Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Statue Censorship ?

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IcePrince_X

I am not going to even to attempt to psychoanalyze these people who "censor" a 3D work of art. For me, it started with Sideshow's Premium Format Rogue statue whose prototype debut in San Diego Comic Con last year has a good "butt" - meaning its has the line that all normal looking butt will have if one is wearing a spandex as a costume. This is how she is drawn in comics as well. Just last month, the statue finally came through and its weird that Sideshow literally erased the butt - what made it weird is it did not even attempt to re-sculpt it to make it more justifiable.

No Caption Provided

Now what is making me concern is that Bowen Design - the company termed as the one who catapulted the statue business to its current success has come to this dilemma as well..

No Caption Provided

Goblin Queen has always been portrayed as having this costume - a revealing top where her chest is barely-covered. I know some people may have issues with it but this is how she was drawn and created. So, if one is expecting a statue she will be exactly costumed like this. In fact, Diamond Select made a good rendition of her.

Now, Bowen Design made their version as well, sculpted by the Legendary Tim Miller. But she came out looking like this.

No Caption Provided

Now, is Marvel all of the sudden making their characters PG-13? These statues are being collected by adults whose childhood was littered by their characters wearing these type of costumes. Why are they being alienated and even denied of a work of art that is true to its rendition and form? Hmmm...

Or is this the effect of Marvel being bought by Disney? Note that the Diamond Select statue was done before the sale of Marvel to Disney. Hmmm...

I hope that Marvel should note that these $250 to $499 statues are not meant for children but for adults who love their characters. I do not get their logic for the censorship and its going to hurt the statue business if they continue to make things like these. The statues are done in taste anyway and not made to look sensual or demeaning to the character. Also, the statue manufacturer invested to get a license with them, shouldn't they be given a chance to give what their market wants?

What is your opinion on this?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

That's ridiculous. Look at their changed versions, are those any less sexual in nature? This is just stupid.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IcePrince_X

What makes it worse to collectors like me is that we pay nearly $350 getting this statue... this is way too unfair.

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

I don`t think that it`s too bad what they did on Rogues boody, but You are right about the changing characters costumes because of sexism thing :S I am not a big fan of the goblin queen neither of her costume but that`s not fair towards the fans !

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

i actually think Rogues butt looks almost identical in the pictures just with different lighting, and while i cna see your point on the Goblin Queen i actually like the second one better. I agree they should look like the drawings but i like the ragged look of the clothes and the arm stockings of the second one. If they would have mixed those aspects with the chest of the first one would you complain?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.