Marvel Divas

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Divas

From myspace.com/comicbooks

Ted and Lisa
What's going on with female Marvel characters? Jean Grey's been dead for several years now, Shadowcat's basically dead, Ms. Marvel & Wasp are dead, Scarlet Witch and Songbird have been written out, She-Hulk's been replaced, Storm's usage is limited... any comments? Just trying out some fresh faces?

JQ: We’ve got a lot of strong female characters in all our books right now. The X-books always have a lot of strong female characters. Domino, Wolfsbane, X-23, Siryn, Monet, Layla Miller, Mirage, Karma, Magick, Magma, Rogue, Armor, Emma Frost, Pixie, and maybe somebody else coming back into the mix…not all of those characters are household names, but honestly neither are some of the ones you mentioned.
Storm’s only really sidelined if you don’t read ASTONISHING or BLACK PANTHER (who’s also female these days…), which you should!

Also, Elektra is female and she’s got her own limited series! Namora and Venus are right up front in Agents of Atlas, while Mockingbird is kicking butt and taking names in New Avengers: The Reunion.
Then over in Guardians of the Galaxy we’ve Gamora, Martyr and Mantis; Medusa and Crystal going to war in War of Kings; and in the pages of Thunderbolts #133, Songbird will be battling it out with Black Widow II. And if that’s not enough for ya, over in War Machine, we have Cybermancer and Bethany Cabe keeping James Rhodes flying, while the magical Jennifer Kale is a star in Marvel Zombies 4.

So I’d say that the ladies of the Marvel Universe are doing pretty good!

And let’s not forget Sue Storm, Valkyrie, Zarda, Carol Danvers, Kitty Pryde & the newly minted She-Hulk (among others!) tearing it up over in the Ultimate Universe.

This also seems like the perfect time to announce our Marvel Divas limited series, beginning in July, from Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Tonci Zonjic, featuring some of the Marvel Universe’s greatest female heroes in a way you haven’t seem them before.
I’ll let Roberto explain:

“The idea behind the series was to have some sudsy fun and lift the curtain a bit and take a peep at some of our most fabulous super heroines. In the series, they're an unlikely foursome of friends--Black Cat, Hell Cat, Firestar, and Photon--with TWO things in common: They're all leading double-lives and they're all having romantic trouble. The pitch started as "Sex and the City" in the Marvel Universe, and there's definitely that "naughty" element to it, but I also think the series is doing to a deeper place, asking question about what it means...truly means...to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns. (And I mean both the super hero industry and the comic book industry.) But mostly it's just a lot of hot fun.
#2 Posted by Nibiru (689 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. That is all.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I"M SO EXCITED.
Hellcat and Black Cat on the same team though seems redundant [i could be wrong because i don't know anything about HC] but i'm soooo excited.

And i love that Armor was listed as a strong X-Female. She's great.

#4 Posted by Watch Dog (834 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this idea the hole team is good and I'm quite happy that Firestar is doing something again

#5 Edited by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
Watch Dog said:
"I like this idea the hole team is good and I'm quite happy that Firestar is doing something again "
Insert horrible comment here.
#6 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that JQ addressed Storm's usage. 

#7 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

MONICA!!!!!!

#8 Posted by Watch Dog (834 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"Watch Dog said:
"I like this idea the hole team is good and I'm quite happy that Firestar is doing something again "
Horrible comment here."
why
#9 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
Watch Dog said:
"Slinger said:
"Watch Dog said:
Horrible comment here."
why"
Not your comment. I censored myself from commenting on your typo (presumed typo anyway.) I should have wrote "insert" at the beginning.
#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Monica doesn't look like sh#t for a change.Go J.Scott Campbell.

#11 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda wish they choose someone besides Hellcat.

#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"I kinda wish they choose someone besides Hellcat."
I think it's a good idea.Marvel hadn't done anything relevant with her in years.
#13 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is kinda boring.

#14 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn you Nobody! *shakes fist* (Did not know Ms. Marvel was dead)

#15 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Damn you Nobody! *shakes fist* (Did not know Ms. Marvel was dead)"
Starts running!

I just copied and pasted! I swear!
#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"I think she is kinda boring."
Did you read her mini?
#17 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

She had a mini?

