Marvel NOW! a good entry?

#1 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm interested to start reading Marvel comics, since I only read DC except for some Deadpool stuff. But I'm not quite sure where to start... Sooo now I stumbled over the Marvel NOW! "re-boot" and asked myself if this is an opportunity to start right here. What do you guys think? Can I just start reading Marvel stuff with the #1 issues of NOW! or should I get some other stuff?

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

The relaunch is aiming at introducing new readers. I do recommend you start there.

#3 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though some series don't start with a number 1? Like Red-She-Hulk, or Wolverine and the X-Men.

#4 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

just start with the first issues, it is intended for new readers.

#5 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going to start with marvel now too, so i hope it is new reader friendly

#6 Posted by tahmidk (283 posts) - - Show Bio

i recommend young avengers and wokverine and the xmen

#7 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: What series do you plan on buying?

#8 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner: Captain america, iron man, thor: god of thunder, indestructible hulk and the avengers (and hawkeye too, although that series is not part of marvel now). Basically all the movie avengers related stuff, which im more familiar with

#9 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: What Avengers? Uncanny, New or "Avengers"?

#10 Edited by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner: I think that Marvel Now should be a good entry point. Since almost all of the titles are shifting creative teams, each book should be significantly different from the current offering. There are only a couple titles that are not renumbering because their current teams are staying on and continuing their stories (Daredevil, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Scarlet Spider, Red She Hulk, and a few others). If you are just getting started with Marvel, I would recommend some of the team books to get acquainted with the characters. The Avengers title written by Hickman is supposed to have up to 18 different characters that will be featured. Here are the books that I am planning to pick up from Marvel Now:

1. Captain America- Remender is taking the book in a completely different direction than the realism that Brubaker brought. He will be dropping Cap in a different dimension. Releasing in November
  2. Uncanny Avengers - Focuses on 3 Avengers (Cap, Thor, Scarlet Witch) and 3 X-Men (Wolverine, Rogue, Havok) as they try to work together after AVX. First issue has already been released.
  3. Avengers - Hickman is good writer and I am interested to see the big cast. Releasing in November I believe
  4. Secret Avengers - Team is used by SHIELD for secret op work. Apparently they are all equipped with mind wiping tech so none of them remember doing any of the missions. I think the concept sounds cool. Not releasing until the last month of the Now releases.
  5. Thunderbolts - Vicious team of killers featuring Red Hulk, Electra, Punisher, Deadpool, and Venom. It seems like a fun team to follow. I will definitely give it a couple issues.
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy and or Nova - I really enjoy the previous Marvel Cosmic but I am not fond of Bendis' work with GOTG in Avengers Assemble and not happy about the new Nova.
  7. Winter Soldier and Hawkeye - Not part of Marvel Now but they are the other two Marvel books that I will continue to read. WS has 12 issues out and Hawkeye has 3 and they are both fantastic.
#11 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: So I'm already reading quite a few DC books regularly and I haven't got enough money to buy 7 or more books in addition every month... I thought about getting like 3 or 4 (5 max.) and Deadpool is already taking one of those 3 to 5. What series (4 max) would you recommend me to get a good overall look?

#12 Edited by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner said:

@Cap10nate: So I'm already reading quite a few DC books regularly and I haven't got enough money to buy 7 or more books in addition every month... I thought about getting like 3 or 4 (5 max.) and Deadpool is already taking one of those 3 to 5. What series (4 max) would you recommend me to get a good overall look?

Avengers by Hickman. Huge cast and great writer. Perfect way to introduce yourself to characters.

Uncanny Avengers because it has both Avenger and X men issues to deal with. I also think this book will be a driving force in laying out how the Marvel U will look going forward. Plus have plenty of cameos since both teams are involved.

Thunderbolts. Since you like Deadpool and he is on the team. Plus the rest of the team is awesome. They released a couple uncolored panels that didnt look to impressive but I think it will look good all colored in.

I can't really help with the X side of the Universe.

Wjat DC titles are you reading? That may help to point yoy to specific characters that you may enjoy.

#13 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: So far the titles your naming sound pretty nice, thanks!

Right now I'm reading Batman, The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl, Catwoman (you see my focus lies on Gotham ;) ), Flash, Red Lanterns, Suicide Squad, Justice League and Talon

#14 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner: Avengers only, im not interested in the other variations

#15 Posted by OmegaHans (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait... Punisher of all people is on a team?

I think I stepped into the Twilight Zone.

#16 Posted by tomlikesfries (4626 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine and the X-men is not relaunching.

Also, you should try Hawkeye. It's still in issue #3.

#17 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner: I'm guessing from your current DC pull list that you like street level characters. I do as well. I know you said you only wanted a couple books to get started but there are a couple others I would like to recommend if you had any space open up based on your current list. These books all deal with onecharacter so it maybe better to wait for their trades later after you get familiar with a lot of the characters from the team books.

1. Winter Soldier. It is a combination of Jason Bourne and James Bond. The book just released its 12th issue. The first arc was good but the last two havebeen phenomenal. If you aren'tfamiliar with the character, he is Captain Americas sidekick in the war whom everbody thought died. He was brought back about 8 years ago and revealed thay he was found by the Russians and reprogrammed into an assassin that they kept in suspended animation between missions. He was released by Cap and then became Cap for a couple years and now he is working undercover trying to take care of things that happened during his time as the Winter Soldier. I can't recommend it highly enough and the original run in Cap was my favorite of all time plus it will be the basis for the Cap2 movie.
  2. Hawkeye - It is only 3 issues in but it has a great combination of action and humor. They art really goes with the stiry and the dialogue may be funniest that I have read in comics.
  3. Daredevil - Admittedly, I have not kept current with this series (plan to coming up) but it is a great street level character and the book has been receiving great praise as on of the best that marvel is putting out. Some fans of the character don't like it because the tone of book has really changed from earlier runs from the early to mid 2000s. I have really liked what I have read of it and look forward to catching up.

As I said earlier, I just wanted to give you some other characters to think about if you ever have an extra opening in your pull list. I would still recommend those team books from my last post though for someone just starting with the Marvel U.

#18 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'll take a look at Winter Soldier, Daredevil isn't my type... allready read a few of his books. And Hawkeye... well I haven't liked Green Arrow and I heard it's pretty close to Hawkeye.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.