Maryland Politician Condemns Comics in Campaign Ad

• 156 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 The horror... the horror...

If you thought that proposed boycott of McDonalds' “violent” FANTASTIC FOUR-themed Happy Meals was asinine, prepare for an even more tactless campaign against comics. Maryland democrat Nancy King is running for the Senate and her platform's against education cutbacks. And that's all well and good. The slogan is “Imagine if they had to lay off teachers…”

You could complete that sentence in any number of ways and convey the threat of a scaled-back teaching body with any number of images. Perhaps scenes of over-crowded classrooms? Or a line chart showing steadily-diminishing test scores? Nah... those aren't visceral enough. Hey, how about a picture of kids reading comics? That’s right, King’s campaign has utilized the word/picture juxtaposition typical to comics to identity comics readership as a harmful consequence of a hindered education system. 

‘Cause comics will rot kids' brains, right?    == TEASER ==

I don’t really want to get into an arguing with this kind of outdated sentiment. It should be obvious to any reasonable person. Reading with Pictures is a great advocacy group for using comics as part of education. G-Man used to keep comics in his classroom back when he was teaching math - - he even decorated the walls with pages. And, as I’ve mentioned, comics got me out of a 2nd Grade remedial reading class a lot more effectively than the Ritalin my teacher was pushing for. 

King’s done a great job of alienating some potential supporters by playing on old stereotypes and whipping an old scapegoat. Bleeding Cool brought this to everybody’s attention and I hope it’s going to spread, as these viral memes are wont to do. I hope it gets the attention of Marvel and DC’s big powerful parent companies, Disney and Warner Bros. I hope they slap her campaign with a nice, tidy cease-and-desist order for using their trademarked products, in clear view, without permission.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

#1 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm....

#2 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the most infuriating thing I have ever seen in my life. Are they actually suggesting reading comics makes you dumb!?! I'm speechless.

#3 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

I just googled her and found out she's a Democrat, like Obama...  

I am 100 percent sure he wouldn't approve of this!
#4 Edited by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah and giving a comic to a schizo makes him violent after all I'm an expert.

#5 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Considering Obama was in a comic I dont think he would approve of this. She has to be one of the dumbest people next to Sarah Palin of course. I mean In my opinion there are some comics that should be mandatory reading for high school. I honestly believe that Watchmen should be mandatory reading for 12th grade students.

#6 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

So stupid, I bet she is a closet comic book reader too!

#7 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

it's like I said yesterday when someone was complaining about the Green Arrow #3 cover...and I quote myself:

"comics are under so much scrutiny now a days and are being attacked on so many fronts....the last thing we need is a comic book reader complaining about the content of them...you should be defending covers like this instead of complaining about them"

we as comic book readers need to gang together and do whatever we can to get rid of this backwards kind of thinking that comics are bad for today's youth

#8 Posted by Joey Ravn (385 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Instead of complaining about comic books they need to deal with the Anne Arundel county school board president and his charges of sexual harassment.  There are way bigger fish to fry, people need to stop projecting their ignorant views on different mediums because they're unable to handle the more pressing issues.

#10 Posted by Zghost (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously this is insane.  I hate voting season enough as it is, (yes I vote I just hate all the ads), but this just makes me so mad.  I helped teach my brother how to read from pokemon card and comics back in the day when his English skills were a little lacking for his age.  Comics are being used in college course to discuss philosophy in a modern sense now a days, so are colleges wrong to use them too? 

#11 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. If they cut teachers kids would read more. That's what your ad just told me. Who needs teachers when you're reading Brubaker-goodness? I'll tell you who. Not me.

#12 Posted by Zghost (100 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chibi-Iroh said:
" Yeah Considering Obama was in a comic I dont think he would approve of this. She has to be one of the dumbest people next to Sarah Palin of course. I mean In my opinion there are some comics that should be mandatory reading for high school. I honestly believe that Watchmen should be mandatory reading for 12th grade students. "
Totally agree, its as good as reading 1984.
#13 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

them previews eh,
rot your brain

#14 Edited by SuperGamera (565 posts) - - Show Bio

this is nonsense . comics like Watchmen have made me a smarter person. Like today in my law class I read about a criminal case which I guarantee was in Watchmen it was about whether or not it was a crime to not help someone who was being murdered, as in the case of   Kitty Genovese, which I learned about from Watchmen.

