Marvel Reboot???

• 92 results
#1 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, it has been about 3 months since DC has announced their "reboot/revamp" and about 5 days since the comic has been released. DC is making a very good move rebooting their franchise and im sure most of you are excited for this months titles apart of the new 52. You would think that all this would help DC get more readers and new fans, which would bring in more money. So that brings up Marvel, the two are always at it with each other. What if Marvel decided to reboot? Do you think it would happen? Do you think they ever would? More importantly does anyone think it would be a good move for the franchise???

#2 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
NO. 
One of Marvel's few remaining redeeming qualities is that it doesn't do stuff like that. Marvel (at the time) doesn't even need one anyways.
#3 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

They won't do it. But I wouldn't mind if they did, I've always wanted easy access into the Marvel Universe, and that would make things a lot more accessible.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel needs a reboot more than DC ever did

#5 Edited by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'd probably hate this, even though it would be cool to see Spider-Man as a teenager again in the mainstream universe (personally I'v always liked him more as a teenager than an adult, but that's just me) I know that if Marvel rebooted the universe characters like Bucky Barnes (my all time favorite comic book character) would probably vanish like Wally West in favor of the more iconic characters like Steve Rogers (even though I don't see what more they could do to butcher Bucky.... -__-) but honestly it would probably end up like the Ultimate Universe was when it started. Spidey would be a teenager, The Avengers would probably end up working for S.H.I.E.L.D., the X-Men would be in their late teens early adulthood's, ect.

With some interesting twist they could possibly do some new things with it, but overall I don't think it would go over as well as it is for DC at the moment.

#6 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

No, no and no. 
DC's continuity has always been messy and has actually been rebooted a good few times, it was an utter mess. Marvel doesn't need it and if it ever did reboot I'd be severely upset

#7 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio

My fears is that if they did Deadpool would suck, Thanos would have to start from the beginning again! Spiderman as a Teenager wouldnt bug me but im sick of hearing his origin, its like every day I hear it now. For Fantactis 4 that would be nice for them. Bucky would vanish which would suck big time. It would probably take years before we saw Carnage or Mysterio again considering they dont do to much with them as it is, maybe Scorpion but I dont know. But in the end it would be nicer for people like Hank Pym who has like 6 super hero identities, maybe then he could just stick to one???

#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
This is true.
#9 Posted by SC (12892 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel would wait until like 6 to 8 months from now, to see how DC sales go before doing anything similar. I mean, seriously, why and how do people list personal preferences as objective facts? (no one in particular here, just something I note generally lol) Comic fans are meant to be more savvy than that lol, DC was almost forced into making this move because Marvel is being more successful. Why would Marvel then turn around and make such a drastic billion dollar decision on the basis of some fan optimism after their biggest competition was forced into making such a huge creative decision affecting its entire line?  

If they did? Well its complicated. Complicated questions require complicated answers not really yes or no answers. It could be a good move, it could be a bad move, it depends. Plus new fans traditionally don't stick around, and new fans don't stay new for long, and then they become old fans who are like most of the other old fans who tend to be loyal and the same types of fans that get annoyed when new fans are catered too, for short term profits and potentially not as profitable longer term profits.  

One last thing. Heroes Reborn. I am sure there were people that thought it was an awesome move, and subjectively speaking they might have been right. Oh, and remember one of the big reasons Marvel pulled ahead of DC, was because they changed pricing/page numbers, DC followed suit, then Marvel switched again. Following your competitors moves sometimes can be the dumbest thing to do. Much more complicated stuff to work though. 

#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@spiderbat87 said:
This is true.
#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (62 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends do you want to see the movie versions of characters be the official characterization?

Because if they did a reboot it would be to bring in new readers, and that's exactly how they would sell it as.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23744 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't they already reboot? it's called the "Ultimate Universe"...and even that has already rebooted twice

#13 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I woudn't even mind  if they did one. But on the other hand, I dont want to see it happen. Marvel fans aren't used to reboots like DC fans are. It might be a risky gamble.

