Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Maryland Politician Condemns Comics in Campaign Ad

• 155 results
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Dr. Fredric Wertham's rhetoric is still going strong
    Dr. Fredric Wertham's rhetoric is still going strong
    EternalBiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By EternalBiker

Hey politian of maryland itss not the comic's that are the problem here 
    nor is it videogames or music.....!!! Its small minded hipocrits like you and  
    all the othier politions that are the problem with the present times...... 
    you and the economy are the problem you all are to dang greedy here and thas why  
    schools are sufferin and why there no jobs anywhere you all are just fillin your own pockets and your needs not  helpin the people of the country .................Seriously politians like you and all the rest stop slamin comcs for the down fall of education of the united states or anywhere its your own falts are country is in this mess and cause where to dang busy bailin out banks stockmarket and car companys thas the real problem !!!!!
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Politicians use fear-mongering and deep-seated prejudices to gain votes because it is easier, less time-consuming, and (unfortunately) often more successful than trying to engage the public on any kind of intelligent level. As long as the masses keep electing these superficial, pulpit-pounding hypocrites, they'll continue to use such tactics. The voters need to show they've had enough by refusing to elect these degenerates if we ever want to see such mockery of our electoral system (and our intelligence) end.

Bossjugg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bossjugg

this makes me sick to my stomach

Joe_E_Nigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Joe_E_Nigma

yeah, she's stupid. I'd like to see her read Grant Morrison's work and try to be intellectual enough to understand it. 

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @SumoSlamMan:
    awesome read regarding the Dean Trippe artical.  

But seriously, I've learned more about politics, social issues, creativity and friendship from comics not to mention morality thanks to Spider-Man.  

With great power comes great responsibility. You know Uncle Ben said that way back when, that line still sits with me everyday of my life. I just wish the people running our fair country understood just what the statement stood for.
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Spudsy

Just because she used comics in the ad does not mean she's necessarily launching a campaign against them, and calling the ad as such is a clear knee-jerk reaction to it. I think the message she is trying to portray is that all they will do is read comics, which is fine to a point, reading comics is great to keep a kids mind active on the use of the English language for example; however reading comics all the time in school instead of learning how to factor, add, subtract, multiple, and divide fractions during class time is not. In fact Ms. King has not even been quoted as saying comics will "rot kids brains" so pinning that title on her in both unfair and highly unprofessional on the behalf oh Mr. Pinchuk the author. Therefore I highly think he needs to reassess what is actually going on, and that is the use of a traditionally non-educational and easily accessible item (in comics) in replace of a traditional education setting (the class lecture). The point is a high percentage of those who see the commercial will not think of the things Mr. Pinchuk has wildly assume the ad has made, and neither should they, because there is no attack. This is just one man reading too far into things.

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By dr.x
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir:
    OGM  What is this  have they gone  out of their ever loving  mind now  I think we need to say  once  more  "NO MORE!" and shout it alway  to Maryland up to  Nancy King .so she hear it . 
    "NO MORE!"
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Korg
    @Spudsy said:
    " a traditionally non-educational and easily accessible item (in comics)"
    See, that's where you're completely and utterly wrong. Comics are educational, as you would know if you had even read this thread at all. I believe you owe an apology to Mr. Pinchuck, as well as everyone who has defended comics in this thread, including myself.
    Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

Maybe she had the kids reading comics symbolize another way of learning, a "what if..." scenario. But that's wishful thinking, and that's what I chose to interpret from that picture, lol there's no clear way to interpret what she meant unless she states comics are bad. The latter leaving the door open for some wise-guy like me who would love to mess with her campaign.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By jefprice

I'll be honest, while I don't know about this guy at all, I wouldn't put 80% of the comics on the stands in my kids hands. They don't need to be reading books with barely cover naked chicks, graphic sex and almost scratched "F@#$" bombs from Bendis, while getting Gay sex ed from DC and Marvel. Which as someone who reads almost everything out there, is pretty much everything out there except stuff designed just for kids. 

I don't think any of those kids in the pic are old enough to read the books they have ni their hands.

RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#62  Edited By RedHurricane24

She's just mad because she's not Superman's Lois. And, this is a classless tactic on her part. Makes a Democrat like myself ashamed of my own political party.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @jefprice:  which is why comic books now use a rating system, just like movies and video games. These systems are in place so that parents can make educated choices about what their kids do and do not read. Not all comics are intended for young children; some are geared toward teens or adults. 
    Your post seems to imply that you preview material before you allow your children to peruse it, and if this is indeed the case, I salute you. If more parents took this approach, such asinine debates would be irrelevant. 
    I find few things as insulting as when some "well-intentioned" parents group seeks to dictate what I, as an educated adult, should have access to, simply because they evidently can't be bothered to involve themselves enough in their kids' lives to supervise what media they are consuming.

P.S. I considered trying to address the "gay sex ed" part of your comment, but I decided not to, since I wasn't sure of exactly what you were saying, owing to the fact that your post was, with all due respect, structurally atrocious.
    ShawnMichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By ShawnMichael

Talk about control of a child's imagination...I remember as a child getting bible comics in the mail(suprisingly verry interesting) and I know more about the bible thanks to them than actually reading the bible.  

And Sherlock Holmes and Batman comics always put the brain to work. 

This is bogus and what happened to the happy meals at Mcdonalds it's an outrage, I was collecting them and Ionly got to having 2.... Now we got Batman the brave and the bold which is about almost the exact same thing.....
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Doesn't Nancy King know that there are comic books that are educational:
    Moby Dick
    Three Musketeers
    Treasure Island 
    The Iliad
    The Odyssey
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    The Man in the Iron Mask
    The Last of the Mohicans

and more.

If you ask me, she sounds worse than FREDRIC WERTHAM, the man who wanted to ban comics in the US CONGRESS back in 1954,

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#66  Edited By cbishop

Gee, Mr. Peabody, I don't like it here!  Let's get in the Wayback Machine and go back to 2010!

Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Spudsy
    @Korg: He gives no proof to the statement that comic books are educational nor that they are not traditionally non-educational and easily accessible items. I believe you owe me an apology for believing everything you read and not providing any proof of fact with anything you say. Also you say you are "defending comic books" but from what? There is no real attack on them in the campaign ads, and if so then please prove to me how there is one because I fail to see any verbal or written statement from her against comic books.
    Myninjadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Myninjadon
    @AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge said:
    "Doesn't Nancy King know that there are comic books that are educational: Moby Dick Three Musketeers Treasure Island The Iliad The Odyssey The Picture of Dorian Gray The Man in the Iron Mask The Last of the Mohicans  and more.  If you ask me, she sounds worse than FREDRIC WERTHAM, the man who wanted to ban comics in the US CONGRESS back in 1954, "

I agree with you on this.  I read a H.P. Lovecraft collection of short stories that were turned into comics.  Now even though he was a horror writer, the stories they chose were meant for kids.  I even just saw Enders Game by Orson Scott Card at the comic store by my house a couple of weeks ago.  That is a classic sci-fi book for kids.  im just flabber ghasted about  this. 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DH69

uggh what is this 1991? and within 20 years teachers will be out of a job anyway.

The only useful things taught in school

Science

Math

everything else is BS.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @DH69:  ...including proper grammar and sentence structure, apparently.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Korg
    @Spudsy said:

" @Korg: He gives no proof to the statement that comic books are educational"

Many people have contributed examples of this. I know it to be a fact myself, because I actually read comics. At least read the thread before you post. 

@Spudsy said:

" I believe you owe me an apology"

Do you really? 

@Spudsy said:

"believing everything you read"

What a fascinating and baseless assertion. 

@Spudsy said:

"Also you say you are "defending comic books" but from what?"

The persecution and ridicule of people like Ms. King and yourself. 

@Spudsy said:

" There is no real attack on them in the campaign ads, and if so then please prove to me how there is one because I fail to see any verbal or written statement from her against comic books. "

What you fail to see is still there. Your inability to see what the majority of people see is your own failing, and not one I can correct. 

