Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Midtown ranks Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Rulk & Hyperion in top10

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Charlie_Jade

Do you agree?

top10

Ironman

Wolverine

Strange

Herc

Gladiator

HYPERION

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

He’s Superman, except he’s an Eternal, so he’s immortal. Immortal Superman. Strength, flight, speed, enhanced senses, atomic vision. This is assuming this is the Earth 712 version. There are other versions? Yes… but let’s not go into alternate universe versions of heroes, because my alternate version of Darkhawk makes Thanos quake in fear.Why he’s #5: Now we’re getting to differences being fractional. Could Hyperion beat Thor? Maybe. Can Hulk wipe the floor with Hyperion? Possibly. The differences between them is smaller than Ant-Man on a good day.

RED HULK

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Very similar to the Hulk: Massive amounts of strength, able to leap great distances. Red Hulk can also absorb radiation, like gamma or cosmic, and he also heats up when he gets angry.WHY HE’S #4: He’s kinda hit a ceiling. When he debuted, Red Hulk was an unstoppable, cunning Hulk. In Avengers vs. X-Men, Phoenix Five Namor snaps his arm like a twig and gives him a compound fracture. Nothing like that happened to Thor or Hulk… so he’s lost a lot of that initial power, if not literally, then in a story telling sense. He’s still a powerhouse, but he’s no longer as scary as the top 3.

THOR

POWERS AND ABILITIES: The immortal Norse god of thunder, Thor is an ageless warrior, proficient with numerous melee weapons, and wields Mjolnir, one of the most powerful weapons in existence. Thor also controls weather, and can induce lightning strikes, hurricane force winds, torrential wind and freezing snow.Why he’s #3: He is a GOD. Not like Hercules, half-god, but like a full on GOD. The guy can breathe in space, face down the Phoenix BY HIMSELF, and he’s battled Hulk to a stand still. Still, something about manipulating the Power Cosmic…

THE HULK

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Hulk is the strongest one there is. From lifting mountain ranges, to becoming a World Breaker, Hulk’s power is limited only by his rage. And if this is a battle to the death, rage is going to go a long way in ensuring survival.Why he’s #2: The number one guy can manipulate energy and destroy planets

SILVER SURFER

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Silver Surfer wields the Power Cosmic. Basically, he can travel faster than life, heal anything, survive black holes, destroy planets and wield power that is just ridiculous. If it weren’t for his curious, gentle nature, this guy could destroy entire planets.Why he’s #1: Wizard had him at #1, and I begrudgingly agree. I’m a big Superman guy, but I can’t argue with a guy with this much power..

http://blog.midtowncomics.com/top-10-toughest-marvel-superheroes/6195/

and who is hyperion?

He has super vision, he just lectured Thor on drinking and he doesn't need food but feeds on sunlight

and maybe....maybe....beat the hell out of Hulk

depending on reader interpretation cos there was a mind control thing happening....maybe

Hyperion has beat the Hulk so hard he transformed back into Banner

?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@Charlie_Jade: He didn't beat Hulk back into Banner, there isn't room for different reader interpretations.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@guttridgeb: then what made hulk revert back to banner? sooooooo, Hyperion knocked some.... 'sense' into him huruhurhurhurhurhur 0-o

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Ha. Iron Man and Wolverine in the top ten? I don't think so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@Baberaham_Lincoln: Hulk reverted to Banner when Abyss lost control over Hulk because Thor uses his lightning.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@guttridgeb: Ohhohoooo my bad! ^_^. On a different point though, i'm glad to see hyperion portrayed as a powerhouse. Trifecta of badassery... Thor, Hulk, Hyperion =D

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueMarvel

Thor beat Silver Surfer. Thor also holds back when he fights the hulk

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Charlie_Jade

@TrueMarvel said:

Thor beat Silver Surfer. Thor also holds back when he fights the hulk

Surfer is one of the most notorious for holding back, he allows people like She-Hulk, Thing, Daredevil, Rhino to attack him and rarely ever fights back. In all of his fights with Thor its implied he was holding back

Thor's losses against Hulk might be a combo of nobility, fighting Hulk fairly and stupidity...Viking's weren't the most intelligent people

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

I usually disagree with these kinds of lists, and think I and many other posters I know could do a better job, that also being said I like this list linked below more than the one listed in OP.

http://www.oldwizard.net/?p=8266

It also helps in my opinion that Stan Lee creator of a few of these characters has had his say a number of times.

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Charlie_Jade

@SC said:

I usually disagree with these kinds of lists, and think I and many other posters I know could do a better job, that also being said I like this list linked below more than the one listed in OP.

http://www.oldwizard.net/?p=8266

3. Silver Surfer??

2. Superman??

1 Thor

It also helps in my opinion that Stan Lee creator of a few of these characters has had his say a number of times.

