whole Brand New Day garbage]. Venom Scorpion. Thunderbolts pre H.A.M.M.E.R. The Sentry pre H.A.M.M.E.R. [and maybe even post]. Did I say Deadpool already?
I feel like I can only compare my transition to that of political parties. You should be a Marvel fan when you are younger, and a DC fan as you mature and get older. I will get into my love of the DCU in another post, but for right now let's just say that I feel they are doing things absolutely right, and Marvel could take a lesson. Solid storylines, character progression without fail [with some exceptions], and events that stick within continuity of every book. Hal Jordan has slowly taken over the mantle of my heart that Captain America once held. Batman [who has always been a part of my life] is finally seen in my eyes as the true hero he is [or was for that matter, and will again be]. They say that a hero is only as good as his rogue gallery. Marvel's villain seem to be joke cracking, whining little babies, while DCU villains seem to be genuinely hateful and revenge bound. It just feels more real to me. Almost as if the DCU heroes have more to lose, and care about what they have more than anything else.
Personally I think the cup needs to be poured out and Marvel needs a revamp. Or maybe I am just growing up and find the sillyness of the MU to bare a complete lack of anything worthwhile at this stage in my life [with the exception of Deadpool]. Don't get me wrong, I really hope that one day I can return to my roots and restore my faith in the Marvel U again, but I really don't think it will be anytime soon. As of right now, DC holds the title of dearest in my heart.
Thanks for reading. Now get off your ass and go read a book.

-Wolfgangg

#1 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

haha its always nice to vent right?

i'm not the world's biggest marvel fan but i follow what happens and i bought the big crossover books. but i have to say that Secret Invasion was incredibly weak! I think it had alot of potential that it didnt deliver. i didnt even understand that Wasp had died when i read it, and i found out online. i did come to appreciate the art but i think yu is overrated.

Deadpool. first of all i will say that i dont read him. but i think he's being SO overused its getting to be as bad as wolverine (who i Hate!). I cant believe they're already bringing Steve Rogers back. Bucky really ran with this Captain America buisness and i think he's doing a good job. nothing can stay legitamate in the Marvel U without it being retconned out a few years later. Spider-Man's public identity=gone. No more mutants= gone. Captain America being dead=Gone. i'm still waiting for Spider-man to remarry MJ and then Wasp has to come back duh. 

And i'm not going to start on Necrosha. i feel that if they had done it at a different time, then maybe. but really? Blackest Night: X-men? really?

#2 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving current Marvel.   =/
#3 Posted by Wolfgangg (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Wilson: Well I'm glad Wade. I don't expect anyone to jump on any kind of bandwagon I may or may not be driving, I am simply imposing my thoughts and opinions about my once beloved publisher.
#4 Posted by Wolfgangg (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14:  I'll have to agree with you about Deadpool. He IS being overused, but I have absolutely loved that character since the beginning. His dynamic is so awesome. Unfortunately Marvel has a tendency of completely running things into the ground, and beating dead horses. =/
#5 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry man, but really all youve done is point out obvious facts, and act as if that was a crime. your nitpicking to a larger extant then a person should about a thing like comics, which arent meant to be perfect, they only require ones imagination to read. much like ive seen many people ramble on about in the Transformers 2 movie, " Oh my god! And then, there where all these scens showing jets! "
Yeah...and? second, whats done is done, get over it, thats a tall order for a retcon, which is the only thing that would help that, if ive ever seen one.

Deadpool is being promoted to influence the big boys to keep the movie project steadfast, nuff said.

#6 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

...to add to it, your visably not serious...because this isnt a letter to Marvel. its not even posted on Marvels site nor written to them.
Its written to the people on comicvine, but adressing them as if they were Marvel Comics.

#7 Posted by Wolfgangg (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: I have a passion for comic books. Sue me. As far as my nitpicking, I feel that nitpicking something that you believe is a nitpick of something that didn't need to be nitpicked in the first place, is a waste of energy. You don't like it? Then don't read it. Much as I don't like what Marvel is doing, so I don't read it. It's that simple. You could learn something. But obviously I made some sort of influence on your opinions, because not only did you actually read the whole letter [and it's comments], you decided to comment on it yourself.
You want to disagree with me, that's absolutely fine. I'm all for it. You could at least do it in some intelligent manner [and thought out grammar] and not just by telling me that my passion and dedication to something I love is child's play and unnecessary.

And about Deadpool, DER! No one was questioning why they were flooding the market with the Merc. We were simply sharing our dissaproval of it.

Visibly not serious? This is a COMIC BOOK FORUM. Therefore this website is EXACTLY where things like this belong. I really like this site and decided to share my thoughts and opinions with other people who are as dedicated to the craft as I am. You obviously have no idea as to what an open letter is all about. I already told Marvel my opinions by my actions, by not buying their books anymore.
#8 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wolfgangg: Sure that's great, Marvel doesn't care if you don't buy their comics because they have thousands if not millions of people lined up to get them. To go along with the not purchasing you should submit a real letter to them to explain your frustrations about story arcs and character development.

