No More R Rated Movies For Marvel

Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio
After the...disappointment of "Punisher War Zone," this doesn't really come as much of a surprise.  Marvel Entertainment's Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors, Peter Cuneo stated that Marvel will not be focusing on doing R rated movies.  He considers them to be "off strategy."  Marvel also wants to do "Triple Threat" movies, movies that can generate profits with other merchandise as well. 

From a business standpoint it makes sense.  You can't really have Punisher bedsheets or party decorations.   Yet, someone as brutal as Wolverine can and will be plastered all over assorted merchandise.  I'm sure some people will be upset by this but they're not saying they will only make G rated kiddie movies.  Superheroes do appeal to younger viewers and it would just be ignorant to try to shut out those potential viewers. 

We also have to consider that the more money they generate on the glut of merchandise gives them more reasons to give us more movies.  Look at Iron Man.  He was a weapons supplier.  He drank alcohol.  He...enjoyed the ladies.  But because they could sell action figures and sneakers with Iron Man on them, it's a no-brainer to finance the sequel. 

So maybe we won't get the violent Moon Knight feature (not that one was being planned) but you have to look at who the audience is.  Even Watchmen appears to be suffereing due to it's 'adult nature' and rating.  What are your thoughts?
Staff
#1 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah what your saying about Merchendising makes alot of sense, most of moive merchendise is aimed at kids any way.

Look at The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, they werent kids movies, as such, yet they still managed to make the toys and bed sheets ect ect, so i think it will work out well. they wont make movies for Kids, theyll still be watchable for older people, maybe just less violence and sex, and they can still make money and maybe continue the Franchise....Makes sense to me!!!

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like a smart movie on Marvel's part, but he said they won't focus on R rated movies. Doesn't mean they won't make them, they might just be direct to DVD. Which I don't have a problem with some direct to DVD movies are pretty good.

#3 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

tellya what, marvel reminds me of Dr. Oethker

#4 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio
Voidheart said:
"tellya what, marvel reminds me of Dr. Oethker
"

WHAT???

As in the food company????
#5 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

You can do dark movies without making them R. Generally when they make a movie R it just downgrades it cause they throw a whole bunch of langeuage in it and lots of blood, etc. None of it usually needed.

#6 Posted by themaskedhero (264 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a 2nd Punisher movie?

#7 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"You can do dark movies without making them R. Generally when they make a movie R it just downgrades it cause they throw a whole bunch of langeuage in it and lots of blood, etc. None of it usually needed.
"

thats true,themaskedhero said:
"There was a 2nd Punisher movie?"
LMOA
#8 Edited by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurm. Look at "300" It was an R-Rated movie. As violent and gritty as it gets it managed to succeed in the box office, the reason? The budget wasn't that big and if it was a bomb at the theaters it wouldn't have been a "scandal" about it... What i'm saying is, please... Do not abandon future R-Rated projects, just attach the right people on it AND give it a thought or two after inking deals.

#9 Posted by mikemosha90 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, lame.

#10 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
Well that Sucks
#11 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

I could go either way on this......so whatever. Just make good movies.

#12 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think a movie has to be rated R just to be good. Joker was allowed to jam a pencil into a dude's eye and it wasn't R rated. The majority of Marvel comics aren't "R rated" either.  Like I said, they're not going to making only Power Pack movies.  Most "horror" movies these days are PG-13.  It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Staff
#13 Posted by danhimself (22282 posts) - - Show Bio

a movie doesn't have to be rated R to be good.....look at all the successful comic movies before this....the problem with war zone wasn't that it was rated R the problem was it was a terrible movie

#14 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#15 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

This is sad news to me because I was hoping to see Carnage (symbiote) on the big screen, but with no Rated R movies they better not even try now.

Maybe they should take a hint from their comics and create Marvel MAX Movie productions, this will allow them to show the dark side of Marvel, like MoonKnight, Marvel Zombies, Dead Pool, and even Howard the Duck.

#16 Edited by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio
Spectrum said:
"Voidheart said:
"tellya what, marvel reminds me of Dr. Oethker
"

WHAT???