That's a terrible list, no wonder the old-wizard website went almost bankrupt, and they changed all to dot net. nobody reads the site anymore

Superman should never, ever, ever rank ahead of Surfer. There is no way Superman can beat Silver Surfer, even if Surfer sits still and allows Superman to beat on him Superman still can not win

Surfer with no moral code holding him back can one-shot Superman and kill him

Silver Surfer ALWAYS ranks ahead of Superman

any sensible reader knows this

Maxima? Sentry? Blackbolt?....seriously wtf are these people wizard are ranking? are they even heroes?

Flash, Surfer and Superman are also simply FASTER than Thor

Thor doesn't have enough speed feats to match their ridiculous reaction times

Every time Thor faces a speedster he's getting blitzed on battles, he might beat Flash only because the Flash has been tagged by bricks and Flash has no durability but most other superheroes with superspeed blitz Thor

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Charlie_Jade said:

Superman should never, ever, ever rank ahead of Surfer. There is no way Superman can beat Silver Surfer, even if Surfer sits still and allows Superman to beat on him Superman still can not win. Surfer with no moral code holding him back can one-shot Superman and kill him. Silver Surfer ALWAYS ranks ahead of Superman. any sensible reader knows this

Flash, Surfer and Superman are also simply FASTER than Thor. Thor doesn't have enough speed feats to match their ridiculous reaction times. Every time Thor faces a speedster he's getting blitzed on battles

Its much better than the one you provided. As for your objections? They are unfounded assertions. Your talking about fictional characters with fluctuating power traits, hence any actual sensible reader wouldn't treat the characters powers as if set in concrete. If many of the writers who actually have written Superman and Silver Surfer says Superman has a chance, then an anonymous fan insisting otherwise just isn't going to do much I'm afraid. Anyone can assert such things. Aunt May with no moral code would mess up Galactus and Spectre, anyone who disagrees with me is a racist and sexist. So on.

Oh okay so you are one of those fans who uses argumentum ad ignorantiam? Okay I am one of those fans who likes to consider more than just scans and feats, but writer input, writer intent, plot limitations and restrictions, creative reasoning, plot necessity, real world application of fictional writing, proper logic and reasoning techniques and so on. Thor gets blitzed by speedsters in Battles because a lot of comic fans are poor reasoners who conform to the majority and prefer inaccurate strong answers to accurate neutral answers. You probably won't enjoy trying to change my mind by virtue of that difference in attitudes regarding fictional characters sorry.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

Yeah crazy list putting Blackbolt on it but not Wolverine lolz lolz WTF WTF lolz

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Charlie_Jade

Doomsday, a guy with strength on par of Hulk, beat Superman TO DEATH. So its not impossible to wreck Superman, others like Darkseid and Wonder Woman have wrecked him

Kryptonite, telepathy, red sun radiation, magic can mess up Superman bad

and putting Sentry on the list makes it an auto fail,

She-Hulk beat him up, Hercules beat him up, Hulk beat him up, Thor killed him, Ms Marvel knocked him out when he was bloodlusted with the void, some random guy called antiman beat Sentry, Tony Stark beat him twice and Snetry's biggest problem, he's not even a hero.

Some writers like Bendis tried to make him a silverage style character and he would randomly pull 'one shot powers' out of his ass and save the day deus ex machina style, however the character was so badly shoehorned into 616 continuity Marvel decided it would be best to kill off this lame Superman rip off

He couldn't even die as a hero so he should never be in any top10 hero list

ever

No Caption Provided

@SC said:

Oh okay so you are one of those fans who uses argumentum ad ignorantiam? Okay I am one of those fans who likes to consider more than just scans and feats, but writer input, writer intent, plot limitations and restrictions, creative reasoning, plot necessity, real world application of fictional writing, proper logic and reasoning techniques and so on. Thor gets blitzed by speedsters in Battles because a lot of comic fans are poor reasoners

Thor gets blitzed in battles because he is proved to be slower than Flash and Surfer and Superman

Your reasoning involves plot and interpretation, plot induced stupidity is usually removed in battle forums because it has no logical reason to exist

PIS, is there to appease fans. It's why Hulk and Superman fight in slow motion exchanging blow for blow, its why Batman can fight Darkseid

this writing is fan writing, it appeals to the popularity contest, a fan voted contest with outcomes decided by writer intent, plot and PIS

which is why MarvelvsDC was a hugely popular comic in the 90s

No Caption Provided

.with no PIS

Thor is too slow to face many of the toptiers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Charlie_Jade said:

Do you agree?

top10

Ironman

Wolverine

Strange

Herc

Gladiator

HYPERION

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

He’s Superman, except he’s an Eternal, so he’s immortal. Immortal Superman. Strength, flight, speed, enhanced senses, atomic vision. This is assuming this is the Earth 712 version. There are other versions? Yes… but let’s not go into alternate universe versions of heroes, because my alternate version of Darkhawk makes Thanos quake in fear.Why he’s #5: Now we’re getting to differences being fractional. Could Hyperion beat Thor? Maybe. Can Hulk wipe the floor with Hyperion? Possibly. The differences between them is smaller than Ant-Man on a good day.

