Marvel Releases Marvel Digital Comics App 3.0 For iOS

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is tweaking the Marvel Comics digital reading experience for the iOS with the release of their Marvel Comics app 3.0. The update, which was made available for download earlier today, not only revamps the Marvel digital reading experience overall, but it will also updates the the app's browse and search functions and purchases and downloads. The new app will also feature a brand new interface which Marvel believes will make purchasing and reading much easier.

“Marvel is committed to giving our fans the best digital reading experience possible and with this latest upgrade to the Marvel Comics app, I’m proud to say we’re delivering just that,” said Peter Phillips, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Marvel Digital Media Group. “So whether you’re a fan of Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine or the Wizard of Oz, you’re going to find some great comics to read—and they’re going to look better than ever.”

To commemorate the release of the Marvel Comics app 3.0, Marvel will be having 6-day sale starting today and ending on December 6th, 2011. The sale will encompass many of the books Marvel launched throughout 2011 including ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN, FF and X-MEN: SCHISM. Some of the books will be priced as low as $0.99. What do you think of the news? Will you be downloading the new app to your iPod, iPad or iPhone? Check out an image of the all-new interface below and let us know if you think it improves the overall browsing and reading experience.

== TEASER ==
#1 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Swett I'll have to go check this out.

#2 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

The 99-cent thing is awesome. But I just don't have any money!

#3 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Great for people who actually love digital comics. But i need to have something in my hands (out of paper). But might check a few out. 0.99 is nice :)!

#4 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

More digitization. Hmm, well good for back issues I say, otherwise, don't care for it much really.

#5 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so just tried out a free comic, and it works beautifully, but why no streaming capabilities? Why no access to Digital Comics Unlimited? Why are there 5-dollar comics, when print is nicer and more expensive to produce? Just some thoughts.

#6 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

AMAZING! :D

#7 Posted by The Impersonator (4317 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11 said:

AMAZING! :D

#8 Posted by UchihaMatt (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, this update is long overdue! Hopefully the app no longer crashes on me...

#9 Posted by radar5 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

waiting for my Android option before I buy in.

#10 Posted by Blizaga101 (843 posts) - - Show Bio

i got this today and noticed how similiar the marvel looks to the dc app now, but i have to admit they both work great.

#11 Posted by thespidey99 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not ready to give money to digital. Until they can guarantee to me that in 35-40 years, I'll be able to read the issues I buy today on what ever technology is out then, without having to re-buy it... then we'll see. Been a comic fan for over 35 years, still have all my issues, graphic novels, tpbs etc... that i can grab and read all these years later. I really don't think digital can promise me that.

#12 Posted by wowylied (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespidey99 said:

Still not ready to give money to digital. Until they can guarantee to me that in 35-40 years, I'll be able to read the issues I buy today on what ever technology is out then, without having to re-buy it... then we'll see. Been a comic fan for over 35 years, still have all my issues, graphic novels, tpbs etc... that i can grab and read all these years later. I really don't think digital can promise me that.

For the same reason with the price too (the dc52 digital are overpriced) and the fact they if you are not an us inhabitant it is english only (for me it is no problem, but for the majority of the world it is).

#13 Posted by xfiles2099 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@radar5 said:

Marvel is on Android now at least it is on my device.

I like the Marvel app but i still perfer to have the comic in my hands

I think digital comics are just going to be a 2nd option as long as there is to money to make in print

they will continue to print comics

#14 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

@xfiles2099 said:

@radar5 said:

Marvel is on Android now at least it is on my device.

I like the Marvel app but i still perfer to have the comic in my hands

I think digital comics are just going to be a 2nd option as long as there is to money to make in print

they will continue to print comics

I could imagine the digital "prints" taking over the issues monthly releases someday..yet TPB (hardcovers and softcover) still being made available at the end of each storyarc/volume.

That way you could try various series, pretty cheap so easier to try a bit of each..and then only "buy" materially the ones you like/collect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.