Here's a link to a letter you should read that you probably didn't bother to:  http://deantrippe.tumblr.com/post/1016677386/an-open-letter-to-maryland-state-senator-nancy-king
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DH69
    @Shadow_Thief said:
    " @DH69:  ...including proper grammar and sentence structure, apparently. "

lol english was actually one of the classes i excelled in. im just to lazy to type correctly on the internet when everone else is just half assing it as well.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @DH69:  Now there's the truth of the matter. I have to concede that including any manner of communication as part of an educational curriculum seems futile when 98% of all social media is actively undermining it. Touche, my friend.
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Spudsy
    @Korg said:

" @Spudsy said:

" @Korg: He gives no proof to the statement that comic books are educational"
    Many people have contributed examples of this. I know it to be a fact myself, because I actually read comics. At least read the thread before you post. 

@Spudsy said:
    " I believe you owe me an apology"
    Do you really? 

@Spudsy said:
    "believing everything you read"
    What a fascinating and baseless assertion. 

@Spudsy said:
    "Also you say you are "defending comic books" but from what?"
    The persecution and ridicule of people like Ms. King and yourself. 

@Spudsy said:
    " There is no real attack on them in the campaign ads, and if so then please prove to me how there is one because I fail to see any verbal or written statement from her against comic books. "
    What you fail to see is still there. Your inability to see what the majority of people see is your own failing, and not one I can correct. "
    1. Many people have not given examples of HOW exactly she has attack comics. The picture is not offensive at all and there has been no official statement, either verbal or written that she has released that had attacked comic books. Debate that all you want, but it is in vain as that is pure fact. There is no direct quotes from Ms. King in this thread, nor is there any quotes from her campaign, therefore no attack on comic books have been made, and the OP is spinning something that doesn't exist with false words. 

2. Since I have and will continue to prove you wrong and you have highly disrespected me by making false accusations and putting words into my mouth, yes you owe me an apology, but I can and am willing to settle for a rain check on one if you so desire. 

3. My assertion is not baseless because you fail to prove me wrong in how everything the OP has said is true. The OP asserted that Ms. King said comic books are taking over schools and rot the minds of children, to which nothing to that effect has been quoted, linked to, or released from Ms. King or her camp, therefore making the assertions false, and making my assertion that you believe everything you have read in this post to be factual as true. 

4. I have not ridiculed or attack comic books in my statements and I would not obviously be on the site if I didn't enjoy them myself. You are making false statements by putting words into my mouth which is highly insulting because I believe you are refusing to look at the bigger picture in that the OP is wrong in what he has posted, as are those who believe he is some champion of justice from a truly non-existent and phantom threat. Also, since Ms. King has said nothing, done nothing, nor motion towards nothing negative in relation to comic books and simply put them in an ad to drive a point that school is for primarily studying material and the assessment of such (something that comic books can't do obviously, give personalized and comprehensive tests to students on newly learned material and then make judgments onto how to improve the amount of material a child has learned based on such assessment and improve upon the results) then she has neither ridiculed comics either. 

5. I do not fail to see anything. You fail to see that most people are getting upset because the OP has led them to believe that there is an assault on comic books by this politician, yet the OP has failed to produce hard evidence to prove such point and has only posted a picture related to the topic at hand which is not all that insulting and can be interpreted in multiple ways. Therefore, since no common ground can be found on how to interpret the ad, the basis of the ad being an "attack on comics" is merely opinion and not factual. This means that the OP has made a claim that he cannot back with sufficient evidence, therefore making it fictitious. My disagreement with most posters does not mean I am wrong contrary to your beliefs and therefore since the OP is fictitious, I have no failed to see anything and that I can say that so far you have failed to see that the OP is as such or, at the minimum, that this article lacks evidence to make a judgment of such beyond a reasonable doubt. 

Also the letter still fails to contain any statements by Ms. King herself and therefore is solely the opinion of the writer, whose objectivity can be reasonably doubted, and fairly labeled as bias.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By Magian

Clearly not a well-thought campaign.

Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Spudsy
    @ComicMan24: That's certainly true to the point it's caused this much backlash on her yes, but I think those in the comic industry trying to rally against her and that type of voter actually in her constituency will be minimum compared to who the ad will persuade, so I think she won't have too big a problem brushing off the backlash with a miniscule amount of PR work unfortunately.
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By greenenvy

This is bullshit because there are fine works of great classic  literature that all kids studied are now  being  adapted into comic form such as William Shakespeare etc.... plus the master of all inspiring imagination that is Disney will fix your asses to show how comics can bee good again for every single person and  thats a fact so show them Disney. 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By Magian
    @Spudsy said:
    " @ComicMan24: That's certainly true to the point it's caused this much backlash on her yes, but I think those in the comic industry trying to rally against her and that type of voter actually in her constituency will be minimum compared to who the ad will persuade, so I think she won't have too big a problem brushing off the backlash with a miniscule amount of PR work unfortunately. "
    I agree.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Korg
    @Spudsy said:
    "1. Many people have not given examples of HOW exactly she has attack comics."
    So you couldn't even bother to read an entire post this time? I said many have provided examples of how comics are educational.

@Spudsy said:
    "My assertion is not baseless"
    Actually, it is in fact completely baseless. I have read about this elsewhere, so this post is not my only source of information on the topic in any case. I can't say I'm surprised that you ignored the link to Bleeding Cool, who broke the story. 

@Spudsy said:
    " I have not ridiculed or attack comic books in my statements "
    Of course, claiming that comics have no educational value and ignoring blatant evidence to the contrary couldn't possibly be construed as such. 

@Spudsy said:
    "I do not fail to see anything."
    That's not what you said: 

@Spudsy said:
    "There is no real attack on them in the campaign ads, and if so then please prove to me how there is one becauseI fail to seeany"

@Spudsy said:
    "You fail to see that most people are getting upset because the OP has led them to believe that there is an assault on comic books by this politician, yet the OP has failed to produce hard evidence to prove such point and has only posted a picture related to the topic at hand which is not all that insulting and can be interpreted in multiple ways."
    I see that many people are upset because they saw this story, and if they are anything like myself, took an interest in it, and actually read the article linked in the OP. The "hard evidence" is right in front of your face. As I said, what you fail to see is still there, and many people take issue with it. I find it somewhat amusing that you admit the picture can be interpreted in multiple ways, this just isn't one of them. 

@Spudsy said:
    " Therefore, since no common ground can be found on how to interpret the ad"
    Yes, there has been nothing but debate about this particular topic. There is no common ground shared by everyone in this thread save yourself. Are you really this delusional? 

@Spudsy said:
    " This means that the OP has made a claim that he cannot back with sufficient evidence"
    This is completely a matter of your own personal opinion on the matter. The picture is sufficient evidence for many. 

@Spudsy said:
    " this article lacks evidence to make a judgment of such beyond a reasonable doubt"
    It's a good thing this isn't a courtroom then, isn't it? 

@Spudsy said:
    " Also the letter still fails to contain any statements by Ms. King herself and therefore is solely the opinion of the writer, whose objectivity can be reasonably doubted, and fairly labeled as bias. "
    So anything that runs contrary to your beliefs, including the word of a former teacher who says that comics are beneficial to the learning process is bias. Got it. No way you are reaching to rationalize your desire to paint Ms. King in a good light here. None at all. No bias on your part.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @Spudsy:  While I'm honestly enjoying this little debate you two are having, and I don't necessarily disagree with most of your points, there is one matter I would ask for a little clarification on, that being your assertion that the ad is "is not all that insulting and can be interpreted in multiple ways." While I will readily concede that the ad is not a direct attack on comics (it is, after all, about keeping teachers in our schools, which is something I think most people can get behind), I have trouble not seeing the ad as being rather insulting to comic books in general, as it pretty clearly seems to imply that with fewer teachers, children will read more comics.