RED HULK

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Very similar to the Hulk: Massive amounts of strength, able to leap great distances. Red Hulk can also absorb radiation, like gamma or cosmic, and he also heats up when he gets angry.WHY HE’S #4: He’s kinda hit a ceiling. When he debuted, Red Hulk was an unstoppable, cunning Hulk. In Avengers vs. X-Men, Phoenix Five Namor snaps his arm like a twig and gives him a compound fracture. Nothing like that happened to Thor or Hulk… so he’s lost a lot of that initial power, if not literally, then in a story telling sense. He’s still a powerhouse, but he’s no longer as scary as the top 3.

THOR

POWERS AND ABILITIES: The immortal Norse god of thunder, Thor is an ageless warrior, proficient with numerous melee weapons, and wields Mjolnir, one of the most powerful weapons in existence. Thor also controls weather, and can induce lightning strikes, hurricane force winds, torrential wind and freezing snow.Why he’s #3: He is a GOD. Not like Hercules, half-god, but like a full on GOD. The guy can breathe in space, face down the Phoenix BY HIMSELF, and he’s battled Hulk to a stand still. Still, something about manipulating the Power Cosmic…

THE HULK

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Hulk is the strongest one there is. From lifting mountain ranges, to becoming a World Breaker, Hulk’s power is limited only by his rage. And if this is a battle to the death, rage is going to go a long way in ensuring survival.Why he’s #2: The number one guy can manipulate energy and destroy planets

SILVER SURFER

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Silver Surfer wields the Power Cosmic. Basically, he can travel faster than life, heal anything, survive black holes, destroy planets and wield power that is just ridiculous. If it weren’t for his curious, gentle nature, this guy could destroy entire planets.Why he’s #1: Wizard had him at #1, and I begrudgingly agree. I’m a big Superman guy, but I can’t argue with a guy with this much power..

http://blog.midtowncomics.com/top-10-toughest-marvel-superheroes/6195/

and who is hyperion?

He has super vision, he just lectured Thor on drinking and he doesn't need food but feeds on sunlight

and maybe....maybe....beat the hell out of Hulk

depending on reader interpretation cos there was a mind control thing happening....maybe

Hyperion has beat the Hulk so hard he transformed back into Banner

?

You do know that this is an entirely new Hyperion?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Charlie_Jade said:

Doomsday, a guy with strength on par of Hulk, beat Superman TO DEATH. So its not impossible to wreck Superman, others like Darkseid and Wonder Woman have wrecked him, Kryptonite, telepathy, red sun radiation, magic can mess up Superman bad

and putting Sentry on the list makes it an auto fail, She-Hulk beat him up, Hercules beat him up, Hulk beat him up, Thor killed him, Ms Marvel knocked him out when he was bloodlusted with the void, some random guy called antiman beat Sentry, Tony Stark beat him twice and Snetry's biggest problem, he's not even a hero.

Some writers like Bendis tried to make him a silverage style character and he would randomly pull 'one shot powers' out of his ass and save the day deus ex machina style, however the character was so badly shoehorned into 616 continuity Marvel decided it would be best to kill off this lame Superman rip off, He couldn't even die as a hero so he should never be in any top10 hero list

Thor gets blitzed in battles because he is proved to be slower than Flash and Surfer and Superman

Your reasoning involves plot and interpretation, plot induced stupidity is usually removed in battle forums because it has no logical reason to exist, PIS, is there to appease fans. It's why Hulk and Superman fight in slow motion exchanging blow for blow, its why Batman can fight Darkseid,this writing is fan writing, it appeals to the popularity contest, a fan voted contest with outcomes decided by writer intent, plot and PIS, which is why MarvelvsDC was a hugely popular comic in the 90s,.with no PIS,Thor is too slow to face many of the toptiers

Hi, first of all you are still discussing these characters as if their powers have concrete values as opposed to fluctuating values. What that means is many of the assertions you have made, are inconsistent. You assert Doomsday has strength on par with Hulk, give me an estimate to the ton of this supposed level of strength then please? Then you assert that its not impossible to "wreck" Superman, well naturally, he is a fictional character, they all have the potential to be wrecked, and Silver Surfer for one, has been physically beaten to the point of near death as well.

Hercules beat him up by... spinning around his cape? I think you and me have very different definitions of "beat up" Antiman isn't a random guy, he is Blue Marvels main antagonist. Ironically the guy who created Antiman and Blue Marvel thinks that Thor is stronger and would beat Superman in a fight. I guess he didn't get the memo.

