Marvel Unveils Digital Plans at SXSW

• 60 results
Posted by G-Man (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel recently released some teasers that left people scratching their heads more than usual. These teasers were some planned announcements at this weekend's SXSW.

One of the announcements was for Project Gamma.

Basically Project Gamma plans to give digital comics a 'smart soundtrack.' According to Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso, Project Gamma isn an "adaptive, non-repetitive score" that will change with each swipe from panel to panel on your tablet or smartphone. Marvel will be working with production companines Momentum Worldwide and CORD. Their composers have worked on Harry Potter, Drive, The King's Speech and Looper. Due to the adaptive nature, the score will change depending on the speed at which the reader flips through the panels.

== TEASER ==

Here is a video teaser Marvel has released:

As for the Marvel #1 teasers we've seen, Marvel will be making 700 of their #1 isues available for free so you can determine if you want to give the series a try. Make a note that this runs until 11 p.m. Eastern Tuesday, March 12. 700 is a lot of free comics.

Other announcements include weekly Infinite Comics. The first series is WOLVERINE: JAPAN'S MOST WANTED, written by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour with art by Paco Diaz.

Marvel Unlimited is now avaiable on mobile devices with an all-new app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with an app coming soon to Android devices.

There are also plans for more Marvel original video to go along with their existing programs such as The Watcher and Marvel Super Heroes: What The?

Stay tuned for more information on all of these new announcements.

Source: Marvel and cnet.

#1 Posted by Walzo (4356 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn servers are down, or else I would have all of Marvel Now in the palm of my hand.

#2 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walzo said:

Damn servers are down, or else I would have all of Marvel Now in the palm of my hand.

Me Too I want to get in!

#3 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, Seven hundred? That is insane.

#4 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm planning on get all 700 of them! But damn, the websites and apps are going mental!

#5 Posted by ccraft (5559 posts) - - Show Bio

so a sound track for comics, I had the idea in my head months ago, I should get paid :D

#6 Posted by sagejonathan (2024 posts) - - Show Bio

This is cool, but makes me worried that comics will soon become digital only.

#7 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

GOT DAMN!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by thenexusrebound (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they planned for the influx, because the servers are barely hanging on.

#9 Posted by longbowhunter (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

I managed to snag a couple things before download errors started occurring.

#10 Posted by EuanLauder (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm doenloading about 100 of them on the app just now

#11 Posted by LifePool (137 posts) - - Show Bio

So awesome!!

I may go digital, will make the transition smoother this way.

#12 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. Just found out about this and ComiXology's servers are down. :/

#13 Posted by nappystr8 (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

This all sounds really cool. I'm still a print guy, but it is nice to see that Marvel is working so hard to embrace new technology and a changing market. And 700 free digital issues...I best get busy downloading!

#14 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

First?

#15 Posted by CrimAldan (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Welp, I guess now I have a real reason to purchase a tablet. Suggestions anyone? (I've been thinking Asus Transformer or MeMO)

#16 Posted by webling (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I get why they want to add an auditory component to reading comics but that demo just sounded like low-effort techno. I usually just listen to my library on shuffle which I can still keep doing. It's not for me but does anyone find Gamma interesting?

#17 Edited by ptigrusmagus (495 posts) - - Show Bio

cool.

#18 Posted by Alcamin (87 posts) - - Show Bio

The 700 #1's offer seems to have caused comiXology some real server head aches. No big surprise. There's obviously high demand.

#19 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Project Gamma sounds like a waste of time...

But I don't like noise while I read, so I just don't like the idea. But hey, whoever is into it...hope you like it. (but really...who is gonna actually do that?).

#20 Posted by Z3RO180 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY FREE STUFF :D

#21 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7550 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this announcement was going to be totally different

#22 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

Already downloading. It's a lot of work and patience. Think I've only cracked around 30% off the free stuff.

#23 Posted by dondave (38882 posts) - - Show Bio

@thenexusrebound: @longbowhunter: what sites do you download the comics from?

#24 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm making my way through a lot of downloads. I'll have to recheck at some point though to see whether I actually got all the ones I tried for, haha.

Having this only run for three days was a surefire way to screw over Comixology's servers though. Should've given at least a week. Can't imagine how bad it'll get when people actually catch on.

#25 Posted by mikeclark1982 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

i can not download a comic! marvel is trying hard! heh

#26 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

Download error. I don't even know if I can download all of it ugh.

#27 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@thenexusrebound: @longbowhunter: what sites do you download the comics from?

https://www.comixology.com

Have fun reading free issues.

#28 Posted by blur1528 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

@CombatSpoon86: This with the combination of the iOS app updates has it completely broken. The iOS interface is now like the Android one which I always detested. I'd rather see a list of comic issues that I own rather than comic series.

I made the mistake of trying to redeem codes today... Those aren't showing up...

