Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvelous..well not so much.

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By KumoriKunoichi

So there are a few things I need to get off my chest. This has been bothering me and I am sure there are a number of things that bother others about Marvel lately. However, to not seem like a pessimist, I will start with what is good: 
    Chaos War: Logical reason to bring dead people back to life without excuses! Bad guy is awesome, or girl. No seriously, I thought he was a she at first. Oh well. 
    Avengers Academy: The storyline is a bit Bleh, but I really like all the new students, well except Striker. It'd be fun to see them and X-23 in a one shot. Or them and the New X-Men. That'd be interesting. Surge vs Finesse...GO FINESSE! 
    Children's Crusade: Not a Doom fan in the slightest but finally bringing back the topic of the Scarlet Witch! It's about damn time they do that! I was waiting! 
    Uncanny X-Force: Lawl, Fantomex made a horseman fall for Betsy. But the four of them are from different time periods which is awesome, since I don't think that was done before. And there's a woman..wait isn't there a woman in every incarnation? Lessee..Plague, the Famine Girl, Deathbird..Polaris...um...Geisha lady...Scarlet Witch in the alternate...yeah I think maybe. I'm glad a woman is dangerous cause hey, us girls need to show we're not typical..even if this new lady spits out bugs. I'll go into why I like these new horseman in a future post. 

And now, the Fail of the Fail: 

Greg Land: I was able to put up with the art up to a point. Now I just can't look at it. Is it Emma in the picture? Or Dazzler? Or Dagger? I can't tell who's who! They all look the same. I was alright with it in the beginning as all I cared about was the story. Now I can't look at it after Idie wore two different things in two issues. And if i remember correctly, they were "back to back." Who knows. It's just horrible.  

The Five Lights

: Ok, before I complain, I like the character personalities and the fact that they're from all different parts of the globe. I do NOT like the fact that their powers are so mundane (except Kenji, he rocks. Probably because he's from Japan :D) 
            Laurie: She's blue, can fly, and has claws and stuff. Blue people: Nightcrawler (rip), Mystique, etc etc. People who can Fly: 1/2 of the X-men at least. People who have Claws: Wolverine and every incarnation and spawn, Wolfsbane, yada yada yada. Yes you're one of the big important fabled new mutants. And you're nothing but a combined version of everything that's already been used. *half-assed clap* At least she's Canadian, eh? Codename she should use: Redundant 
            Gabriel: Again, I think it's cool that he's Mexican, gives a little variety. But he can run and grow a beard. Yes his mutant power is to grow facial hair. Kind of a twist on speedsters, and to be honest, i'd rather have HIM than Surge because Surge is annoying. But again, he's a fabled Light and all he does is run fast. Codename he should use: Marathon. Or something like that. 
             Idie: Fire = Legion, Magma, Sunfire, Firebird, Human Torch, Inhuman Torch, Crystal. Yeah...no. Ice: Iceman, come on seriously? I don't even need any examples. Again, who needs a fabled mutant that does the same thing? Screw that, I would have made Wolverine one of them if I could. I mean yeah she would have been cool, but if she is Twelve, then my eyesight must suck because she looks like she's eighteen. Ok so she looked like she was twelve for one issue. Actually in that issue she looked Ten. She was very small and suddenly she grew! And grew..And grew..Like the diversity though. Codename she should use: Underage  
    Teon: Teon, fetch the comic boy! Fetch it! What bothered me is we didn't see anything of Teon before he became a doggy type thing. No. It's all the mentality of an animal, if that's even remotely close to what animals do. We get all excited for the fourth light, only to find that he needs to go out for a walk! Right on the Canadian's feet. God that must have been awkward. Wild Child in AOA was understandable, the big guy was killing people and well, it was sort of easy to explain why he was barkin and stuff. Blame Dark Beast. Teon? Oh one day he woke up and decided to chew his mother's shoe. He could have been swayed by a hypnotist to believe it for crying out loud. I will laugh my ass off if he rolls on his back and asks for a belly rub like my two dogs do. Codename he should use: Scruffy. 
    Kenji: The One of the five that actually ROCKS! I like Kenji a lot, not because he's evil or japanese, but because he has a power that isn't seen a lot! Yes! Tentacle thingies and metal that kill people and destroy buildings. If you are a therapist reading this, I swear I'm normal. But seriously, original, doesn't look like a character I want to be destroyed because he's awesome! If he dies at all, I stop reading the Five Lights story arc. Unless it gets better. Codename he should use: Tetsuo!!!!! :D 