Sentry's origin and creation was fundamentally tied into silver age concepts. Bendis didn't make him that way.

My reasoning considers plot and all fans suffer through interpretation, you just asserted Sentry was no hero when many fans, readers and writers consider him a hero, you just used interpretation just then. Plot induced stupidity is a term created by comic fans to lazy or ignorant to actually how and why decisions are made in comics, its not there to appease fans either, its there as way to identify inconsistency within comics. Stupidity is relative, a smart person could dismiss 90% of comics as stupid and then no one could have fun in Battles, but since the term PIUS was created to simplify the inconsistencies apparent in comics that would be counter intuitive. If Thor is "proven" to be slower than the characters you mention, why does he keep up with characters like Gladiator and Silver Surfer? The only thing that has been proven about Thor's speed is that its inconsistent and subjective. Sort of like all fictional characters powers.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By New_World_Order

@SC said:

@Charlie_Jade said:

Doomsday, a guy with strength on par of Hulk, beat Superman TO DEATH. So its not impossible to wreck Superman, others like Darkseid and Wonder Woman have wrecked him, Kryptonite, telepathy, red sun radiation, magic can mess up Superman bad

and putting Sentry on the list makes it an auto fail, She-Hulk beat him up, Hercules beat him up, Hulk beat him up, Thor killed him, Ms Marvel knocked him out when he was bloodlusted with the void, some random guy called antiman beat Sentry, Tony Stark beat him twice and Snetry's biggest problem, he's not even a hero.

Some writers like Bendis tried to make him a silverage style character and he would randomly pull 'one shot powers' out of his ass and save the day deus ex machina style, however the character was so badly shoehorned into 616 continuity Marvel decided it would be best to kill off this lame Superman rip off, He couldn't even die as a hero so he should never be in any top10 hero list

Your reasoning involves plot and interpretation, plot induced stupidity is usually removed in battle forums because it has no logical reason to exist, PIS, is there to appease fans. It's why Hulk and Superman fight in slow motion exchanging blow for blow, its why Batman can fight Darkseid,this writing is fan writing, it appeals to the popularity contest, a fan voted contest with outcomes decided by writer intent, plot and PIS, which is why MarvelvsDC was a hugely popular comic in the 90s,.with no PIS,Thor is too slow to face many of the toptiers

Hi, first of all you are still discussing these characters as if their powers have concrete values as opposed to fluctuating values. What that means is many of the assertions you have made, are inconsistent. You assert Doomsday has strength on par with Hulk, give me an estimate to the ton of this supposed level of strength then please? Then you assert that its not impossible to "wreck" Superman, well naturally, he is a fictional character, they all have the potential to be wrecked, and Silver Surfer for one, has been physically beaten to the point of near death as well.

Hercules beat him up by... spinning around his cape? I think you and me have very different definitions of "beat up" Antiman isn't a random guy, he is Blue Marvels main antagonist. Ironically the guy who created Antiman and Blue Marvel thinks that Thor is stronger and would beat Superman in a fight. I guess he didn't get the memo.

Sentry's origin and creation was fundamentally tied into silver age concepts. Bendis didn't make him that way.

My reasoning considers plot and all fans suffer through interpretation, you just asserted Sentry was no hero when many fans, readers and writers consider him a hero, you just used interpretation just then. Plot induced stupidity is a term created by comic fans to lazy or ignorant to actually how and why decisions are made in comics, its not there to appease fans either, its there as way to identify inconsistency within comics. Stupidity is relative, a smart person could dismiss 90% of comics as stupid and then no one could have fun in Battles, but since the term PIUS was created to simplify the inconsistencies apparent in comics that would be counter intuitive. If Thor is "proven" to be slower than the characters you mention, why does he keep up with characters like Gladiator and Silver Surfer? The only thing that has been proven about Thor's speed is that its inconsistent and subjective. Sort of like all fictional characters powers.

I agree. People on the battle forums took away all the fun in debating with this constant speed blitzing nonsense.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By catfightfan

Why no mighty Ben Grimm, aka the Thing, on this top 10 list?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like the fact that Hercules is on Midtown's list.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Viking's weren't the most intelligent people

That is a lie. Vikings was some of the best sailors. The got all the way to what is now Canada/USA long before columbus did. Also good fighters and traders (the made business as far as what is today Russian and Ukraine.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that ive never seen a list I agree with on more than a couple of selections, and it seems that most other comic fans feel the same way, is evidence that there is no totally definitive answer to this question. So when I see these I take them with a grain of salt and dont let them bother me.

Personally, I think Marvel is REALLY bad about Jobbing their heavy hitters, like Silver Surfer. I also think Thor and Hulk, when every aspect is considered, are generally overrated by their fandom.

Warpimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Quasar or Ms. Marvel?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.