#15 Edited by rlmay3 (256 posts) - - Show Bio

This is impeccable timing considering Baltimore Comic-Con, the biggest comics event in Maryland, is THIS weekend. I forgot everyone at BCC is just a shambling shell of a human being because they read comic books. I didn't realize we were still living in the 50's when peoplethought comics damaged your brain.

Also, do you think she got the respective copyrights to use these comics in an ad criticizing them?

@iLLituracy said:

" Nice. If they cut teachers kids would read more. That's what your ad just told me. Who needs teachers when you're reading Brubaker-goodness? I'll tell you who. Not me. "

Boy, kids would really be menaces to society. They'd be hanging out of comic shops talking about who would win in a battle between Superman or Wolverine instead of, y'know... committing crimes or what not. Maryland would really go to the dogs then.
#16 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to c the source 4 this imfournation 
Comic not rot mi bran 
Comic no bad fr litle cheldran

#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

*facepalm*

#18 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

thats pisses me OFF!!! COMIC BOOKS TAUGHT ME HOW TO READ!

#19 Posted by Green Lantern 2814.5 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously!? Most comic story arcs have deeper moral and ethical questions than many books the require you to read in school. If anything, comics teach you more about the human condition and society as a whole than the Pythagorean theorem or the periodic table, which is much more important if you ask me.

#20 Edited by SumoSlamMan (69 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow really Comic Books rot kids minds what are they wanting kids to be now Mindless Robots???

Comic Books are the reason why I want to be a Writer and a Writing Teacher in general.. Heck if it werent for guys like Alan Moore, Frank Miller , Will Eisner, Neil Gaiman and other greats I would not have even been reading and writing the way I do... If it werent for Comics I would not have read other great works that are not in the Comic realm..

#22 Posted by sparty-dbq (777 posts) - - Show Bio

Pikture book mak me dumm?  That's unpossible!

#23 Posted by Hi I'm New (300 posts) - - Show Bio

just for her I'm going to buy extra comics at comic-con on saturday

#24 Posted by DarthStorm (130 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just stupid. I learned to read from Spiderman, so don't tell me that they are bad Ms. King. 

#25 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

really ? 

#26 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zghost said:
" @Chibi-Iroh said:
" Yeah Considering Obama was in a comic I dont think he would approve of this. She has to be one of the dumbest people next to Sarah Palin of course. I mean In my opinion there are some comics that should be mandatory reading for high school. I honestly believe that Watchmen should be mandatory reading for 12th grade students. "
Totally agree, its as good as reading 1984. "
It is also a really good model for debate and discussion.
#27 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

two things help me read as a kid 
pokemon games and comicbooks 
this is just clutching at straws cos she has no real policies or ideas 
idiot

#28 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

At least they gave those kids comics for the ad. Maybe those are three new comic readers.

#29 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5416 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't enjoy reading as much as I do if I didn't start off with comics... :).....and my spelling would be even worse.
#30 Posted by gambitpryde1993 (160 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chibi-Iroh: Amen. It is so deep. It's a great alternate history book and has a lot of political view points like Rorschach's right wing stance and Ozymandia's extreme materialism.
#31 Posted by grayrick949 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG the children are reading something we are all doomed ... DOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEDD

#32 Posted by gambitpryde1993 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I am actually writing a 20 page thesis paper on how military heroes haven't changed from Achilles and Gilgamesh to Wolverine and Iron Man. I'm using Wolverine, Iron Man, Batman, and Rorschach. And all the old Silver Age comics from the 1960s use all these big words, so I don't know what her problem is

#33 Posted by grayrick949 (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham:  well one is reading a comic the other 2 look like they are reading previews, cheep political people did not even buy them all real comics
#34 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gray949: You're right. Those Bastards!
#35 Posted by d1r3i9c0e (3 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to believe (and at the same time not quite) that some people still make the false connection between comic books and delinquency. Communication through pictographs is one of the oldest and most widely recognizable forms of art and communication. Even though many comics are printed in English, they very much transcend any one language. However, politicians will use any topic, subject matter, or platform that they or their "advisers" feel is a good jumping point. It's unfortunate that comics got caught in this age old scheme.

