Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

My Thoughts: Marvel Film Universe

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By moviegeek17

Here's a topic i've been thinking a lot about lately, the Marvel film universe. 

What we are witnessing with each new marvel studios film is one of the most intriguing experiments ever done with film. Never before with superhero films has there been an attempt to create a universe where more than the title hero lives in it. Yet here we are with iron man hulk thor and next week captain america each in their own pocket of the universe but at the same time each one is connected to the other. As far as i know nothing like this has ever been tried before in mainstream films before and next year we are going to find out whether or not this experiment will succeed depending on if the avengers film next year is successful or a dud. 

Personally i am excited about the prospect of these characters sharing a cohesive universe together as long as its managed properly. Now for this post i am mainly going to be focusing on the positives to such a universe but i do understand that with this experiment there are some problems that stand alone super hero film would not have to deal with (continuity being the biggest issue and finding new actors over time to replace the older ones as the universe progresses).  

But anyway one of the things that has me so adamantly supporting a film universe is that if every film is linked together with a set universe (assuming avengers is succesful and these films keep happening) then each respective franchise has to keep going even if there is a bad sequel thrown into the mix. That's right fellow comic fans with a shared universe we will get to see more than three films of a character! Let's take captain america for example, let's assume that this one is going to be a good film (which i believe it will be) and they make a sequel which turns out to be even better then the first one. But let's say when the third one happens that for whatever reason it is a bad film, not terrible but bad. Here comes the beauty of the universe, marvel CANNOT reboot cap and go back to his origin because he is linked to the entire universe. 

So what would marvel do in this case? glad you asked, the way i see it they can go two ways to fix the bad sequel. Option 1 being they can just make another sequel acknowledge its terrible story like comics do with their terrible storylines which tend to happen sometimes. Or if marvel wants to make some slight retcons to fix some of the predecessor's mistakes then they can go with option 2 or as i call it the "incredible hulk route", incredible hulk took aspects of the previous film and factored it into it's sequel for an awesome sequel/reboot. So on one hand having a film universe can be challenging due to continuity but on the plus side we will be seeing continued adventures of our heroes without having to redo the origin every now and then. 

Plus with this current continuity we have a chance of seeing some of our favorite comic book stories adapted onto the screen at some point and even with half a universe to work with i still love the idea of seeing something like infinity gauntlet happening or a kree skrull war type of scenario. And maybe just maybe if avengers becomes successful and  marvel makes a ton of money off of it, it might convince disney to try and buy back some of the rights that marvel gave to fox and sony. could you imagine the prospect of marvel having their entire universe to work with? they've accomplished so much with half their universe tied up from rights issues that i'd love to see what they'd do if they had the whole universe to play with. 

So as you can see i am really for this great big experiment that marvel is doing, i acknowledge the problems/flaws that come with it but i am willing to overlook it to seeing some of my favorite characters not only acknowledging each other but sharing the screen with one another. You can't ask for much better than that guys. 

so what are your thoughts? i would love to hear them
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I have a strong distaste for Marvel Studios films, They are to obsessed with servicing the fans and adapting the comics as close as they can, which is, well.....kind of boring. The best film they put out was Iron Man (first one), and I garuntee you that movie wouldn't have flown as well as it had if Robert Downey wasn't in it, sort of like the effect Johnny Depp had on the Pirates series,

Look at some of the films comic fans, non comic fans, and critics admire the most. Spider-man 2, X2, Dark Knight, are all loose adaptions, with keeping the characters and abilities and mythos intact, but offering something different...something you have not seen before. Marvel Studios is just going to waste time with a bunch of mediocre movies. Honestly I won't comment on Caps movie yet, but it seems to fall under the category and plot points that every "origin" movie has had.

The Avengers, who knows...It could bomb....could be great. Handling Team movies is a little different, there's a lot of characters that need development and their time in the spotlight, just watch the GI Joe film to see the negative alternative

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.