Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Wins Character Rights Lawsuit Against Kirby Estate

• 82 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided

Of big law suits and debates over the ownership rights of comic book characters, this might be one of the biggest. Earlier today it was announced that the Kirby Estate had officially lost the law suit against Marvel/Disney for the rights of many characters originally created and worked on by Jack Kirby during his time as a freelancer for Marvel Comics.

According to the U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon who ruled on the case, the characters and content that Kirby created during the time in question (between 1958 and 1963) was done "for hire."

...Meaning that they are exempt from a provision of copyright law that allows authors and artists to obtain rights to their original creations after a certain passage of time.

What this means is that characters like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and the Avengers get to stay at Marvel -- which is not only great news for the publisher, but also for Disney who spent a lot of money on that Marvel buyout in order to acquire (and exploit) Marvel's massive character library.

While we can't say that this result was totally unexpected, it still serves as a reminder to all comic book creators (and creators in general) that the most important thing to consider when you're preparing to publish your project is to ensure you hold ownership rights over the content you created. What do you think about this law suit? Would you have liked to see the Kirby Estate win this case even though Jack Kirby has been deceased since 1994?

Source: Variety

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Duo_forbidden

There was a lawsuit? Where have I been? The only one I know of is the Superman one.

thorwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thorwhore

Wow. Had no idea this was going on.
    Burnstar1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Burnstar1230

The thing is, what would the Kirby Estate do with those characters anyway? Like Sara said, its not surprising that Disvel won this.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I don't think that any heirs deserve rights to the characters that their parents created, especially when those characters were either sold or, as in the article, "done for hire." I think they are generally just being greedy and trying ride the coattails of their parents.

Sadly, the law says otherwise.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iLLituracy

Spider-Man? Jack didn't create Spider-Man...why would they sue Marvel for the rights to him? 

The Fantastic Four, Machine Man, the Eternals and subsequent characters that appeared in those stories like Black Panther and the Inhumans I would understand. But the Spider-Man that came to be at Marvel had little to do with Kirby's vision.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OldManDuncan

I forgot all about this..

colmb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colmb89

Actually that's not entirely true. It's the same principle as the Bob Kane/Bill Finger situation. Stan Lee turns round and says "I have an Idea for a character called spider-man" it evolves from there. Jack Kirby got Jipped and had to live in Stan Lee's shadow his whole life, and even afer his death is still being short changed.

I'm not surprised by the result, and I think while it's technically correct in a literal way, it's important to bear in mind the way the legal system worked back then and that ownership of a character could be waved in the correct circumstance

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

I don't think they should have gotten the rights to them but I think some sort of royalty would have been nice...they don't deserve to own the characters but a little bit of money from them wouldn't hurt anyone...

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By CrimsonTempest

DC could've learned a thing or two from this. Oh, wait that's right, Superman's being rebooted. That's why they dun goofed.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Makes sense to me!

Unless I am missing something with this story, if I pay someone to do work for me, I damn well better hold and keep the rights to it!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#11  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

hmm...I feel sorry for the Kirby estate, but I guess if you're agianst a mouse with some money anyone would lose!

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Duo_forbidden said:
    There was a lawsuit? Where have I been? The only one I know of is the Superman one.
    Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lifestrike

No Caption Provided
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By craigbo180

I am glad that Marvel won the case. I don't know why the Kirby estate would want the rights for the characters unless they were just going to sell them on again.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By papad1992

Yeah but what if the Kirby Estate got ahold of the characters instead.... what would happen to our characters, our comic books to be exact!! Would it but a hold on the production of comic books... it would have been a nightmare if the "heirs" were greedy for money!!!
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I honestly did not know about this but in all truth its sad taht the ruling came down to this...but lets be honest...comic creators of the day were alot....and I do mean ALOT more naieve about the world than they are now I dare say. So its not really surprising.  From another angle though..one wonders if this may be a litmus test for what is going to happen in 2013 with the Siegel/Shuster estates regarding Superman, even though DC kinda has sidetracked it now with the revamp...