#36 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

reading is reading. it excerises your brain and thus i dont see whats wrong with reading history textbooks, novels, manga or comicbooks. at least there not setting themselves on fire or killing people or having underaged sex etc.let them read!!!

#37 Edited by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

OH, COME ON! I WANTED TO BE A BIOCHEMIST FOR COMICS, MY FAVOURITE HERO AS KID WAS SPIDERMAN, FOR ME HE WASN'T A BAD EXAMPLE, I EVEN GOT A LOT OF ISSUES FROM ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN AND GOOD GRADES AT THE SAME TIME, AND THEY ARE NO AN EVIL THING, RIGHT?  
#38 Posted by Dro (941 posts) - - Show Bio

Those silly politicians! What won't they say to get elected?

#39 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

That's stupid, I got my love for English and writing from comics, plus, they taught me how to and got me into reading.

#40 Posted by JeffreyBrown (51 posts) - - Show Bio

people like this make me wonder what the world if were run by fools like this senator Nancy king and glen beck , or Sara pailin . I mean people like this makes a person want to either kill themselves because they want to people to live the way they already live and that is in fear and selfishness , not even having any real imagination  or a lack of vision . I mean novels are good and all but comic books in my view enhance an vocabulary  just the same as a well written novel or prose or a collection of  novellas written by the likes of Stephen king  . but this woman sees the future of america as either trying to become like herself a selfshish brainless political sheep who does what ever peoplelike herself or like glen beck eho is afreade of even his own hsadow aor like a person wtih

#41 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Lantern 2814.5 said:
"Seriously!? Most comic story arcs have deeper moral and ethical questions than many books they require you to read in school." 

I agree with that. Don't get me wrong, there is some good literature out there besides comics, but to assume that the comics are bad for you is just out of line.  

This lady has been terribly misinformed.

#42 Posted by JeffreyBrown (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@BuddyBulson: is it me or is this lady listen to glen beck or what ? 
is she really that stupid ?
oh and dont forget about the copyright laws being broken here in clear view for all  to see. 
but I think that this lady is clearly a moron who lived under a rock . heck if she thinks thats bad then what is her stance on novels who almost use either more or less than what a comic book uses for its subject matter .
conan vs Wolverine

#43 Edited by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

The dumbest person ever, doesn't she know Obama reads comic books!?

#44 Posted by maxdun360 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I vote Libertarian :D

#45 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who's grown up in Maryland, I for one am not the least bit suprised. 

Because most politicians here are MORONS 

That being said, vote for Batman 2012
#46 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (31 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to question if she or her people got permission to even show those comics as her campaign ad.  I mean it still is an advertisement and isn't there something that forbids people from taking someone else made and using it in something of their own for their own personal gain?  But I could be wrong about that, but still this whole thing is just plain dirty.

#47 Posted by Ban_Dark (22 posts) - - Show Bio

that's shame.

#48 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

See, it's imbeciles like this that make me a political absurdist.

#49 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just plain stupid on two very obvious levels that have already been covered. Comics help people (not just kids) learn. This ad uses copyrights that this campaign was very clearly not given permission to use. I don't think this woman will be re-elected. She'll be lucky if her campaign isn't bankrupted. That's blatant defamation of entire companies. Hell, an entire industry. One with a fairly vocal advocates. This ad is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I want to speak to this woman very badly, to explain to her how stupid she is, just for approving this. Never mind if she actually believes it or not.

#50 Posted by Black Lantern Mar-vell (2028 posts) - - Show Bio
@BuddyBulson said:
"thats pisses me OFF!!! COMIC BOOKS TAUGHT ME HOW TO READ! "

Me too!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.