Marvel Wants YOU to Join the Marvel ReEvolution

• 72 results
Posted by G-Man (29408 posts) - - Show Bio
The Marvel ReEvolution is here—and comics will never be the same!

We've heard this sort of thing before but Marvel has revealed their plans in making this happen. The 'future' was seen yesterday at SXSW Interactive. The Marvel ReEvolution seamlessly brings the worlds of print and digital media together for a comics experience like no other. This new initiative consists of a new comic book format, Marvel Infinite Comics and Marvel AR, the first major augmented reality app from a comics company. We will get to see this when AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 is released on April 4th.

== TEASER ==

Dan Buckley, Publisher and President of the Print, Animation & Digital Divisions, Marvel Worldwide, Inc., had this to say:

Marvel’s always led graphic fiction industry in digital media innovation and the Marvel ReEvolution is a quantum leap into the future of publishing. We see print and digital product as complementary, not competitive—so we’ve made sure that not only do we have new digital content but also digital products that enhance the printed page. The release of Avengers VS X-Men #1, the biggest story we’ve ever told, is the activation point for the re-evolution of comics as a whole.

Marvel Infinite Comics will represent a new form or comic book storytelling and use tablets and smartphones as a new canvas to tell the story. The technology will be utilize to enhance the reading experience. The first omic released in this format will be AVENGERS VS X-X_MEN#1 INFINITE, from Mark Waid and Stuart Immonen and available on April 4 for purchase on the Marvel Comics app, free with the redemption of the code found in print copies of AVENGERS VS X-MEN#1 or included with the purchase of the digital version.

Here's what Editor-in-Chief, Axel Alonso had to say:

We call these Marvel Infinite Comics because the storytelling possibilities are, frankly, infinite. Writers and artists now have a whole host of new tools at their disposal to redefine the comic book medium. Current tablets and smartphones, along with comiXology’s Guided View technology, allow us to develop new, full length stories for a different medium that are very much truly comics—but experienced by readers in a way no other major company has ever executed.

The Marvel AR app, powered by Aurasma, will be released in April for iOS and Android devices. By opening this app and scanning select Marvel products featuring theMarvel AR logo, you’ll unlock exclusive content starring the world’s most popular Super Heroes -- including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk and many others! Go behind the scenes of your favorite comics, see new footage, hear from creators, catch yourself up on past events and more!

We'll be getting more behind the scenes content and a new way to read comics. Most likely there will be some opposed to seeing a change to the way they read comics but all this is being offered for free. As long as you are not required to read the extra content to get the full story, those without smartphones and tablets won't have to worry about missing out.

It sounds like a lot of PR hype but it definitely is a step in the right direction. There's a lot that can be done with this if utilized in the way they presented it. We'll have to check it out in April to see how the execution goes.

Staff
#1 Posted by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, not gonna join, don't like reading comics online

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not the biggest fan of digital comics, but this sounds interesting.

#3 Posted by Turkeysammich (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I sort of believe Marvel sees Comixology the same way record companies view iTunes, At first, iTunes was a great alternative to to people illegally downloading music. However, record companies lost so much power and control to iTunes once it became the leader in sales. Similarly, I see this as Marvel desiring more control over their product.

That being said, it seems fairly interesting. While I use and enjoy Comixology, it doesn't feel like it takes advantage of all the possibilities that digital can provide.

#4 Posted by FTomato (8 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who generally reads on iOS devices, I think this is really dumb.

#5 Posted by Chaos Burn (1755 posts) - - Show Bio

for all the 'online comics' haters, consider that I live miles and miles away from the nearest comic shop, and if they're plugging more into online content, then YAY! :D

#6 Edited by feargalr (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet, I love reading comics on my tablet, everything looks so much more vibrant, and you don't lose anything at the middle of the page with a two page spread like you do in an actual book.

@FTomato: Why? It makes perfect sense to make a big push in digital comics coming off the back of the Avengers movie

@Chaos Burn: Im in the same situation, although I live in a city, albeit a small one, theres one comic book store with a very limited choice to say the least...

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't understand what this is, exactly. Is this another place to buy digital comics? Because that's not really a big deal since comixology exists...

