Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Gains Sales Traction In December

• 58 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

With December behind us, the start of the new year is looking rather bright for Marvel Comics. The "House of Ideas" had been trailing behind DC in sales since the September launch of the 'New 52,' but according to the latest report from Diamond sales numbers, it seems Marvel is gradually making its comeback.

No Caption Provided

A report in mid-December revealed the overall November sales figures which provided that DC remained at the top, with five of its ongoing series continuing to break the 100K sales mark, and four of those five maintaining the top four spots: Justice League #3 with 158,700, Batman #3 with 150,984, Action Comics #3 with 134,875 and Green Lantern #3 with 122,644. These are based on Diamond sales figures only and do not take into account the number of digital comics sales.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

December was, however, a good month for Marvel since Marvel was able to gain some traction. Marvel comics sales increased a little over 1% from 37.94% to 39.05% while DC fell from 39.66% to 37.72%.

As the market begins to shift, do you think that Marvel will once again reign supreme in the top spot, or do you think that DC has solidified their sales figures and will continue to hold the top four highest selling monthly comics spots? What do you think of this news?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceIMC

So much for the new 52. I mean some of DC's books are really good but it wasn't going to change things in the long run.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think as more Marvel movies come out like Avengers and Amazing Spider-man a lot more Marvel comics will get sold and we will see an increase in their sales. Than maybe they will have a chance to beat DC again.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So Marvel sales increased 1.11% and DC sales decreased 1.94 %. Kinda bummed out by that but its not surprising. I think DC's New 52 is finally seeing an end to its 'honeymoon' period, and now the real work begins now to see that DC keeps itself at the top in the race with Marvel's new found traction. If anything, it makes it interesting now since it seems that the Big Two are neck and neck once more to an almost-even stance in the market. Wild times ahead I say.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@PrinceIMC said:

So much for the new 52. I mean some of DC's books are really good but it wasn't going to change things in the long run.

Kinda funny they've only now revealed the name of Pandora then recently then, huh? Release her name at a time when sales go down, especially considering her character is seeming more like a fail-safe to the DCU every second we are exposed to her.

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatClaw89

The only reason Marvel takes the market is because they have thousands of comics out and DC is going with quality not quantity. How many X-MEN and Avengers tittles are out there?

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DChero

i think dc needs to shove more big crossover events down our throats like marvel does lol. i liked most of their crossovers though.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By jsphsmth

A reversion to the mean is hardly a surprise.

DC said at the beginning of the relaunch that they weren't expecting a large increase in print customers. The move was largely about capturing the digital customers and we will never see those numbers.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WildStyle

Nobody should be surprised. It was going to happen eventually.

But in all honesty, who cares? All that should matter is quality and both Marvel and DC have a good number of worthwhile books. It's why we became fans of comics in the first place. To read good stories.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

well DC had one week without any releases.
    BB

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsphsmth

@aztek_the_lost: Over the past few years, Marvel has supported many more comics per month than DC. A quick tally of the December solicits show 93 comics released by Marvel vs 63 released by DC.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adnan

Hang on a second, there aren't any major events going on over at Marvel atm, are there? Less universe-wide events = increase in sales, they should learn from that lol

And as long as DC don't start going on a cancelling spree like Marvel did, I'm content.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jordanstine

According to today's Bleeding Cool article (January 3, 2012), Marvel already took the top:

In September, DC Comics took back marketshare from Marvel Comics. This gave DC the lead in both dollars spent and the number of comics bought in the North American direct market. And October and November only consolidated that position as market leader.

In December, however, Marvel seem to have clawed some of that back. They still don’t have the lead they enjoyed earlier in the year, but it’s a sign of the market normalising slightly. Marvel started to close the gap between DC in November. While DC let the fifth week go with hardly any comics out at all in December, Marvel pushing out product for all weeks of December allowed them to completely take the lead and close it.

DC fell from 34.69% to 33.74%, while Marvel rose from 33.3% to 34.43% of dollars spent in December 2011.

And for the number of comics bought, Marvel led again increasing from 37.94% to 39.05% against DC falling from 39.66% to 37.72%.

This seems to be following Bleeding Cool’s earlier analysis, of the market settling down with Marvel still in the lead, but enjoying much less marketshare than they used to, with a far healthier DC Comics in second place – and sales overall being up on a year ago.