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GT-Man

WHAT KIRBY DIED ALREADY?! NOOOOOOOO but why would he want or how could he want them when he's dead??
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azza04

I didn't even know this was happening lol

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Decept-O

@RedheadedAtrocitus: This seems to be the case. It is a hard to say one is in favor of the comic book companies concerning such issues but what it boils down to is the "work for hire" issue. I am tempted to go into a whole diatribe regarding this but now that this lawsuit concerning Jack Kirby's work has been resolved, I think the case speaks for itself.

DC and Marvel, during that time period, had people running said companies who probably weren't interested in the welfare of their employees, just the bottom line. Now, though, it seems some of the same companies are indeed looking out for their employees and the creations, so at least there's been a positive step in the right direction. Note I said some companies.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By turoksonofstone

While we can't say that this result was totally unexpected, it still serves as a reminder to all comic book creators (and creators in general) that the most important thing to consider when you're preparing to publish your project is to ensure you hold ownership rights over the content you created. What do you think about this law suit? Would you have liked to see the Kirby Estate win this case even though Jack Kirby has been deceased since 1994? 

Choke on it Marvel. There is no Justice for Jack "King" Kirby, I'm sick to my stomach that this went down so quick, Stan Lee got up on the stand and caught amnesia, no wonder he and Jack barely spoke in later years. Stan Lee, Stan Lee, Stan Lee, may you suffer as you have made the Kirby's suffer, Roz and Jack Kirby were the best thing to ever happen to the comics Industry and now they will never see justice. I am glad they have passed and no longer have to suffer the sight of Jack's creations making billions at the box office while they struggle to live. I condemn Marvel Comics for it's role in perpetuating this injustice. This should have ended like the Superman case, and I suspect the only difference here is that the Kirby's could not prove Jack created plenty of the Marvel's on his own, It is well documented that he created Silver Surfer on a whim, and created the New Gods while still at Marvel. Disney has Money, and Money=Justice in the U.S.A. Time/Warner only lost Superman because the Siegel&Shuster Heirs were able to prove Action #1 was created before Siegel & Shuster even came to DC. "American Justice" the burden of proof is always on the victim, and the system is the biggest victimizer. DC and Marvel epitomize greed and unethical business practices and are a prime example of the worthy and gifted serving the unworthy and wealthy. I will never stop telling Kirby's story to fans who will listen, Jack deserves to be remembered and recognized as the giant among men he was not as the creative partner of the credit absorbing hack Stan Lee. The King is Dead. Long live the King.

Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this isn't really anything new - wasn't stuff like this the reason why Image was started up?   everyone thinks that private ownership of iconic characters would destroy them, but that isn't necessarily the case.   however, this can sometimes be a very bad thing - take Superman, for instance.   some may not like his origin story, but it's an essential part of his character - but now it has to be shot out of the nearest cannon, because Superman is back in the hands of the Siegel/Shuster name, but Jerry and Joe have been deceased for quite some time, and the members of the estate (as far as I can tell, anyway), have absolutely no plans of doing anything constructive with the character's origin.   in this case, these people have taken all of the symbolism of a character and made it a matter of possession.   of course, then you have to remember that while you may love your latest monthly titles, there's a good chance that sometime long ago, somebody probably got screwed out of their hard-earned pride and joy by these companies.   then again, that's business for you - but it looks like the industry's catching up. 

@CrimsonTempest said:

DC could've learned a thing or two from this. Oh, wait that's right, Superman's being rebooted. That's why they dun goofed.

that's not really a fair assessment.   the only difference between Marvel and DC here is that Marvel got luckier with the lawyers.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @The Velvet Rabbit said:
    this isn't really anything new - wasn't stuff like this the reason why Image was started up?   everyone thinks that private ownership of iconic characters would destroy them, but that isn't necessarily the case.   however, this can sometimes be a very bad thing - take Superman, for instance.   some may not like his origin story, but it's an essential part of his character - but now it has to be shot out of the nearest cannon, because Superman is back in the hands of the Siegel/Shuster name, but Jerry and Joe have been deceased for quite some time, and the members of the estate (as far as I can tell, anyway), have absolutely no plans of doing anything constructive with the character's origin.   in this case, these people have taken all of the symbolism of a character and made it a matter of possession.   of course, then you have to remember that while you may love your latest monthly titles, there's a good chance that sometime long ago, somebody probably got screwed out of their hard-earned pride and joy by these companies.   then again, that's business for you - but it looks like the industry's catching up. 