Marvel's brand right now is strong in both fronts(comic and mainstream). If  this reboot doesn't boost DC's brand a year from now, Marvel probably wont bother with one. But if it does, we might see some sort of a relaunch. And if we do see one, Disney will definitely market the hell out of it. That would be something Marvel would acknowledge  if they do indeed plan to go with a reboot.

#14 Posted by danhimself (22442 posts) - - Show Bio

no....the reason why Marvel doesn't need one is because they haven't rebooted before....DC screwed it's own continuity by trying to fix it with previous reboots

#15 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: Im talking about 616 the mainstream universe not ultimate...
#16 Posted by The Stegman (23744 posts) - - Show Bio
@WildStyle@danhimself:  

people are talking about Dc rebooting like they do it all the time, they've only had two!! and both of them were needed!! 

@Comicfan47:  

i know, but in many ways, the ultimate universe is marvel's attempt at a reboot of classic characters
#17 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't need it won't do it. 
Marvel is smart enough to know better than to destroy the tapestry that is their product, DC is run by goofballs. 
This would only happen if the Kirby Family wins their appeal against Marvel.(Fingers Crossed)

#18 Edited by The Myth (551 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel attempted a reboot back in the 90's after the Onslaught event, which didn't go to well with fans so the idea got scrapped after Heroes Reborn
Altough if done right I guess Marvel could pull it off this time round!
#19 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Myth said:

Marvel attempted a reboot back in the 90's after the Onslaught event, which didn't go to well with fans so the idea got scrapped after Heroes Reborn! Altough if done right I guess Marvel could pull it off this time round!
Wasn't a reboot. Marvel NEVER rebooted it's core universe. Stay focused kids.
#20 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: The Ultimate line wasn't a definite reboot, either. But no, Marvel doesn't need a reboot. It needs an enema.

#21 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@turoksonofstone: The Ultimate line wasn't a definite reboot, either. But no, Marvel doesn't need a reboot. It needs an enema.

"This would only happen if the Kirby Family wins their appeal against Marvel.(Fingers Crossed)" 
Agreed. 
#22 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2198 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
didn't they already reboot? it's called the "Ultimate Universe"...and even that has already rebooted twice
Ultimate hasn't been rebooted at all.  Unlike what's happening at DC, Ultimate has had actual relaunches.  All of its continuity has been maintained.  

And the problem with the Ultimate line is that a large portion of fan favorites, from Peter Parker on down, are all dead.  That's a large hurdle for people to scale.
#23 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has never done a full wide reboot, just some changes here and there but nothing as spectacular as the DC new Universe. I don't think they will and I personally wouldn't prefer it either. The DC reboot is interesting but it was unnecessary.

#24 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
@sesquipedalophobe said:

"This would only happen if the Kirby Family wins their appeal against Marvel.(Fingers Crossed)" 
Agreed. 
work for hire is work for hire.
#25 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone: Kirby already lost.
#26 Posted by MrMazz (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

No its not like there continuity is restricting if anything use it more to replace stupid storylines *cough*clone saga*cough*. The only way I see this happening in a meaningful way is they do some mega push to get a casuals from movies invested in the books. I wish they had a better digital storefront honestly.

#27 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@zombietag said:
@turoksonofstone said:
@sesquipedalophobe said:

Agreed. 
work for hire is work for hire.
So you would have us believe.. 
@Comicfan47 said:
@turoksonofstone: Kirby already lost.
Round 1. Yes. Appeal is underway now. 
@MrMazz said:

No its not like there continuity is restricting if anything use it more to replace stupid storylines *cough*clone saga*cough*. The only way I see this happening in a meaningful way is they do some mega push to get a casuals from movies invested in the books. I wish they had a better digital storefront honestly.

