Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Speed Feats

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By kidman560

has anyone ever noticed that every single Marvel Speed feat is scrutinized with a fine tooth comb, while DC speed feats are automatically taken at there word?

for example Beta Ray Bill knocking back a Bull Rushing Silver Surfer should be a nano second reaction feat. however i heard these remarks

"theres no way to tell how fast they were going?"

they were making stars look like a blur and if they were going anything slower that Light Speed Surfer would have caught up with them without even trying (as he easily breaks this)

"Surfer wasn't trying to hurt him?"

theres no indication of that, in fact Surfer was trying to destroy the ship, seems like that is pretty hostile

and many other arguments, its like , and its mostly DC fans i have noticed, these people cant have a nano second reaction marvel character. i think its because thats the only thing DC superheros have going for them, and if that is taken away then Marvel characters would dominate the battle board (usually). but i mean c'mon thats a nano second reaction feat there.

No Caption Provided

this is another prime example. Nova Prime is a nano second reaction time (and this is proof) Drax has tagged people like Captain Marvel (Mar'vell), Silver Surfer, and Thanos. yet for some Reason Nova Prime is constantly labeled as too slow for people like Super Man and Wonder Woman

im not done yet

Hyperion

i dont have any scans but i still have people tell me that he isn't a nano second reaction guy (i'm hoping Hickmans latest series will rectify that) but i had thought before hand that he was a nano-second guy anyways

Conclusion

why are DC speed feats taken at their word? while Marvel feats are scrutinized for every detail?

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kidman560
    green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@green_skaar maybe you know the answer to this?

Trust me, I've noticed and been vocal about this double standard in the past which has fallen on deaf ears. I'm glad others are independently noticing this as well. It's just the current culture of CV. I've noticed through the years different trends, and that is the one of the current ones. Will probably take a long long time to change. I could go on a long rant about this, but you covered a lot what I'd say and I'm just not feeling ambitious tonight.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really want to get this notcied so ill bump it

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm going to bump this because marvel should stay at the speed it's at. I don't want every hero especially Thor and hulk to all of a sudden be too fast for humans to follow their movements. Dc speed feats are so fast that it gets goofy as I can't comprehend a fight like that and unless it's a speedster then there really isn't a point.

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC speed feats are more often directly stated and demonstrated then in marvel. But I see where you are coming from, for example Super-Man does'nt always use his super speed in the comics but it always comes into play during the cv battles. Also one thing that ticks me off is that that Captain Marvel (dc) has almost no speed feats but is almost always put above most marvel and even some dc characters because "he fought superman" but hasnt shown much speed of his own.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@childoftheatom: Humans can't follow Hulk at his fastest unless they are not an average joe

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@kidman560: DC and Marvel speed feats (flash's dont count) seem to be equal.

Hell,people underestimate Thor and Beta Ray Bill and Gladiator and etc.

Even the street levelers like Spiderman,Wolverine and Cap are underestimated.

The same thing happens to DC characters. From the looks of it,it looks like you deal with fanboys.

Fanboys don't look at things from an objective standpoint. They look at it from the position of "who do I want to win?" and work backwards.

They will even make desperate measures of ignoring and dismissing arguments/feats of other characters. Not only that,but they may overrate the abilities of their own characters and make weak,desperate connections.

A fanboy's mind works on wishful thinking (one even admitted it to me),not fact. It's best to just ignore them.

Now,this actually depends. For example,if someone said that "Captain America (or Batman) can move at light speed",and someone were to say "no he can't",then they would be telling the truth. They wouldn't be fanboys.....of course that's obvious,but I have a feeling that someone is going to try and twist my words.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm going to bump this because marvel should stay at the speed it's at. I don't want every hero especially Thor and hulk to all of a sudden be too fast for humans to follow their movements. Dc speed feats are so fast that it gets goofy as I can't comprehend a fight like that and unless it's a speedster then there really isn't a point.

first off i see where you are coming from but at full speed both Hulk and Thor move faster than the eye can follow

@army2442 said:

DC speed feats are more often directly stated and demonstrated then in marvel. But I see where you are coming from, for example Super-Man does'nt always use his super speed in the comics but it always comes into play during the cv battles. Also one thing that ticks me off is that that Captain Marvel (dc) has almost no speed feats but is almost always put above most marvel and even some dc characters because "he fought superman" but hasnt shown much speed of his own.

thanks for agreeing and providing backup

The same thing happens to DC characters. From the looks of it,it looks like you deal with fanboys.

Fanboys don't look at things from an objective standpoint. They look at it from the position of "who do I want to win?" and work backwards.

They will even make desperate measures of ignoring and dismissing arguments/feats of other characters. Not only that,but they may overrate the abilities of their own characters and make weak,desperate connections.