@CrimsonTempest said:

that's not really a fair assessment.   the only difference between Marvel and DC here is that Marvel got luckier with the lawyers.
    Marc Toberoff is the attorney for both sets of Heirs but the Siegel & Shuster heirs had a better case, Steranko and Evainer were the only ones who really seemed to have Jack's back in this case, everyone else lied or caught amnesia. To really get a sense of scale of the merciless butt-raping Marvel has issued here I Implore you to check out the Hours of Kirby videos and Interviews I have posted in his forum. I challenge ANYONE to come forth with a name that has meant more to the Comic Book medium than Kirby. Let's hope for an appeal and a better outcome in the future.
    GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By GraveSp

thats what happens when you sue disney.  

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turoksonofstone

Walt Disney was a Nazi, Just Sayin' 

Bleh.  

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#25  Edited By Deadcool
    @Lifestrike
    Kirby
    Kirby
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Jack Kirby is a real American.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#27  Edited By Teerack

Disney doesn't ever lose rights.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Forgot about this, not surprised with the outcome though. Things rarely win against goliaths like Disney 

Drow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Drow

I would like to think that the Kirby estate gets some sort of compensation, even a token gesture, for Kirby's contribution to the industry.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Night Thrasher

The estate didn't create anything....Marvel paid Kirby and Lee "for hire" for the creation of the characters...greed is a two way street...the Kirby Estate still has plenty of characters that their father created with the licenses and copyrights to. They only want to cash in on the most popular ones after Marvel has not only spent the first half of the characters lives marketing and promoting the books...Fantastic Four, Hulk, X-Men, etc, didn't just ship selling a million copies; the company had to promote and advertise... 

S/N: not a conservative, or business first type (actually quite the opposite). I just don't like greed on one side or the other.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#31  Edited By cbishop

I had no idea this lawsuit existed, but it seems like this decision would have major ramifications on the lawsuit regarding Superman.

P90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By P90
    @turoksonofstone
    Whatever you think of Kirby or his family (lets face it everyone knows that characters belong to the company that publishes them and not the writers hired there) don't bring Stan Lee into the arguement, he is personally reponsible for the creation of the majority of best selling and fan favourite characters in the industry (Spider-Man, X-men, Avengers, Daredevil, Hulk, Fantastic Four etc) He is in no way a 'credit absobing hack', his creations have been the best selling comics from the early sixties to the current day. He deserves any recognition he gets.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @P90 said:
    @turoksonofstone: Whatever you think of Kirby or his family (lets face it everyone knows that characters belong to the company that publishes them and not the writers hired there) don't bring Stan Lee into the arguement, he is personally reponsible for the creation of the majority of best selling and fan favourite characters in the industry (Spider-Man, X-men, Avengers, Daredevil, Hulk, Fantastic Four etc) He is in no way a 'credit absobing hack', his creations have been the best selling comics from the early sixties to the current day. He deserves any recognition he gets.
    No. He's a Credit Absorbing Hack. His writing means nothing without Kirby's designs. He would have you believe he was responsible, solely responsible for creating the MCU and that is a truckload of malarkey, Jack was no wordsmith and Stan had no problem taking credit for himself each and every interview. If you believe otherwise you are sadly misinformed. The evidence is in the comics, Jack Kirby the Artist VS. Stan Lee the writer?? Stan isn't fit to hold Kirby's Jock strap.
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Superguy0009e

not to take a side.....but spider man, fantastic four etc, they're MARVEL creations, they became such a part of marvel that taking them out literally would destroy the company and the universe. i love jack kiry and stan lee, both a very creative and talented men, but if either one of them tried taking the rights of a character they made (or their kids) , i think that it wouldnt go well