PUBLISHERRETAIL
    MARKET
    UNIT
    MARKET
    MARVEL COMICS34.43%39.05%
    DC COMICS33.74%37.72%
    IMAGE COMICS6.75%4.89%
    IDEA & DESIGN WORKS LLC5.26%4.43%
    DARK HORSE COMICS3.97%3.34%
    DYNAMIC FORCES3.35%3.27%
    EAGLEMOSS PUBLICATIONS LTD1.63%0.37%
    BOOM ENTERTAINMENT1.41%1.32%
    VIZ LLC1.19%0.50%
    ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS0.82%0.98%
    ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC0.69%0.59%
    RANDOM HOUSE0.68%0.20%
    HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA0.35%0.10%
    FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS0.33%0.10%
    HERMES PRESS0.31%0.02%
    ASPEN MLT INC0.30%0.43%
    ONI PRESS INC.0.28%0.09%
    ARCHAIA ENTERTAINMENT LLC0.27%0.08%
    BONGO COMICS0.27%0.35%
    OTHER NON-TOP 103.25%1.59%
    xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14  Edited By xkoenig

DC's sales win was only going to last until after the first few issues of the DCnU period. No one should be basing their comparisons on 52 (!!!!) number ones. Come on, every comic series declines with time, so DC will settle down to a new normal. I like the DCnU, but I'm only sticking with 3 titles from an initial 7.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By ReVamp

Considering Marvel books are more expensive...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Outside_85

The more interesting question for me is if the industry as a whole has been lifted by the New 52 or not.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cagedleo730

@RedheadedAtrocitus: An increase in market share doesn't necessarily mean an increase in sales. If all companies are selling less but Marvel's drop is lower, it will increase the market share. These numbers don't reflect Marvel's month to month sales.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cagedleo730

@aztek_the_lost: Marvel probably doesn't have 52 ongoing but they sure have a lot of double-shipping. They'll cut out the lower sales and ramp up with more double shipping. They always had more quantity.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol keep the excuses coming DC fanboys, you're tragic.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mayo88m

@Billy Batson said:

well DC had one week without any releases.
    BB

And Marvel double shipped a lot of issues too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

DC's New 52 seems to be losing traction now but in any case, Marvel still puts out way more books than DC so the quantity of available books is probably what's allowing them to catch up with DC. Having said that, some of the New 52 titles are pretty rubbish e.g Red Hood and The Outlaws, Static Shock, Suicide Squad and the there are only a few titles I can see people buying from DC for the forseeable future e.g Justice League, Action Comics and Batman.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Misterwizz

Is this topic just an excuse to bash DC?

RedR0bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By RedR0bin

DC will holds its own for the time being. Marvel in my opinion leans too heavily on events and not individual comics which is one of the reasons I do not buy as many Marvel books as I have in the past. It feels like Fear Itself just ended and they are already jumping into Avengers v X-Men, not to mention Spider-Island and Schism that closed '11 out.

My pocket book cannot afford to buy all the titles that are required to understand whats going on during the "event."

DCuN is a nice break from that. I know that DC is revving up for their own event this summer, at lease I do not have to worry about multiple events stacking on top of each other for a full year. I can now buy individual comics and enjoy them separately without having to buy titles that I do not necessarily want just to fill in the gaps.

All that said, I think more people will be inclined to buy titles they want with DC than titles they need (to fill in gaps) with Marvel. Not to say that Marvel does not have a few good titles going right now....few.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @jsphsmth said:

A reversion to the mean is hardly a surprise.

DC said at the beginning of the relaunch that they weren't expecting a large increase in print customers. The move was largely about capturing the digital customers and we will never see those numbers.

I agree with this. The digi comics sales should be shown, as I get all my DC comics on line since the same day as print started.
    Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Not sure if ppl stating facts is qualified as making excuses. Marvel publishes ~10 more titles than DC. Marvel double-ships roughly a dozen titles, a handful of which are $4. DC only has 3 $4 titles w/o any double-shipping, and take 5th week of the month off. I'm not making excuses for DC, just stating facts. It's bound to happen that Marvel regains its top spots in $ and unit share since they publish more comics than DC and are more expensive than DC.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#27  Edited By The Impersonator

The main reason for Marvel to increase their comic book sales is because of numerous events are happening in the Marvel Universe.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jordanstine

@Dr_Cheesesteak said:

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Not sure if ppl stating facts is qualified as making excuses. Marvel publishes ~10 more titles than DC. Marvel double-ships roughly a dozen titles, a handful of which are $4. DC only has 3 $4 titles w/o any double-shipping, and take 5th week of the month off. I'm not making excuses for DC, just stating facts. It's bound to happen that Marvel regains its top spots in $ and unit share since they publish more comics than DC and are more expensive than DC.

Debunking the notion of higher priced titles = more market share...

That's why shares are divided into 2 categories: "Retail Market Share" for price, and "Unit Market Share" for quantity.

Sure comics priced at $3.99 over $2.99 will get a bigger percentage of the Retail Market Share, but that doesn't stop consumer from still purchasing it, hence the Unit Market Share.

