Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Off My Mind: Marvel's Most Iconic Female Character

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By A-Strondinaire

I think Storm is the most iconic marvel woman if you show pictures of each known Marvel women without their outfits to an unsuspecting non-comic fan she will always get picked because of her eyes and hair. Elektra will be known mainly by random dudes because of her lesbian kiss in the movie. Sue can't be recognized without her F4 outfit. Jean Grey will almost always be confused with Mary Jane. Ms Marvel been gone so long they'd think she was a new Captain America knock off. Spider-Woman is out too because there's so many iterations they'll all think she's the same person just with different costume changes. This would make for an excellent video go out on the street and see which marvel women will get more recognized and give double points for women non-geeky women because (not being misogynist just keeping it real if their even able to know there real name thats got to be a big deal) Just sayin'.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#202  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @B'Town: What annoyed me was right when I started getting into Ms. Marvel and wanted to read her book, I found out the series was getting cancelled -__- Black Widow I loved up until #6 when Liu left and a new writer came in with a boring story that in my opinion is the reason the book tanked, not sales. I really don't see what's so hard to make a good She-Hulk series, I mean the girl's a lawyer! How hard is it to find a writer who not only loves She-Hulk but is also good at writing crime comics? If Marvel really cared about these characters, they would be looking for a writer who understands these characters and wants to actually DO something with them that makes them interesting and fun to the reader. Heck, I would love to see an Invisible Woman mini-series, the woman's a mother, a wife, and a freakin' superhero, that's plenty to take and make an interesting story with.
    00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#203  Edited By 00 Raiser

Out of all the famous women of Marvel I would have to say Storm of the X-Men gets number one. I mean who hasnt heard of her.

IamRobot84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By IamRobot84

Jean Grey initially came to mind first, but then Storm pushed her aside as the #1

asmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By asmus

My wife said "Rogue".  Due to the X-Men movies and cartoon.  That answer surprised me, but it makes sense.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#206  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

Definitely Storm or Jean Grey.  I wish I could say Wasp but they never really made her iconic, just one of the other Avengers women with Scarlet Witch and She-hulk.  If they had kept up with her better since the early 80's then maybe Carol Danvers would fit the bill but she disappeared for a while, then turned into Binary and was only seen sporadically and even as Warbird she never really shined. 

So yes, I will stick with Storm or Jean just for shear staying power

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#207  Edited By Roninidas

Well, for me. Jean Grey and the Invisible Woman come to mind, but popularity doesn't necessarily mean iconic. I honestly think Marvel doesn't have a standout femine character.  When you talk about DC Comics and Wonder Woman; she is associated with Batman and Superman the two flagship characters of DC.  She is even associated with them in the Trinity.  That being said she is up there.  None of the female characters can really boast that in the Marvel Universe.  Not that they are unworthy.     

Personaly I believe Janet Van Dyne aka The Wasp is a good canidate.  She was a founding member of the Avengers. She even coined the team name. I think she is a very strong female character, very heroic. She has made the Ultimate Sacrifice during Secret Invasion.  I am sure it is only a matter of time before she returns.  When she does surely she will be back on the Avengers.

One of my guilty pleasures is kind of enjoy her character more than the others on the Disney XD The Mighty Avengers Cartoon.  She is very fun on that show, full of life. 

I also hope and am keeping my fingers crossed that she will be in the Avengers Movie. 

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#208  Edited By fbdarkangel

storm! however X-23 seems to be only female character who has a current solo series which is very successful! 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @fbdarkangel said:
      X-23 seems to be only female character who has a current solo series which is very successful
    Any female book written by Liu would be successful xD
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By GREGalicious

Its hard to say but JEAN GREY (aka PHOENIX), STORM or INVISIBLE WOMAN are good candidates. I would also say WASP, ROGUE, and ELEKTRA would be good.

Marvel isnt like DC, it uses many strong females. DC tends to use the same ones a lot of the time.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#211  Edited By Blood1991

Storm was the first truely iconic marvel female, mostly because Sue Storm was the Invisible girl not the woman she is now. However recently Ms. Marvel and Spider Woman have been hiting the stage as Marvel's head chicks. I love Storm, but after reading some of the battle post I can see some people being sore at her "no I don't think she could beat Galactus XD". She isn't what she used to be so for now at least I give it to Ms. Marvel.

krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#212  Edited By krisis

It's clearly Storm. She is unique, classic, and well-saturated across different forms of media.