#8 Posted by Saren (24310 posts) - - Show Bio

I get it, It's "Revolution" split into "Re-Evolution", because the X-Men are all about evolution! Clever.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think digital comics are the future. Comics are worthless if they don't end up in our hands in some form. I can understand digital comics if they were sold on CDs or something but I still don't think the world trusts the internet. Maybe in thirty to forty years, but not now.

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (56877 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I still don't understand what this is, exactly. Is this another place to buy digital comics? Because that's not really a big deal since comixology exists...

Basically it gives you "exclusive" content.
BB

#11 Posted by DP812 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I too live in an area where I don't have access to print comics. Also, digital comics cut down on physical space, which is good given how little space I have in my current apartment.

That being said, I need to hear a lot more about this before I can make a judgment call on it. I'm a little worried this will be a similar gimmick like Marvel's motion comics or the grossly inferior Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited service.

What I want comic publishers to do is what I can do on iTunes -- buy, download, and sort comics.

#12 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

So.... now some Marvel comics will include codes to scan, so if you have a smartphone you get 'DVD' style special features? Mmm... Yeah, the new storytelling possibilities sure are INFINITE with that. That's completely definitely a totally new way to read comics that in no way resembles just reading a comic and then finding all the other behind the scenes stuff on your own on the internet. Yep, this SURE is revolutionary. Comics will NEVER EVER be the same now that you can find special features by scanning barcodes. No, it certainly isn't just a lame gimmick. Nope.

#13 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... I don't know how I feel with this. I love the comic in paper, I'm a collector of silver age comic. I don't want Marvel Comics doing the same of DC Comics, reboot and destroy everything to promote sales. I really hope Marvel's plans becomes well, for everyone who love the company. It's an especial time, a time for revolutions. We see how the music market, movies market has to adapt to new tecnology and people generation. I just want that Marvel characters don't loose they soul in this process, like DC characters.

Good luck Marvel

#14 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is still on the defensive from DC's September reboot, but it is nice to see that publishers other than DC are trying to improve the comics industry.

#15 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Marvel so this is what you guys are coming up with? you never thought about good story lines in the comic books or movies or something like that? no just keep killing off your heros and make a smart phone app well done (clap clap)

#16 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooo... Motion Comics?

#17 Edited by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont care what the creators and writers are thinking unless they give a reason on why on character beats another in a fight or something or why a character makes a choice that they do

I guess i just dont get why this is such a big deal. I dont think this is merging the two at all. I think this is more like a dvd with a cd-rom commentary available, 99% of people dont care about it and most likely wont go check it out either. I would rather pay less money for the comic and not get that crap in it. I would only be happy and excited about it if the digital part had more details to the story. For example like a longer version of the same story with more detail and scenes. Almost like a writers version of the story not cut down by the editors and more pages then the print copy of it.

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel wants to me join a revolution

I want them to put out good stories

we can't all win

#19 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Marvel wants to me join a revolution I want them to put out good stories we can't all win

LOL

#20 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

You do know comixology doesn't sell Marvel right and as a business model its perfect, why sell your comics through someone else when you can easily do it yourself and keep all the money. Digital is the future of comics, I don't think they are going to stop making paper comics, but offering more digital is smart because more people will have access. When I started collecting comics were just about every where and now you can't get them unless you go to a comic shop.

Also for all the people who want paper and no digital, you do realize if digital takes off the limited print runs of paper comics will make them more valuable as a collectors item right. For the average fan they would most likely pick up a digital copy and to the hard core collector they'll get the paper copy. Its really a win win.

Now onto the main topic, I don't know what's going on with Marvel and it doesn't really matter they are doing more digital content, because I've sworn off Marvel, I've given them to many chances to keep me as a fan and they continually disappoint. So unless they offer same day digital at a huge discount and their stories pick up in quality this means nothing to me.

#21 Posted by frochez (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever your spell-checker is really need to take a refresher course...

#22 Posted by barryallen (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep trying Aurasma and it neverreally works for me, hopefully it'll be fine with these!