A fanboy's mind works on wishful thinking (one even admitted it to me),not fact. It's best to just ignore them.

Now,this actually depends. For example,if someone said that "Captain America (or Batman) can move at light speed",and someone were to say "no he can't",then they would be telling the truth. They wouldn't be fanboys.....of course that's obvious,but I have a feeling that someone is going to try and twist my words.

ill be adding more to this thread tell me what you think... btw the first person that twists your words will get pimp smacked by me dont worry... your post was educated, reasonable, and most importantly neutral AND THAT IS REALLY ALL I WANT! is for everyone to be neutral (but that wont happen)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cameron83

@childoftheatom said:

first off i see where you are coming from but at full speed both Hulk and Thor move faster than the eye can follow

@army2442 said:

@cameron83 said:

ill be adding more to this thread tell me what you think... btw the first person that twists your words will get pimp smacked by me dont worry... your post was educated, reasonable, and most importantly neutral AND THAT IS REALLY ALL I WANT! is for everyone to be neutral (but that wont happen)

In an issue of Avengers,Thor was going to call down lightning on a robot that had children in the head (Thor didnt know) and Hyperion got the children out before the lightning struck. That counts as a speed feat.in my book.

It was number 12,I believe

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@childoftheatom said:

@army2442 said:

@cameron83 said:

Also,that is an awesome feat for Nova. I never knew he can move so fast. Any more for him and other characters?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a golden post

IRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IRS

Really it's because the DC speed is pretty well documented and quite frankly your choice for speed feats could be better. For example lets go over your beta ray bill feat.

No Caption Provided

First we see a blurry background of stars but that doesn't mean much. It tells us they're going fast enough to blur the background but the range of speed able to do that is too wide making it too subjective to be useful. One thing I've learned from the battle forums is that it's like a court, your evidence better be well documented because it's going to be scrutinized. Then you say "if they were going anything slower that Light Speed Surfer would have caught up with them without even trying (as he easily breaks this)". How do you know how fast surfer is going here? Just because he can go that fast doesn't mean he is going that fast. Superman is supposed to be just below light-speed or something but the number of hits he takes shows us he sure as heck doesn't move that fast all the time and just because he fights someone doesn't mean they can go that fast either. Writers tend to intentionally make fast characters move a lot slower then they should because it makes a better story.

And then you have that whole mess of "travel speed" vs "combat speed" which I refuse to get in to. So really there's nothing in the scan we can build on.

DC speed feats were usually built from scans like this:

No Caption Provided

There. He ran through a crowd searching for someone in a picosecond. Timestamped. Explicitly stated, non-negotiable.

Or something like this:

No Caption Provided

Not exactly timed but outright stated he can go light speed and shown to go just under.

And ABC logic doesn't hold either. Just because Drax managed to tag Mar'vell or Surfer doesn't mean he's as fast as them. Not everyone (or even most people) who hit flash can move as fast as him. Writers make fast guys slower to make plots work or fights better. Stated and Objective feats are what you should go for and then build a case from there. Which shouldn't be too hard with Marvel cosmics.

Here's a quick tip. See if there are any respect threads out there, especially for popular characters. They do your work for you.

For example, here's two for Beta Ray Bill:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/majestic99/blog/respect-beta-ray-bill/82456/

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t399848.html

The first link has documented travel and reaction feats. Use those in your fight.

Good luck.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irs said:

Really it's because the DC speed is pretty well documented and quite frankly your choice for speed feats could be better. For example lets go over your beta ray bill feat.

No Caption Provided

First we see a blurry background of stars but that doesn't mean much. It tells us they're going fast enough to blur the background but the range of speed able to do that is too wide making it too subjective to be useful. One thing I've learned from the battle forums is that it's like a court, your evidence better be well documented because it's going to be scrutinized. Then you say "if they were going anything slower that Light Speed Surfer would have caught up with them without even trying (as he easily breaks this)". How do you know how fast surfer is going here? Just because he can go that fast doesn't mean he is going that fast. Superman is supposed to be just below light-speed or something but the number of hits he takes shows us he sure as heck doesn't move that fast all the time and just because he fights someone doesn't mean they can go that fast either. Writers tend to intentionally make fast characters move a lot slower then they should because it makes a better story.

And then you have that whole mess of "travel speed" vs "combat speed" which I refuse to get in to. So really there's nothing in the scan we can build on.

DC speed feats were usually built from scans like this:

No Caption Provided

There. He ran through a crowd searching for someone in a picosecond. Timestamped. Explicitly stated, non-negotiable.

Or something like this:

No Caption Provided

Not exactly timed but outright stated he can go light speed and shown to go just under.