She is followed by some combination of Jean Grey, Invisible Woman, and Mary Jane. None of the female Avengers are widely-known enough outside of their own comics to count, and Elektra's in-continuity footprint is too minor by comparison.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#213  Edited By ReVamp

@Aqua11500
    True, but her name is widely, known. At least in my language. Partly because her name is VERY similar when translated to that of Wonder Woman, which means that people find out about her very easily.

On your second point, I have to admit that its true, but a LOT of people, at least where I live, have NO clue that the X-Men movies are based on comics, YES, even with the Marvel intro. So since they don't know that the character is part of Marvel, there is no way the character could be iconic, and representative, of Marvel, even if they know said character, better than Ms. Marvel for example. So, in conclusion, the reason why Ms. Marvel is so Iconic is that the person in question has to know a little about comics, and when they do, Ms. Marvel is generally the one which is the most Iconic.

... I hope I explained this well enough O.O. 

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#214  Edited By hitechlolife

Not sure how people can say Storm with such certaintity. Marvel has treated her as c-list the last few years. She used to lead the X-men, now she gets the odd cameo.

kimi74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#215  Edited By kimi74

From a business perspective I would say that Marvel have dropped the ball and don't really have an iconic character like WW... But I have to state that a lot of my fave female characters come from the Marvel Universe and most of my pull list is Marvel (but the DC quota is increasing slowly). (I personally don't think that 'iconic' status is important to me as a reader).

Iconic status, IMHO, is driven not only by what is known about a character but how it is easily recognised. The WW is a common icon of a long-term character. With this in mind, I have to say Storm is the most iconic character but this is still a stretch for me.

Love the character but, with this question in mind, I believe that Marvel stuff around too much with all the costume changes and logo modifications. They allow the iconic potential to be diluted... Okay - I'm thinking too much about it...

Short answer: Don't think Marvel has an iconic female character.. But if forced to choose: Storm.

Aaric_Rivad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Aaric_Rivad

Marvel doesn't have an iconic female, and they don't need one.  They have many females who are much more interesting than Wonder Woman, but will never reach her popularity.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#217  Edited By Calvin

You go to anywhere else other than the USA, you speak to some who is not a comic book reader, I guarantee you that person know's Superman, Spiderman and Batman. 

It's more than just an effect of movies. These are character built-in modern culture. You want an true iconic female character? Make one that even someone that doesn't likes comic books feels inspired by. 

Wonder Woman was the best DC got close too, but I believe Diana, as an cultural icon is far from her true potential. 

Even so her success shows that you need character who have their own story, who stand on their own. - She's not a spin-.off or rip-off coming from another superhero, and she's not just another team member from Avangers, X-Men or Justice League.  She's stands on her own. 

On top of that, she will need a more define, clear purpose and background. Sure I haven't read her books in a while. However it's funny that no one who never read Superman or Batman knows, one come from space and the other saw his parents be killed in front of him as a child. -  People understand their fight, relate to and feel inspired. 

Iconic superheroines are not just about tapping into girls minds and get them to read comic books. Any superhero is greater than life. But real icons.... are greater than comic books. They are built in modern culture. To do this, to built something like that it takes a huge deal of risk. Every ones knows that Superman or Spiderman could have not worked out. But with true inspiration, and with profit at heart some people built this great beacons of inspiration. 

PS - Wasn't Wonder Woman created by a dude who worked in early attempts to build something like a Polyamory? 

See? No one's here is a rip-off. Originality!    
       See? No one's here is a rip-off. Originality!    
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Aqua11500
    @hitechlolife said:
    Not sure how people can say Storm with such certaintity. Marvel has treated her as c-list the last few years. She used to lead the X-men, now she gets the odd cameo.
    Yes but overall her prominence and history is what makes her prevail, even wit her getting she shitty end of stick for the past few years,though she is still one of the most popular X-men.

People speak of originality and not being a cop off of a male superhero,well that's Storm.She wasn't based from Thor or weather wizard,she was just Storm the African Goddess persona.she grew throughout years of development.

she has the most exposure in outside media other than comics,she the most frequently used X-woman or marvel female,whether it be books,movies,cartoons video games etc.

If were are technically looking for Marvel "Wonder Woman" then Storm is the biggest contender,despite being a treated as a C-lister for the past 3 ears,she is still A-lister and she is a well known property of Marvel.

Of course there other X-women,but they don't have as big as a fan base as Storm,second would be Jean,but still Storm gets more use from marvel than she...

