Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

My Huge Problem with Marvel comics. here we go!

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KenTheProfile

Hello , 

I love Marvel not as much as DC but love none the less. I do have one huge problem with them. it's the fact that for some reason there heroes must have a real life. 
    it okay when it does not cause any real trouble like Spider-man have a girlfriend. My problem comes when the  hero does something un heroic or downright wrong beecause of that real life. 
    eg. Reed Richards shuting down his own sons brain. regraudless of the reason no father would do that and no hero would ethier. in one move they take a hero who maybe was abit of a pompus jerk before and turn him to  
    a terrible father and borderline villian. 

my only idea on why Marvel does this is to give there books on reality. for me it breaks it. The most real thing in comics as far as hero's real life goes is BAT-MAN. He as no real life, he understood that when he started being a hero.

in plan why does Marvel seem to want are there heroes to be Jerks?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think Marvel tends to have more angst, dysfunction and outcasts. Now that can be both good and bad but seems to be what differentiates Marvel and DC for me. I think JLA/Avengers summed it up well. The Avengers kinda thought the Justice League was worshipped instead of being heroes while the Justice League was disgusted that Marvel Earth was in the state that it was in.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

DC does that on occasion. It depends. But yes, Marvel has a tendency to include more "realistic" stories (though, oddly, DC is generally more serious or dark)

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Larkin1388

So one hero turns into a jerk. There could be several reasons for this. Possibly a transition into another story arc. Tony Stark can be considered a jerk but it is part of his character, if they changed his personality im not quite sure anyone would like Iron Man anymore. Not everyone can walk the straight and narrow forever, somewhere along the line people slip up, even heroes.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By KenTheProfile
    @PrinceIMC:
    See that scares me because that would mean  the Avengers (and Marvel writers) don't know what a hero is supposed to be.  I also think part of it has to do with the idea that Marvel heroes think they have to protect the whole world and not just there part of it.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @KenTheProfile said:
    "@PrinceIMC: See that scares me because that would mean  the Avengers (and Marvel writers) don't know what a hero is supposed to be.  I also think part of it has to do with the idea that Marvel heroes think they have to protect the whole world and not just there part of it. "

Nah it just means the Marvel heroes have a hard time thinking of themselves as paragons of virtue like Superman because they're just people. They live among the people not above them. At least that's how they see the DC universe.
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " @KenTheProfile said:
    "@PrinceIMC: See that scares me because that would mean  the Avengers (and Marvel writers) don't know what a hero is supposed to be.  I also think part of it has to do with the idea that Marvel heroes think they have to protect the whole world and not just there part of it. "
    Nah it just means the Marvel heroes have a hard time thinking of themselves as paragons of virtue like Superman because they're just people. They live among the people not above them. At least that's how they see the DC universe. "

nice explanation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.