Characters that Annoy the Hell out of Me and Should be Thrown into a Pit with Other Bad Characters:  

Surge: She was once awesome. Then slowly but surely, she hit puberty and became such an egotistical and annoying bitch. Seriously, ever since the X-Men returned from Limbo, she has been nothing but an absolute terror to everyone around her. Shut her mouth already. Seriously. Or have Laura do it. Please.  
    Daken: Yes you're Wolverine's son. We get it, you're pansexual. Who gives a damn about that. I hate you because you're annoying and are a copy of Wolverine with more douchebaggetry, not because you like guys and girls. Even if you were straight, I'd still hate you. Wolverine needs to kill you. Or Romolus, who should kill himself afterwards. 

Cyclops

: Time to hang up the visor. Your reckless actions cost many lives, even the life of a noble and faithful teleporter nicknamed fuzzy Elf. You didn't even blink, except for pointing out that oops, you screwed up. Yeah big oops, Scott Summers. How many lives have you ruined?  Let's see: 
    -X-23 was forced back to a weapon, even if she chose, you knew she was obedient. 
    -Nightcrawler died because you decided to not get off your ass and help. Wolverine, who can hold his emotions, cared more than you. You didn't even blink 
    -Ariel died because of you. You insisted on moving forward, not caring about who they lost. Ok so maybe you got choked up a bit. Want a medal?
    -Magik was trapped because of you. You were too focused on being the big man, weren't you? 
    -Kitty was probably trapped because of you, and maybe Emma. But this isn't about Emma, she's awesome. 
    -You cheated on your wife with Emma Frost using the excuse that you were possessed. Yeah, try using that in the real world. "Oh i slept with your sister because an evil guy possessed me." And since it was "telepathic" you said it wasn't even real. Yeah, tell that to divorce court.  
    -Your lack of caring for the New X-Men nearly got them killed when you practically KNEW they'd try to do something because you were too busy being macho. 
    -Your focus on only the Messiah and your Son got Boom-Boom shot in the head by an enemy. You're lucky she came back.  
    -Your lack of caring for the original New X-Men started a riot. 
    -Cassandra Nova, nuff said.  
    -You forced Madrox to travel through time with his dupes, putting him in a coma. What the hell?  
    -You demoted Rogue because she did her job. Ass.
     This is one fifth of the stuff you have done. 

X-Men Legacy and Curse of the Bad Comics

You think I'm stopping because I went all out already? Hell no.  
    So seriously, I need to know, was Curse of the Mutants because people were Twilight nerds? No, just no. 
    It was bad. And I mean bad. Forget the storyline. Bad bad bad. Don't read it. 

X-Men Suckacy?  
    Indra's a cool character, but a storyline on him was kinda lame. Maybe a few issues or a side story but a story? Meh. At least he's consistant with his mannerisms *COUGHMAGNETOCOUGH* 

I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of different storylines, as shown from above, were excuses to do something.  
    Necrosha: Kill Selene, Wither and Senyaka and Resurrect Cypher. 
    Messiah Complex: Bring Jean back part 1 
    Curse of the Mutants: Repower Jubilee 
    Young X-Men: Kill Wolfcub 
    X-Men Legacy: Revisit the Children of the Vault 
    Nation-X: Give other lesser characters screen time 
    Messiah War: Bring back Stryfe and Jean's back part II (i actually like the three part series but some of it just..sucks) 
    Second Coming: Kill Cable, Kill Kurt and maim the crap out of other people. 
    Dark X-Men: Give Nate Grey screen time (he's cool) and show a Dark Side to Emma, and of course, give Selene a reason to hate her even more. 
     Dark Wolverine: Show the spawn of Wolverine as a prepubescent male who has rage issues. He and Hellion need to have an issue together with Chase Stein. Pure rage :D.
    I can go on for a while here but I'll cut it short because this is probably getting tiresome already. 