#23 Posted by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Marvel wants to me join a revolution I want them to put out good stories we can't all win

Win right there.

@Nova`Prime`: While Marvel as a business model seems perfect. It does not support the comic stores that has supported it for how many decades. For many of us who still buy the actual copies, We know how hard it is for these stores to stay in business, and with things like comixology it helps the stores as well allows for the companies to give back to the businesses who have supported them from the beginning by buying and selling their comics.

@DEGRAAF said:

i dont care what the creators and writers are thinking unless they give a reason on why on character beats another in a fight or something or why a character makes a choice that they do

I know right? Like why would I want to listen to Joe Q and JMS try to explain their half ass'd story in a digital version of ONE MORE DAY.... cause honestly...........QUESAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

@doordoor123 said:

I don't think digital comics are the future. Comics are worthless if they don't end up in our hands in some form. I can understand digital comics if they were sold on CDs or something but I still don't think the world trusts the internet. Maybe in thirty to forty years, but not now.

I don't think people do not trust the internet. There millions who rely on it constantly for information, social networking and downloading. IF Marvel as well as other companies want to entice people to read or buy there digital comic books they need to do exclusive things that you could not get in a regular comic book. In terms of digital comics to sell of to the general market this is what they really need to do.

1. Digital comics like these need to have exclusive content or make the technology unique to them so that way they could bring a "wannabe" tech savvy community to its sight and buy its content this is both for marvel and comixology. (marvel i don't really care). I say "Wannabe" because many of people who use the internet do not know how to use it properly, only 40% of people who use the internet actually know how to use it, and not just check facebook and look at videos of kittens.

2. While its great they are giving a free digital copy of that comic away for anyone of the $3.99 comics. but at the same time the prices for just exclusive digital comics should be down by like a $1 or 2. at most a digital comic should be sold for AT MOST is $1.50 which would pay off the comic store, The website, the publisher, and then the artists. (Thats right artists, you get no love). The companies are not using print paper. and the money they are making could be so much more than that they would make from print alone.

3. Promotions are always a great thing to do once in a while. and not just posting a news article on your site is not enough anymore. one thing that iTunes does to get people into its store is they often have a free digital download code for a single song every week at places like Starbucks. So why not do the same thing and once a month promote an old or new digital comic to get people to try out digital comics in order to see that reading comics are cool. With the whole comic movies coming out this is an excellent point to really try to promote reading of these comics.

@The Mighty Monarch said:

So.... now some Marvel comics will include codes to scan, so if you have a smartphone you get 'DVD' style special features? Mmm... Yeah, the new storytelling possibilities sure are INFINITE with that. That's completely definitely a totally new way to read comics that in no way resembles just reading a comic and then finding all the other behind the scenes stuff on your own on the internet. Yep, this SURE is revolutionary. Comics will NEVER EVER be the same now that you can find special features by scanning barcodes. No, it certainly isn't just a lame gimmick. Nope.

Once again you have to understand not everyone who uses the internet are as smart with it as we all have been with it. i have one Bronze Rule: Never assume someone is smart.

#24 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

An interesting additional method to get comics but I have a fear this will raise the price of print comics in general, or at least for Marvel's books. I don't want that to continue and maybe I am wrong assuming that will happen.

#25 Posted by kennybaese (1002 posts) - - Show Bio

If this means that they start formatting comics to better fit the digital medium then I'm all for it. The only real downside I see will be the kind of demise of the page format. Some layouts, like half of Swamp Thing #7 for example (a poor one maybe since it's a DC book, but that's not the point) are kind of impossible with a digital book. But we'll see.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@cattlebattle said:

LOL

True Story

#27 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne: All I'm saying is that Marvel's announcing this as something to 'revolutionize the industry' but I can't find any reason to consider this anything more than a gimmick.

@Decept-O: The best example of page layouts possibly being ruined is Batman #5. Pages that end up sideways and then upside down? With a digital comic one can assume its just a mistake. Flipping the image doesn't have nearly the same effect as having to turn the comic in your hands. A friend of mine is reading Batman digitally and I'm imploring him to read that issue in paper.