If this is not intended to imply that reading comics is not a positive activity for children, the only other interpretation I can get out of this would be something to the effect of "it doesn't matter if children lose their teachers, because comic books are an acceptable substitute,"  which falls somewhere between utterly ridiculous and eating truck tires while wearing a pink bunny suit insane. 
    Rosebunse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rosebunse
    @Shadow_Thief:
    Same here. This ad is clearly hanging onto the old steriotype that comics are evil or only for dumb people. What evidense is there that reading comics hurt you? Most of the people I know who read them may not be the best socializers, but they're pretty well-rounded. I know I shouldn't post this here, but it's just so stupid. Why not blame real threats, like hunger and the underexposure so many children in our country have to books? Anything that gets these kids reading is 90% a good thing.
    Rosebunse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Rosebunse
    @Spudsy:
    If there are no good teachers, then kids will read comics because they are too dumb to read anything else is what is implied, thus saying that comics are dumb and bad.
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SirSparkington

This is even stupider than politicians who ride on video game violence as an issue. I thought the whole comics being bad thing died out in the 50s.

ugli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ugli

Wow... What a horribly old-fashioned stereotype on the comic industry.  The picture isn't even relevant to their campaign, as most youths spend their time playing video games, on the internet, watching tv, or texting.  I've only seen one student, in the two years I've been teaching, read comic books...

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @SirSparkington:  Politicians would happily imply that hybrid cars were invented by Satan and powered by the souls of murdered infants if they honestly thought it would get them votes (or lobbyist money).
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Spudsy
    @Korg said:

" @Spudsy said:

"1. Many people have not given examples of HOW exactly she has attack comics."

So you couldn't even bother to read an entire post this time? I said many have provided examples of how comics are educational.

@Spudsy said:

"My assertion is not baseless"

Actually, it is in fact completely baseless. I have read about this elsewhere, so this post is not my only source of information on the topic in any case. I can't say I'm surprised that you ignored the link to Bleeding Cool, who broke the story. 

@Spudsy said:

" I have not ridiculed or attack comic books in my statements "

Of course, claiming that comics have no educational value and ignoring blatant evidence to the contrary couldn't possibly be construed as such. 

@Spudsy said:

"I do not fail to see anything."

That's not what you said: 

@Spudsy said:

"There is no real attack on them in the campaign ads, and if so then please prove to me how there is one becauseI fail to seeany"

@Spudsy said:

"You fail to see that most people are getting upset because the OP has led them to believe that there is an assault on comic books by this politician, yet the OP has failed to produce hard evidence to prove such point and has only posted a picture related to the topic at hand which is not all that insulting and can be interpreted in multiple ways."

I see that many people are upset because they saw this story, and if they are anything like myself, took an interest in it, and actually read the article linked in the OP. The "hard evidence" is right in front of your face. As I said, what you fail to see is still there, and many people take issue with it. I find it somewhat amusing that you admit the picture can be interpreted in multiple ways, this just isn't one of them. 

@Spudsy said:

" Therefore, since no common ground can be found on how to interpret the ad"

Yes, there has been nothing but debate about this particular topic. There is no common ground shared by everyone in this thread save yourself. Are you really this delusional? 

@Spudsy said:

" This means that the OP has made a claim that he cannot back with sufficient evidence"

This is completely a matter of your own personal opinion on the matter. The picture is sufficient evidence for many. 

@Spudsy said:

" this article lacks evidence to make a judgment of such beyond a reasonable doubt"

It's a good thing this isn't a courtroom then, isn't it? 

@Spudsy said:

" Also the letter still fails to contain any statements by Ms. King herself and therefore is solely the opinion of the writer, whose objectivity can be reasonably doubted, and fairly labeled as bias. "

So anything that runs contrary to your beliefs, including the word of a former teacher who says that comics are beneficial to the learning process is bias. Got it. No way you are reaching to rationalize your desire to paint Ms. King in a good light here. None at all. No bias on your part. "
    Let's look at this real slow so you can understand, and maybe afterwards I'll give you a lolipop for your efforts, or does that offend other lolipop lovers? 

1. I did. I can prove some comics are education yes, but I asked HOW Mr. King is ATTACKING comic books, not how they are or are not educational. And you say I fail to see some things. 