Now don't get me wrong. I love Marvel, and I grew up loving Marvel. The X-Men have always been my idols. But seriously, if this doesn't get better any time soon, I'm just going to stop reading it... 

I'm going to go read X-23 fanfiction now. At least SHE never disappoints me.  
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I lvoe a good rant like this :)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Rants always make me happy....that's weird. 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I didn't read it, since the second I saw you didn't like Cyclops, I knew I'd disagree with you. 

What I agree with though, is that Marvel sucks now.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "I didn't read it, since the second I saw you didn't like Cyclops, I knew I'd disagree with you."
    That's the part I agreed with the most ;)
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By brc2000

Apart from X-23 (who is a character I don't think I'll ever care for) and Cyclops (I don't want Cyclops to go away, just don't want him to lead), I agree with everything here.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "I didn't read it, since the second I saw you didn't like Cyclops, I knew I'd disagree with you."
    That's the part I agreed with the most ;) "
    (Sorry, your comment didn't appear in my inbox). 

Don't be a hater, Kitty :P
    KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KumoriKunoichi
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I hate Cyclops. I really used to like him back then when he was stronger and much more of a leader. Now he's an egomaniac and a total jackass. 

That's why I love abusing him in my fanfictions :D
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @KumoriKunoichi said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: I hate Cyclops. I really used to like him back then when he was stronger and much more of a leader. Now he's an egomaniac and a total jackass.  That's why I love abusing him in my fanfictions :D "
    We'll agree to disagree :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Avengers Academy is indeed awesome.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Magian

While I do agree that the powers of the five lights are not so original, which power is original nowdays? Almost all powers have been used at least once by other characters. I, personally, can't think of a very original superpower.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Backflip

Sometmes I feel like a minority in my thinking that Cyclops has actually grown as a character. So yeah I disagree on certain things... Oh and I personally feel that X-Men Legacy is actually the strongest X-Book currently... Namely because we haven't seen enough of Uncanny X-Force.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IrishX

It seems like comic book fans just like complaining.

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KumoriKunoichi
    @IrishX said:
    " It seems like comic book fans just like complaining. "
    It's my specialty :D
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IrishX
    @KumoriKunoichi said:
    " @IrishX said:
    " It seems like comic book fans just like complaining. "
    It's my specialty :D "

Eh, you're not alone. I think we all do it myself included. Guess we're just a demanding crowd! 

I will say this though that with so many characters and so many fans it must feel impossible for comic companies to make everyone happy.
    Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Dakens son

Uuuum,
    since you hate all those chacters(without any obvius reason)and those arcs,
    why do you complain about it?
    Just stop reading those books,is it that difficult?

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KumoriKunoichi
    @Dakens son: I am exercising my Constitutional right to complain, good sir! :D 

It was in the footnotes in the Bill of Rights at least... 
    :P
    Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Dakens son
    @KumoriKunoichi said:

" @Dakens son: I am exercising my Constitutional right to complain, good sir! :D  It was in the footnotes in the Bill of Rights at least... :P "

Yeah!
    Those footnotes were saying "you have the right to disagree even if you are wrong"
    is there anyting common between disagreeing and complaining?
    Nope I don't think so,good lady!
    stu630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stu630

daken is awesome!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc
    @KumoriKunoichi:

I agree about losts of what you stated.  Cyclops and Dakencan both go.  Good riddance.
    KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KumoriKunoichi
    @stu said:
    " daken is awesome! "
    I will admit his "bad-assness" is rather amusing at times, but seriously, it's so overdone already. There's too many Wolverine-esque characters.
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cytorrak

I'm sorry, but your childish rant about Cyclops is unbelievably biased, misguided, and worthless.

Guess what dear? He WAS possessed, and in comic books, THAT'S A VALID EXCUSE. It happened. Deal with it. Emma invaded his mind dressed as his wife while he was compromised. Where's your bitching at her for running off and making out with Logan? Oh, characters you actually like don't get any hate? How convenient.