As in the food company????"
yes, they started in a few areas , say Bread, oatmeal, and when they noticed backing powder was the $H17, they stopped the rest and concentrated on backing powder and Boomed, now they have enough money to concentrate on making planes and boats....


backing powder to Boats = Epic win
#17 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio
Joe Venom said:
"This is sad news to me because I was hoping to see Carnage (symbiote) on the big screen, but with no Rated R movies they better not even try now.

Maybe they should take a hint from their comics and create Marvel MAX Movie productions, this will allow them to show the dark side of Marvel, like MoonKnight, Marvel Zombies, Dead Pool, and even Howard the Duck.
"
I'm sure it's a matter of "never say never."  Marvel has their hands full over the next few years with Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 4, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers.  There's also the rumored Ant-Man and other Nick Fury/SHEILD movie.  But if it came down to it, I'm sure they'd do it again if the right project came up.  Maybe in three years when all these movies are out, the whole climate can change and maybe they will go back to R rated movies.  But again, I don't think a movie has to be R rated just to be good.  You could have Carnage killing in a PG-13 movie.  I just don't know if the movie-going public/non-comic book readers are ready for a Carnage movie.
Staff
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

If Captain America and Deathlok aren't going to be rated R.I can't see them being any good.

Moderator
#19 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't have too little violence in it it's okay.

#20 Posted by wordchallenge (151 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes sense.  No studio should focus on making R-rated movies, but they shouldn't prevent movies that couldn't be anything else from being R-rated.  I thought the Punisher movies were true to the brutal nature of Punisher and that's what made them enjoyable.  And Watchmen and 300 had to be R to be what they are.  If you stripped away the grittiness of those movies that the R content provides they would be much worse, but there's good PG-13 movies too.
I can't fault them for doing this for merchandising purposes because I want them to make money so they can keep making comic hero movies.
And besides, there's still quite a bit allowed in PG-13 movies.  No nudity, but that's barely ever crucial to the story anyway.

#21 Posted by danhimself (22282 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:

I'm sure it's a matter of "never say never."  Marvel has their hands full over the next few years with Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 4, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers.  There's also the rumored Ant-Man and other Nick Fury/SHEILD movie.  
yeah i don't see them putting too much effort into other projects until they're done with these

with those movies you listed about marvel is doing something that's never been attempted before...creating a movie universe....i imagine that it's going to be a very hard concept to achieve and even if marvel wanted to do a movie with carnage in it (which i really don't think they would after the critical bombing of venom in spider-man 3) they can't....carnage would only be in a spider-man movie and sony owns the rights to the spider-man film franchise so if sony wants to make a rated R spider-man movie (which again will never happen) then that's up to them
#22 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"If Captain America and Deathlok aren't going to be rated R.I can't see them being any good."
Captain America?  Really?  He's almost as big of a boy scout as Superman.
Staff
#23 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

No more R rated movies? Well that is a bummer cause some marvel franchises could be sweet to seen done violently. Oh well

#24 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"
After the...disappointment of "Punisher War Zone," this doesn't really come as much of a surprise.  Marvel Entertainment's Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors, Peter Cuneo stated that Marvel will not be focusing on doing R rated movies.  He considers them to be "off strategy."  Marvel also wants to do "Triple Threat" movies, movies that can generate profits with other merchandise as well. 

From a business standpoint it makes sense.  You can't really have Punisher bedsheets or party decorations.   Yet, someone as brutal as Wolverine can and will be plastered all over assorted merchandise.  I'm sure some people will be upset by this but they're not saying they will only make G rated kiddie movies.  Superheroes do appeal to younger viewers and it would just be ignorant to try to shut out those potential viewers. 

We also have to consider that the more money they generate on the glut of merchandise gives them more reasons to give us more movies.  Look at Iron Man.  He was a weapons supplier.  He drank alcohol.  He...enjoyed the ladies.  But because they could sell action figures and sneakers with Iron Man on them, it's a no-brainer to finance the sequel. 