2. It is still baseless. The original story still failed to show any statement or quote, or anything that had Ms. King directly attack comic books, so saying that she is is baseless, because since no hard evidence, in this topic or the letter link or the original story break, has arisen, the objectivity of the person who broke the original story and the letter writer, and the OP here are all in massive question. 

3. I never claimed they weren't educational you half-witted bloke. I said traditionally they were not known to be. In other words, we buy comics primarily because they are entertaining, not educational, so traditionally they are non-educational in this basis. That doesn't mean they still can't be, they can be just as educational as the next thing, but traditionally and primarily they are for entertainment. Even you can agree with that. 

4. I did not say I failed to see anything. I said I do not see why the OP's comment are being hailed as all truth. Surely the massively informal writing style gives away that this topic is an opinion editorial, and as such, this means that the OP has interpreted that there is an attack on comic books, one that has yet to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and therefore since it cannot be, is fictitious. In blue-collar terms for you: the OP is bias and wrong. You're level of intellect in deciphering the information presented is about as poor as those who think the proposed New York City Muslim community center is going to throw the city's money to Hamas. 

5. There is no hard evidence. Everything presented in the three articles has been opinion, which cannot and will never be labeled as hard evidence. You fail to see the simple fact that these 3 articles are opinions and nothing more. 

6. There is no common ground because any amount of reasonable doubt shows that labeling the ad as an attack is presumptuous and cannot be backed due to lack of sufficient evidence. All they are backed with is arguments or debates, which is not evidence merely OPINION (have you looked that word up yet and have I driven that point through your thick skull yet?). 

7. The picture does not attack comic books in my opinion. Now since we have debated this back and forth it is clear to anyone with even a sliver a brain that functions properly that this topic is centered around arguments and nothing else, therefore while your interpretation of it may make it offense to you, it doesn't to me, and while it may seem that most people on here find it offensive for one reason or another, it does not mean either side, you or me is right. Proof of this is that just because majority opinion said slavery was ok and then the blacks not having a right to vote was ok did not make those decisions morally correct because of majority opinion either. 

8. There's nothing I can say to this statement because while you are trying to act very brash and pompus, it only has you come off sounding like a half-witted bloke. 

9. I am not arguing that the former teacher is wrong in saying comic books aren't beneficial to learning. If you stop putting words in my mouth maybe you can actually listen to what I am trying to reasonably tell you. Don't interpret my words how you want to see them, interpret them as they were written. To do otherwise is clearly poppycock. I also did not say anything that runs contrary to my belief is wrong I have actually said exactly the opposite in that I am neither right nor wrong, but just stating an opinion I feel needs to be expressed. You also fail to quote me in full, taking most of my speech out of context, and I really wish you would stop doing so because you insult and berate my intelligence and ability to say what I want to say, something to which you should also need to apologize for.  The letter gives NO INDICATION to what EXACTLY was said or done by Ms. King's camp to attack comics and so since there is no hard evidence again supporting such claim, the letter's author's objectivity (a word for a big boy like you to look up) can be reasonably questioned. 

@Rosebunse:      

This is still kind of dodgey because then you are implying that all kids are dumb, but your point is still made yes.

@Shadow_Thief
     said: 

@Spudsy:  While I'm honestly enjoying this little debate you two are having, and I don't necessarily disagree with most of your points, there is one matter I would ask for a little clarification on, that being your assertion that the ad is "is not all that insulting and can be interpreted in multiple ways." While I will readily concede that the ad is not a direct attack on comics (it is, after all, about keeping teachers in our schools, which is something I think most people can get behind), I have trouble not seeing the ad as being rather insulting to comic books in general, as it pretty clearly seems to imply that with fewer teachers, children will read more comics.  If this is not intended to imply that reading comics is not a positive activity for children, the only other interpretation I can get out of this would be something to the effect of "it doesn't matter if children lose their teachers, because comic books are an acceptable substitute,"  which falls somewhere between utterly ridiculous and eating truck tires while wearing a pink bunny suit insane.  "

