Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel U. better off without the X-men mythos?

• 102 results
    littleloup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought this was a good idea until someone mentioned that the hypocrisy is what makes the analogy work. The mutants aren't hated for their powers, but because of their genes, and perhaps because humanity is afraid of being genetically ussurped. Real racist actions are often committed in the name of 'protecting race', this is a good parallel. Just think of the way people react to statistics about what races are growing the most in America, there are some truly scary responses. It should be addressed though. Also I think it would be cool if 'mutant allies' were allowed in the X-Men superteam, to show the public how little a difference there really is.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

NO Marvel isn't better off without it.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

I thought this was a good idea until someone mentioned that the hypocrisy is what makes the analogy work.

" I think that without the hypocrisy of some super-powered people being excepted as heroes while mutants are feared as a whole, the general fear of mutants can somehow be justified because of their powers, thus weakening the analogy."? I think that was me..

The mutants aren't hated for their powers, but because of their genes, and perhaps because humanity is afraid of being genetically ussurped. Real racist actions are often committed in the name of 'protecting race', this is a good parallel. Just think of the way people react to statistics about what races are growing the most in America, there are some truly scary responses. It should be addressed though.

that's a pretty good point, and definitely speaks to the innate hypocrisy of the racism analogy.

Also I think it would be cool if 'mutant allies' were allowed in the X-Men superteam, to show the public how little a difference there really is.

Yeah, I really like that idea. I always like that Ms.Marvel had been an X-man for a little while, but she's really one of the only ones. Mimic and Longshot? there haven't been many, at any rate. Someone like the Falcon who's pretty established as an Avenger might be pretty interesting (although, I think technically he is a mutant, just not a very powerful one by nature). Ooh, or Hercules?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.