Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

New to Marvel - Where the heck should I start?

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By FlashKnight

DC was easy to get into for me, what with the New 52 pretty much rebooting the entire continuity. Marvel, I am completely lost as to where to start. Any veterans have any suggestions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@flashknight: What characters do you like from DC? Are there any specific archetypes you enjoy?

Agha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Start with a classic like...

1.iron man

2.Hulk

3.spiderman

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Try Remender's Uncanny X-Force. I had little to no knowledge of Apocalypse, Psylocke, Fantomex, Archangel, or even X-Force, and I understood it. Just read the wiki pages of characters you're unfamiliar with.

If you're like me and you like Batman a lot, then I would try getting into Daredevil. Maybe start with Mark Waid's ongoing run (Volume 3). If you like it, read some of the old Miller stuff. I liked the art a lot in Waid's run, but after reading the essential Daredevil stories I have a much greater appreciation of the character.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil volume 3 or hawkeye

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashknight: What characters do you like from DC? Are there any specific archetypes you enjoy?

My 3 favorites are Batman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@flashknight: Avengers and New Avengers might be a good place to start. Also, I recommend that you get some back issues of Spider-Man in which it's Peter as Spider-Man. The current Superior Spider-Man volume isn't quite the same.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright I'll try Avengers, thanks for the help. Just head Marvel was doing a reboot somewhere, so that's why I made this thread lol.

captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you have started at the right time, marvel now collection is a great start for beginners. Most comics are only 7 issues in, and most comic stores have issue 1 in stock. If you are looking for superheros I'd go with the Avengers, Iron-man, Superior Spider-man, All new X-Men and Captain America. Captain America was my first superhero and I picked up a couple of his trades and fell for it.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil volume 3 or hawkeye

Which are IMO the best Marvel has to offer now.

It depends what heroes you like, I know this is kinda cliché, but reading to what heroes you like helps a lot, since Marvel (surprisingly) has a line of good books now:

Avengers: Avengers + New Avengers are written by the same person, but with two separate storylines, they are both not bad.

Spider-Man: If you like Spidey, then I suggest you collect Remender's Venom TPBs. If you want Peter Parker, read the last few issues of Amazing Spider-Man (697-700) and jump onto the Superior Spider-Man train (#6 is the latest issue)

X-Men: Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men are written by the same person, which I have to say, is not bad, if you want something more edgey, get Remender's Uncanny X-Force TPB.

From what I can tell though, the best titles on Marvel are:

Daredevil, Hawkeye, FF (Not Fantastic Four), Indestructible Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to go with these 3 to start: Avengers, Black Panther, and Thor. Although I do have 1 more question. I read comics on comixology, so what volume should I start with for these 3?

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to go with these 3 to start: Avengers, Black Panther, and Thor. Although I do have 1 more question. I read comics on comixology, so what volume should I start with for these 3?

In all actuality if you want more bang to your buck I would subscribe to marvel unlimited. For only $10 a month you have access to marvel's huge digital comic database. Some of the digital comics they have date back to the 1960s. The only catch is that the comics they release are 6 months and older so you wouldn't have access to what has currently been released. The only issue I have about it is the "Smart page" feature. It sometimes is a little bit buggy and some lesser known series such as 'Power Pack' pages won't show. But other than that it is a great deal and is accessible from your computer, ipad (my favorite app) or iphone (Currently the don't support Android phones >_>).

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

For a new reader probably: Black Panther, Spider-man (pre-superior), Ms Marvel (Brian's Volume. I think that was Volume 2?), Daredevil or Hawkeye. If you're a new reader I would not recommend any of the Avengers books as it doesn't give a lot of back-story and takes for granted you know who the characters are.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

@flashknight: If you really don't know what the heck the characters are talking about check wikipedia to understand. Unless you want to purchase the issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.