FYI, if you do I would cut down on the swearing because they'll just stop reading it. Be constructive, but be firm, also I would hand write it over typing it. Hand written things tend to get read more because it shows the person actually cares more about the subject matter.
#9 Posted by Wolfgangg (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`:  If I actually were to submit a formal letter to Marvel, it would have all those suggestions you gave. I do appreciate the tip however.

Honestly this was more of just a rant I decided to go on one day, trying to keep my writing chops up. At this state I do not feel the need to submit a formal letter to the Co, but that may very well change soon. I am waiting for the Dark Reign event to end before I make any kind of decision about the matter.
#10 Posted by EscoBlades (75 posts) - - Show Bio

At the moment:
DC > Marvel.

#11 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE: As far as my nitpicking, I feel that nitpicking something that you believe is a nitpick of something that didn't need to be nitpicked in the first place, is a waste of energy. ---- I already told Marvel my opinions by my actions, by not buying their books anymore. "
you wasted your energy since you already dont buy them. and your still bitching at CV as i said earlier and stand by.
i dont even believe it has anything to do with Marvel, your just venting. very uncooth.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE: You don't like it? Then don't read it. Much as I don't like what Marvel is doing, so I don't read it.
this entirely contradicts everything youve done here. you dont want opinions shared about something someone doesnt like (only if wriitten by yourself ) and believe the person should ignore it, yet youve ignored the writing you dont like (marvel comics ) and chose to rant here. 

@Wolfgangg said:
You could learn something. But obviously I made some sort of influence on your opinions, because not only did you actually read the whole letter [and it's comments], you decided to comment on it yourself. You want to disagree with me, that's absolutely fine. I'm all for it.
i dont believe in your inflated ego, but you can if it pleases you.lol.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE:  You could at least do it in some intelligent manner [and thought out grammar] and not just by telling me that my passion and dedication to something I love is child's play and unnecessary.
?
@CATMANEXE said:
" sorry man, but really all youve done is point out obvious facts, and act as if that was a crime. your nitpicking to a larger extant then a person should about a thing like comics, which arent meant to be perfect, they only require ones imagination to read. much like ive seen many people ramble on about in the Transformers 2 movie, " Oh my god! And then, there where all these scens showing jets! " Yeah...and? second, whats done is done, get over it, thats a tall order for a retcon, which is the only thing that would help that, if ive ever seen one.  Deadpool is being promoted to influence the big boys to keep the movie project steadfast, nuff said. "
i dont see any of the words your claiming i said present here. note what i put in bold again as well. youve indicated nothing problematic with the books, just things that are just there, that youve deemed one. and of course its not intelligent, its something someone other than yourself wrote. see: overinflated ego ( i mean really! you dont talk to people in real life like this, i guarentee it. )

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE: And about Deadpool, DER! No one was questioning why they were flooding the market with the Merc. We were simply sharing our dissaproval of it. 
@Mbecks14 said:

Deadpool. first of all i will say that i dont read him. but i think he's being SO overused its getting to be as bad as wolverine (who i Hate!).

"
never said you were. i was probably hoping to shred some light on the why (every comic company showboats there character, BTW, so another pointing out the obvious and something that has just been since the beginning of comics and saying its somehow a problem) there aslo wasnt a " no body " htere were only two posts at this time. who else are you reffering too in this "group" ?

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE:  Visibly not serious?
yes. because as stated you didnt write it to marvel as its intended. its just an attempt to vent and take out your frustrations on others. dont act surprised when you post something of this nature and you get a differance of iopinion, since its kind of obvious thats what you were trying for, no?.....@Wolfgangg said:
" @Nova`Prime`:  Honestly this was more of just a rant I decided to go on one day,
like i said...
 @Wolfgangg said:
" @Nova`Prime`:   Honestly this was more of just a rant I decided to go on one day, trying to keep my writing chops up.
oh...so this is just practice for writing, tearing into people obsessesively? 

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE: This is a COMIC BOOK FORUM. Therefore this website is EXACTLY where things like this belong.
....? comic book forum = your personal complaint/bash department. got it now.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE:  I really like this site and decided to share my thoughts and opinions with other people who are as dedicated to the craft as I am.
oh yes, i noticed that was your intention. very noble of you.  off-topic, are you running for office, just curious because you stopped to kiss a baby right here.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE: You obviously have no idea as to what an open letter is all about.
its where many individuals participate in a letter together they are writing to an entity, usually as a matter of complaint. this is not written to Marvel, and is actually your personal rant, one of an easy hundred ive seen in a month now exactly like it...
others ive seen actually ask the question to others however, because the person identifies that one individual is never the sole owner of perception, and looks for other rays of light to affirm, or deny what theyre thinking.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @CATMANEXE:  I already told Marvel my opinions by my actions, by not buying their books anymore. "
actually you didnt. they didnt notice.