#28 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how Marvel insists on putting "Comics will never be the same" every time they release their next crappy event

#29 Posted by pspin (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesnt the comixology app start deleting comics after you get like 30 or something. That would be pointless to get if you collect them. That being said, I don't like digital comics very much, I really hope that it isn't the "future of comics"

#30 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs. X-Men is the biggest story they ever told? I think not.

#31 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@cattlebattle said:

LOL

True Story

#32 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

thats what i thought too!

#33 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch: Didn't know that. I will admit I am reticent about the whole idea but it is still an interesting additional way for readers to have access to comics. Personally I don't own any mobile devices other than a cheap cell phone and still use an old desktop computer, so having comics digitally for me wouldn't be something I'd want. I still prefer print comics and probably always will.

Yet I think just having this as an additional method of getting comics is not something I think is a "bad" idea, but ONLY if comic book prices don't continue to go up. If having comics being provided digitally means a price increase for print comics, then, no, not interested.

#34 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8752 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems pretty interesting. It should be cool to see how this works out

#35 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
Marvel wants to me join a revolution  I want them to put out good stories  we can't all win
Indeed.
#36 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne said:

@Nova`Prime`: While Marvel as a business model seems perfect. It does not support the comic stores that has supported it for how many decades. For many of us who still buy the actual copies, We know how hard it is for these stores to stay in business, and with things like comixology it helps the stores as well allows for the companies to give back to the businesses who have supported them from the beginning by buying and selling their comics.

Its not Marvels job to keep comic stores in business. If a comic store can't evolve with the times then that's their problem. Most comic shops now sell t-shirts, posters, and action figures. And the problem with saying its Marvel job because without the comic shops Marvel or any comic publisher would have gone out of business isn't true, before comic shops comics were sold on news stands and in grocery stores, long before the comic shop.

#37 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7496 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry still not interested in Digital Comics in the slightest.

#38 Posted by buttersdaman000 (8796 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega Ray Jay said:

Sorry still not interested in Digital Comics in the slightest.

#39 Posted by Teerack (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Nova's coming home of AvX, and I thought all the hulks made it unbalanced xD

#40 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm if this is their way of competing with DC's New 52, I don't think it'll catch on as well. I personally used to only read Marvel, but after the New 52, I'm more of a DC guy. I think the reset worked well. Now, as a new reader, I do not have to go to the ancient mayan libraries like that of Marvel, fight my way through their marvel zombies, dodge a boulder and look up Spider-man Issue #128604 just to get one joke they make in a recent issue. I can simply go to my local comic shop and buy issue 1. If Marvel really wanted to compete, I think they should put up they comics on an online reader (I know they already have one, but it's really inconvenient) that you pay maybe 5 USD every month to read till your hearts content. (Of course they have something like that as I said, but they way it's set up is a mess, to me at least... eh just my thoughts on this. Don't really like them getting all "oooh digital!" on us. I'd much rather a reset, or even better, don't reset 616, but make 617 and have it be the reset.

#41 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

The medium will change - just like everything else. It's just the way it works and I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

#42 Posted by The Impersonator (4306 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

#43 Posted by Meteorite (3347 posts) - - Show Bio

Huzzah for Marvel! Am I the only one who thinks that that logo looks f**king awesome?

#44 Posted by 00MirageKnight00 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are people complainin this is only positive and beneficial for everyone!

#45 Posted by zombietag (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel please dont exclude me from the whole story because i dont want to buy your app

#46 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

@00MirageKnight00: Except the people who don't have smart phones.

#47 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1779 posts) - - Show Bio

Online comics are great for me, because there are absolutely no comic shops anywhere near where I live.

#48 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Giving DC's New 52 concept competition I see. At any rate, its the future, and it makes me at least glad I have my Kindle Fire with the comixology app available. Still, I'll be a print comics man till the day I die.

#49 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to read Nova by Mark Waid and Stuart Immonen. So what, because I'm buying a physical copy of AvX, I'm going yo be stiffed out of reading it? I hope I'm wrong, but this would be a terrible thing to do, Marvel.

#50 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

this actually might be interesting, who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.