Movie fans are transient and tend to go with Hollywood's chosen Blockbuster of the moment. The Comic Medium doesn't need them it doesn't need to cater to Hollywood themes either. 
casuals are just that casuals. Comics need Comic fans. 
#28 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio

From what we all know of Marvel and DC is this;

1.  Marvel has great characters but s***y story lines to really back them up.
  2. DC has s***y characters but with great stories.
DC needs the reboot for the sake of the stale characters it has. and its great now they have writers who have been fans to write for there favorite characters and maybe add some depth to them.
Marvel on the other hand does not need a reboot as they pump out a new event or mini series every couple of months. if anything they need to focus on indiviual series and stop trying to do crossover events all the time. while yes they are good there needs to be more self contained events and stop doing the stupid miniseries tie-ins.
#29 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I think their future is in need of a reboot. Wildthing was boring character even though she had interesting power. J2 stories had the weakest in that series.  Now spider-girl no longer exist the one interesting aspect of that future.

#30 Posted by MrMazz (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: comics completely needs the casual masses they move the needle and bring in the money. Yea we might not like it but turning down money is not good buisness.Sure there not consistant but getting them in ever say three months for event X is better than not having them.

#31 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz said:

@turoksonofstone: comics completely needs the casual masses they move the needle and bring in the money. Yea we might not like it but turning down money is not good buisness.Sure there not consistant but getting them in ever say three months for event X is better than not having them.

I would gladly not have an event for a whole year or 2, or even 5 would be great. Marvel needs to focus on telling character stories. not crossover events.
#32 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz said:

Comic fans have kept the medium alive this long, the second a publisher puts another audience ahead of the core one it begins to fall apart at the seems..As of late comics seem to have been dumbed down quite a bit as a result of appealing to the elusive (AKA non-existent) new reader, sales continue to fall, the medium continues  to fail to grow, Actual fans are leaving while casuals buy TPB's. 
#33 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
@MrMazz said:

Comic fans have kept the medium alive this long, the second a publisher puts another audience ahead of the core one it begins to fall apart at the seems..As of late comics seem to have been dumbed down quite a bit as a result of appealing to the elusive (AKA non-existent) new reader, sales continue to fall, the medium continues  to fail to grow, Actual fans are leaving while casuals buy TPB's. 
AMEN!
#34 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: So then it all boils down to location and advertising, not so much the reboot. I noticed grocery stores don't carry but a few comics, but I equate those to shipping errors.

#35 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@turoksonofstone: So then it all boils down to location and advertising, not so much the reboot. I noticed grocery stores don't carry but a few comics, but I equate those to shipping errors.

It's deeper than that from Monopolies on the Distribution end, Publishers screwing retailers, Overpriced books, Digital scans and editions, TPB's, Lawsuits over copyrights,the Death of Print Media, etc. and yes availability..  
My only concern is that the Medium itself persevere, Marvel and DC are perverse shades of the Ideals they convey through their heroes. And as leaders of this Industry grow more obsolete with each passing day.
#36 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel specializes in having a ridiculous amount of supporting characters and villains that are likeable and have loyal followers. If a reboot occurred, about 90% of these would be washed away into nothing.
If Marvel rebooted, it would be the coup de grace and it would diminish into nothing.

#37 Posted by MrMazz (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: than the industry needs to change because if you aren't growing your stagnating and dying. Honestly wish the industry would push more towards trades and copy the Manga style the Viz dose. Sure there are magazines like Shoen that have a bunch of different stuff in it but the easiest thing to do is buy trades.

Makes getting what to read easier and keeping up on it.

#38 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz:  
There is no logical comparison between the US and Japanese Comics Markets. 
Japans Audience is stronger made up and mostly composed of actual Manga fans not fleeting casuals. 
New readers should quit being lazy and get with the program, those that came before you had to learn back story why shouldn't this generation?  
Is this Generation Special that we meed to start over for them? LMAO. 
Read more back issues the best stories have already been told.
#39 Posted by MrMazz (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Read more back issues you mean like picking up a giant trade of say Essential Thor or X-Men or what have you? My comparison on the Manga front was more about the fact that a given storyline would most likely be in say 1 trade maybe 2 way easier than hunting down 7 issues.

