Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Off My Mind: Printed & Digital Comics Released On The Same Day?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Here we go again, another debate of Digital Comics Vs. Printed Comics. As we've been seeing more and more comics converted and made available digitally, it hasn't really seemed like too much of an issue. If you wanted to read "new" comics, you would have to visit your local comic shop and pick up a printed copy. Nothing really had changed...until now.

A couple weeks ago, IDW announced their plans to push their comics in the digital market. They have not abandoned the printed format but are now making their comics available digitally one month after being printed. One month isn't too long to wait consider some people wait for trades to be released. 

Marvel's digital releases were more random and sometimes with a six month wait to go digital. At least that used to be the case.
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    Last Friday you might have seen the news that Invincible Iron Man Annual #1 would be available digitally on the same day it's released in printed form (June 30). Is this a good or bad move for the industry and for comic shops?

For consumers, options are great. If comics are released in both formats on the same day, consumers can choose which they prefer. Just like you can with music or movies. In those cases, you're usually paying the same price or sometimes paying less for the digital version. That doesn't seem to be the case with Iron Man. The 80 page comic will cost $4.99 but the digital price wasn't in the press release. The digital version will be available in three "chapters." Normally Marvel charges $1.99 for a 22-page comic. 

It appears the digital version could cost more than the printed version. If this is the case, it may be a relief for comic shop owners. Unlike the big chain stores selling movies and music, they (usually) have the option of returning inventory that is not selling. Comic shops can't do that. Let's say a comic shop orders 50 copies of the Iron Man Annual but half of their usual customers decide to get it digitally. The store is now stuck with those extra copies. Comic shop owners might have to be more conservative when it comes to placing orders and might just order the amount closer to the number of customers with pull lists. Having a bunch of "inventory" sitting on store shelves is not in the store's best interest. This would be bad for the new casual reader that walks into the store looking for a new comic. This would also be bad for the store because they could be losing potential new customers. Store owners will really have to take a gamble when deciding on their orders.

Most long term comic readers are traditionalists. We've been reading with a physical comic in our hands for years. Despite this, you can't argue over the convenience of the digital format. Whenever I go on a trip, I like to take a few comics and a couple trades with me. With the hassles of checking in luggage and possibility of being charged for carry-ons, having comics on a digital device might become an easier option. 

What is the answer? Will same day releases bring in more readers and help the industry and will it hurt the local comic 'direct market'? You could argue that those that would read them digitally might be readers that would never step into an actual comic shop or don't have the means to (if there aren't any "local" shops). Someone reading a comic digitally might also decide to hunt down back issues that aren't available in a digital form. Do you think digital comics should cost more or less than printed comics? We'll just have to wait and see if same day releases is a good or bad idea and if it will have any affect on the market.
    The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1  Edited By The Jeff

I'm ok with digital comics as long as they, keep printing them because that'd throw off my collection if they stopped and if they made it available for non-iDevices

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I think the comic publishers should be helping their comic stores, because they've put out their comics for decades. And it wouldn't fair to them. It's like ooooh, a new toy I'll leave that one alone now.
    They should just have the comic issue you buy come with a digital version. Most comic are edited on computer anyway, so why not have it on there and just upload it to the database of the comic company? It shouldn't be that hard.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By damswedon

From a person that hasn't bought a pc game at store for a long time now, all I can say good. I already buy my comics on-line because I don't want to make the trip to a comic store where some mid twenties store clerk does nothing but complain to me about the fact that the only Bat comic I buy is BatGirl. while at the same time complaining that Batman the Brave and the Bold is too kiddy and that Batman is a dark character and therefore should only ever be a dark character. (wow that went ranty) 

Digital comics might be a great idea, the way that comics have looked for the past 190ish years has been very similar, we look at pictures and read words, even with flash based web comics we are very passive in the reading. there could be ways that the reader is forced to be involved in the story even if it is something as simple as tapping on a door when a person walks through it.

RiceFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RiceFox

I really hope it's just a fad that will die. >_<

I'm probably just bitter.

Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nod-Nolan

hopefully digital comics can be used to expand the reader base and get more readers to a comic shop. 

I hope it doesn't syphon too many people away from the printed form.

spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spiderguylll

Slowly The Internet is taking over the world

RaydelFugeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaydelFugeo
    @NodNolan: 
    I agree man digital comics can get more people in to reading. I don't think digital comics are bad per-say, but they can redirect the fan away from shops potentially. I totally agree with man
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ForbushBug

First it's pushing trades at box box stores over monthly releases and now it's same day digital comics. Marvel keeps coming up with new and interesting ways to hose the people that were their bread and butter, especially during the time they were bankrupt.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i still prefer paper trades but if i cant make it to the store ofr the store cnat get a copy till much later iam fine with getting issues digitaly i think having then open to both markets is cool hasnt stopped me buying a few issues i have in solid copies just to have them portable.

jayshaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jayshaw

Neat!!!

