Marvel Noob

#1 Posted by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a huge Marvel comics fan when I was little, I loved all the heroes like: Spider-man (which was my favorite), Fantastic Four, X-men..etc. But over the years I've lost interest and started to read DC comics only (Mostly Batman which is now my favorite and the New52 titles). I've recently discovered that I kind of miss Marvel and would love start back reading their comics, but the problem is: I've missed so many major events over the years in Marvel comics. I was excited to hear about Marvel Now! I want to take advantage of this reboot, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Stay away from Iron Man, Superior Spider-Man and X-Men.

I would highly recommend Indestructible Hulk, Daredevil, Thor: god of Thunder and Hawkeye.

Would also be good to check out Avengers, Scarlet Spider, Captain America and Venom. Those are good, not great.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I reccomend

• Indestructible Hulk
  • Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • Hawkeye
  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • FF
#4 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinawayne: Someone said to stay away from X-Men. I don't think that's necessary for plot reasons (the initial issues of ANXM and UXM, for example, clear up pretty well the recent past leading into them), but it may be a good idea just for the number of X-books there are and the fact that this fall there is a massive anniversary crossover event dealing with the lot of them.

Try Hawkeye, though. It's a well-written book that everyone says is great but not enough people are reading.

#5 Edited by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Suggest:

• Daredevil
  • Hawkeye
  • The FF in F stands for FUN :D
  • Young Avengers

Else

• Indestructible Hulk gives me a good vibe. Thanks Mark Waid, but its a book that is simply fun to read, but I have no clue why.
  • All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men builds a new world order, and pushes into new ground. If you want something new...
  • Superior Spider-Man is just like ANXM and UXM, it is... different. Stay away if you like Peter Parker as Spider-Man, but if youre open, then this book provides me (at least) a very interesting study.
  • Avengers and New Avengers are written by the same dude, Johnathon Hickman, who has the knack for (and has mentioned in an interview) that he has got 5 years worth of story planned out. So it might feel like a slowburn right now, but I feel it in my bones that it will lead up to something big.
  • Uncanny Avengers plays off well if you like Remender's Uncanny X-Force. I suggest his X-Force work, but his Avengers is too early to judge.

Sidenote:

• Venom seems fun, but I dropped it awhile back because it didn't live up to my crazy expectations of Remender's run, which I highly recommend.
  • Thor, God Of Thunder seems to be gathering a massive fanbase, but I'm not a Thor fan, so...
  • Just like Thor, Captain Marvel is also doing well, which I give a lot of credit, the first few issues has some AMAZING art IMO.
  • Iron Man seems to be a loser in terms of popularity post Marvel NOW!
#6 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5003 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinawayne: These are the books I'd most highly recommend right now:

• Uncanny Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • X-men
  • Hawkeye
  • Daredevil
  • Uncanny X-men
  • All-new X-men

those last two X-men books I recommend way less than the other books on this list, overall, but I'm enjoying them.

#7 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks guys! The recommended books sound awesome, I'm going to try to get some of these titles. I notice none of you guys mentioned Ultimate Comics: Spider-man, someone told me it was very good. is it?

#8 Posted by nintendork666 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

The majority of my pull-list is Marvel. My favorite current books are Daredevil, Scarlet Spider, Venom and Superior Spider-man (forget the haters). Deadpool's alright too, if you're into that sort of thing.

#9 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Ultimate Spider-Man and it's a good one to get into since it's not too far in so you can go back and read from #1.

#10 Posted by Arinya (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62: Stay away from X-Men???? Almost all the X-Men books are so strong at the moment! All New X-Men has been a great read. So great too see how all the characters interact with each other in a real life kinda way is great! Uncanny X-Men has also been fun to read and still see if the kiddos can hang as X-Men! Even Wolverine and the X-Men has been a consistant fun read! All the books are being so well written!

@selinawayne: You definitely need to check the current X-Men books out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.