Things that are hard alienate people so make it easier thats one of the problems with getting into comics your expected to go dive into say 5 years of crap, why? You have the internet and ComicVine. Hell I want DC and Marvel (one of them atl east) to buy Comixology or make a worth while ereader app and go big in with digital day and date releases Print media for the most part is dying best get in digitally now and build a rapport now. Sure it ruins the whole collecting thing but damn it those boxes take up space if you go crazy. Also the excuse it would make piracy easier is redundant since people already just scan the stuff anyway sure it may happen sooner but it still will happen.

#40 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is fine as is. 

It has a lot of continuity, and a lot of history... but that is good. 

If anything, it needs some cosmic force to "de-age" heroes to their "peak physical condition" to let them continue to fight and stave off aging.  But this would be pretty easy to do, if they wanted to... Secret Wars 12 or whatever, some cosmic douche de-ages everyone to around 25.  If you're clever, throw some civilians in there... or temporarily power the significant others you want brought up there.  Throw enough heroes and villains together into a group, and you'll get an epic story... sadly, too epic to be easy to follow, but if you do it in a Secret Invasion-esque crossover, you can probably do some good.

#41 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz:  
....some Manga stories run on seemingly forever and are often initially presented in serial format..Manga has a much higher visibility and gets far more respect than US comics ever have here. 

I started reading well into all the series i collected and actually it made it a richer experience to have continuity and a rich history  to learn about, modern readers are often shortchanged by reboots in this regard. 
As I said already a comic universe's continuity is a tapestry, Marvel has a huge one now and DC has this fourth (?) new one Jim Lee is knitting together currently. LMAO. Online books  are a guaranteed to fail concept,  
"The whole collecting thing" is where human passion comes into play, and Digital will NEVER replicate that passion. If Marvel and DC should fall at this point it would just make room for something better... 
#42 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters goin' hate. 

Marvel doesn't need a reboot although it would be interesting to see how it would be handled. I think it would be between the 616 and Ultimate Universe. I remember years ago, before Avengers got really good, there were strong rumors that Ultimate Universe was going to take over the 616 and that would be it. Luckly that didn't happen (and surprisingly Ultimate started to really suck thanks to Loeb) and we got some awesome stories with the 616. 

The thing is though that it hasn't stopped Marvel from trying to make their comics more accessible to new readers. Remember that was the whole point of Ultimate Comics. They also have a reboot of sorts with the Season One comics which could be interesting. Marvel doesn't really need it though. They tend to tweek things around in their own way like Peter's marriage and dealing with mutants. I seriously found DC hard to follow and with the big events, it just made it harder because I wasn't vested in the universe to really care. 

I can understand how big Marvel events can scare some new readers away but they do tend to sell more books. Marvel really needs to step up it's product, not because it is slacking but there is potential to get their own new readers interested in 52 and just DC readers taking an opportunity to read these books. The 99 cent books are a great way to try them out but I can't tell you how many free comics I have downloaded from the Marvel App. Way more than the DC version (I HATE the preview comics on there btw). 

We could see a sort of Marvel "reboot" with Marvel doing the movies now and wanting to create it's own universe for these characters. Would be cool if they could then combine the different movies in at least the comics even if say Spider-Man is with Sony and Iron Man is with DIsney.

#43 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: I did not find any thing in your statement I disagree with. I highly agree with your last paragraph about the movie universe thing, that would be cool.
#44 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing though is if the DCnU does not work, who will get the axe? I think there are 4 people that are at risk for it all... 

Geoff Johns

Helped drive DC through the past 10 years or so. Really the creative power behind the DC. One would argue that he has the most to loose if people don't like the direction of DCnU. Worst case is though he would step down and just go back to being a writer. He is writing the flagship title of Justice League so if that doesn't sell we could see him step away from comics in general for a while till movies or Marvel or DC again calls for his services. Helped guided WB's Green Lantern movie into being a bomb so Hollywood may not be craving him yet.  