Basically everything else you blame him for, you may as well blame on the entire team. His lack of caring? Why the fuck do you think he's leading the team, moron? Of course he cares, else he wouldn't be there.

Who once re-affirmed in Xavier that his dream had value and mutants were still human when Xavier had lost all hope in his dream? Cyclops. Who when crashed in the Australian outbakc with a pack of disgruntled acolytes whipped them into a team, provided water for them, and saved all their lives? Cyclops. Who defeated all the Sentinels single-handedly by tricking them into believing flying into the sun was the only way to accomplish their mission? Cyclops.

First X-Man, best X-Man, forever, period. His judgment is always correct, and if you can't see that, then you haven't been reading X-Men for very long. :\

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @mrmisanthrope:  Woah there, they are critiquing a fictional character there, couldn't you phrase your critiquing of them, just a tab bit nicer, on account of them being you know, a real person? I get you disagree, but are some of your comments really necessary? 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator
     Here disagreeing nicely see? Is possible. 

@KumoriKunoichi:
     I think the idea with Gen Hope's powers, are to not detract from the actual characters personalities. A lot of X-Men have generic powers, its how they end up using them, that would distinguish them. Trying to be too creatively with characters powers, can make them almost unusable often, or the character becomes better known for their cool power. So maybe if we see how they develop, their generic powers may not seem to matter that much?  

With Daken, isn't it nice to have a genuinely villainous jerk character? More a character you love to hate than actually hate? Would never, never see Wolverine wrap his arm around Venom to strike a psychological blow on his ego like that lol Plus surge has always been quite the b____ but lately we haven't seen the nice side of her that balances her out. 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By ReVamp
    @SC said:
    "  Here disagreeing nicely see? Is possible. 

@KumoriKunoichi:
     I think the idea with Gen Hope's powers, are to not detract from the actual characters personalities. A lot of X-Men have generic powers, its how they end up using them, that would distinguish them. Trying to be too creatively with characters powers, can make them almost unusable often, or the character becomes better known for their cool power. So maybe if we see how they develop, their generic powers may not seem to matter that much?   With Daken, isn't it nice to have a genuinely villainous jerk character? More a character you love to hate than actually hate? Would never, never see Wolverine wrap his arm around Venom to strike a psychological blow on his ego like that lol Plus surge has always been quite the b____ but lately we haven't seen the nice side of her that balances her out.  "

I disagree, I think that the powers x men have aren't that Generic. Actually aren't X-Men powers known for being non-generic? Anyways I still do think that the powers in five lightsare kind of... well I guess Generic. The Girl looks like Bling.Bling and/or Emma frost (Decibel). Flying is something 3/4 of capes can do. The dog guy... don't get me started. But I do think the girl's powers could have been more interesting if they were done ala tempest.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @ReVamp said:
    " @SC said:

@KumoriKunoichi:
     I think the idea with Gen Hope's powers, are to not detract from the actual characters personalities. A lot of X-Men have generic powers, its how they end up using them, that would distinguish them. Trying to be too creatively with characters powers, can make them almost unusable often, or the character becomes better known for their cool power. So maybe if we see how they develop, their generic powers may not seem to matter that much?   With Daken, isn't it nice to have a genuinely villainous jerk character? More a character you love to hate than actually hate? Would never, never see Wolverine wrap his arm around Venom to strike a psychological blow on his ego like that lol Plus surge has always been quite the b____ but lately we haven't seen the nice side of her that balances her out.  "
    I disagree, I think that the powers x men have aren't that Generic. Actually aren't X-Men powers known for being non-generic? Anyways I still do think that the powers in five lightsare kind of... well I guess Generic. The Girl looks like Bling.Bling and/or Emma frost (Decibel). Flying is something 3/4 of capes can do. The dog guy... don't get me started. But I do think the girl's powers could have been more interesting if they were done ala tempest. "

Well, try and give me some examples so i can better understand. You have a bunch of elementals, a ton of telepaths, a bunch of armored characters, and a few fliers, not just X-Men, most characters are fairly generic with powers. Idie is basically Equinox. They are pretty generic, Teon is feral. Like I said, they tend to be generic for a reason. A character that shoots out bubbles of color out their ears that create shields that fall and hit people on the head, might be original, but really hard to implement into stories lol
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ReVamp
    @SC said:
    " @ReVamp said:
    " @SC said:

@KumoriKunoichi:
    I disagree, I think that the powers x men have aren't that Generic. Actually aren't X-Men powers known for being non-generic? Anyways I still do think that the powers in five lightsare kind of... well I guess Generic. The Girl looks like Bling.Bling and/or Emma frost (Decibel). Flying is something 3/4 of capes can do. The dog guy... don't get me started. But I do think the girl's powers could have been more interesting if they were done ala tempest. "
     Well, try and give me some examples so i can better understand. You have a bunch of elementals, a ton of telepaths, a bunch of armored characters, and a few fliers, not just X-Men, most characters are fairly generic with powers. Idie is basically Equinox. They are pretty generic, Teon is feral. Like I said, they tend to be generic for a reason. A character that shoots out bubbles of color out their ears that create shields that fall and hit people on the head, might be original, but really hard to implement into stories lol "

Haha :D It does seem however, that we have different views of original...   
    I don't know... I guess maybe they aren't as original as I though... maybe you were right when you said it was the way the powers were used. They are portrayed in a manner which makes them seem different when they aren't. I guess that is what I truly meant when I said Original.

Gambit (the whole charging object to explode)  
    Canonball (He is a Superman who isn't as incredibly over the top filled with power) 
    Beast (Big guys aren't agile) 
    Warpath (I dare say - probably the only person who thinks this. He's good at everything but specfically at nothing. Jack of all trades but master of none). 
    Magneto (don't see many guys with ability to control metal - exc. Polaris)

Magik 
    Sunspot (Black sun energy - Isn't Superman or Sentry but still absorbs energy) 
    Scarlet Witch  
    Pixie 

I don't know... I guess maybe they aren't as original as I though... maybe you were right when you said it was the way the powers were used. They are portrayed

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @ReVamp:  Gambits pretty original, Cannonball too, Beast... eh, Sabretootjh, Tigra, Silverclaw, are all kinda like Beast in powers, but far different when you take other stuff into consideration. Beast being smart and really articulate really helps him stand out if you get what I mean? I think there is quite a cool emphasis on how articulate and intelligent he is? Probably helps his power is otherwise generic) 

Magneto is kinda a elemental. Pixie is sort of a teleporter, I think Cyclops power is unique too? lets look at a bunch of armor characters though, Colossus, Armor, Bling! Rockslide, Onyxx. Those characters are also strong guys, and you can add Strong Guy and Nezhno to that list lol, TP or TK users, or psychics, Xavier, Psylocke, Jean, Emma, X-Man, Karma,  Cuckoos, Rachel. Already the list of characters with similar and pretty unoriginal powers is loner than the list of characters with unique powers lol 

I do think so agree, they have lots of original powers, usually characters introduced individually get to have unique powers too. Teams, have to have a certain dynamic though I think. Broader appeal. I am sure Gen Hope characters with time, will get to shine with unique qualities! ^_^ 

Hey what, you don't like my Ear Bubble Creating Shield Droppy person character? She could be the breakout start of 2011 LOL
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp

@SC:
    Oh yeah, I love your character. I just don't want her covering my back in a street fight... much less a fight with people who can lobotomise sentinels. :P 
    I was also gonna mention Cyclops, but then I thought Superman and.... y'know the gazillions of clones of Superman.  

Let's not forget Indra in that list.  
    And pixie has her dust and soul dagger.

die_yng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By die_yng

What a great rant, I agree with everything, especially the Cyclops part of it. 

So he was possessed, hm... then why is he still together with Emma?

"You know, I'm excused for cheating on my wife, because I was posessed. 
    But know it's just so practical to just keep the blonde trollop around, because she has such a great character."

Fail! 

And his record is devastating, it's almost unbelievable how many mistakes he makes and still is shown as this great strategist and master planer. 

Fail! 

He didn't gve shit about his wife, he didn't give shit when he was responsible for his son dying... 

Fail! 

Face it people he is horrible. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.