@Wolfgangg said:
" @Nova`Prime`:  If I actually were to submit a formal letter to Marvel, it would have all those suggestions you gave. I do appreciate the tip however. At this state I do not feel the need to submit a formal letter to the Co, but that may very well change soon. I am waiting for the Dark Reign event to end before I make any kind of decision about the matter. "
as i was saying, this is what you should do in the first place. if you have issues personally this is the only way they will see them. your other resolutions are moot. personally i still stand that your "issues" are not real, rather nitpicks on common things, like saying that your upset because a super hero wears a cape. i think Marvel would feel the same as well if they read such a letter from you. as well, as i tried helping with the Deadpool issue, there are entire other sides for all of the "issues" you declared, well known in fact, and reasons whats being done is. most people have heard them, in the many, many times theyve been itterated. tey conversation, not having someone elses view, but at least taking it into consideration. because the only thing you need to worry about here is yopur own feelings on the subject, which appear to be in a state of frustration and rage. only you can cure that, not a company doing what you specificall want, nor anything in this world doing it. and as the Skrulls said " Embrace Change ". if the fact that the comic isnt the exact same comic you read ten years ago, then switch to re-reading the old issues so you can enjoy them as you preffer to. 
comic talent has to juggle alot of things. alot of differant wants and expectations. and things far outside of that, like selling the books and keeping the ship sailing, in this current economy, like it or not. 

but, your problem is already solved. you decided not to read the books. so now you have nothing to complain about, especially since your not paying money for the product anymore.

toodles!
#12 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio
EscoBlades said:
"At the moment: DC > Marvel. "

agreed.
#13 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

At the moment: Marvel doesn't care if you don't EFFING LIKE THEM~!!! OMG~!!!, they care if you do or do not buy their books. Simple as that. Exactly how many e-mails from disgruntled fans like yourself do you think Joe Quesada hits the "Delete" button on every single day? I bet he has a filter that send messages with the words "EFFING" right into the Junk Mail, actually. 

This rant is nothing new. Opinions are one thing, but to go-off on such tirades pointed directly at someone or something in particular, but posting them for everyone to see, does nothing but single yourself out as a raving lunatic that has WAAAAAAY too much free time on their hands. Just stop buying the books you hate so much, and try something new. You might be surprised, and then suddenly you have brand-new favorites to love. 

Remember, Anger is the way to the Dark Side, kiddies. Try the positivity route...works wonders.

#14 Posted by M0N5T3R (27 posts) - - Show Bio

im sorta of the school(of thought) that considers the event storylines as short order revamps. its difficult to accept that a fullscale revamp would establish a completely polar reaction for you. and i dont want to tell you or marvel what to do and/or how to do it - but i collect so i can hit the reset button for myself. ive have alotta moments in my adulthood, as a comic nerd, that send me running for yesteryear editions. the 'way things were' are probably greater for having been so accommodating to how ..the way things should not be, now - sure. what should have happened though? not that either of us serve on any board that can put the plans into action.. but no one was betrayed here. and its not like Osborn is running the MU now, cause - ....S#!T

#15 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a great discussion

#16 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is, you almost HAVE to be open-minded as a comic book fan, or you'll just keep feeling burned. It sucks, but in every single case of my being a fan of a particular title or character, something happens to them that I don't agree with. When you're dealing with titles that have decades of continuity to keep in mind PLUS the addition of new fans to please, I'm sure a lot of writers have no choice when backed into these corners but to do their best and hope for likewise. 

You can't please everybody, but you can try to please some of them most of the time. 

So yes, while this might infuriate you, you as a fan have the following choices: Stick it out and hope what's bothering you either gets resolved or turns-out OK, or stop reading the book entirely. The positives coming from both sides are that A.) You remain loyal to your characters and therefore can come back later and go "Hey, I bought every single issue of The Spider Clone Saga because THAT'S how big a fan of Spider-Man I am". If you respect Nerd-Cred, that's a big plus. Or, you potentially pick-up a book you've never given a chance to before, because the one you're used to buying totally sucks right now, and hopefully end-up loving it. For every "Dark Reign" tie-in you might hate, there's a BILLION different comics out there, from all ends of the spectrum, BEGGING  you to read them.

Please, just keep an open mind with comics. Closing yourself in a box with the same five books just means you're missing-out on a greater universe. Be mad, speak your mind and your opinions, but don't let it stop there. The "Marvel sucks, DC blows" argument, and vice-versa, is an old and dated dinosaur that needs to be extinct, too. Both companies offer far too many different kinds of comics to be closed-off completely by any real fan of the industry; give something new a shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.