Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel's Inordinate Crossovers

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By darth_brendroid

I was just having a look on Wiki at the Stepford Cuckoo's article and found my way onto Chaos War, when I had a look at a table of Marvel's crossover chronology. It seems as if in the 1980's and 1990's, they had about 7 crossovers. That'd be about one every year and a bit on average. Then you look at the 2000's, and it says there were 12 in the last decade. Then, for the 2010's, it says there were about 7 last year; that's almost one new crossover every 2 months =/ I guess what I'm getting at is this: does anyone believe that Marvel is obsessed with crossovers and should slow down a bit, or that this trend by Marvel is perhaps an okay thing?
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By queenfrost_

Marvel is consumed by crossovers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

More like comic fans can't say no, and that even if the company tells you you can just read the main series, they catch so many people with the, BUT, if you read this tie in as well you'll, and then instead of people buying good comics, they'll but comics that supposedly have a purpose and relate to other comics and matter and all that. Which has its own problems.  

I think this is a bad thing. but the alternative is a bad thing as well. Its like a Leroy Brown and Michael Jackson love child situation. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Don't try to make it out like DC doesn't do the same thing. They may not have as many crossovers, but their crossovers you need to buy all the corresponding titles or you'll be lost. First hand is Final Crisis, if you just read the main books you'll never know what caused this to happen. Its part of a crossover, if you don't like it don't read it, its that simple.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By darth_brendroid
    @Nova`Prime`:
    I'm not at all, it's just I was looking at Marvel crossovers at the time and it was that which I was a bit more curious about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.