So maybe we won't get the violent Moon Knight feature (not that one was being planned) but you have to look at who the audience is.  Even Watchmen appears to be suffereing due to it's 'adult nature' and rating.  What are your thoughts?
"

yeah your right its important to make a movie that everyone can enjoy, sure watchmen is a great movie but its a movie with viewers limited to adults they need to balance it out sure a good movie can have violence but not not R rated violence and seriously no sex scenes thats a no no if you wanna have everyone seeing it cuz not everyone wants to see a movie with a five minute sex scene or are even allowed to and yeah is that all thats needed to be said?  
#25 Posted by Shatterstar (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?

Moderator
#26 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

Perv factor, yes

#27 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

No Marvel Zombies?  :(   Seems mervel is taking further and further steps to make their comics/films family friendly. O well.

#28 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
Shatterstar said:
"Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?
"

I agree with that sentiment as well.
#29 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
Shatterstar said:
"Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?
"
best post on this thread
#30 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio
Shatterstar said:
"Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?
"


Staff
#31 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Shatterstar said:
"Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?
"


"

the worst has just happened
#32 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Shatterstar said:
"Punisher being R-rated didn't kill Punisher, Punisher sucking killed Punisher.

That said other than Moon Knight, I don't see how any upcoming Marvel properties movies would work as R-rated. R-rated Ant-Man?
"


"
they could have this and still keep this PG-13
#33 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure.  They could also make it R rated and have her drop the towel.  The point is, I don't think not having R rated comic book movies is a big deal.  And as I said, if something darker came along to being made into a movie, I'm sure they would alter this policy.

Staff
#34 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Sure.  They could also make it R rated and have her drop the towel.  The point is, I don't think not having R rated comic book movies is a big deal.  And as I said, if something darker came along to being made into a movie, I'm sure they would alter this policy.
"
I would have to agree with you
#35 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Comics are made for kids. I thought Joe Q made this clear when he designed OMD. It makes sense that they don't want to make 'R' rated movies.

Also, the new Punisher flick was awesome. I don't know what everyone else was watching/expecting.

#36 Posted by LackLuster (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah people just don't know how to make a punisher movie.

#37 Posted by Dead (35 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make Punisher PG-13 I'm gunna throw a fit! But Wolverine PG-13 I can kinda see way but then again he should be R instead. Like Dark Horse got the damn AVP movie rated PG-13 and that pissed me off. How can two of sci-fi's scariest monster be rated PG-13 when there other movies were R, it ruined everything about Aliens and Predator! They can't make Wolverine PG-13 nor can they do that to Punisher.  

#38 Posted by Lunacyde (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly nudity and language seem to be the biggest factors in making movies R and we dont need a whole lot of ewither so its not that big of a deal.

Online
#39 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey now let's not jump the gun here folks, I disagree who says we don't need nudity. I mean who doesn't want to see Gwenyth get naked as Pepper. I know I'll pay to see that. :)

#40 Posted by Raia (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Well one, they are NOT about to spend millions of dollars for a movie to go straight to DVD. Two, Punisher 2 sucked because it simply wasn't good. And three, who says you need all that sex and nudity in the first place? That's why Watchmen did so bad, no one wants to see a neck blue man through the whole film, as well wild and crazy sex scenes. Some things things just aren't necessary, I think that's where some of these films go wrong.

#41 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

An interesting note, Warner Bros is basically saying the same thing now.  IESB reported that they do not plan on making any R Rated "Superhero/Tentpole" movies.  Watchmen was good but because of its rating, a lot of people were turned away.

Staff
#42 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

O well, pg13 is where the $ is at!

#43 Posted by Modi (49 posts) - - Show Bio
LastSon1027 said:
"Hey now let's not jump the gun here folks, I disagree who says we don't need nudity. I mean who doesn't want to see Gwenyth get naked as Pepper. I know I'll pay to see that. :)"

Black Cat in Spider-man.

"sir all the seats in the cinema are sticky"

"uhh, tell em we put on a horror before hand and its just drying coke"

#44 Posted by tom fulp (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't they just focus on Spider-man ?

#45 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its great that they've stopped doing R rated films.

#46 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"Well that Sucks
"

What is so much better about the R-rating anyway? 
#47 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

untrue. Deathlok is in production and its rated R.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.