And ABC logic doesn't hold either. Just because Drax managed to tag Mar'vell or Surfer doesn't mean he's as fast as them. Not everyone (or even most people) who hit flash can move as fast as him. Writers make fast guys slower to make plots work or fights better. Stated and Objective feats are what you should go for and then build a case from there. Which shouldn't be too hard with Marvel cosmics.

Here's a quick tip. See if there are any respect threads out there, especially for popular characters. They do your work for you.

For example, here's two for Beta Ray Bill:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/majestic99/blog/respect-beta-ray-bill/82456/

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t399848.html

The first link has documented travel and reaction feats. Use those in your fight.

Good luck.

This should also be taken into consideration. Some feats are non-negotiable because they are explicitely stated,while others are just to give you a vague idea.

However,that depends on the writing.

Btw,just a question,but can Gladiator move in Picoseconds? Someone told me he can......and from his speed feats,I don't find it that arbitrary....

also,how fast is Thor?

IRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IRS

This should also be taken into consideration. Some feats are non-negotiable because they are explicitely stated,while others are just to give you a vague idea.

However,that depends on the writing.

Btw,just a question,but can Gladiator move in Picoseconds? Someone told me he can......and from his speed feats,I don't find it that arbitrary....

also,how fast is Thor?

I did just a little digging and here's what I got:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The first two images show Gladiator speed blitzing people. Speed isn't explicitly stated but still something to use in a fight to show he's at least faster than anyone without super speed. Reed's comment in the fourth image has him stating Gladiator is traveling at about 100 times the speed of light which I think may be where the picosecond thing is coming from. Of course with Gladiator one thing to always be aware of is his confidence level. Usually in threads he's at 100% but check anyway.

One thing to be aware of on the Battle forums here is that they differentiate between travel speed and combat speed. Just because we have scans showing heroes moving at certain speeds doesn't mean they are also capable of fighting at certain speeds (moving in a straight line from point a to point b versus dodging, punching etc.). The basic idea is that Usain Bolt does not fight at the same speed that he runs so the same logic is used in battle threads. This is pretty much because of the second two scans I posted. We have a lot of scans of heroes moving in space much much faster than they have ever shown in a fight because the writers needed them to get from planet A to Planet B to make their plot happen, never mind how many light years away it is.

So to sum up, yes Gladiator can move at picoseconds, but I haven't found anything to say he can fight at those speeds (not saying he can't do it, just that I haven't found it in the minutes I spent looking). I am also not a wealth of information on Gladiator.

As for Thor. Well, he can certainly travel really fast but I don't know about fighting. We have a few feats of him fighting really fast, we have a lot lotmore of him fighting at average speed. It's a little subjective but in my opinion...well let's just say that super speed is one of the first powers Superman seems to forget he has and he still uses it more times in a few months than I think Thor has ever done in a fight.

Grain of salt though. Find some of the old scans of Thor and see how far you can push it :P.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irs: Thank you,sir!

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irs: Don't forget the time when he passed through 'dilated time' with speed

Lordmulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

this scan shows that surfer was probably millions of miles away if not light years away from the woman[second panel]

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By MatthewParker

Bump

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

has anyone ever noticed that every single Marvel Speed feat is scrutinized with a fine tooth comb, while DC speed feats are automatically taken at there word?

Gallery

for example Beta Ray Bill knocking back a Bull Rushing Silver Surfer should be a nano second reaction feat. however i heard these remarks

"theres no way to tell how fast they were going?"

they were making stars look like a blur and if they were going anything slower that Light Speed Surfer would have caught up with them without even trying (as he easily breaks this)

"Surfer wasn't trying to hurt him?"

theres no indication of that, in fact Surfer was trying to destroy the ship, seems like that is pretty hostile

and many other arguments, its like , and its mostly DC fans i have noticed, these people cant have a nano second reaction marvel character. i think its because thats the only thing DC superheros have going for them, and if that is taken away then Marvel characters would dominate the battle board (usually). but i mean c'mon thats a nano second reaction feat there.

No Caption Provided

this is another prime example. Nova Prime is a nano second reaction time (and this is proof) Drax has tagged people like Captain Marvel (Mar'vell), Silver Surfer, and Thanos. yet for some Reason Nova Prime is constantly labeled as too slow for people like Super Man and Wonder Woman

im not done yet

Hyperion

i dont have any scans but i still have people tell me that he isn't a nano second reaction guy (i'm hoping Hickmans latest series will rectify that) but i had thought before hand that he was a nano-second guy anyways

Conclusion

why are DC speed feats taken at their word? while Marvel feats are scrutinized for every detail?

Very nice bewb, hot

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.