Storm for the majority obviously.I know her fans can be over the top,but in reality she's great character,female power house and strong independent woman.WW's looks star spangled bathing suit and tiara is her iconic look, well Storm is this Black chick with Blue cat eyes and white hair and arm capes..you don't find that  everyday.

she has striking presence as a character.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @B'Town said:

Ms Marvel!!!  

Ms. Marvel #27
    Ms. Marvel #27

As for the opinion that Ms Marvel is not "iconic" enough... because all the schmoes who only watch crappy tv shows and movies don't know who she is, well, I don't care what they think cause they are in fact schmoes.  hhahha.
    QFT!
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Lady Stiltman lol
     Lady Stiltman lol
    Sparky_Buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Sparky_Buzzsaw

I don't know.  I think I'd go with Sue Storm, but Jean Grey's also pretty iconic too.  That's a tough call.
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#222  Edited By B'Town
    @War Killer said:
    @fbdarkangel said:
      X-23 seems to be only female character who has a current solo series which is very successful
    Any female book written by Liu would be successful xD
    YES.
    Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

im a guy and i like women way better than i do men in comics! women strike me as more interesting and their stories always rock!
    Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Man of Lengend

i say it might be mary jane she has no powers but like everyone knows her for sure. if it has to be a superhero ill give it to jean gray

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I think Mary Jane hands down for female Marvel characters, I may be alone here, but she has been damn important in Spider-Man and usually in the spot light, so it's hard to not instantly think of her.

tiger26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By tiger26

When i think about iconic women in marvel I think about three woman sue storm ms.marvel and storm.  
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#227  Edited By jordama

I would like to think they don't have one solid female, but several really good ones.

RobertG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By RobertG

Sue is Marvels first lady in my mind!
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#229  Edited By harleyquinn12

Whenever i think of Marvel women, I always think of Ms. Marvel, Black Widow and Wasp, but that's just cause I love the Avengers. Those are the most iconic for me, but for maybe non comic fans, or just in general, I'd say Invisible Woman, Jean Grey or Storm.
    Falcon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Falcon9

I gotta say that in my personal opinon, I have to say Sue Storm is #1. Then Ms. Marvel is right there at #2. Following her for #3 is a three way tie, between Jean Grey. Black widow, and the Wasp.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#231  Edited By bingbangboom

I think that while there isn't a big "Wonder Woman" like character from Marvel it is not because they lack good female characters. Truth is just they don't have one as their big three. Wonder Woman has been around forever and had the TV show that really helped her popularity. 

When I read comics though I don't just look to see if there are females on the team, which is good because the characters in Avengers are all done very well. I would like to see a push for a solo series or something in  TV/Movies but done right and well.
    jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By jorgeareizaga

Definetely any of the marvel super heorines are so great, fantastic and famous as WONDER WOMAN is!!!!!!, no matters how Marvel try to copy her, WONDER WOMAN IS THE MEGA TOTAL QUEEN OF COMICS!!!!!!

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By OmegaHans

She-Hulk. She was always one of Stan's particular favs.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @jorgeareizaga said:
    Definetely any of the marvel super heorines are so great, fantastic and famous as WONDER WOMAN is!!!!!!, no matters how Marvel try to copy her, WONDER WOMAN IS THE MEGA TOTAL QUEEN OF COMICS!!!!!!
    Wonder Woman is overrated.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By goldenkey

I'd have to go with Invinsible Woman or Electra just because most people who don't read comics would know who those women are.  Maybe even storm but just because of the movies and people know who Halle Berry is.  Even tho Jean Grey was in the X-men you mention the name Femke Jenson and people are gonna be like "Who the hell is Femke Jenson?"
    ms_zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By ms_zen

I think the easy answer is Ms. Marvel. Of late, she seems to be completely separate from her male counterpart, and let's not forget her feminist traits in the past. I would also have to point to Jean Grey, who was one of the original women of comics, is prominent in main stream media, and is also one of the heaviest hitters in the Marvel universe. 

As to Wonder Woman in main media-she is an intimidating role to play. Fans currently do not appreciate a campy take on heroes, and it's a challenging balance to strike with Wonder Woman given the Greek Pantheon's involvement in her creation. 

The other point the article brought up was perhaps a lack of a proper demographic. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of success and failure rates of comics when compared to the gender of the title character. It would also be interesting to take into account the gender of the author. It would also be intriguing to see a study of the gender break down of comic book purchasers, especially in comparison to the gender of the title character. 
    Avatar image for mysteriousblack
    MysteriousBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MysteriousBlack

Susan Storm.