#18 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
White Mage said:
"I'm glad that JQ addressed Storm's usage.  "
that she's only underused if you don't read comics?
#19 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
It's nice to see Firestar Cnd Black cat in ink again and I think it was a good move on Marvel's part to keep Felicia away from Spider-Man, she can catch up with him later. 
There's also the last part of JoeQ's summary of the sereies "about what it means...truly means...to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns" I hope that plays out.

But initially Q's summary of the series rubbed me the wrong way just a little bit. I mean I love cheesecake but it felt like the series was gonna be nothing but cheescake, but that won't happen. I wish they hired another artist though, I think the cartoonish look is what worries me most. 

But I guess with the Dark tone of the Marvel U these days a lighter comic is appreciated.
#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Sex and the city-esque, I think Felica may be our Samantha Jones!

#21 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Sex and the city-esque, I think Felica may be our Samantha Jones!"
Isn't sure what that is supposed to mean.
#22 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"pixelized said:
"Sex and the city-esque, I think Felica may be our Samantha Jones!"
Isn't sure what that is supposed to mean."
You've never seen Sex and the City?? Samantha is the... Promiscuous one.
#23 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
You've never seen Sex and the City??"
Can't say that I have.
#24 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

you're missing out on quality television.

#25 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll live, I'm sure.

#26 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

not if you're faced with the choice to go be with your dream man, or wear a one in a lifetime Valentino Gown.

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"She had a mini?"
Yes..It was really good.
#28 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks promising! (take it as you want  sarcasm and everything!)

#29 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Firestar and Black Cat team up and I always thought Photon was one of the most under used characters of the Avengers!  I hope they don't make Felicia like Samantha because that is a stereo type from her true original character.  When Spider-man and her were together she was totally devoted to him and then when they broke up she only dated others to get him jealous to try to win him back.  They when she back emotionally sttached to Flash she didn't cheat on him.  So many writers, today, have taken liberties with characters characteristics that are so alien to how they were originally introduced.  I think these writers should have to research the characters they are going to draw.  The Black Cat has definitely been portrayed as two different characters between her early comics and the later ones. 

#30 Posted by Erik (32793 posts) - - Show Bio

I sure am glad they got rid of Hellcat's toed boots. That seemed stupid to me. 

#31 Posted by Modi (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Well im glad they are featuring Black Cat again, not sure how it will turn out. I just got a big WTF?! from a friend of mine when i showed it him so... LOL.

Yay more black cat.

#32 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like its only one step away from Marvel Girl's Gone Wild to me.

I wonder how they decided to pick those four, did they just put a bunch of second and third teir characters names in a hat and pick them. I don't really see those characters having anything in common.

#33 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess you'll have to read and find out.

#34 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Prefer not to waste anymore money on comics... especially ones I am not that interested in.

#35 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

then you may never know.

#36 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sure I'll find out about it on the vine :)

Especially since it is starring one of my fav female characters, Firestar.

#37 Posted by Puunk (23 posts) - - Show Bio

YES ! I love that Joe called Armor a strong X-Woman. She's awesome.

#38 Posted by blackstormtorrent (155 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant wait to read this

#39 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh*

Quesada has jumped the shark for sure this time. What an awful, awful, awful idea.

What are we going to see in this charmling little Marvel meets "Sex in the City" book? The four of them chatting it up at an expensive Manhattan bistro talking about $700 shoes they want to buy? Thrilling. Or maybe Firestar will catch chlamydia, or there'll be a cheerful abortion in store for Black Cat after the condom breaks. Patsy Walker and Monica Rambeau may even decide they have a taste for each other! If they really want to ruin characters, this is the way to do it.

And it doesn't even make sense, either. To my knowledge, these four have never met each other, let alone been friends. The only one who fits the milieu is Black Cat, who's always been loose. But sweet, virtuous, wait-until-we're-married Firestar? Come off it. Photon used to be a leader of the Avengers for Chrissakes! Alright, she was never a star, but give her a little more respect than this trash. And isn't Hellcat married to Damion Hellstrom anymore? Maybe Mephisto retconned that, too.

I can't wait for the Marvel After Dark licensed adult films sure to come next. Jeph Loeb will direct and Bendis will script the dialogue, so you'll be sure to see plenty of Luke Cage/Jessica Jones action. The sequel will be a 'barely legal' feature with Jubilee and Julie Power.
#40 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i read everything before "chlamydia" and i swooned and sighed with excitement.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.