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Chaos Burn

I have an Ipod Touch, and living in rural Britain, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a new issue, the closest place that sells comics is still selling Marvel Civil War issues, and what i do buy i get online.
    But the Marvel Comics app has really made a difference, i've been able to read series easier than ever, and i hope more comics become available...

The times, they are a changing

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

If you buy it then yeah, you should be able to get it the day it comes out in print.  Who really cares, is it a race to see who can get it first?  People down load music the day it comes out on C.D. 
    Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

Its a bad thing for your local comic shop

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Still not fussed with digital comics, I like the break from a screen while reading the printed ones.

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emptytomb

I don't see the difference with digital. With a real comic book you have something you can't delete accidentally and of value in the future. With digital anyone can have it. Don't you think people will easily file share and download comic books illegally with more digital comics available. I enjoy the walk to a store and physically buying a comic book. With art its always about have originals physically.

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Illuminarch

As e-reader technology improves and gets cheaper, especially with colored displays like Mirasol, digital comics will become the dominant medium. It would probably happen even if we just had to rely on back-lit LCD screen. It's not a matter of if, but when. The benefits of digital media over paper copy are huge: instantaneous delivery, portability, ease of backup and redundancy (take the Kindle for instance, where even if you lost all of your stuff, Amazon keeps a record of what you bought so it can be re-downloaded. Try backing up your paper comic collection.), and, probably most importantly, a lower price point. Publishers can try to sabotage themselves by charging as much, or more, for digital copies but the market simply won't bear it, and we will thankfully see the end of the $4, 22-page comic.  The medium will also allow a lot more artistic liberty - page transitions that are actually part of the story, editorial footnotes and appendices, searchable back-issue references...maybe someone will come up with a better way of handling conversation than word bubbles. And because the publishing overhead will be minimal, it will also allow an explosion of new talent into the market.

And if you really have to have your paper copy, you can just print it.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Pizawle

As long as printed comics still exist. It is the only medium I actually want a physical copy for.

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jamdown

I like going to the store

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Leliel
    @The Jeff said:
    " I'm ok with digital comics as long as they, keep printing them because that'd throw off my collection if they stopped and if they made it available for non-iDevices "
    you said all the words I needed to hear
    scarycrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarycrayons

I don't have a 'local comic shop' in England, and from what I hear, most people I talk to online (worldwide) don't have any local comic shops either... so until now, I've only ever bought fairly recent TPBs from Amazon (anything older, especially Marvel stuff, sells used at ridiculously high prices).

Digital comics finally allow me to buy the individual issues themselves!  I can't believe people are actually shunning it and hoping that it's a fad that'll die out, because it's the only way I can legally get comics that aren't released in TPBs...   it's even more annoying when people think that they should "get comics first" because they live near a comic store, and have digital customers wait months or years before they're allowed to buy or read them.

How the heck is it ever a good idea to shun people away from comics just because of where they live?

tappay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tappay

As a comic book store owner, I really hope that they don't release them on the same day as printed. The future as Illuminarch describes is one I don't want to be a part of, and honestly really don't think will happen. Better page transitions, maybe replace the word bubbles for the dialogue, hey lets throw in some audio too..yea they've had those for years .What your describing is called a cartoon. This a printed medium, but more importantly this is a business. Comics are fun and a distraction from life an an expression of art and great story telling but it's big huge companies that have contracts with other big huge companies and so on and so on.. Remember when Action Comics #1 just sold recently for a million bucks, then surpassed a week later by Batman selling for 1.75 million?
    You think that is every gonna happen with a digital comic, a piece of software? The CGC's of the world and the other grading companies, the collectors, the comic-cons promoters, the publishers, the whole system appraising and valuing and auctioning and grading these first print edition books, are just going to allow digital to take over? Ya and we'll all be driving cars that run on water and get rid of fossil fuels too I hear. It's not going to happen any time soon. There are bigger things in play that just won't allow the printed comic book to stop all together. It is really the last printed medium that appreciates in value, and the market will always be there, because the demand will always be there. What's a digital comic going to be worth if every body has a copy that they copied or downloaded from someone else? Whose got #1? Well, we all do in that universe.
     I support digital comics for one reason..It's a convenience thing,. That is definite. The comment about taking them digitally on a vacation ..totally agree. Living out in the sticks somewhere and no comic book store for miles..awesome option. They should never be released any earlier than 1 to 2 months later than print and should always cost more than print.  People when given the option want something physically to have in their possession.
     I hope it helps those that are curious or unable to get comics normally, it should create a lot of new fans and customers. Maybe they should even take a percent of each digital sale and put it into a kitty then give kickbacks to the comic shop owners in form of a credit on their invoices annually. It would be minuscule more than likely but, it's  a start.

Paul Tappay
    Pulp Comis
    Niagara Falls, Canada

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.