A very valid argument indeed, and from that angle certainly the ad's potential offensive nature comes true because there is no other alternative. Nice input. I still do not find it insulting, but I can clearly see why you do.    
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @Spudsy:  Upon further reflection, I suppose the intention of the ad could just be to show "kids being kids," and leaving the reader to imagine for himself or herself what dire fate would await these innocent little gremlins if left without the guidance of quality educators, but I've just seen far too many many slanderous political ads to so readily accept that this one is willing to respect the audience's intelligence enough to include that kind of ambiguity. Call me cynical. ;)
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Spudsy
    @Shadow_Thief: And I would actually think your first impression would be more closer to what is really being portrayed.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Korg
    @Spudsy said: 

" I asked HOW Mr. King is ATTACKING comic books, not how they are or are not educational. "

This is what you posted, and what I posted in response:

@Korg

said: 

@Spudsy said: 

@Korg: He gives no proof to the statement that comic books are educational"

Many people have contributed examples of this. I know it to be a fact myself, because I actually read comics. At least read the thread before you post. "
    Get some help with your reading comprehension. Seriously. You just referred to Nancy King as "Mr."

@Spudsy
     said: 

" I never claimed they weren't educational you half-witted bloke. I said traditionally they were not known to be."

Traditionally? Whose traditions are these? Yours? As has been pointed out by many people, these views belong in the 1950's, not in the 21st century. 

@Spudsy

said: 

" I did not say I failed to see anything. "

You literally said those exact words. I even quoted them back to you. 

@Spudsy

said: 

" There is no hard evidence."

Not by your own personal set of standards, no. For most everyone else, there is. 

@Spudsy

said: 

"There is no common ground"

Yes, there is. A tremendous amount of it, in fact. 

@Spudsy

said: 

"The picture does not attack comic books in my opinion"

Hey, maybe you're not hopeless after all! 

@Spudsy

said: 

"There's nothing I can say to this statement "

Sorry your attempt to make this sound like a legal proceeding didn't go over well. 

@Spudsy

said: 

"I am not arguing that the former teacher is wrong in saying comic books aren't beneficial to learning. If you stop putting words in my mouth maybe you can actually listen to what I am trying to reasonably tell you. Don't interpret my words how you want to see them, interpret them as they were written."

I didn't say you were arguing that the former teacher was wrong. Maybe you should take your own advice about putting words in people's mouths. I merely acknowledged that you completely disregarded his letter as being "bias", without even giving any indication as to what he might be biased towards. You seem to have some trouble interpreting your own words as they are written, as I have shown multiple times at this point. 

@Spudsy

said: 

"You also fail to quote me in full"

You fail to quote me at all. We both know what you wrote, why should I read it all back to you? Is it that difficult to keep track of the conversation? 

@Spudsy

said: 

"I really wish you would stop doing so"

Well, no luck there. I will continue to post in any format I please. Feel free to do the same.

@Spudsy

said:

" objectivity (a word for a big boy like you to look up)"

No offense chum, but this makes you look like a bit of a pompous bloke.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @Spudsy:  Sadly, that's probably true. The really ironic thing about this whole issue is that so many politicians enjoy jumping on the "____ is corrupting our youth" bandwagon when our revered statesmen (and women) seldom turn out to be such stellar role models, themselves.
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Spudsy
    @Korg: 
    1. Many repliers did yes but the OP did not, and as a staff member that is massively disappointing, which is what I am trying to say. Also that is not what you posted in the previous comment, so again stop taking and spinning words into the context you want them to be. 

2. When you quote the whole paragraph, like before, you are once again incorrect. Stop taking words out of context. 

3. Words were taken out of context, therefore this makes your argument irrelevant and baseless. 

4. Refer to number 3. 
    5. Refer to number 3. 
    6. Refer to number 3. 
    7. Refer to number 3. 
    8. Refer to number 3. 

9. You implied that I was by not arguing on the previous point I made. Again do not interpret the words the way you want to interpret them, do so in the way and context that they were written. 

10. I have quoted your responses in full (bar this one), so you are incorrect here. You do not read my words back to me you take them out of context to interpret them incorrectly. This is a bias you have and are insulting me with by trying to act superior. I have decided to revoke your right to a lolipop because of this. 

