Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Doubles the Value in their Top Selling Comics

• 88 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

These days we're seeing more comics with a $3.99 price tag. It's always unfortunate when publisher raise their prices for whatever reason is necessary. Bottom line, making comics isn't cheap. There's a lot of cost that goes into making them including paying the creators. Marvel tends to have a few titles at the $3.99 price point but starting in June, they'll be giving you a little something extra for that $3.99. All $3.99 titles will now include codes for free digital copies of those same issues on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices at no extra cost.

No Caption Provided

David Gabriel, SVP of Sales, Marvel Entertainment, had this to say:

We’re committed to bringing fans the best value in comics. By including codes for free digital copies in all our $3.99 super hero comics, we’re doing just that. We’ve seen a tremendous response to the digital codes in Avenging Spider-Man, our Season One graphic novels and the Ultimate Comics line. The positive reactions from both retailers and fans make it clear that including these codes with our books drives customers into comic stores on a repeated basis.

You're still getting the same amount of content. Now you're getting a free digital copy which is cool. We know that DC is charging an extra dollar for the same idea (so JUSTICE LEAGUE costs $3.99 for the physical copy and $4.99 if you want both. It's a step in the right direction. Maybe someday we'll see other content being offered digitally along with the extra copy for the same price.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

What are your thoughts on this? Does it make a difference to you?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    Why would I need a digital copy of  A comic I already own?
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

@The Stegman: So you can read it digitally? Some people pay an extra dollar for them with DC Comics. Some people like reading them digitally but still want the physical copy.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Adnan

Neat. I imagine it'd be particularly nice for the wiki editors round here, no need to physically scan pages/panels and all that.

edit: wait, these only work on the iOS and Android apps?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @G-Man: Meh, I don't like reading comics Digitally..hurts my eyes, matter of fact, unless I feel like I missed something, or really really liked an issue, I won't even read a physical copy more than once.
    Kurisu86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kurisu86

@The Stegman: Well I guess you wouldn't need it, per se. But then again, you don't technically need the comic to begin with.

One use that immediately comes to my mind would be to help get a friend interested in a title. Some people I know do not know how to take care of other people's things. If I don't want to loan him my physical copy, I can just give him the code to get the free digital copy (provided I haven't already used it, of course). I'm not sure what Marvel's terms of use are regarding this, but it is a way to help generate a larger fanbase.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Kurisu86: Hmm I guess that could help, didn't think of it that way...however... 

But then again, you don't technically need the comic to begin with.

I DO NEED THEM! If i don't have them..I get angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By SevanGrim

@The Stegman said:

Why would I need a digital copy of A comic I already own?

if your a collector, you dont have to keep touching your comic.

if you like to re-read, you dont have to dig through your collection and carry multiple fragile issues around when you travel.

If you have a friend or family member who might be interested,you dont have to give them something they can ruin.

if you sell your books, you still have digital copies. Same for if they get damaged.

There are many reasons why digital copies are a good idea. It just doesnt make sense that we are being charged a dollar extra, or that Marvel virtually demands it.

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By thanosrules

Question for those of you who have ventured down the digital path... is the text searchable? or does it load images of the pages?

The only reason I really ever re-read a comic (unless for some reason I am feeling nostalgic) is to reference something... more and more I feel like a lawyer referencing tomes of information to prove a point... funny that I hated doing book reports so much as a child, and now I love writing reviews...

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sora_thekey

Wait. Wait. Wait! When did Nor-Varr switch alliances?!

dravenmort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dravenmort

I like this move. Personally I always buy combo packs if they are available; I will read the paper copy once and bag it then when I want to re-read it I just go digital. This helps keep the original in good condition, plus I can share my comics with my kids this way.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By deadpool25mm

"for iOS and Android devices " and those who dont have....

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThomasElliot

Digital comics alone should be CONSIDERABLY cheaper.

Free digital version w/ physical version... yeah. Given the choice, I'm not gonna pay MORE to have the same book I just paid for. Included, it s a good bonus. As a monetary extra, pointless.

However, all of this is incredibly pointless when you continue to make device-exclusive branding. Oh wow, Marvel is going to give me a free digital copy on a device I don't own.

Pirating flourishes because of stupidity.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SevanGrim

@thanosrules: TO THE TOMES!

lol me too with a few exceptions. I only even buy old comics (05 and before) to broaden my understanding of a topic.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By kennybaese

If I had a proper device for reading digital comics, I'd totally take advantage of this, but my Kindle Fire screen is a bit small for it. The high res screen on the new iPad could make digital comics truly viable though. For me at least. If I had one, I'd totally buy my books this way are a way to support my local comic shop, but still have a digital version on my portable device.

Anyway, this is a great way to one up DC with their day and date digital books. They just need it for all of their books.