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Superguy0009e
    @turoksonofstone: idk, some people could say that with bad writing, even the best art cant help a story.

both stan lee and jack kirby did a lot for comic books, lets just leave it at that
    CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @The Velvet Rabbit said:
    @CrimsonTempest said:

Well, that is true. They have that Disney money backing them up.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Superguy0009e said:
    @turoksonofstone: idk, some people could say that with bad writing, even the best art cant help a story.  both stan lee and jack kirby did a lot for comic books, lets just leave it at that
    No, Jack Did a lot more than Stan ever did. period. He co-created Captain America, Timely's golden age superstar, He worked for a variety of publishers in the Golden Age creating many great characters, Superhero and otherwise, he made all of the major contributions to Marvel's Pantheon in the Golden, Silver, and Bronze ages. He worked with Pacific comics an early Pre-cursor to Image in the creators rights movement. He created characters at DC in the Golden and Bronze ages DC uses often to this day, he contributed aspects of Superman's continuity as well. Stan Lee Sued Marvel after Spider-Man was first released and was paid Millions upon millions for his Efforts. What about Jack? If Stan Lee had any sort of Honor or conscience, Jack Kirby would not have been forced to sign away his rights to sue just to have his original art returned. Stan Lee is the worst kind of bloodsucker. 
    msteryman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By msteryman3

This is why I personally like Image, who if I'm correct all of the writers keep rights to their character.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gravitypress

If Kirby's family deserved the rights they would have gotten them. When you freelance for a company you leave with a paycheck and little else.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @gravitypress said:
    If Kirby's family deserved the rights they would have gotten them. When you freelance for a company you leave with a paycheck and little else.
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gravitypress

I could see if his employment pre-dated existing laws. But as for as the characters that got popular it didn't. Capt. America excluded of course.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By turoksonofstone

He deserved more money, credit, and respect. Much like the Siegel & Shuster case the very existence of a lawsuit indicates a perpetual lack of  unfairness on the parts of Marvel and DC.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By joshmightbe

Marvel had Disney lawyers at their backs, that's like bringing Hulk with you to a street fight

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @joshmightbe:  
    Yeah, but the Kirby's had the guy who has already won half the Superman case, Marc Toberoff, Too much of the case itself was based on oral evidence..I've read it.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By joshmightbe
    @turoksonofstone: Toberoff is a garter snake, and he was going up against pit vipers 
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gravitypress

I wont argue that he should have been paid more but he didn't work in a very lucrative field. Comic book companies never used to rake in the money till recently. As far as unfairness, he probably could have been treated better as far as character rights went but freelancers are excluded under that law. He does get lots of credit and respect though. Every one knows he is the co-creator of so many comic characters. He also has fans making it known that he is just as important as the writer when it came to creating some of our favorite characters.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @gravitypress said:
    I wont argue that he should have been paid more but he didn't work in a very lucrative field. Comic book companies never used to rake in the money till recently. As far as unfairness, he probably could have been treated better as far as character rights went but freelancers are excluded under that law. He does get lots of credit and respect though. Every one knows he is the co-creator of so many comic characters. He also has fans making it known that he is just as important as the writer when it came to creating some of our favorite characters.
    There is that "equality" with Lee again, no such animal.
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gravitypress

I have seen a lot of interviews from Stan Lee and never once heard him say a bad word about Kirby. On the contrary he always talked about how he was the greatest.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By turoksonofstone

You should read about the case if you care to understand my perspective, or better yet read the respective bodies of work, Kirby was and is a greater talent and the work is the only proof I need. Stan Lee has only talked Kirby up a ton in later years, moreso since he died....In earlier interviews and in the Marvel "heyday" not so much, look for yourself.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @joshmightbe said:
    @turoksonofstone: Toberoff is a garter snake, and he was going up against pit vipers 
    True, where did DC get their Lawyers? Time/Warner is less potent than Disney? lol. No.Goddamn.Justice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.