Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Wants YOU to Join the Marvel ReEvolution

• 72 results
    cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By cracker_jack

I don't believe in ReEvolution. I'm a ReCreationist.

Triumphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Triumphant

@haydenclaireheroes: Ditto.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By zackattack529

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@Trodorne: All I'm saying is that Marvel's announcing this as something to 'revolutionize the industry' but I can't find any reason to consider this anything more than a gimmick.

@Decept-O: The best example of page layouts possibly being ruined is Batman #5. Pages that end up sideways and then upside down? With a digital comic one can assume its just a mistake. Flipping the image doesn't have nearly the same effect as having to turn the comic in your hands. A friend of mine is reading Batman digitally and I'm imploring him to read that issue in paper.

noo actually not, its more of a nostalgic factor but reading digitally is actually simpler and the colors more vibrant. i personally get paper issues because i like the collective value. and long time comic readers do the same. they want to have a comic that will be worth someday. for example, at my LCS when the new 52 came out, i did not see one NEW person in the shop i go to. it was the same people except now they were buying them all up...why is that? because people know they'll be worth something one day. i and thats really all it is about. but digital is better and easier to get ahold of. if you can ignore the collective value and nostalgic factor. I personally cant. and long time comic readers wont. haha

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By dementedtheclown

FAD

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@zackattack529 said:

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@Trodorne: All I'm saying is that Marvel's announcing this as something to 'revolutionize the industry' but I can't find any reason to consider this anything more than a gimmick.

@Decept-O: The best example of page layouts possibly being ruined is Batman #5. Pages that end up sideways and then upside down? With a digital comic one can assume its just a mistake. Flipping the image doesn't have nearly the same effect as having to turn the comic in your hands. A friend of mine is reading Batman digitally and I'm imploring him to read that issue in paper.

noo actually not, its more of a nostalgic factor but reading digitally is actually simpler and the colors more vibrant. i personally get paper issues because i like the collective value. and long time comic readers do the same. they want to have a comic that will be worth someday. for example, at my LCS when the new 52 came out, i did not see one NEW person in the shop i go to. it was the same people except now they were buying them all up...why is that? because people know they'll be worth something one day. i and thats really all it is about. but digital is better and easier to get ahold of. if you can ignore the collective value and nostalgic factor. I personally cant. and long time comic readers wont. haha

So then you speak for all comic readers then? All old readers are only against digital comics because of nostalgia? It can't possibly be that not everyone has a good enough screen to view them properly without needing to scroll down a page because you had to zoom in to be able to read the words? Nobody prefers to turn actual pages as opposed to clicking? Nobody would rather look at ink over pixels? Nobody wants to read comics when the power's out?

And it's simpler to open a file, scroll if you're screen isn't big enough, zoom in to make something out instead of just looking closer; than it is to pick it up and turn pages?

And your experience at your own ONE shop speaks for the entire industry? I for one saw droves of new people in my lcs when The New 52 started. I personally helped a bunch of people in my area find the shop because they were interested.

If its your OPINION that digital is easier, that's fine; but don't presume to speak for everyone. I've gotten a few digital comics, but nothing compares to paper. If people can settle for digital, whatever, as long as paper doesn't die out I don't give a frack.

BUT, none of this is really relevant. This isn't about digital vs. print, this about merging the two, which is just... weird. Too many people are set in one way, and trying to make them mix is going to push away the paper-dedicated, not bring them closer. It also excludes people who don't have a tablet or smartphone. Paper vs. digital isn't a competition as Marvel is suggesting, it's a choice. Like paper or plastic at a grocery store. But Marvel has apparently decided to just create some crazy convolution where some of their plastic bags are part paper. But only some of them. See how little sense that makes?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9996f1456eb
    deactivated-5b9996f1456eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After past blunders (the government won't let me get into details) I have made it a personal objective to NOT join revolutions, but in this case that's completely beside the point.

'Behind the scenes' (and, reading between the lines, I bet it's safe to say; character bios!) is in no way shape or form augmented reality. I think Marvel should have looked up the definition before they put it on the cover.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By _Zombie_

'Behind the Scenes' could matter less to me. Same with exclusive content because of some app. I want actual content in the form of good stories, but it seems that Marvel isn't capable of delivering that without announcing some gimmick like this. If it works for you, sure, that's perfectly fine. But full digital media is still impractical to me, and this is as pointless and stupid as their announcement that codes for digital copies of your comics is supposed to justify a $3.99 price tag. I also don't see how this is going to revolutionize anything.

Also, as TheMightyMonarch has pointed out, this excludes anybody without a smart phone or tablet. And not everybody can afford a computer good enough to optimize this experience.

I seriously have little to no faith left in Marvel. At least the new 52 isn't all crap.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Decept-O

@The Mighty Monarch: I agree with your sentiments here but perhaps we shouldn't react too strongly about it all. zackattack59 is just stating an opinion but you also are right, simply because older readers like print comics does not mean we won't be accepting of digital as well.

My contention is that I am fine with having these options available, but I don't want the prices to increase because of it.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think it's great that they're trying new things. The comic industry needs all the help it can get.

curtman2k20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By curtman2k20

WHoa Marvel is totally ripping off nintendo and harry potter, cool....

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @cattlebattle said:
    Marvel wants to me join a revolution  I want them to put out good stories  we can't all win
    LOL
    Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#62  Edited By Queso6p4

@Turkeysammich said:

I sort of believe Marvel sees Comixology the same way record companies view iTunes, At first, iTunes was a great alternative to to people illegally downloading music. However, record companies lost so much power and control to iTunes once it became the leader in sales. Similarly, I see this as Marvel desiring more control over their product.

That being said, it seems fairly interesting. While I use and enjoy Comixology, it doesn't feel like it takes advantage of all the possibilities that digital can provide.

Go on.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#63  Edited By Teerack

Is it just me, or did they get the helmet color wrong.

dru_zod2501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By dru_zod2501

What's up with that AR poster? Some weird mix-n-match of the movie & comics designs I thought I was trippin.

Huh, good luck to Marvel. I'm all for digital books, once I get money I might give it a chance. I haven't consistently read Marvel in several years

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By PowerHerc

I might have to join if I want to keep reading Marvel Comics considering they aren't shipping actual comics to my local bookstore (my only local source).

How I long for the days of finding comics in every conceivable kind of store.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By dvorak

It's cool that they are trying a new thing, I guess. Good or bad though, I love that logo though with the infinite-loop for the CO in comics. Cool touch.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By KidSupreme

I am totally looking forward to this!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By They Killed Cap!

The reality of the situation is that a major part of the industry for FANS is the collecting portions of the experience. The hunt, etc. You won't have that with this format. You just go download it. Boring.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Stormultt

@cattlebattle said:

Marvel wants to me join a revolution I want them to put out good stories we can't all win

oop

Avatar image for mysteriousblack
    MysteriousBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By MysteriousBlack

@Billy Batson said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I still don't understand what this is, exactly. Is this another place to buy digital comics? Because that's not really a big deal since comixology exists...

Basically it gives you "exclusive" content.
    BB

I hope that's not all, becuase if it is, this wouldn't be a revolution or an evolution, just another stagnation.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#71  Edited By GothamRed

hey if marvel is willing to put all the comics that come out each week online I'll buy 'em that way

wolfmangideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By wolfmangideon

I'd personally prefer digital comics to become extinct as opposed to evolving, but that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.