EDIT: Wow, that was all super rambly...

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#15  Edited By thanosrules

@deadpool25mm: what kind of device do you have?

@Grim: lol, yeah, I messed that up. Tomb of Tomes. yeah, that is what I meant ;)

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By That60sGuy

I only read digital comics now anyway as i do most of my reading on the train to work and can't be holding open a comic while trying to grab a handrail!

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Rowen545

I get the push for digital comics but I prefer paper. Take Batman #5, I really think that issue would have lost something if I had not had it physically in my hands. If you have read it you know what I'm talking about.

radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By radar5

I've been looking to move to digital once I finish the back log of paper comics i currently have. I've bought a few and really enjoyed the experience on my Kindle Fire. Reading them on my smaller smartphone isn't all that great, but that's part of why I looked into the 7" tablet market. I wouldn't mind this as it gives me both options at the same price rather than spending just as much for the digital copy. Is this Marvel comics app tied into comixology (Like DC) or a Marvel standalone app?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I have no use for Digital Comics.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By CombatSpoon86

For once, they did something right with the horrible pricing. A small start. But you have a long way to go to make me buy alot of your 3.99 books.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Iron Apollo

This is exciting and will definately add value to the money I'm spending!

Mecha_Booshh91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mecha_Booshh91

@ThomasElliot: Why should they be cheaper?

The price we pay isn't mostly the cost to produce the book physically. The price we pay goes to paying those who actually make it. Those who write and draw and ink and color and letter and edit. So if everyone bought comics digitally in your world where digital comics are cheaper, We wouldn't have these people because they couldn't make a considerable living.

MarvelMan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By MarvelMan1985

Uhm yeah...why would I want a Digital Copy if I have the real one already? I would like some extra pages instead of paying 4 dollars for 20 pages (Yeah Marvel just took 2 pages of ALL their comics since a few months :S)

sdunham818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sdunham818

I love this idea. I haven't been too impressed with Marvel as of late but am excited for this.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Pokeysteve

I wonder how much the artists make per page compared to commissions they do at cons and stuff. Obviously it depends on the artist but still.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By BatteredArmor

.....isn't UXM their best selling title? Why isn't that going digital apparently?

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By feargalr

You go marvel

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By zombietag

how about NO. its hard for me to believe that anyone would rather have more expensive comics that come with a digital code than just straight up paying less money for comics. i can understand theyre trying to "better the value" and maybe $3.99 is just hard to do for marvel with how much they pay the creative teams and such, but for me id rather just pay less period and stop trying to make me feel better you know.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ReVamp

The value isn't doubled at all.

They need to go the DC route.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By xkoenig

I grudgingly understand Marvel's pricing choices: paper costs and salary costs of high profile creators are undoubtedly high, but it still bites when a $3.99 comic gives you only 20 pages of story. And no, filler at the back really doesn't make up for that (except in some rare cases). DC isn't doing much better in its $3.99 offerings. This 'digital copy freebie' is a good move though, as it is something of some actual value.

frochez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frochez

What's to stop people from just wandering into a shop, copying down the codes, and then downloading them for free? Other than their own sense of morality, of course...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Billy Batson

@frochez said:

What's to stop people from just wandering into a shop, copying down the codes, and then downloading them for free? Other than their own sense of morality, of course...

ha, win.
    BB

thveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thveej

@frochez said:

They probably have it covered or something. But if a D bag was to do that, that person might as well download it illegally..... if ur gonna get it illegally u might as well do it from comfort of ur own home.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Martian

If they're top comics aren't $2.99 then I'm not interested...

Avatar image for sweetesttoaster
    sweetesttoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sweetesttoaster

There is no extra value in this. Just give us more pages of content or lower the price. This is so freaking pointless.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zackattack529

See i think the digital comics are a good idea. but the thing is i like to collect comics for nostalgic purposes. this is why i like what ultimate comics did, they have the same price for the comic with a free digital copy. so i get both. ill read the comic, then get the code, then put the comic in a bag and board cover, then read it for further use on my ipod :p

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By sj_esposito

This seems like a good way to start integrating the reading base into digital without stepping on the retailers' toes (for now). It's inevitable that comics--and literature in general--goes wholly digital in the near future. There isn't really any other option. We may as well be thankful that the companies are letting us wade into the water here for free for a little bit before hardcopies start disappearing.

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wowylied

It is nice to see this but we are really in the dark age of digital comic, we still have overpriced digital issue, they are like only the usa exist on the internet because there is no translation on comixology and seriously why don't they add an option to download what we have bought ? It is really stupid to only keep the online viewing because when we are reading them online we can found all the pics in the cache so we are currently downloading them.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NXH

Needless to say, but those are some bad ass covers I must say.

SkottJimenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SkottJimenez

@Grim said:

@The Stegman said:

if you like to re-read, you dont have to dig through your collection and carry multiple fragile issues around when you travel.

If you have a friend or family member who might be interested,you dont have to give them something they can ruin.

if you sell your books, you still have digital copies. Same for if they get damaged.

There are many reasons why digital copies are a good idea. It just doesnt make sense that we are being charged a dollar extra, or that Marvel virtually demands it.

A collector doesn't mind touching his comics. We take care in it. I'm currently re-reading many older books now and having a blast going through older comics.

When I travel I carry multiple issues in things called trade paperbacks. Essentials, to be exact. They never need to be recharged, I never worry about dropping and breaking them, someone stealing them and if I lose it on the way I'm out no more than $20.

I have friends I've gotten into comics. They borrow my trades.

I don't sell my comics and most are available in trades these days. If something were to happen to my monthlies I would simply purchase the trade or search online for replacements.

Digital is of no use to me. I'm with The Stegman here. This isn't double any value. It's giving me something I'm not going to use and none of my friends will use either. I also get a new hideous graphic on my covers promoting something I simply have no use or interest in. It's an annoyance, not an added value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@The Stegman said:

in case it burns in a fire?

onyxwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By onyxwave

@SkottJimenez said:

They never need to be recharged, I never worry about dropping and breaking them, someone stealing them and if I lose it on the way I'm out no more than $20.

I can totally see where you're coming from when you say that this added value doesn't apply to you since you've decided not to jump on the eComic train, however, I for one would be pretty damn pissed if I lost or if someone took $20 out of my pocket! $20 can still buy quite a lot in this inflation crazed society. lol, I'm just saying.

onyxwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By onyxwave

Personally, I LOVE eComics, so I think this is a great step in the right direction. My life is so fast paced and my home is already so cluttered with material goods that any time I have a chance to switch something from physical to digital, I'm on it! I've taken the steps to go as digital as possible when it comes to all my entertainment goods. I'm a collector (not a serious about it as I used to be thanks to more am more new responsibilities popping up) so I still have my large 5,000 paper comics in a temperature controlled storage unit. However, I mostly on still have these for nostalgic purposes because I agree...there still is much value received from opening a paper comic in near excellent condition and admiring the work put into making such a great piece of artwork and then smelling the paper (as long as you've kept the condition great). I love that! Even with that though, I also like the thought that I could literally carry over 100,000 comics in high definition perfect quality (when scanned properly) in the palm of my hand on a small 1TB hard drive. That is just freaking AMAZING! That saves a lot of space and the cost of that hard drive, plus another as a backup is a lot easier and cheaper to maintain than my 5,000 book collection by far. So to each his/her own, because as long as we have the option to chose either format, the rest really doesn't matter. :)

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SevanGrim

@SkottJimenez said:

@Grim said:

@The Stegman said:

A collector doesn't mind touching his comics. We take care in it. I'm currently re-reading many older books now and having a blast going through older comics.

When I travel I carry multiple issues in things called trade paperbacks. Essentials, to be exact. They never need to be recharged, I never worry about dropping and breaking them, someone stealing them and if I lose it on the way I'm out no more than $20.

I have friends I've gotten into comics. They borrow my trades.

I don't sell my comics and most are available in trades these days. If something were to happen to my monthlies I would simply purchase the trade or search online for replacements.

Digital is of no use to me. I'm with The Stegman here. This isn't double any value. It's giving me something I'm not going to use and none of my friends will use either. I also get a new hideous graphic on my covers promoting something I simply have no use or interest in. It's an annoyance, not an added value.

Those are all good for you. And good for you! but you cant speak for everyone. Some people would rather vault away their books. Some people would rather carry a charger and something half the size of a trade that can store hundreds of issues than carry half a dozen uncomfortable. And so on and so on.

Digitals are not for you, but you need to be able to step outside of yourself and see why they are a good idea in general.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@primepower53:

@The Stegman said:
    in case it burns in a fire?

If my house is on fire...wouldn't my computer burn too? or even more likely, a black out could occur

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KidSupreme

@The Stegman said:

lol true dat!

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By moywar700

@Billy Batson said:

@frochez said:

ha, win.
    BB

This happened before to a game I played . There was a code in a magazine that lets people get a costume for your character. The magazine wasn't protected and people would just walk up to the magazine and copy the code without even buying it.People were really mad on the forums.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Or35ti

It's good Marvel is putting some more value into their high pricing. Too bad digital ain't for me. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a new freshly-bought physical comic book in your hands. I'm feeling that right now :)

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WildValentine

Who drew that Amazing Spiderman cover? It looks amazing!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Billy Batson

@WildValentine said:

Who drew that Amazing Spiderman cover? It looks amazing!

Frank Martin Jr.
    BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.