Jim Lee  

Part of the creative direction of DC but more on the art side with doing redesigns of almost all of the new DC. Overall most people seem to enjoy the updated looks but costumes are easy to change back. If the DCnU comes back to bite him his art will still be wanted for any company. Wildstorm is not really a separate company for operation but maybe he would go back to Image? Independent properties excel there like The Walking Dead. Jim doesn't really have any of his own characters that he could sell to a movie studio and rake in money with. Could he? Of course but that would require him to create stories and characters not for DC. Can't see him doing that while being at the top of DC. I am sure he would still do art for top dollar but if he gets booted from DC's top Marvel would gladly scoop him up for a ridiculous exclusive contract. 

Dan Didio  

What I feel is the man that will end up falling on the sword if DCnU doesn't work. I feel his hand was forced to do something drastic and more than likely didn't want to but would loose his job either way. If that does happen he would go back to Hollywood where his services in film and TV maybe needed or wanted. Heck, Disney may hire him! He did some really great stuff in the mid 2000's but this is a what have you done for me lately environment.  

Diane Nelson  

Target No. 1! Nothing against her but she is the head of DC Entertainment and they havn't had an excellent ride so far. Green Lantern failed, period. That was on her watch. DCnU is all about her and how to help rebrand and sell these characters for the big screen. There is also very little in the pipe line for other major movies other than Dark Knight Rises, which she has very little to do with considering the other movies were made before she got the job, and Superman: Man of Steel. Her job maybe safe till Superman comes out but in the entertainment biz, your job is not really secured. Typically you either get fired or you end up somewhere else before you get fired. She could say she loves DC and comics and then out of no where she becomes the head of Lifetime. She helped get and secure the Harry Potter license but that has all been used up by WB. Not like they are going to do remakes of that anytime soon.  

I think overall the order that, if the DCnU fails, WB would announce some restructing and almost everyone could be out of their positions. Diane Nelson and Dan Didio are obvious targets but Diane could get rid of Dan to save her job. I doubt Dan would do that to Jim or Geoff to save his job. Again this is just what ifs
#45 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47 said:
@bingbangboom: I did not find any thing in your statement I disagree with. I highly agree with your last paragraph about the movie universe thing, that would be cool.
They have said that it is part of their "Marvel Cinematic Universe" Comics that I am sure we will see pushed harder when the Avengers is closer to coming out. Possibly like comics that bridge the gap of say Incredible Hulk and Avengers, etc. Thing is that they say it is Marvel Studios movies but that doesn't mean characters not featured in these movies can't be in the comics. Again if you remember this past year, we got a ton of Thor and Captain America books so that they could release trades for when the movie came out. I am sure we will see books based on The Avengers and all the characters in the movie.
#46 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47 said:
  But in the end it would be nicer for people like Hank Pym
And even with a hardcore reboot fans would still dwell on the fact he slapped Jane. So a reboot definitely wouldn't help ol' Hank.
#47 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: I meant like of how many identities he has had, its sort of ridiculous he has had what 6??? I want him to just be Antman my favorite of all of his persona's. The slapping Jan thing people need to get over. Plus that was a total mistake by the artist, he thought the writer was going for a slap in the face but he meant somthing else intirely different lol. 
#48 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47 said:
@Nova`Prime`: I meant like of how many identities he has had, its sort of ridiculous he has had what 6??? I want him to just be Antman my favorite of all of his persona's. The slapping Jan thing people need to get over. Plus that was a total mistake by the artist, he thought the writer was going for a slap in the face but he meant somthing else intirely different lol. 
She had it coming! LOL 

Honestly the guy changes so many times that he should just go by Hank Pym. Don't really think it would help him much really but Marvel characters are flawed. This was also a long time ago where if you watch Mad Men, shit like that happened.
#49 Posted by CosmicGod432 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Rebooting Marvel would have some positive effects but would have more negative effects. The Marvel universe is so much larger than the DC universe.

#50 Posted by Dernman (14884 posts) - - Show Bio

I read in a interview somewhere some of the talent are talking reboot as a good idea. It's just talks right now but Marvel is watching DC very closely and I would imagine the outcome of DC's reboot will effect if it goes further.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.