Marvel Reboot - Fearless Defenders

Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I give Marvel credit for at least trying to promote their female characters with their own title, but there newest offering has many glaring issues:

1 - Fearless Defenders is just a terrible name, makes the New Warriors sound regal in comparison.

2 - Valkryie, Misty Knight, and Dani Moonstar are a very underwhelming base (and I like Dani)

3 - Tying the premise to the Valkyrior really does not help with wide appeal to casual readers

Acting under the assumption that this title has a very limited shelf life, what would you do if Marvel gave you the green light to do a female team with no restrictions other than it should be able to stand on it's own feet and have a chance of being a success.

Team Name -

Premise -

Roster (Up to 6) -

Writer -

Artist -

#1 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

ok I'll Bite..

The Champions ( Great name not being used, do we need another Young Fantastic Avenging X Defender Warriors for Hire?

Premise- Marvel's first all female corporate funded super team! The team that gets your cat out of the tree, the team that will be their to open the latest shopping mall, that is of course when their done handing Firelord his ass on a platter

Leader- Jessica Jones ( they have great benefits and babysitting facilities)

Frankie Raye- depowered NOVA, Firestar, Patsy Walke Hellcat ( I love her I'd stick her on Uncanny X-force if they let me lol) , Man-Killer ( reformed Master of Evil) and rounding it out Namorita!

Writer Joe Kelly

Artist Amanda Conner

BOOM

I would read it, not sure who else would lol

#2 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't too long ago that it was reported Marjorie Liu approached the powers that be at Marvel and pitched an idea with well known female characters. She was shot down which I still don't get, but oh well. I want and will support this new book since Valkyrie and Misty are well liked by me and the mention of Dani solidified my decision. I like the idea of guest appearances by other characters as well, so hopefully the series will be successful.

Fearless Defenders is a bit lame. I wouldn't want a title referring to their gender because that just makes me cringe.

Here's the thread that X35 put up discussing the Marjorie Liu idea.

#3 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis:

I do remember reading that thread, not sure if I commented on it or not.

I would really like to hear Marvel explain how that foursome is somehow less bankable than the lineup of Fearless Defenders given so far, I'm willing to put up good money that they couldn't without sounding ridiculous. If you were to have both concepts in a poll of the fans I would fully expect Lu's idea to win by a wide if not overwhelming margin.

If Marvel wants to have a successful female character driven title, you have to do so with your best foot forward. This means involving your most popular characters, none of which are involved here. This is not a slam on the characters involved as I like Dani Moonstar, this is just being realistic as to what has a chance of survival much less success in the current market.

#4 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect:

Exactly!

My first thought discovering this new title was "wah??"

How they could go forward with this, when Liu's idea would have the greatest chance at success, I have no idea. How can they be so disconnected from what fans want? You and I both know this title won't last past the first few arcs and although I will attempt to be loyal to it --- its not going to work unless they change things up quick and put up a format with headliners like Liu's proposed group. Even worse, if they point to this as proof that an all female title will never be successful, I will eat the first five issues of the damn thing.

Its frustrating and annoying and grrrr.....

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the biggest problem with this team is that they don't have any ground to cover. There's 3 Avengers teams, the Marvel Universe doesn't need the Fearless Defenders. I would respond to the OP, but I get stuck at "premise" because I don't have a clue what it is, this team would even have room to do.

#6 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro:

They can't make it a Hero for Hire shpeel -- and there is already the X-Treme title going after alt universes. Very good point, just what are these characters going to be doing?

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

The roster isn't good for me either.Misty Knight was never interesting to me and the only character I kinda like is Valkyrie.The name is just terrible and right now I don't think there is an actual need of their team.There are too many superhero teams in the Marvel Universe.

#8 Posted by NazarethSavage (214 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

@Vance Astro:

They can't make it a Hero for Hire shpeel -- and there is already the X-Treme title going after alt universes. Very good point, just what are these characters going to be doing?

I think they are supposed to be something like the "Defenders" since they are taking part of their name and have one of their main members (Valkyrie) and they usually dealt with supernatural stuff and those obscure villains that the Avengers stopped using.
#9 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@NazarethSavage:

Yes --- which would explain the zombie vikings. Still -- is that going to be enough to sustain the title?

Oh, actually --- I just remembered! There will be a new female villain introduced through this book. So that is interesting.

#10 Posted by NazarethSavage (214 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

@NazarethSavage:

Yes --- which would explain the zombie vikings. Still -- is that going to be enough to sustain the title?

Oh, actually --- I just remembered! There will be a new female villain introduced through this book. So that is interesting.

No, I don't think so. Marvel never goes back to the drawing board through. They try something, it doesn't work..they do it again. They should know by now that their female characters aren't popular enough to carry this book and they fact they don't even use their most popular female characters almost makes me feel like they didn't want this to work out.
#11 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@NazarethSavage:

I agree. They should have headed this new book with stronger and more well-known characters and it doesn't even have to be female-centric. Why can't they have went with Black Widow and Kitty Pryde? Or Storm? One Avenger, one X-Men and then have various heroes both superhuman and mutant make appearances, regardless of gender. At least that way they have an opportunity to keep this book alive when it starts to dive sales-wise.

I am a really big Rogue fan and despite people feeling she's had a lot of focus put on her during Legacy's run, I think she would have been a better fit than Valkyrie. Even Captain Marvel -- just because she has her own book doesn't mean she can't be regularly shown in this one.

It just seems poorly thought out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.