PUBLISHERRETAIL
    MARKET
    UNIT
    MARKET
    MARVEL COMICS34.43%39.05%
    DC COMICS33.74%37.72%
    IMAGE COMICS6.75%4.89%
    IDEA & DESIGN WORKS LLC5.26%4.43%
    DARK HORSE COMICS3.97%3.34%
    Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dr_Cheesesteak said:

@HotSauceCommittee said:

All of which has been true for many months prior, Marvel hasn't suddenly started double shipping, hence regaining the top spot, and as Jordan explained, price is irrelevant to unit share. 

DC has simply sold less this month, a trend that is likely to continue in the coming month, those September/ October figures were never going to last.
    Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

of course they will! i believe they can gain back the top spot especially with an interesting x-men story and well avengers vs x-men!

eclecticmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By eclecticmess

@BatClaw89: You're exactly right. Marvel releases around 100 books each month and DC has about 60, yet their market share is almost the same. Clearly DC books are selling higher.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BritishMonkey

i hope so

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sekele

Won't make me pick-up Marvel again, unless they produce something worthwhile again

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_stegman

well it's not surprising seeing as how 

-Marvel still produces more titles 
    -Marvel books are more expensive 
    -Dc went a week without producing any titles  
    -The New 52 is no longer "New"

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WildStyle

I can't help but shake my head after reading some of these responses on here. Some of you take this stuff way too seriously. It's just comics folks.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hamz

What I'd be more interested in finding out about is how/what the other smaller publishers plan on increasing their market share while both DC and Marvel hold such a high majority between them.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Joe Venom

Sweet! Dynamite is up 0.18% xD

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Too early to call, but I've said all along Marvel would catch/pass DC within a year. It appears I was about 6 months off.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of these reasons as to why Marvel have a bigger share are just plain silly. So what if Marvel books cost $1 more & they ship more? Bottom line people are buying Marvel even if it is a $1 more. The fans, not just people who whine & moan on message boards, have spoken w/their wallets. Apparently there are people who actually enjoy events, Bendis's Avengers & the direction JoeQ has taken Marvel. Who knew?

Everyone should have known that some of these numbers for DC was inflated w/collectors cashing in trying to buy multiple copies thinking in 5,10, 20,50 years that the issue will be worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By blur1528

Well I would hope that Marvel would be able to do something. I picked up two copies of X-Force, Cap and Ult X-Men in that month

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cagedleo730

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: Intelligent people know about the No. 1 issue collector craze. That doesn't make DC sales invalid. They had a legitimate sellout. But 1 issue doesn't make or break anything. The eventual sales drop is happening as usual. I don't understand that stating facts about Marvel sales is silly. If you ship more you should sell more if your product is good. DC doesn't ship as much but still sell a lot. That's a good thing for their bottom line. Both DC and Marvel are winners here.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By DanialCarroll

I started with all 52 of the New 52 and am now down to about 8 I think, so I'm not that surprised it has evened out. If the quality isn't there, you're going to lose readers, no matter which publisher you are.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By shawn87

Say what you want about Marvel but they know how to run a business 

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By luckydomino1

considering that marvel comics cost more thats why they got up in sales lol really really really what an awesome excuse admit it new 52 isnt as awesome as people hyped it up to be

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Mercy_

@luckydomino1 said:

considering that marvel comics cost more thats why they got up in sales lol really really really what an awesome excuse admit it new 52 isnt as awesome as people hyped it up to be

It's not even just that they cost more, although that certainly is a factor.

It's the sheer amount of comics that they continue to put out.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Saren

This has nothing to do with the cost of Marvel's comics. It has nothing to do with public reception to the new 52. It has everything to do with DC not releasing anything for an entire week while Marvel continued to put issues on the shelf. I mean seriously, how hard is it to do a little research? But no, it's easier to go "LOL NEW 52 SUCKS MARVEL FTW", right?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47  Edited By SC  Moderator

Hmmmn this thread seems to have people who know business and numbers well, hey guys, lets like all put in $20 dollars and make like thousands of dollars overnight? That way we can be personally invested in the most badass awesome comics company around, our own. No more jibber, jabber, whose with me? Lesbians!! Exactly. 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheCrowbar

I think this really just proves how bad Fear Itself was.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Trodorne

Personally i could not give a crap about the big two. as long as i have my favorites to read its fine. 

Come on Red5 comics you will get up there some day with your comic sales. People just need to get into Atomic Robo more.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CATPANEXE

Both Marvel and DC are good. Comics are good. I'm glad they exist and everything related to them does. I'm really lucky to live such a life. I hope they both do well and excel because then the industry itself will stay afloat and be able to provide better products to me.

No Caption Provided

* pictured: Artists, or a fishes, I'm really not sure and don't know everything so quit asking already, geez almighty, conception of DC and Marvel fans embracing each other and...I don't know, really there's just the one picture and nothing that comes after, but I assume no ones head get's popped up and everyone wins and is happy? That sounds about right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.