11, Then feel free to be a half-witted bloke like I said. If I can't educate you in these simple terms maybe Maryland's schools can. 

12. An eye for an eye. You're just mad a very valid argument in opposition of your beliefs has been made and then you have been proven wrong by such multiple times. 

@Shadow_Thief: Unfortunately the only thing I can say to that is that yes it is a huge bandwagon we constantly see but, se la ve. That's part of being the minority of society that enjoys comics, you take the good with the bad.    
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#92  Edited By lorex

This is just another politician looking for a sound bite to get their name on the news, plain and simple. Its easy to attack thinks in popular culture many before her have done so. Personally I think her attention should be on helping people who can't read, or creating jobs, or any relevant issue of the day rather than what a relatively small portion of the population read during their free time.

Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Spudsy
    @lorex: It is though, it's a springboard for teachers' jobs.
    BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By BURNTHEPRIEST

I feel sorry for her kids but then again I hope she doesn't or will not have any...

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Korg
    @Spudsy said:
    " Also that is not what you posted in the previous comment"
    Your inability to read things properly is no fault of mine.

@Spudsy
    said:
    " Words were taken out of context, therefore this makes your argument irrelevant and baseless."
    I didn't realize you weren't even reading the words YOU wrote. That is something else. You know exactly what the context is. It is in this thread.

@Spudsy said:
    " You're just mad a very valid argument in opposition of your beliefs has been made"
    No, I'm really not, because no such valid argument has been presented. Just your delusional views on the topic, which are strangely at odds with the majority, who I can safely assume are all "half-witted blokes".

The fact that you created an account specifically for this thread speaks volumes. I've heard what you have to say, and it's utter nonsense. Goodnight, and good luck living with your naivete, if it is in fact real.
    Spudsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Spudsy
    @Korg said:
    " @Spudsy said:
    " Also that is not what you posted in the previous comment"
    Your inability to read things properly is no fault of mine.

@Spudsy
    said:
    " Words were taken out of context, therefore this makes your argument irrelevant and baseless."
    I didn't realize you weren't even reading the words YOU wrote. That is something else. You know exactly what the context is. It is in this thread.

@Spudsy said:
    " You're just mad a very valid argument in opposition of your beliefs has been made"
    No, I'm really not, because no such valid argument has been presented. Just your delusional views on the topic, which are strangely at odds with the majority, who I can safely assume are all "half-witted blokes". The fact that you created an account specifically for this thread speaks volumes. I've heard what you have to say, and it's utter nonsense. Goodnight, and good luck living with your naivete, if it is in fact real. "
    1. Your inability to debate at any kind of level is no fault of mine either. Don't look this way for self-pity, you ain't finding it. 

2. Because this certainly makes your points THAT much more valid yes. Let's try to insult someone who disagree because we fell we're superior because more people agree with you. Get over yourself buddy. Ego check, Isles 1-15. 

3. No I don't assume all people are half-witted blokes, because obviously I have discussed with others on a much more meaningful and posh manner. You seem unable to present a decent argument in opposition to mine and have been left to spin, quote out of context, and insult me to try and prove you are somehow superior. Yes I created this account to debate this because I am just as passionate about comics as you, but that fact holds no base and speaks no volumes. Just because my account is new does not value your opinions higher than mine, nor will it ever. That's the basic principle in the 1st amendment you moron, so you can continue to try and dismiss my arguments as non-sense, but I am waiting to hear you take a full point of mine and not play schmantics like you insist on bloody doing instead of actually go point to point, because apparently you cannot. Good luck living in your fantasy where your opinion is always the law of the land and right and higher than others that disagree with you, because to me and I'm sure many people here tonight that you proved to, you're just about as smart as a school boy who jams a wet fork into an electrical outlet just to see what the outcome is. Bloody shocking, that's what the results are.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#97  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

This really has been the week of the stupid little people.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#98  Edited By Meteorite

Someone's got a bicycle pump embedded in their skull....

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By Chaos Burn

you'd think there is bigger things to worry about than comics... drugs, child pornography, terrorism...

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#100  Edited By CaptainUseless

For the love of- I hate politicians!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.