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#238  Edited By caladbolglight

I personally love Psylocke, but I could hardly call her Marvel's iconic character. I can't stand this character, but I'd have to say Mary Jane.

Mary Jane is DC's Lois Lane, which means that if you were walk up to someone (who didn't read comics) and ask them to tell you the first Marvel female name that came to their head (if they've seen movies; if they haven't you'll probably get a blank stare in return), they'd have to say Spider-Man's ex-girl.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

My top 5:

Sue Storm

Emma Frost

Storm

Ms Marvel

Jean Grey

No particular order...

VickyVons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By VickyVons

either Storm, Sue Storm, or Jean Grey, but i'm banking on Storm

Matthevv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Matthevv
    @Nobody: What?
    NinjaMime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By NinjaMime

Storm because she is always chosen to be in every marvel game that involves crossover and is in every x-men game in general, she has a lot of non comic fan notoriety. Invisible Woman and Mary Jane would have to be my runner ups.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#243  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Storm
    Jean
    Sue

Phobiusapollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Phobiusapollo

While Sue was the first, I have to say it is either Jean Grey/ Phoenix or Wasp.

Phobiusapollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Phobiusapollo

........ and the irony of it all is that Marvels array of Heroines are far better characters than DC's Heroines and yet DC's villainous vixens are some of their best characters, male or female.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

I'd say Storm is most iconic canididate of the super heroines. She is much more recognizable than most of Marvel's female super heroines, and that is mainly because of her exposure in non-comic book mediums, and her connection to the x-men. She has been in pretty much every x-men animated series, video games, toys, clothing, even her own perfume and amusement park ride. I think She-Hulk, Jean Grey and Invisiblew Woman is also up there in popularity, but if I 'd have to say who is more iconic, I'd go with Storm.
    Ruudi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Ruudi9

Off the top of my head, starting with DC:

Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Powergirl
    Cat Woman
    erm...

Marvel:
    Spider-Woman
    She-Hulk
    Janet Van-Dyne/Wasp
    Storm
    Sue Storm
    Maria Hill
    Ms Marvel
    Rogue
    Jubilee
    Black Cat
    Valkyrie
    Sif
    Jessica Jones
    Betty Ross/Red She-Hulk
    Aurora
    Jean Grey
    Jocasta (Ok, technically a robot but hey)
    I could probably add around another 5 if I really tried.
    The reason that none are as 'iconic' as their DC counterparts (though many are better, more interesting characters) is that there are more around and as mentioned are more team players than stand alone characters.
    I'm all for big powerful females characters in comics, just make sure Frank Cho draws 'em! ;)
    Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
    deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone but Ms. Marvel. I'm tired of marvel trying to push her to the for front as the definitive Marvel female. 

kingmjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By kingmjolnir

Ms. Marvel hands down. She's tough, powerful, independent, and she can hold on to her own title long enough to actually have some character depth.

Storm is powerful, but she can't step up to the plate in the avengers (that picture on the menu for UA2 where storm is fighting thor actually made me laugh. ridiculous idea that a norse god of thunder, who spends alot of time in the cold could get defeated by weather).

Phoenix could also and probably should also be the lead feminine hero, but marvel needs to learn how to keep her around. and stop giving her headaches.

The invisible woman is too mom like; that and it seems like nobody cares about her unless the other three are involved.

if you put Ms. Marvel in a GOOD avengers roster with core Marvel heroes, and they took on the JLA, i can deffinatly see her getting some damn good hits in.

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Aqua11500
    @kingmjolnir said:

Ms. Marvel hands down. She's tough, powerful, independent, and she can hold on to her own title long enough to actually have some character depth.

Storm is powerful, but she can't step up to the plate in the avengers (that picture on the menu for UA2 where storm is fighting thor actually made me laugh. ridiculous idea that a norse god of thunder, who spends alot of time in the cold could get defeated by weather).

Phoenix could also and probably should also be the lead feminine hero, but marvel needs to learn how to keep her around. and stop giving her headaches.

The invisible woman is too mom like; that and it seems like nobody cares about her unless the other three are involved.

if you put Ms. Marvel in a GOOD avengers roster with core Marvel heroes, and they took on the JLA, i can deffinatly see her getting some damn good hits in.

Yeah but Ms. Marvel keeps getting cancelled.. brilliant -_-
    Marvel tried to pus her,but look where she is now,same for She-Hulk.I can say  that Storm is a bigger name then those two.

Storm fighting Thor is funny,but in a video game it looks bad ass.Don't be throwing shade at my gurl...kk

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.