#29 Posted by blackkitty (352 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they really add a random soundtrack cause... I see this getting extremely annoying very quickly. Not to mention, marvel's digital comics are just too expensive. I don't understand why they're pretty much the same cost as a regular issue with printing costs, distibution, etc. makes no sense...

#30 Posted by spidershamrock (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

I would never be able to read and listen to music, too distracting. Reading anything is the one thing I cant multi task with

#31 Posted by AWeekInGeekdom (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Free stuff is always great :) !! Now please ppl, pause your downloads so I can finish mine hehe!

#32 Posted by thatlad (584 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think comicvine are giving this promotion the attention it deserves this is massive it includes one shots, preludes, epilogues...I just got all issues of The List, collected that would cost over £10. We all know the comic industry needs to bring in broader customers, well get the word out. iPhones and iPads are near ubiquitous, tell people to get the comics app and get some freebies. Hopefully people will get hooked. Yes the comics app has had freebies before but not this many and this high quality. Well done marvel this is much better that any reboot gimmick

#33 Posted by Overlander (551 posts) - - Show Bio

I downloaded Marvel Unlimited on my iPad. Not sure how I feel about the UI, but I've been enjoying using the Marvel Comics app (powered by Comixology) for the last 6 months. Digital is definitely the way to go.

#34 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

Excuse me... I need to head to Comixology.com right now!

#35 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Madefire comics have already done this.It's sounds what Marvel is trying to do.Check out this example of a holocaust story.It sounds good.I expect DC to be doing this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeMma6vXyxg

#36 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! Marvel is becoming very innovative in the comic industry and trying their best to gain new readers as well as keeping existing readers interested in comics. I wonder if DC will try anything?

#37 Posted by ComicAddict2814 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel is giving away all these #1 issues for free digitally, please stop charging us 3.99/comic just for a digital code. I would prefer the option of paying an extra dollar for a digital copy if I want one. On a side note, does it devalue your comic if you tear that sticker off to reveal the code?

#38 Posted by sparty-dbq (849 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, am I gonna have to get all those freebies at 4 in the morning when there's less traffic?

#39 Posted by KingHippp0 (4 posts) - - Show Bio
Marvel Unlimited is not avaiable on mobile devices with an all-new app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with an app coming soon to Android devices.

Sorry, but is this supposed to read "now available"? Otherwise, why are you talking about this?

#40 Posted by G-Man (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatlad: Sorry dude. I work seven days a week on the site. I was trying to actually spend time with my family when this news was announced.

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

More ways to make us comic readers lazy huh? lol Ah well, I like it...though I have a Kindle so it doesn't really matter to me...

#42 Posted by saoakden (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried buying all the Marvel NOW! books and the website acts all weird. It makes it act like I didn't buy any of them. I tried it on the Marvel website and it says I have bought the comics but its not there. I tried it on comicxology too but it failed too.. What the heck is going on?

#43 Posted by DarklyDreamingDeadpool (174 posts) - - Show Bio

great i can't even log in to download something...............

#44 Posted by webling (139 posts) - - Show Bio

If you can, use Comixology or Marvel apps instead of the websites. The Comixology app is downloading a bunch of Marvel NOW! for me while the website won't even let me log in.

#45 Posted by thatlad (584 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: no worries, wouldn't expect you to either family first. Sorry if it came across critical

I've said it already but what a great promotion, just read 5 marvel now comics on the way to work and I'll probably pick up two of them.

#46 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have not read Hawkeye yet, here's your chance to get issue 1 for free.

I'm blown away by the titles being offered here: Miller and Claremont's Wolverine, all the Marvel NOW!, classic 1st appearances from the 60s, they're even including annuals! Once Comixology's techs have their server issues worked out, I am going to go on a downloading spree!

#47 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

@webling said:

If you can, use Comixology or Marvel apps instead of the websites. The Comixology app is downloading a bunch of Marvel NOW! for me while the website won't even let me log in.

I agree. I keep getting server errors on the Comixology website, but my transactions are all going through on my iPhone app.

#48 Posted by sparty-dbq (849 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else still experiencing problems with this? I actually did try at 4 AM like I joked about (I was already up for work related stuff) and I'm still getting the "Cannot connect to comic store" error.

#49 Edited by CTG (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackkitty said:

Did they really add a random soundtrack cause... I see this getting extremely annoying very quickly. Not to mention, marvel's digital comics are just too expensive. I don't understand why they're pretty much the same cost as a regular issue with printing costs, distibution, etc. makes no sense...

Bandwidth to power the downloads costs money. Comixology is also getting a cut. Digitizing the comics to the appropriate format also costs money.

So while there are no costs involved w/ printing, there are definitely costs of going digital.

#50 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5293 posts) - - Show Bio

As usual DC is lagging behind Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.